Author Topic: Lisa Irwin, 10 month old: Missing Kansas City, Mo  (Read 55203 times)

SAP

Lisa Irwin, 10 month old: Missing Kansas City, Mo
« on: October 07, 2011, 12:59:36 AM »
When I read this first report I thought here we go again. Something sounds "off".

Published: October 6, 2011 7:09 PM
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The parents of a missing 10-month-old Missouri girl have given police more than a dozen names as they try to think of potential suspects or people who paid especially close attention to the child, a relative said Thursday.

Investigators have no suspects and few solid leads despite an intensive search for Lisa Irwin, whose parents say was snatched from her crib sometime Monday night or early Tuesday.

"We're scraping for anything, anyone who was at the house, who looked at her strange. Anything," said Mike Lerette, a cousin of the baby's mother.

Her parents are trying to remember people who recently came into contact with Lisa or paid her extra attention. Lerette said he is encouraging them to think of anyone, from utility workers who visited their Kansas City home to store cashiers, and they've compiled a list of more than a dozen names.

A police spokesman said he wasn't aware of those conversations but that it would make sense it such cases.

"They're probably jogging their brains to think of any person that they maybe haven't told us about," Capt. Steve Young said.

The child's parents, Jeremy Irwin and Deborah Bradley, said they frantically searched their home for any sign of their daughter Tuesday morning but found only an open window, an unlocked front door and house lights blazing.

The family's three cellphones, including one that didn't work, also were missing, the couple said during a tearful news conference Thursday morning as search crews focused on a heavily wooded area, sewers and an industrial park.

Irwin said he immediately knew something was wrong when he returned home from work about 4 a.m. Tuesday. He checked on their other children, 6-year-old and 8-year-old boys, then went to Lisa's room and discovered her gone.

"I said, 'What do you mean she is not in her crib?'" said Bradley, who had checked on her daughter about five hours earlier. "I just knew, you know, that something was really wrong. We ran around the house and screaming for her, but she was nowhere."

Bradley said that's when they discovered the phones had been taken, guessing it was to delay them from calling police. As she hugged her crying sons, Bradley said, Irwin checked outside and eventually contacted police.

"All I can think of is that maybe somebody wanted a baby," she said.

Lisa has blue eyes and blonde hair, is 30 inches tall and weighs around 28 pounds. She was last seen wearing purple shorts and a purple shirt with pictures of white kittens. Police have said the parents aren't suspects in her disappearance.

Later Thursday, the parents mistakenly thought police had a lead in the case when investigators began searching the wooded area again, and they immediately rushed to the command post police set up about a mile from the home, Young said.

"They assumed we had a big break and they wanted to find out what it was," Young said. "If you're the mother of a missing child and you think there's a development, I would think you'd want to go to the command post and find out."

Investigators extended their search Thursday, with about 100 officers scouring an industrial area and adjacent woods. Others searched sewers, lifting drain covers and crawling inside.

Randy Thurston, a warehouse manager, said officers also went through the industrial park Tuesday, searching trash bins and pipes, but Thursday's search was "much more intense over here today."

Investigators' intensive search has included federal agents using search dogs to go over the family's home and nearby woods, helicopters, all-terrain vehicles and door-to-door interviews with neighbors.

Police have said one possibility was whether someone entered the home through a front window and snatched the baby, but they haven't pointed to any sign of forced entry.

Irwin said the abduction has been especially hard on Lisa's older brothers, who constantly ask if their sister has been found.

"We tell them, 'Not yet, not yet,'" Irwin said. "It's the only thing we can think to tell them."

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/parents-of-missing-baby-scraping-for-anything-1.3228096

SAP

Re: Lisa Irwin, 10 month old: Missing Kansas City, Mo
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 01:01:58 AM »
Then this following article:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The parents of a missing 10-month-old Missouri girl are no longer cooperating with authorities, and their claims that whoever took their daughter stole their cellphones hasn't produce any leads, police said Thursday night.
Jeremy Irwin and Deborah Bradley, who said their daughter, Lisa, was snatched from her crib sometime Monday night or early Tuesday, had been cooperative since reporting her missing. But they changed course Thursday, Kansas City police spokesman Steve Young said.

"Tonight, they decided to stop talking to detectives, and I don't have to illustrate how that affects the investigation. That speaks for itself," he said.

He reiterated that investigators still have no suspects. A cousin of the baby's mother who has been acting as a spokesman for the family declined to comment to The Associated Press after Young's announcement Thursday evening

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/06/lisa-irwin-missing-parent_n_999333.html

SAP

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 01:06:02 AM »
Parents already have a deal with a news agency rather than co-operate with detectives. Is it just me, or is something real hinky going on here. For their sake, I hope and pray the child is safe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Video of Capt. Steve Young's interview to the media regarding the parents choice to no longer cooperate:

http://www.kctv5.com/story/15637354/police-say-baby-lisas-parents-no-longer-cooperating-with-investigators

The parents are supposedly going to respond but nothing on the live feed yet -

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -
Missing baby Lisa Irwin's parents speak Thursday night.

WATCH LIVE.:

http://www.kctv5.com/category/215384/kctv5-livestream-mva1

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 01:45:53 AM »
something isn't adding up.  Too elaborate. Cell phones removed by the perp, lights on, door unlocked, missing baby.  And the mother didn't wake up??
I wonder what these parents are attempting to set up for themselves. TV fame? A chance to be on NG? Has the baby been placed with a relative who is in on it?
Or is the child deceased?

JB

SAP

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 02:06:28 AM »
I can't see a child abductor bothering to look for all the cells and leaving all the lights on either. Came in through a window ... left through a door, lights on. Did the abductor know father was working and mom slept like a log? Suddenly for no reason the couple cut off the police who seem genuinely concerned and very actively searching and turn to a news agency exclusive who possibly cannot have the skills and resources to locate a child. I cannot help the gut feelings but I do not believe this couple. Now I wonder whether the child accidently died or something happened in mom's care? If it's a set up and they had someone take the child that won't take long for police to see that. It's starting to sound like the Satsuma Florida case.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 04:20:51 AM »
Three cell phones.  One for him, one for her and one was broke.   I would think the dad would've had a phone with him since he was working the night shift, so my question is why would he not have one of the phones with him?  That doesn't make sense to me.  And why was this baby put to bed in shorts and a t-shirt?   I understand, maybe for a nap....but all night in shorts and a t-shirt?

I have more questions than answers these days.....

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 06:32:34 AM »
The parents deny not cooperating with the police and say they are co-operating.  If you ever had a ten month old then you know they are teething at that age.  A mother gets little enough sleep especailly with other youngsters no way in hell are you gonna wake up a sleeping Baby to put her in pjs.  In my opinion in the link above the cop had an attitude.  His attitude gave me the impression that if you don't do what I want then we are closing down the comand post and not looking for your child.  Sorry thats my opinion.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 07:09:57 AM »
lol...you have a point, eyeswideopen....I forgot, we "let sleeping babies lay", when they finally sleep sound....been there, done that. (had to, in order to keep my sanity).  So, your opinion is well taken...;)

Marcusdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 09:02:47 AM »
From what I have seen so far I have questions about the abductor going through a small window facing the street, then walking through a ranch style house built in probably the late 60s to early 70s with squeaky floors. surely there would have been some noise that would have awakened either the mother or the two brothers who were said to also be asleep.
The reason the mother gave for the cell phones being on the kitchen counter was that they were being reprogrammed. The dad, an electrician by trade had also just started a new job, this was his first night on the job. Since he worked all night I am assuming that his job was in a factory of some kind, on the midnight shift.
By not cooperating with police I wonder if the parents are frustrated with LEs efforts so far and are going to hire outside help like perhaps a private search team? Or a PI. Private help is very expensive and it did not seem to me as if these parents were wealthy enough to seek out a PI or private search team.
Another thing that might make sense is that it was mentioned that someone in the military might try to pass the baby off as their own.
Looking at that window the perp had to crawl through to abduct the baby I believe they must not have weighed much over 100 lbs or so to fit through  that window frame. Just a few thoughts to kick around.

scotsquine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 09:46:26 AM »
The thing that really bothers me about this one is that the house lights were left on.  Surely if you wanted to sneak out the front door with a baby in your arms the last thing you would want is the to have the lights on.  Sneaking out in the dark would have been much safer.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 10:35:53 AM »
There are a number of things that really bother me about this case. Like others that have commented, it bothers me that this person (may have) entered the house through a very small window which faces the street. Why take that chance? Why that window? Was it convenient? Left unlocked, or even open? Once inside, with mom and two older children sleeping, this person walks around the house with lights blazing. I'm wondering if the lights were on when this person entered the house or if he/she turned them on. Unless this person had been in the house before, how would they know which room was the baby's? Did they find their way to the bedrooms and check to see who was in each room? How did they know they wouldn't walk into the parents room or wake another family member? Once finding this child they remove her from her crib, taking the chance that she could wake up and cry, thus alerting mom. On top of that, either before or after taking this child, they remove three phones that they see sitting on the counter and then walk out the front door with the child. This all seems pretty risky to me.

I also have trouble with the fact that this "mom" who had already raised two others past the baby stage and now has a ten month old baby, did not hear anything or wake up. As a mom myself, I remember how tuned in I became during the time my children were young. Small sounds would wake me and I became a much lighter sleeper. Subconsciously listening. I'm sure most others who are moms can relate. On the other hand, I will say that this mom does have three children and maybe she is exhausted when she goes to bed and sleeps like a log.

SAP

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 11:49:20 AM »
I really dislike my own attitude for this case, being so judgemental of the parents. In one of the articles police said when they had their command post set up, everytime they were searching in a new area, the couple would race down and ask if the police had any new tips. The police officer responding seemed very understanding. The Captain in the video does explain why the command post came down, that the search there was done and they found nothing and they were moving on ... I didn't find him cocky but rather matter of fact, and he probably felt they needed to protect their image as well.
What bothered me is they were looking in bushes and culverts, etc. That doesn't sound very hopeful at all.

Many good points raised above. As Debbie mentioned, as a mom, I could not sleep like a log unless my husband was home and I would hear every noise. I always kept lights on at night when the kids and I were alone, so did Lisa's mom do that as well being alone with the kids?
If someone knew which bedroom to go to, then there should have been signs of a person watching the house prior, not? Otherwise it would sound like someone knew the family and knew whose bedrooms were whose.
As Marcusdog says the window was small and the person would have been around 100 lbs to get through there ... sounds like a female. That at least gives me hope that the abductor was wanting a child of her own and not some crazed lunatic, and that Lisa will be found unharmed. I suppose cells could have been taken to make it look like a robbery. Why were the cells being reprogramned? Was there no landline?

SAP

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 12:05:53 PM »
Video at link. This was the first night the father worked a night shift and also the first night the mother didn't lock the door.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-baby-lisa-parents-upset-police-tough-tactics/story?id=14688581

By KEVIN DOLAK and CHRISTINA NG
Oct. 7, 2011
The mother of missing Missouri baby Lisa Irwin said today that police accused her of having done something to her 10-month-old toddler.

"From the start when they've questioned me, once I couldn't fill in gaps, it turned into 'You did it, you did it,'" Deborah Bradley told "Good Morning America" today. "They took a picture down from the table and said, 'Look at your baby! And do what's right for her!' I kept saying I don't know ... I just sat there. I didn't even ask to leave. I just let them keep asking questions."

Bradley also said police accused her of failing a polygraph test. Police said they could not comment on this claim, but said Bradley is "free to say whatever she wants."

The child vanished from her crib four days ago and police have said they literally do not have a clue about where Lisa is or who took her.

Bradley, who sobbed through her interview with "GMA," spoke out after Kansas City police said Bradley and the toddler's father Jeremy Irwin had stopped cooperating.

The parents told "GMA" they have not ended their cooperation with police.

"If they say they're willing to continue speaking with detectives, I say great. Our door is open," Police Capt. Steve Young told ABCNews.com this morning. "Their involvement in the case is the best thing for this case. Our only goal is to find this little girl."

Young said detectives would be happy to resume conversations with Lisa's parents, but added, "We still haven't heard from the mother or father as of this morning."

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 12:29:52 PM »
Good points from everyone here.  About the lights, the father reported that when he came home the house was lit up, so this was unusual to him.  If the mother had left the lights on herself, she would have told her husband - no, I left the lights on.  So far, it doesn't appear to be the case.
It could well be that the Mom was exhausted and did't hear a thing, and the other children would not be alarmed if they heard anything, as they would think that their mother was up attending to the baby.
Don't know why they think that the perp came in through the bedroom window.  Perhaps the window was left open by the child's parents with good intentions.
One would think that the perp would try doors first, and if opened come in that way...
Child abductions (especially adorable babies) are usually done by women. Police should be searchiing around the counties, for this baby, at the very least.
And why would the police concentrate on fields close by?
Are they "jumping the gun on this one?" - wasting precious time?
One baby has disappeared.  Can the police not take both approaches at the same time?
To my way of thinking, lie detector tests are not what they are cut out to be.  It depends upon the interpretation of the examiner, and besides if I lost my baby, I would not pass one.  I would feel guilt and blame myself, therefore fail it. I just know that I would not pass it!!

JB

SAP

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 01:19:10 PM »
Good points. A burning question I have also ... have police checked down the avenue of childless couples who have been trying to adopt?
By now this case is quite in the news, so people should be on the look out for anyone they know that suddenly has a child they didn't have before. It could even be a person from another state so I do hope everyone keeps their eyes peeled.
Perhaps this is what has upset the family as well, the searching in bushes and stuff, and since they are in the midst would probably know whether other avenues are being considered. In this many days, the child could have been sold as well. Horrible thoughts, but it happens. :'(