Author Topic: Amber Kirwan - Murdered - New Glasgow Oct. 9th 2011  (Read 1021028 times)

Nish

• I can't get PTSD, I'm a carrier.
    • View Profile
Re: Amber Kirwan - Murdered - New Glasgow Oct. 9th 2011
« Reply #660 on: October 19, 2011, 01:28:05 PM »
Re:  The shoe:  It is very easy to overlook an item when searching.  In fact in other cases, how often have we heard, gosh we searched that area thoroughly, only to find remains close by months later.  Very often by someone out jogging or walking a dog etc. And  it is very easy to overlook a BLACK SHOE.  It's very colour would blend into the grass and earth.
That is why 2nd and often 3rd searches are done in an area, and even then, items can be missed.

Like looking for one needle among needles, and then haystacks. Being thorough is key.

The last person(s) to see Amber were those at Dooley's - not MC. Someone could of easily folowed her from Dooley's.  It would not be first time this scenario has happened in other places.

Indeed. And without being tarred as someone who is defending the boyfriend, I have to ask, why is this still classified as a missing person's case if folks are so convinced she met with foul play? Or am I just missing some nuances of the process?

Personally, I don't feel one way or the other as to "who it might be", and I agree while the focus is to "find Amber", only so much can be done in that respect, other than support the police, and the official volunteer efforts.

+1.

In the meantime there are two families in agony. Some posters from PC may not like MC, may never have liked MC, and it is difficult to brush aside their feelings about him.  I recognize that.
These families are innocent, they have done nothing wrong, and deserve support.  There is little value in driving a young man into an emotional state, and creating another Victim.
 He is in a place where he is forced to stay in PC, cannot get away from any of his accusers, and this is tragic in itself. I pity him.

JB

I feel for the families and recognize that the young man is going through quite a bit. I am completely on the fence about "judging" anyone or anything and would prefer to sit and wait for more "fact". Then again, I've got no dog in this fight so that is easy for me to say. I am certain that there will be plenty of time to tar and feather someone if that is what is called for in this. But right now none of us know.

All in all my thoughts are with, well, everyone who might be involved in this. Families, friends, cops, firemen, searchers, and so on.

Nish
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:31:39 PM by Nish »

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 19, 2011, 01:28:28 PM »
Couldnt have said it better JB, thanks.  Hometowngirl nice to see some one is being rational and looking at the whole big picture.  Hoping today brings some kind of resolution for both familys and friends.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 19, 2011, 01:30:42 PM »
Very good points Nish.  I agree .

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 19, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Indeed. And without being tarred as someone who is defending the boyfriend, I have to ask, why is this still classified as a missing person's case if folks are so convinced she met with foul play? Or am I just missing some nuances of the process?

This will be classified as a missing person's case unless and until, the police find proof that it is not. It is really irrelevant to the actual investigation if folks are so convinced Amber met with foul play. As in any investigation there has to be proof.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:38:56 PM by debbiec »

Oryx

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 19, 2011, 01:40:51 PM »

This will be classified as a missing person's case until the police find proof that it is not. It is really irrelevant to the actual investigation if folks are so convinced Amber met with foul play. As in any investigation there has to be proof.

I wish people could be objective about these situations.  debbiec, it might be pertinent at this time to place a link in this forum in regards to rules of the forum, as some have joined into the conversation without reading them.......

Interestedinall

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 19, 2011, 01:51:51 PM »
has  anyone looked at the updated article on the disappearance and search....www.pictouadvocate.com

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 19, 2011, 01:53:19 PM »

Good idea Oryx.

One can read the rules for using this site by going to the front page and clicking on "Please Read The Rules Here".

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 19, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »
Yes technically she is classified as a missing person, until police have proof otherwise.
We should not  assume that she may have met with foul play. Who knows, she may have run away, or she may be held captive. One thing is certain.  Amber is Missing. Seldom have I ever observed such an intense search for someone who may have run away, being 19 years of age,  nor such repeated and intense  searches in  the woods and waterways for someone who is held captive.

JB

Oryx

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 19, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »
Yes technically she is classified as a missing person, until police have proof otherwise.
We should not  assume that she may have met with foul play. Who knows, she may have run away, or she may be held captive. One thing is certain.  Amber is Missing. Seldom have I ever observed such an intense search for someone who may have run away, being 19 years of age,  nor such repeated and intense  searches in  the woods and waterways for someone who is held captive.

JB

From what the police have released in the paper, they are following tips......everyone and their dog might have called in tips.  Facebook originated tips at that! I can only imagine how difficult this is for the investigators.

SAP

« Reply #669 on: October 19, 2011, 02:16:22 PM »

Good idea Oryx.

One can read the rules for using this site by going to the front page and clicking on "Please Read The Rules Here".

Debbie, since some are very new to the forum I have captured the link as sometimes people only follow one case; they may just have the case url bookmarked. :)

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=18.0

teachlove

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: October 19, 2011, 02:19:34 PM »
Hello. I think of this site as a "support group" of sorts. With new age technology support groups can reach people nationally and globally. I recognize that many members of this site have experienced loss of a loved one through a crime or a missing loved one. My sympathies to you and appreciation for your interest in Amber. Also, some members are SAR or such with various experience in missing persons. Thank you also for your support and expertise. Our humanity and compassion units us all.

Pictou County is actually quite a lovely place and a nice place to raise a family. It is rich in history, the arts, and recreation. People are generally know to be kind, friendly, generous and supportive. (Of course, every town, city, community, has its dark side.)

This community love and support has resulted in much support for Amber's family and the overwhelming efforts to find Amber. BUT, the shock, horror, sadness and devastation of Amber's disappearance has also resulted in some hysteria, rumors and circus type behaviour. (words i have seen used here) I know this has been upsetting to local, national and global followers of Amber's story. Regardless, everyone near and far are united with the same hope that Amber will be found.

Local efforts may sometimes be perceived as inappropriate but it is all done with the best intentions. The silent majority do not support the 'circus'/ 'parade' type events (rudeness and such also) but appreciate and understand the efforts being made to bring awareness to Amber's missing persons story. The silent majority deal with this devastation with more 'quiet' sadness and reverence and more 'respectful' actions and words. (again, words i have seen used here) All  these perceived 'negatives' are born out of sadness and devastation. No one wants Amber to be forgotten or her story to fizzle out. Everyone wants her to be found.

Amber...My best friend taught Amber a couple of years ago. He told me she was a lovely girl. My son was in Amber's graduation class of 2010.  (Northumberland Regional High School) There were about 230 students in the graduation class. My son and several of Amber's high school classmates were at Doolys that Saturday night. It is both shocking and bewildering to her high school classmates that Amber went missing and so many of them were so nearby. I will never forget on Sunday night (Oct 9th) when my son got a text telling him that Amber was missing.
You may be interested to know that at Amber's high school there are no rumors, accusations or gossip circulating, at least not in my friend's classroom or in my child's classrooms. (different child)

Amber is definitely in the thoughts and prayers of many people locally, nationally and globally. Although there has been some arguing and disagreements, we are all united in wanting Amber to be found.  And we all have the greatest sympathy and sadness for her family, friends and loved ones.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:24:21 PM by teachlove »

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #671 on: October 19, 2011, 02:30:31 PM »
When emotions run high, it's hard to just be objective. Most of us posting on here are just regular people, we form opinions based on what we hear whether warranted or not, it's all being voiced, the good the bad and the ugly. The community wants action and the alternatives are frightening. The lynch mob mentality doesn't help though, the truth will come out, suspicion has led to warrants and only the evidence will lead to charges. It's being looked after, we don't have to repeat the same accusations over and over, it won't make any difference we all know whats up. 

I did read the latest articles in the local paper along with the older ones too- http://www.pictouadvocate.com/2011/10/19/search-for-kirwan-intensifies/

There are sufficient witness to implicate or to exonerate, just have to have patience and let the process complete. Suspicions have been noted about the alibi witness. Do with hold names.

I feel for what the town is going through and empathise with many of the posters sentiments. I thought that Amber would have surfaced by now and that is still the main problem and should be the main focus. One can read between the lines and see what the Police are looking at. If anyone has relevant information about persons of interest, vehicle descriptions, sightings, times, and locations, just make sure it gets to the proper authorities.

Everyone is behind finding her and the truth will eventually come out. A little patience both out there and on here is required at times.  Hopefully the Police will issue an update soon that will put some of the fears to rest.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:34:33 PM by D1 »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 19, 2011, 02:35:46 PM »
BDK:  Thanks for the info on Randy McDonald.   Sorry that my bringing his name up, brought up sad memories....but like you say, the crime against Hazel does sound very much like Amber's disappearance, doesn't it?     I just hope he stays in jail for the whole 19 years....should be life, but that's our Justice System.   

I agree, good post D1.

SAP

« Reply #673 on: October 19, 2011, 02:36:41 PM »
Sar commented that I should tread the rules. Thanks for pointing that out, but I had read and re-read the rules. I have been registered on this site for some time...I'm not a newbie. People should read the rules and they should be adhered to. The main point the rules make is that we should be respectful of others. Like the rules say, if you don't like what someone has to say, just avoid them. But please do go about posting your own thoughts.

When I voice my concerns/opinions on here, please do not try to slight me by being childish or ignorant. Using words like you are "pissed" or telling people to SHUT UP is just childish. It's easy to see who the trouble makers are. Like I said, if you don't like what others say, just ignore them. Meanwhile I will continue to post my opinion as I have the right to do so. It comes down to respect.

Truce.

I agree. What I had a problem with is that all the talk how guilty Mason looked and how the teens you know are afraid to speak the truth, etc etc. Mason has not been declared a suspect by police yet, so his name bandied with thoughts of him having harmed Amber puts management at risk of a lawsuit. Whether you heard the teens say it or not, it is still considered heresay until police make a statement. Juicy media stories don't count.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:41:09 AM by SAP »

Nish

• I can't get PTSD, I'm a carrier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 19, 2011, 02:39:48 PM »
Just a head's up, no names can be mentioned here. The owner of the site is liable if parties choose to sue. See rules.
Even Mason's name should not have been mentioned until police state he is a suspect and I don't think they have.

And do not be fooled by this:

Internet users who post hyperlinks to libellous material posted on other websites cannot be sued for repeating the libel, the Supreme Court of Canada has ruled. The Oct. 19 ruling in Crookes v. Newton protects one of the most basic functions of the Internet -- the ability of users to share links to material posted online, even material they have not fully reviewed and they may not agree with. The court recognized that simply posting a link to material that may be libellous is a far cry from publishing or repeating the libel, let alone endorsing what has been said in the linked post ....

From: http://j-source.ca/article/top-court-protects-online-links-libel-claims

It doesn't protect the person initially posting libellous material, just the folks who link to libellous material.

Those who are familiar with HRM Fire's path down the road of suing internet posters would be familiar with the reach of the law there.

The forum I moderate at has been waiting for some time for this decision as we have been threatened with legal action because of what ordinary members were posting. This is a step in the right direction but the steps are not complete. Good reminder and thanks for broaching the issue, SAP.