Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Just keeps getting worse ... Sex offenders  (Read 2883 times)

SAP

Just keeps getting worse ... Sex offenders
« on: September 21, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »
Check out the Edmonton Sun online and some are featured at the link. Familiarize yourself with the faces so you know who they are.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/09/21/predators-among-us

Nobody wants a high-risk sex offender living in their neighbourhood.
But Alberta’s capital city has approximately 700 sex offenders registered with the national registry, and nearly double the amount of high-risk sex offenders than Calgary released publicly on the province’s Solicitor General website.

Det. Doug MacLeod with the Edmonton Police Service (EPS) behavioural assessment unit has been closely monitoring approximately 25 of the city’s most significant high-risk sex offenders.
But he maintains police are keeping a close eye on them and they aren’t making the city a dangerous place.
“There is some very valid reasons for the number of offenders that we have,” said MacLeod.
“It’s not a dangerous city.”
Alberta’s Solicitor General and Public Safety website lists the names of 18 high-risk male sexual offenders who pose “a significant harm to the community” — some to young female and male children, others to female adults. One of the names was just taken off the list.
Some of them have been on the list for a number of years, while others have been there for a few months.
The website contains “only the most serious offenders who are deemed to present a significant harm or safety to the public.”
But MacLeod said the list doesn’t include all of the high-risk offenders in the area, and it’s up to police to determine who the public should be notified about.
“All of these offenders have their own individual cases and own individual levels of risk, but they are not the highest-risk offenders,” said MacLeod about the list. “Some of the guys on the website are high risk, but there may be guys in the community that are higher risk.”
Edmonton’s list of high-risk sex offenders on the solicitor general’s website is nearly more than double Calgary’s list, which has eight offenders.
MacLeod attributes the higher numbers to a couple of reasons. Edmonton has the only maximum-security penitentiary in Alberta, and contains two centres that offer extensive programming for sex offenders, which brings people in from across the province and Western Canada.
The city’s northern proximity also draws offenders from towns and cities in the Northwest Territories seeking treatment.
In addition, different cities use different criteria for issuing public notifications.
“We have to be satisfied that this offender poses a significant risk or harm to the community and if we believe the offender poses a risk of significant harm, then they are going to issue the public notification,” said MacLeod.
A sex offender appears on police radar once they are released from jail and will be arriving in a certain city.
On average, MacLeod said, EPS receives about 12 to 15 notifications from Corrections Canada each year, alerting them about a high-risk offender living in the region.
With that notification, police receive the offender’s psychological and programming reports. Based on that information, police conduct a risk assessment to determine if the offender poses a high risk to commit another sexual or violent offence. An application is then made to the court to determine the degree of supervision the offender will be placed under, and the conditions they will be subject to.
Normally, police will supervise a sex offender for up to two years. Approximately 85% of them will breach one of their conditions in that year and will go back to jail at some point in time, MacLeod said.
But at some point, they have to be released back into the community.
“It’s not feasible financially to keep them in custody for extended periods of time,” said MacLeod. “We have to realize if we are not going to give these guys substantial sentences then we need to make sure the money is in place in the community when they get out that will allow us to properly manage them. There is not a lot of money out there to manage these guys.”
When a high-risk sex offender is released from custody, MacLeod said, they often don’t have a place to go. They wind up in homeless shelters or back in their old neighbourhood, often heading down the same dangerous path.
Thanks to a three-year grant received last spring for transitional housing, MacLeod said city police have four beds at a halfway house for high-risk sex offenders. Here, the offenders have 24-seven supervision and are offered programming and counselling services. Two of the offenders currently being housed are electronically monitored.
pamela.roth@sunmedia.ca

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:51:48 AM by SAP »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: Just keeps getting worse ... Sex offenders
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
I was looking for a thread, on which to post the following
sex offender.  I know that I keep adding to maritime sex offender/pedophiles on a thread I started a few years back.  At that time, a few others started a similar thread for their province/area;  however, when I search Alberta sex offenders here, this is the closest thread I found.  If somebody else knows of other thread/s covering Alberta area, maybe it's a good idea to paste this link there.  http://www.edmontonpolice.ca/News/MediaReleases/highriskoffender.aspx  I tried to upload his photo for quick reference (as those Sap posted above) but I got this message: 
The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.