Author Topic: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 1  (Read 402313 times)

D1

Re: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 1
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2009, 12:38:23 PM »
I would tend to believe that whoever it was that committed this crime would not be able to stop and would be involved in more of the same. Brazen is almost his MO. Brazen usually leaves clues..

Now that more of the details about Kelly's case have been firmed up, it will be easier to check for similarities in other cases..

I believe this guy can still be tracked and found through a combination of location /M.O./ vehicle/ victim(s)/ witness descriptions/ etc.

The car seen at the phone booth and at Kelly's house is interesting in regard to another missing girl who disappeared a year later from a phone booth a whole province away and involved a similar vehicle description.
see- http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,69.0.html

The police seemed to have suspect, (a rapist) in that case, but nothing happened..
Similar allegations have been voiced in kelly's case. A suspect was questioned but nothing more came of it.
It would be interesting to compare suspect photo's with the police sketch.

D1

« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2009, 04:55:40 PM »
Wonder if the perp was just going through to visit a relative somewhere in the area for Easter? Couldn't find any information on a suspect vehicle for the girl down south in the U.S. but the timing and direction of travel is suspicious at the very least.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:58:28 PM by D1 »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2009, 05:36:38 PM »
Des; this may have been mentioned wayyyy back when, but to folks familiar with that area, how common would the appearance of cinder blocks be....would they have been laying around a lot in a certain place....such as
-around where a place had been torn down?
-left in the back of a pickup truck as back then, often used in truck's box up against the cab for extra tracktion on ice and snow?
-left by illegal dumping around the Chin Lake area (which in passing, may have sparked an idea to use them to help dispose of the body?
-Perhaps this guy was staying at a construction site...or working at one....or staying at a home which had these laying around.
All said and done, it seems the authorities should have seriously looked for matches to them.....if they are still around in evidence today, they could still be analyzed for elements, structure and comparison today - one would think...also the material used to bind her.

haunted

« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »
Lost

I agree. The rope (assuming rope) that bound her may have evidence. Hair can easily get caught in the fibres of a rope and would survive being in water. The blocks (cinder or concrete) could also hold valuable information. Did the blocks appear used or new? Do the materials they were composed of give indication of where they were made, purchased or the age of the blocks?

The idea of blocks being in a vehicle for traction is possible but by that time of the year in that area, there isn't much in the way of bad road conditions that people are remaining prepared for. Still of course possible. If I recall checking past weather reports, the weather was good that day - I believe it was around 14 degrees at the warmest time of the day. 

AaronP

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2009, 06:55:55 PM »

Hi! I just thought I'd better add a few more facts re: this case. I want to state that the police have been doing everything they can to solve it.

I'm quoting the following references:

(1) Calgary Herald, 1986 special article, "The Unsolved Puzzle"

(2) Alberta.com Special Report, April 22, 2001, "Who Killed Kelly?"

Between 1981 and 1986, 'more than 20 RCMP investigators have been handed the Cook file. All have reviewed it with a fresh outlook, but in the end all have come to the same conclusion: not a stone has been left unturned in the search'. (1)

'Over the years the murder file has been shifted from investigator to investigator for a fresh look, yet all of them have been stumped'. (2)

'... strongly believes the killer and police have crossed paths at some time during the investigation, which has exhausted thousands of man hours'. (2)

"I don't want to say that we've missed something and we've spoken to the guy, but when you look at the volume of work that has been done, I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't have spoken to the (killer) at least once... I don't know if he's been interviewed but I'm sure he's been spoken to. It's such a massive file that has gone on for so long and so many people have been spoken to." (2)

'Although town residents are disappointed the case remains unsolved, they are not critical of the police. Most say the police have done everything they can'. (1)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2009, 08:17:14 PM »
Yes I agree too the police did a great job this case too. It might even be the most investigated case ever in Alberta it seems.

Those men and women I am sure also put in extra effort because it was a child who was murdered.

It seems lilely IMO the police did in fact at least once contact the killer. In fact, the sketch may just be a hoax, who is to say even the guy at the gas station really saw this guy? It could be it was him. Here is why:

The gas station is closer to Hussar then Standard. Say she was there at the station (which may have had a house too) and escaped. She'd probably run to Hussar since I think the elevators are visible. He probably got in his car and drove toward Standard, did not see her, so drove toward Hussar (about a 45 minut walk maybe)?

The way Hussar is laid out, if she saw him coming, she ran across the tracks and into town to grab the payphone while he drove around to the entrance to town and grabbed and then killed her.

Why Chain lakes? Maybe he fished there or something?

Being at the station means he was not part of the Standard comminuty either, and he may have described a person whom he had seen before (which is why someone at the Hotel said they saw him).

This is just a theory, and one that expalins the time gap and such. Just trying a new way of thinking this case out.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »
This theory of coarse is based on the gas station being the one on the highway at the Chancellor turnoff between Hussar and Standard. If not, then obviously this does not work.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »
I'd say that theory bears merit Chris.... and I'll bet, given some quiet concentrating on it...and knowing the area and maybe even the habits of folks out that way, you and a few more could probably come up with a few more worth looking at. 
I was playing (for the first time) Christmas Day, the came of Clue with my daughter and grand daughter; it was amazing how scientific the whole thing can be.... the more possibilities you come up with, the better the chance of covering all ground....as you come up with scenarios that match the bits and pieces of info., then begins the narrowing down of possibilities.
Crime solving can very often be scientific - all possible profile of POI layed out with all possible clues.
Cris, Adrian, D1, Des, Haunted, Mauve, and a few more....you would make a great criminal investigative team.... if you guys had the physical evidence detectives have...and access to information they have, I would wager a very large bet, this board would have half as many cases on it.... imho

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2009, 01:43:50 AM »
yes it is amazing how little clues and bits of info can help piece things togather. I remember when I visited Hussar and Standard last August that abandoned gas station and never really thought anything about it except that I like to explore old buildings. But if that is the location, and it is possible that could be the spot.

I wonder if locals in Standard and Hussar remember if the gas station person at all? Maybe this spring, I will spend a night just so I can ask around.

D1

« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2009, 03:17:14 AM »
I found an area map of the vicinity surrounding the gas station. There are other significant sized bodies of water near there too. The killer had other water drop options besides Chin (if he knew the area)
Maps: see-http://www.ourheritage.net/maps/south_ab_ca1918_31.html

Re:
The police seemed to have suspect, (a rapist) in that case, (Joanne Pederson?s) but nothing happened..
Similar allegations have been voiced in Kelly's case. A suspect was questioned but nothing more came of it. It would be interesting to compare the suspect photo's with the police sketch.

Explanation:
It is quite possible that confidentially the police have a potential suspect, but just don?t have the evidence to back it. Freedom of information, confidentiality laws etc... would all come into play and prohibit anyone from knowing. Suppose for instance that the rapist suspected in Joanne Pederson?s murder, http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,69.msg139.html#msg139
and the person questioned in Kelly?s case, were one of the same; that they have been linked by location and timing but the police lack the confirming physical evidence to get anywhere past coincidence? It might not be a question of who, but how do you prove it? The hands of the police can be tied for reasons other than we are told.

Point being, we may not be looking for anything new here in order to identify the perp. After 20 or so investigators, there might not be any more stones to be turned over. They likely have all the evidence there will ever be, and assumedly, have tested it all for any forensics. Maybe the answer has been staring us right in the face all along!! We just have to see it. Like that picture you can only see one way until you stare at it awhile, then the old woman suddenly changes into the young damsel.

Brazen would not go silently into the night; he would surface again. We might all see him, but would we recognize him?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:16:49 PM by D1 »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2009, 10:24:36 AM »
Di, I like you feel that the answer to solving Kelly's murder is staring right in plain sight. The more the file is gone over, the more things add up. Something in the first pages of this investigation probably hold the answer. If there was a strong clue that was felt that could solve the case, go back to it because that is probably the answer. If you notice in most of the cold cases solved, the answer was right there in the initial investigation. The murderer was possibly someone that did not live in the community and then maybe they are right in plain sight. No one suspected a person right in their own community of the murder in Ebson, just a couple of months ago. So the person could be right there living in the neighbourhood and holding the secret over all these years. Nothing can be overlooked. Hope it is solved at some point in time and that Kelly's family can close their eyes at night and know the killer is behind bars. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2009, 10:58:12 AM »
Exactly Capeheart, having been interested in cold cases for years, I've done a lot of reading on different cases. It seems that a lot of the time, the name of the murderer appears somewhere in the initial police investigation. As D1 pointed out, RCMP may have simply lacked the evidence needed to proceed. Like was said, any available evidence has probably been gathered and gone over with a fine tooth comb. The possibility is that it won't be any new evidence that will solve this case, just new eyes looking at it from a fresh perspective. This has been going on for far too long now. It's time for some peace and closure for Kelly's family, and justice for Kelly, whose life ended far to soon.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »

What age does anyone feel that Kelly's killer would be today? The word brazen comes up, and is fitting for this crime. Someone as bold as he, as diabolical as he, would never stop doing what he likes best, killing.

You know Arthur Shawcross, went to jail for slaying children. When he was released, his urges turned to killing Sex Trade Workers. This was in New York. The gals said he was a good john, until he couldn't get it up, then he went haywire, and visiously slaughtered them.

The fellow here, may have done the same. You guys are fantastic thinkers, and it would be great if this killer was caught.

RIP Kelly Cook ((hugs)) and may some kind of peace, and closure come to the friends and family of Kelly.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
Let's assume the guy was 38 - 44 in 1981. I guess that would make him 66 - 72 now. A good chance he is alive unless that guy in Warner was the killer.

AaronP

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2009, 05:01:48 PM »

Hi! Since I joined this thread earlier this week, I've posted a lot of factual data. I noticed some people had asked questions, so I'll try to answer them as best I can.

1) Was anyone else at the gas station where the killer called Kelly other than the service station attendant and the trucker?
- I don't know. If so, it was never mentioned in the news reports. Most likely, however, but apparently only the trucker and the attendant were privy to the phone call the killer placed to Kelly.

2) Who was the attendant at the gas station, and how old was he?
- His name was Lee Abbott. I have no idea how old he was, but I remember seeing him on TV back in the early 1980s, and I'm guessing he was in his late 40s or early 50s then.

3) What gas station was the call made from?
- It was a Shell service station several kilometers outside of Standard. I believe it was by the Trans-Canada Highway, although I noticed Chris says it is no longer there.

4) Can you post a map of Chin Lake with the site marked where the body was disposed of?
- I posted a hyperlink of Chin Lake, but I have no more map-related information than that.

5) How did police know the killer recognized Kelly?
- I don't know. It was probably speculation on their part.

6) What's the address where Kelly lived in Standard?
- I don't know. In the White Pages, I don't think you'll even find Standard. I once came across a really old phone book, from the late 1960s, and Standard residents were listed there, but I don't think they are anymore. Wonder if the Kelly Cook case had something to do with it? However, I did see a TV news report around 1990 where reporters went to interview Kelly's parents at their home in Standard. I recall it was on a cul-de-sac, and as you turned into the cul-de-sac, the house was on your right. It was a bungalow, and I remember that it was not elevated per se (i.e., no stairs leading up to the front door - instead, you opened the front door and you're right on the walkway). Standard's very small, so I don't think it'd be too tough to find it.

7) Aaron, you could solve this case, couldn't you?
- Sorry, but I don't think so. If the police haven't managed to, I don't think I'll have much better luck.

8) Re: the picture I posted, is that the bridge that crosses Chin Lake?
- I think so, but I'm not sure.

9) Did police ever have a suspect in this case?
- Well, I recall reading around 1989 that a guy arrested in the States might be Kelly's killer, but nothing came of that. That's the only time I recall police mentioning that they had suspicions about a particular man. In that case, he was already arrested when the police made public their thoughts on him. I don't think the police would comment on suspecting someone if that person was still walking the streets. Take Karla Homolka, for example. The fact she was involved in sadistic sex crimes only came out after she was formally arrested, even though the police knew of the crimes she'd committed for several months beforehand. I think the police would get in trouble if they publicized their suspicions about identifiable individuals with no proof to back them up, but once arrested, that seems to be a different story.

10) Did Kelly's killer ever strike again?
- He may have, but I don't recall news reports mentioning any connections to any other homicide cases.