Author Topic: Amber Kirwan - Murdered - New Glasgow Oct. 9th 2011  (Read 1021063 times)

Ron

• View Profile
Re: Amber Kirwan - Murdered - New Glasgow Oct. 9th 2011
« Reply #510 on: October 17, 2011, 10:03:33 PM »
Yes PC it is very sad to see how young they are. The video gives the names a face.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 17, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »
Watching all of this unfold, it is obvious that it has taken on a life of it's own. It is spinning out of control and I can't comprehend the fact that no one is stepping up to put a stop to all this nonsense. Doesn't someone have to ok a parade? Like someone in the town hall there?

oceansalt

« Reply #512 on: October 18, 2011, 03:18:12 AM »
All these events including the parade you have to remeber that these are kids . Kids that are scared and worried about their friend. Some of the things they are doing may not seem appropriate however their hearts and fear are ruling what they do. How can that be wrong?

natesgirl1977

• "Every contact leaves a trace." Edmond Locard
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 18, 2011, 03:29:48 AM »
Yes, the parade does raise an eyebrow, and use resources....but it has its good points too.   Nothing like this really happens around here.  I've lived in PC all my life and know that some horrible things have happened in the past and it's really taking a toll on the community.  So much buzz going around now that the car was taken (?? thought that would have been done at the start, that and searching the apartment in my opinion).  A parade would definately draw media attention, and it's good for the loved ones as well because so many people are joining together in their desperate pleas to bring one family back together.  To get Amber home.

meechie

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 18, 2011, 04:34:21 AM »
I don't think this one has been posted but it seems not only did they take his car but cellphone as well

http://www.news957.com/news/local/article/288904--police-seize-boyfriend-s-car-in-missing-woman-case

New Glasgow police have seized property from the boyfriend of a young woman, a week after she disappeared without a trace.

Sources tell News 95.7 officers seized Mason Campbell's car and cellphone Sunday as the search for Amber Kirwan, 19, entered its second week.

Kirwan was last seen Oct. 9 around 1:30 a.m. when she left a Dooly's pool hall and called Campbell for a ride home.

He told police she was going to meet him at a nearby convenient store but that she wasn't there when he arrived.

Since then, police and volunteer searchers have combed the streets of New Glasgow as well as nearby wooded areas and rivers for any sign of Kirwan, collecting potential evidence.

"Throughout the week, we've been gathering possible items of interest, from information from the general public as well as from investigators," Cst. Ken MacDonald told The Rick Howe Show, Monday. "Those possible items of interest, that may have a connection with the case, have to be analyzed by both investigators and forensic teams."

Cst. MacDonald did not speak directly to the seizure.

This week, the RCMP joined the case, contributing helicopters, dog and dive teams to the search of the area around the Pictou Landing home Kirwan shared with Campbell.

Police are not sharing any theories about Kirwan's disappearance and whether the case may turn into something other than a missing person investigation.

"Investigators will make that determination if in fact it goes from a missing case to another type of investigation," said Cst. MacDonald. "But as of right now, the missing case of Amber Kirwan and the search for missing person Amber Kirwan continues."

Anyone with information about the case is being urged to contact Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or New Glasgow Police.

A $5,000 reward has been issued for any information in the case.

kimvan

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 18, 2011, 06:10:28 AM »
I hope they find this girl soon.  The fact that the police aren't releasing much information has me thinking the worst:(  They must be on to something.  Praying that they find her soon and this comes to an end.

mytwocentsis2

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 18, 2011, 06:21:45 AM »
I've been following here for about a week...and though I see a lot of speculation I appreciate this place to vent or state an opinion where places to do so are limited at the risk of being jumped on for not following the pack.

I was born and lived in Pictou County till only a few years ago. Worked in the immediate area of Dooleys for about 10 years...I wont say the business name but know that I have been around the 'night life' of DT NG A LOT.

My opinion of the area she supposedly went missing is that while it is dark in places and has only one sidewalk...there is a tiny section where I could picture something happening between Dooleys and Big Als...if someone grabbed her between those places things would have been timed just right or planned very well anyway. I've walked it many times...and IMO the alley between Acro and Dooleys (beside CKEC) is way scarier...and theres always tons of people around.

Besides what all the previous posters have already touched on...the thing that bothers me about the Big Al's meeting place is that why there? NO, I know what he said about his vehicle blah blah blah....but there are better places to meet up with someone without going near cops that are closer and better lit. Such as a) Legion Parking lot. Person would leave Dooleys, walk down George to Provost and swing right....all lit. b) the parking lot on the other side of legion...same route but closer. c) the NEW parking lot in the center of the area in question where the old building was just torn down (corner of george, provost and the road the wall is on the road she took *Archimedes st)...crossing the street from Dooley's and cutting down to the lot.
ETA: a street name

Big Al's seems just out of the way to get someone to meet you. The cops around Dooley's are there to watch for fights, drunks in the road piling out of the bar, IMO again, unless the bf was well known to the cops before...they wouldn't have taken notice of him sitting there waiting for his gf.

Another point that should be mentioned (it may have already) is that Dooleys, which was stated as a pool hall is more of a dance hall now...sometimes when people say pool hall they think of a good crowd of people drinking and playing pool....this has turned into a VERY busy dance club with A LOTTTTTT of very drunk people there especially on a long weekend...so it isn't strange a number of people hadn't even noticed Amber there. Most long weekends it is standing room only as its one of the only places left younger partiers go to.

Like I've said I've worked in the area...and have seen a few generations of kids drinking....these are just things I've noticed. My opinion of what happened to this poor girl with stay mine as I doubt it would matter to anyone haha
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:20:41 AM by mytwocentsis2 »

kimvan

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 18, 2011, 06:27:17 AM »
Every opinion matters.  How about sharing...

mytwocentsis2

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 18, 2011, 06:40:59 AM »
No way!!! lol....It would not be popular but I think peoples thoughts on the bf aren't far off and the cops are looking in the right places...in the interviews on TV he just seems sketchy and a hot headed punk I've seen too many times.

ETA: I think the parade thing is horrid. A lot of people wanting a bit of thanks (attention) or to feel involved...candle walks are great and powerful emotionally but a parade? tacky....
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:47:24 AM by mytwocentsis2 »

Nish

• I can't get PTSD, I'm a carrier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 18, 2011, 06:57:03 AM »
Every opinion matters.  How about sharing...

Hmmkay...

Ten years ago none of this would be happening the way it is. That's my opinion.

I'll expand. Ten years ago none of us would have an internet forum to come on to so that we could share opinion or unsubstantiated rumour.

Over the 40 plus pages of this thread so far I have seen posts demanding the police tell people something, posts about the boyfriend's character, unsubstantiated posts about him dipping into donation boxes for smokes, and so on. I have also seen that the local live audio feed had to be shut down because of people posting the info online. Was this not a hint to you? I know it's not everyone but the brush I use can be broad in this case.

I admire social media's reach and I watched with earnest at how Amber Alerts seemed to go viral over Facebook in the last 6 months. If it hasn't happened already I am sure we are not too far from a social media tool being utilized to get a missing kid home, or to catch a criminal.

HOWEVER: the thing that we MUST remember is that as much good as we can do with the sharing of little bits of information we can also do an equal amount of harm. That harm can come in the way of damage to a person, damage to a victims family, or, perhaps most importantly, damage to an ongoing investigation.

To those of you keeping within reasonable lines and discussing only qualified fact: good on you. People like you are what make social media a powerful and useful tool. I hope you do not take what I am saying about some of the others as a slight against you.

I am all for hoping that Ms. Kirwan makes it home safe and sound. If the worst comes to pass then I am all for taking the guilty party and making an example of them that no one will ever forget. But most of all I am all for allowing the professionals to do their job and do it right - without the added benefit of armchair quarterbacks on an anonymous internet forum.

Nish

natesgirl1977

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 18, 2011, 07:04:41 AM »
mytwocents my thoughts exactly on how she may have gone missing.  Someone must have planned it so that they knew the exact time/place noone else would see what was going on....which sort of makes me think that someone at the bar may have been watching....and waiting, then leaving so as not to look as though she was not being followed, but close enough to know exactly where she was going, that is, if nothing turns up with the bf.

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 18, 2011, 07:29:58 AM »
a 'parade' in it's litleral meaning is wrong on many levels....however,

a walk with her pictures and banners and a chant for justice..or to bring her home would be much more appropriate... especially if they threw in the names and faces of others missing in the area.

that, to me, would be much more appropriate

natesgirl1977

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 18, 2011, 07:39:36 AM »
a 'parade' in it's litleral meaning is wrong on many levels....however,

a walk with her pictures and banners and a chant for justice..or to bring her home would be much more appropriate... especially if they threw in the names and faces of others missing in the area.

that, to me, would be much more appropriate

:D

wantinganswers

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 18, 2011, 08:26:07 AM »
We need to start praying for Law enforcement to be granted extra insight and skill in this case to bring about a prompt conclusion in this case. 
My thoughts and prayers are also still with Amber's loved ones and Amber herself if she is still with us. I feel our whole community needs answers and to embrace each other with what ever the outcome is as long as it is the truth.I think many are eager to point to a domestic suspect as this would return our community to our 'safe' normal, but at this point, no matter what we think, I don't think we ought to be putting our ideas in the criminal's head...you know they're following this story as much as the rest of us and probably feeding on it...we'll be giving more ideas how they could send the investigators on wild goose chases. So sad.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 18, 2011, 08:36:43 AM »
I agree with you there.  Ideas must not be projected to send the police on wild goose chaces , as it takes there time away from the real issues.  I hope the town can collect it self,  and provide a dignity for Amber.  For get the ridiculs parades and perhaps a pray meet or silent virgil in a parking lot near by.  Some form of unity, remembering that until proved different everyone is a part of their community.  I wonder is any one in the town helping to provide Hot refreshements or nurishment to the volunteer Sar that are out helping in the search.  Perhaps a hot lunch or hot drinks would help them retain there strenght to keep up the search.  Hope the community can stay tight and help each other as all members of the community need that now.  Pray that the town doesnt turn into a vigilante and try solving this on there own or through a gossip media form.  We all want Amber found and safe.  The eyes of the world are on you and with you all the way.