Author Topic: Amber Kirwan - Murdered - New Glasgow Oct. 9th 2011  (Read 1028592 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Amber Kirwan - Murdered - New Glasgow Oct. 9th 2011
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2011, 12:16:19 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/10/13/ns-ground-search-amber-kirwan.html

Police Quote
"There's a lot of tips, there's a lot of information, there's a lot of evidence has been gathered from the public and as a result they have to analyze it."

MacDonald said analysis is being done by both New Glasgow police and officers from the RCMP major crime unit.

Well, if they have video of her leaving the pool hall, then they must have video inside the pool hall.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:36:11 AM by Chris »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2011, 12:40:19 AM »
Probably because they already know what happened, just building a case now against someone, or convinced she ran away.

I cannot understand why the police are not warning people to be careful when walking at night. They said its just a missing persons case only. They do not want to alarm the public.
I wouldn't want my kids out walking alone until we know what has happened. Maybe they think she has just run away. I guess they are right saying its a missing person case right now so no reason for the public to worry. They said the same thing last year in Nb when the lady had been kidnapped.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2011, 01:05:57 AM »
OK I read as much as I could find about this. I do have a couple of questions.

1) when she did not show up at the store, did the boyfriend drive the short distance to the pool hall to see if she was still there?
2) what was her original plans for getting home? based on his comments, he was not expecting to go get her.
3) Is there a sense that something bad happened to her? The BF keeps referring to her in teh past tense?

I am not tring to case doubt on the boyfriend. I do have other questions that I am sure cannot be answered.

1) did someone follow Amber out of the pool hall shortly after she left?
2) is there residents close by who would have heard a scream or is this a business district?
3) was there a male who showed a strong interest in Amber at the pool hall?

I still think the police have at this time, a lot of evidence. the days of arresting and charging a suspect are over, due diligence is in. They need to build a strong case first before they can arrest anyone unless a solid confession is made.

Concerned123

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2011, 02:01:30 AM »
I will try and answer your questions to the best of my ability.

In our little town of new Glasgow we are usually i tightly knit bunch where everyone seem to know everyone, that said,
I find it rather strange that Big Al's which is a store is in eye shot of Doolys the bar Amber was last seen at on camera leaving in the direction of Big Al's.
Now she left Doolys heading to Big Als, but some how never made it there. The boyfriend calms he waited for her but she never showed. If some grabbed her on the way I am almost sure someone would have seen or heard her as well as the perp, if not someone, the boyfriend would / should have been able to see her leave the front door... so therefore did he show up at the store before or after she left the bar? not sure that information has not been release as of just yet. According to the boyfriends statement they agreed to meet up at the store because he wasn't able to legally drive after twelve o'clock ( reason i don't know exactly ) but this is where it gets a bit tricky so try and keep up...

The boyfriend goes to the store to meet up with Amber, it is being said that he is on the camera from the store being outside, but what time did he arrive at the store and what time did he leave? is a good question. Now I don't want to point fingers, but you tell me.
If your girl friend is usually pretty damn good at being where she says she is gonna be, when she says she is gonna be there and for some reason is not, would you not kinda worry? ...even just a little. Guys will be guys, I mean girlfriend at the bar, doesn't meet up with you on time, guys tend to get a bit jealous, right!? maybe that's not the case, but still if your girlfriend doesn't show on time and you cannot drive to the bar where she is at because of your limitations, then why i ask did he not choose to walk to the bar and check to see what was holding her up from meeting with him? For that matter for a fellow who was not able to drive to the bar to pick her up he " skimmed up and down the street / road " that runs along the same little area as the bar does, looking for her. As well another question on my mind, the boyfriends also claims he was drinking earlier that evening, but with whom? if anyone? Now we have all heard tell of alcohol being a confident booster right? who to say Amber knew he was drink and why would she call someone who was drinking to come and pick her up? It is only a really short distance between the bar and the store as I said you can stand in the parking lot of the store and watch as people come and go from the bar's doors. There are lots of near by houses that would of heard a scream or even a yell, but in a town like ours, where stuff like this doesn't happen to often, ( not of this nature anyways ) would / could have been simply brushed off as drunks from the bar blowing of steam or kids horse playing. Okay so I am not a CSI nor do I wanna come off as i think I am, but I would like for you to just think about these questions with an open mind::

1) Mason talks about her how he" loved" her and how he was "gonna marry her "
2) Did Amber know Mason was drink earlier and if so with whom?
3) Did Amber know he was drinking and if so why would she wanna put him in harms why to drive to pick her up instead of taking a cab like she did to get to the bar?
4) What better cover would you have if you felt you were gonna be a prime suspect in a case than to be at the front lines of search parties and vigils and so on and so forth?
5) How did know one from the bar see Amber after she left the bar that night on her way to the store, how did mason not see her on her way out the door and on her way to the store?
6) Why does a close friend of Amber's state when asked what she thinks happen reply " The obvious "and then not elaborate?
7) Why is it the main search point of the police so far has been consentrated ( even though it was said to be widened ) in around the same area from New Glasgow to Trenton?
8 ) Why does it seem as if Mason is trying to put himself out there more so than the Mother and Father of Amber?
9) Why when asked question during his statement with the news does him seem rather calm for a fellow with a missing girlfriend ( mind you a bit fidgety) with his eye i might add... It is said people who recall thing tend to look to the right, and those who lie and make up stories tend to look to the left as he does during his statement, quite a bit I might add. ( the reason for this for those of you who don't know, it is said the left part of your brain is for imagination and the right is for memory )
10) If the police know everything about Masons doing that night, then why is it mason still remains a suspect in this case?
11) When he asks for help finding Amber he says "call me" not call the authorities if you know something he says "call me" why must he know first?
12) Why is it we hear the buyfriends name being said so much but not the fathers or mothers or the little brother or the best friends...it seems to be Mason... Mason... Mason.... Which bring me back to putting yourself out front where you have an alibi for your where about and doings and people see and hear you and feel more comfortable with your supposed innocence coincidence?? Hmmmm!
13) If my girl friend of 3 1/2 years is gone missing and I fear the worst..I be balling like a damn baby because that's just human nature
 "gotta stay tough cause I'm i guy, and guys don't show emotions " or " Gotta keep my composure so i don't slip up and make a mistake "
So there you have it folks, You tell me what you think?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:24:19 AM by Concerned123 »

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2011, 06:04:23 AM »
OK I read as much as I could find about this. I do have a couple of questions.

1) when she did not show up at the store, did the boyfriend drive the short distance to the pool hall to see if she was still there?
2) what was her original plans for getting home? based on his comments, he was not expecting to go get her.
3) Is there a sense that something bad happened to her? The BF keeps referring to her in teh past tense?

I am not tring to case doubt on the boyfriend. I do have other questions that I am sure cannot be answered.

1) did someone follow Amber out of the pool hall shortly after she left?
2) is there residents close by who would have heard a scream or is this a business district?
3) was there a male who showed a strong interest in Amber at the pool hall?

I still think the police have at this time, a lot of evidence. the days of arresting and charging a suspect are over, due diligence is in. They need to build a strong case first before they can arrest anyone unless a solid confession is made.

Chris, alot of your questions have been answered in posts above. He did not drive the short distance because his car was past inspection, he was under the infiluence and he was not allowed to drive after midnight. 

halifax902

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2011, 07:35:47 AM »
Also, I think Amber's friend Maggie is doing such am amazing job.  On the FB page last night she was even being attacked by some people which is really sad.  I don't know any of these people but she is a 19 year old girl doing her best for her friend.  How or why anyone could attack her is beyond me.  She was being accused of 'defending Mason'. 

IMHO

• As the Name says- In My Humble Opinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2011, 07:45:16 AM »
Also, I think Amber's friend Maggie is doing such am amazing job.  On the FB page last night she was even being attacked by some people which is really sad.  I don't know any of these people but she is a 19 year old girl doing her best for her friend.  How or why anyone could attack her is beyond me.  She was being accused of 'defending Mason'.

She did defend him when asked point blank on last nights CTV suppertime news.  These kids need to stay off the telly. They are setting themselves up for these types of attacks. Yes, the media is looking for angles and the kids think they are helping "find" Amber by allowing themselves to be interviewed.  The media are looking to fill airspace and these young people are accommodating. Perhaps the family should have a spokesperson to address media inquiries. 

I note that there have been no media interviews with police for a couple of days.  This would indicate to me that they are on to something.

RJ

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2011, 08:25:39 AM »
Hello, all. I'm from New Glasgow, so I thought I'd answer a couple of questions about the area.

Amber left her friends outside of Dooly's around 1:30 a.m. The pool hall is on the corner of George Street (a one-way street up the hill) and Archimedes. She would've crossed at the lights, walked by a boarding house on her right and then the road slightly juts out, thanks to a realignment a year or so back, so there's not a clear view of Big Al's thanks to some trees. A car stopping just beyond that wouldn't be questioned by anyone as there's a yield where the road ends and turns into the two-way North Provost St.

During her walk, on the left side of the road is the Elk's Club - closed at that time - and a completely empty vacant lot where the old Commercial Equipment building was until this summer. People use it for parking now. As Amber neared the place the road juts out, on her left would be the legion - again closed - the legion parking lot and a used clothing store, with Big Al's right up against that, although set back a bit from the road with parking out front. Not sure if Big Al's cameras could see around the corner of the used clothing store - I doubt they would be pointed in that direction, I'd assume they'd be pointed towards its own parking lot.

On Amber's right - likely where she was walking, as that's the side with the sidewalk and streetlights, she'd have no reason to cross before getting to Big Al's, is again the boarding house, the little jut out, then a fenced area around some power poles, and an old house turned into apartments. There are some houses along that road - most are old, converted into apartments, and I would guess their owners are used to people screaming and hollering when the bars let out. I live about a 15 minute walk away, up in the "good" section up the hill, and we can sometimes hear them in the summers when the windows are open. Our court has actually cracked down on drunks who fight after the bars close because of the disturbance they cause to the neighbourhood. So I doubt anyone would really notice a scream. Beyond Big Al's on the left, there's the railway tracks and not much else. It's all very close - it would really only take someone sober three minutes to walk it. Her friends say she only had one drink at the bar, but she was likely drinking beforehand, that's what people do here. Her friend has said she wasn't "super, super drunk" that night. So drunk, going a bit slower because she's tired, I'd say it would still be no more than six minutes to get there.

That section of town is dark, I drove it the other night and was really struck by just how dark that corner in particular really is. I don't think anyone - no matter how many people were milling about outside Dooly's that night - would've noticed if she'd been grabbed into a car, especially if it happened right at that corner where the road turns into another and the brush blocks it from view. If she was grabbed, I think it happened there. Interestingly, that's also where the police found the shoe.

Once you turn that corner, however, you're out of sight of the traffic from downtown. It's pretty empty and lonely.

I've got a couple theories. I think she was either grabbed there, at the corner, before she came in view of Big Al's cameras, or maybe the car was driven by someone she knew. It was really warm that day, but the temperature dropped quickly that night and she didn't have a coat. People in Pictou County - especially the ones born and bred here - know each other, and think nothing of stopping if someone is walking and offering a ride. Maybe she was cold, drunk, her feet hurt from dancing, the driver offered to wait with her, or she figured she could get a ride home before the boyfriend even left, and she got into the car willingly - and it was the wrong person to trust.

It's also incredibly likely she got to Big Al's before the boyfriend and decided to keep on walking towards home, figuring he'd see her. That stretch of road is really lonely, as I said, particularly if she crossed the train tracks and went around the s-turn. Then she'd have a big graveyard on one side and houses set further back from the road. It's another really dark corner.

Let's assume for a moment that no one grabbed her. What if she's stumbling along, walking for home, and she falls out in the street? What if the timing is wrong and a drunk driver is coming along behind her and can't stop, hitting her? What if he panicked, threw her in the car and dumped her somewhere? We have a LOT of drunk drivers here - likely why there's no real outrage that the boyfriend himself had been drinking and was coming to get her - and there's a lot of wooded areas. People make bad decisions when they're drunk, I could see this scenario happening just as easily as someone grabbing her.

For what it's worth, I don't think it was the boyfriend. I know he's told the paper that someone else was in the car with him when he left the party they were at to go get her, but it's not been reported in the paper because they can't confirm that, police aren't saying. With the mindset of these kids, it doesn't surprise me that he drove to Big Al's and waited there - it's common for cops to either park outside Dooly's or cruise by every few minutes as it lets out. It makes sense to me that when she didn't show up and no one answered his phone call or text from the phone she used, that he figured she changed her mind and went on partying with the girls. After all, the best friend wasn't too alarmed either.

The first posters that went up had the boyfriend's and the best friend's phone numbers. The police didn't issue the alert to the media to call crimestoppers until the next morning at 7 a.m. People were making the posters that Sunday night.

That first day or two, some people thought maybe she went home with someone else and was embarrassed to show up, but that's clearly not the case anymore, not after a week.

The community seems to be split - people seem to want to think the boyfriend did something to her because domestic abuse happens and it's a lot less scary than the other concept, that someone else, a stranger, took her. I don't think this kid ran off, no one in the community does. How far could she get if she ran off in a pair of flats and a sweater, with very little money and not even a purse? Unless one of the wildest theories I've heard is true and she really just hopped a train.

I wish you could see the downtown. It's absolutely plastered with this girl's face. I passed one power pole yesterday that had three posters, one on top of the other. There are billboards. There were two 12-year-olds, walking around downtown, wearing posters - honk for Amber.

I don't think we need more posters, not in this area. People are aware of her, trust me. But I think the kids want to do something, and posters and flyers are what they have. So they keep papering the area (I'd love to know who is going to take those down!) I see on the FB page, people have alerted Anderson Cooper, Oprah and the NHL (not sure what hockey players are going to do?) A lot of cars have her poster in them now, too. They're all getting hysterical and feeding on each other, and it's just mounting more and more. Not that they don't have a right to - it's scary! - but I worry they won't be able to deal with things should the worst happen after such a prolonged state of absolute panic. There are rumours every hour about her body being found in the river (not sure why the river, specifically, seems to be the area of choice - it's not too far, but it's not exactly easy to get to unless you toss something over the George Street Bridge or the Connector). I actually find it interesting that they keep saying the river and not any of the wooded areas - wonder if someone knows something???

I can understand the benefit and the fundraising, as well. That's just what we do here - heck, there was a benefit this summer for someone with a broken leg. My coworkers and I called it two days before it was announced, that there would be one.

The girl's parents aren't talking to the media - they released one written statement - and say that they're considering speaking to the media but need to clear it with police. So far there hasn't been anything else from them. I'm guessing that might happen Monday if nothing else breaks before then.

Police have told the media that they frankly have nothing to go on. It's like the girl vanished into nowhere.

RJ

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2011, 08:27:53 AM »
I note that there have been no media interviews with police for a couple of days.  This would indicate to me that they are on to something.

That doesn't say that to me. How many times can you print or air poor Const. Ken MacDonald saying that "We are treating this as a missing person's case and following up every lead."

IMHO

• As the Name says- In My Humble Opinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2011, 08:47:42 AM »

That doesn't say that to me. How many times can you print or air poor Const. Ken MacDonald saying that "We are treating this as a missing person's case and following up every lead."

Well, poor Cst MacDonald is not longer lead in this...RCMP Major Crime is now in charge. A police appeal/news conference is over due. I agree, if there was nothing new- there is nothing new. But it's time RCMP made a statement.

...and from the sounds of the scanner- the media is trying to get a statement from RCMP

Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2011, 09:22:06 AM »
RJ  - I also am from New Glasgow and I agree with everything you have just said. I also do not think that her boyfriend has had anything to do with it, I think it was totally random. I'm not convinced there was an accident though, just a horrbile random snatching.

I do however strongly think the police have MUCH more than they are willing to share. There has been a rumour floating around for days now that they found her body on the marshy side of the river by the power plant and that only the immediate family has been notified. I 'almost' believe this to be the case and that they are keeping it quiet while they investigate it. That would explain why her parents ahve been public yet. Either way, they wouldn't have just stopped searching outside unless they had some hard evidence telling them they could. The RCMP Major Crimes wouldn't have been brought in unless they knew there was a MAJOR crime - inevitably a murder I would think. I HATE HATE HATE to even think it, but I just can't see anything else that makes sense right now. I'm not very eloquent with explaining my reasoning, I know. People are DESPERATE for some answers and I think if we don't start getting some answers then people will start taking things into there own hands and dealing with it.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2011, 10:26:38 AM »
Mason stated that they had this pick up arrangements (meet ab big Al's) for quite some time. I too wonder why he didn't walk to Dooleys and pick her up. He did say that he was tired (and that makes sense)  He said that he wasn't prepared for this!  In other words if he could look into  the future, he would have walked there and picked her up. IMO

I do not believe that Mason had anything to do with her disapparance.

Look, usually domestic disputes end in the home, after couples  arrive back home and the arguments are continued. This was not the case.   As  some  posters suggested, perhaps someone offered her a ride, or grabbed her up the street , as she began her walk.

JB
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:34:32 AM by jellybean »

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »
Thank you, RJ, for providing such a clear picture of the area.  It makes possible scenarios much easier to visualize.

I would agree that with the entrance of the RCMP Major Crimes Unit into the case it has definitely taken on a more serious tone (not that it wasn't serious before but now just seems less and less likely to have a positive outcome).

While I do believe that some of her boyfriend's behaviour may come across as being a little strange, I, too, feel it unlikely he had anything to do with her disappearance.

Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »
SAR have been called back in by the police starting tomorrow morning 7am. I wonde rif they have a better idea of where to look or if they are "flying blind"?

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2011, 11:58:06 AM »
I think they will find her tomorrow, at the very least, or within the next few days. Something is telling the police that this is probably local.
re: cops stating that she is missing, yet the case under RCMP criminal investigation.  Police will always say MIssing, because she is,  technically missing.

Police suspect Homicide, therefore they brought in the RCMP.

JB
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:56:09 PM by jellybean »