Author Topic: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 1  (Read 399000 times)

haunted

Re: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 1
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2008, 03:01:07 PM »
sorry, above message was posted incomplete,

That was the article from the Sun and really the only thing recent in the media besides this site, and the RCMP cold case site.

I will endeavor to contact the investigating officer and see about the sketch and if they have any objection to it being posted on line. If I can't get it from there I might have another way to try.

I am cross referencing all the other links that Des cited on here. I definitely find the Cotton disappearance interesting too along with Shannon Prior. I guess I have been hoping to find an abduction as bold as this one and I just haven't come across it yet.

I agree, this doesn't sound like a rig worker. This is someone who was through there on a regular basis, temporarily staying with someone who lived there or  would go out to the outlying communities, perhaps from Calgary. This reminds me of a Banff murder around the same time line and really Standard and Banff are both close to Calgary but in opposite directions. The car was either owned by the perp or stolen but there has never been anything indicated a stolen vehicle from the area. I think the car belonged to the perp. I believe his appearance made him fit into a 'farming' town and he definitely would not have had an accent, or that would have been made known right away. Something makes me think the car was navy blue but then the article from the Sun said light colored, but I am not sure if that is in fact correct. If I recall the poster that was initially done up had the suspect, Kelly's photo and a picture or description of the car.

It would be interesting to know exactly where at Chin Lake the body was found. It had to be not too far off shore because it was a motorist who stopped by the lake somewhere who discovered it. And yes, had the lake not been unusually low, the body would not have been found. They do not know cause of death, so either the state of decomposition was too great and/or it was a cause like asphyxiation that would not leave visible signs (ie stab wounds etc). Does not state if sexual assault occured.Her body was found clothed, but to what degree it does not state, or if in the same clothes she was wearing when she disappeared. This of course does not mean there was no sexual assault, in fact, we know from most other cases that it is rare that a young woman would be abducted and not assaulted.

Also the article that featured Kelly's friend, the figure skater/initial target, may have been in the Strathmore paper (I am uncertain if Standard had/has its own newspaper). Strathmore being a larger centre closer to Calgary could/would attract more people, especially people travelling on the transcanada through Calgary.

If the person was really local, he would have been identified by someone, if he looked too out of place he would been too obvious. Possible there was more than one person in on this, an out of towner and a local, like a local from Hussar?

Also, the last name chosen by the perp, Christensen, is a somewhat common name in that area. It is common to Standard, Hussar, Strathmore and Carseland. I know that the perp obviously did not use his real name and likely took a last name out of the phone book.

Will try to get sketch of suspect.............

haunted

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2008, 07:22:27 PM »
The article about this case says that the call the operator heard from the payphone in Hussar was around 10pm, yet Kelly was abducted at 830. Hussar is 25 km straight east, at most a 15 minute drive. So, assuming the call was from Kelly and really, it would be a pretty big coincidence if it wasn't, then where was Kelly for the 1 1/2 hours between the time she was picked up and the time that call took place? The landscape is bald prairie, not the kind of place you could pull off the road, into the bush. The perp would know that he would have only a certain amount of time before Kelly's parents knew something was wrong and people started looking for her. I still wonder if she wasn't taken to a place in/near Hussar, to someone's house or an abandoned building and got away to the payphone before she was intercepted.............. 

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 01:06:57 AM »
Both Standard and Hussar are towns that do not see a lot of outsiders, so a person who knows the area is my guess too. Standard is probably too small for a paper, maybe one fo those weekly 2 pagers, and Hussar is even small.

I'm sure the police traced the calls to see where they came from and interviewed a lot of people. It does seem like a case where they must have a very strong POI.

I keep meaning to stop in Standard on my travels, but have not thus far. I'll make a better effort when I go next time. I want to find someone to ask about this.

haunted

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 02:48:08 PM »
I have had a look at a lot of the link and references Des has posted.

The Barbara Cotton murder is interesting. I also looked more carefully at the info on line about Terry Arnold as he was active in his serial killings beginning in the early 80's and had links and crimes in Alberta (calgary), however he would have been approx 18 when Kelly was murdered and that just doesn't fit. The description was someone in their 30's - 40's. Also, it would be difficult to be pass the idea of needing someone to babysit kids when you're 18, easier when you're in your 30s/40s.

I also found it interesting that Clifford Olson was at the height (or so we think) of his activity at precisely that time. I know that he is really only linked to crimes in BC and the maritimes but it states that he would rent cars and put tens of thousands km on rental vehicle looking of his victim. The thing about him is he didn't go to this much trouble to find a victim and secondly since his became so public so soon after he would have been identified as the suspect, I would think.

I believe that this murderer was more of a 'family man' who was gainfully employed, who did not live at the fringes of society and was not about to commit a crime in that regard. I just don't understand why there aren't more clear links to other crimes as similar as this one.  It was a bold and brazen crime and the murderer took so many risks that most would not or do not take.  Most others seem to involve a quick snatching from a public place (roadway etc), picking up a hitch hiker or often STW. It seems that the murderer thought he was smarter than the rest of us. I am sure that he was sure he would get away with it and hope that he is dead wrong.

The links that you posted, Des, about bodies near lakes is interesting. Would be interesting to find a another case where the body was weighted down with cinder blocks. I don't believe that the cinder block part of the plan was any kind of a last minute plan. I believe that the murderer had the blocks in the car or where he took Kelly, along with whatever bound her to the blocks, after all, cinder blocks aren't just lying around anywhere, such as a rock would be.

Hoping someone out there knows more information or that the media can run another story about this one, among other of the unsolveds and give these crimes the attention that they need from the public.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:00:37 PM by haunted »

haunted

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 10:13:50 PM »
Des

Definite possibility. I doubt that Chin Lake was a coincidence. Also, there are many other lakes that could have been chosen. I feel the perp would have had some connection there, like it was familiar in some way.

I found the Patricia Lupton case interesting though. She was lured in a similar way, it is just the time span between 1959 and 1981 that bothers me, but it is not impossible, if the perp in Kelly's case was closer to 45 (as the witness placed him I believe between 30 and 45), then in 1959 this guy would have been in his early 20's. Which means, if same guy, there are other crimes committed in between that we don't know of, or can't connect, OR there were no crimes in between, like possibly a prison sentence or something like that. I can't see someone who does this voluntarily leaving a gap of 20+ years in between.

I searched all over for similar recoveries of bodies weighted down by a cinder block and no luck either. you're right, Kelly may not have ever been recovered if it wasn't for a major drought, and heavy irrigation that year. Also makes me wonder, how far off shore Kelly's body was submerged. When the water levels were higher, is it like a location where you need a boat, because carrying a body and a cinder block to a depth that is deep enough not to be seen from shore or from a boat would be difficult. Therefore did the perp take her out in a boat to a 'safe' depth but then when the water levels receded to such a degree that her body became visible from shore???

I initiated contact with RCMP regarding sketch. Don't know if they would release again anyway, or if they would be wary that such a thing on line might be a liability toward their investigation. Will see if they reply and advise  either way.

You have taken a lot of time in logging and cross referencing so many crimes. I think that the families of these victims would be very grateful to you. I just hope that someone reads this site that has more information and it gives the police the break that they need.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 01:45:30 AM »
I'm thinking maybe the killer is from Lethbridge

Warner is just south of Lethbrdige, and there was a poster here who mentioned that people in town believed he was the killer. He has since died. BUt when I heard that, it was SO close to what had written it was weird.

Looking at my map, one would travel thru the Chin Resivoir when going from Standard to Warner.

haunted

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 02:17:44 PM »
The Warner possibility is really interesting. The location makes sense, in fact, pending where in the lake Kelly's body was, it could be VERY close to Warner. Would be really nice to know if there is more information available regarding that person, perhaps from someone who lives/lived there. For instance, did he fit the physical description or the vehicle description? What made people suspect him? Did the police know of this possibility (I am sure they probably were aware of it). Would also be interesting to know if there was a connection to Standard/Hussar (like what was previously posted about travelling work, or if this person may have had family in that area that he was visiting etc). When did this person die?

Anyone out there from Warner area able to comment on this?

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 09:10:44 PM »
Not sure when the person died, but it was years ago.

It would be great if a person from Warner could share more info. I happen to have a friend who lives nearby, I will ask him to find someone who knows and get them to send me a note.

If he was a POI, I hope we can learn why.

The only odd thing is, there had been no other simular cases in that area.

haunted

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »
I was previously wondering where about in Chin Lake Kelly's body was found, since it is quite a large lake. In viewing an online map and previous posts showing pics of Chin Lake, I believe Kelly was thrown over the bridge that crosses Chin Lake. I was trying to sort out if a boat would have been used, or not, in disposing of Kelly's remains, however the bridge over the lake makes perfect sense. It would be fast and far easier as well, it would be unlikely for someone to find, except that the water levels were low and a motorist must have stopped on the bridge and noticed something in the water. The bridge, just so happens to be on the secondary highway the goes directly to the town of Warner.

I am VERY interested to find out what residents of Warner believe about their former resident in regards to this matter?

Hope that more information comes to light and eventually this is solved and Kelly's family will finally know some answers.

haunted

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2008, 07:56:19 AM »
I definitely think the composite sketches should continue to be released since someone knew that person how they looked at that time and if still alive, someone knows them now. Further, I feel the sketches should be age enhanced every 10 years or so. It is often done in the US but I am not certain that I have seen many done in Canada (whether for the missing person or the suspect). In this case I am so interested to know if the person in Warner that people thought could have been involved matches the sketch done all those years ago. And, did he own a similar type vehicle?  I have requested the sketch be re-released and see if we can post on this site but I have not received a reply. Perhaps I won't.

I believe that there are people out there that know more, a lot more, in this case, even if by chance the murderer is already dead. Someone heard something, saw something or suspected something. Being that it is so many years later, maybe someone with information would feel more at ease bringing it forth at this time.

First Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2008, 03:39:59 AM »
Hello all,

I found your site when I was working on my blog post tonight.  Glad to see others still care about justice for Kelly and closure for her family.

http://janemorgan.blogspot.com/ 

Here is an excerpt from it:

Ask anyone who went to school with me in Standard, Alberta; they do not remember 1981 as the year we graduated.
We remember it as the year 15 year old, Kelly Cook was murdered.
To this day Kelly?s murder remains unsolved?.27 years! It is haunting and it can be all consuming.

No one, absolutely NO ONE; should to have to wait 27 years, 27 days or 27 minutes for the silence of violence to end.

If you read the remainder of my post you will see my daughter is now trying to cope with an unsolved murder of a friend.

It is late, I will post more later.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2008, 10:46:33 PM »
Hi First Lady, thanks for posting.

I am sure no one in Standard forgets 1981. Did you live there at the time?

First Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2008, 11:33:39 PM »
Hi Chris,

I lived closer to Rockyford.  I attended high school in Standard and was in grade 12 when this happened. I did not know Kelly personally. My younger brother was in Kelly's class.

Some of the details I remember....  it is quite fuzzy, 27 years is a long time.

The first contact was with a waitress (she was a friend of mine). As I recall she gave him the number of one of our other friends; who was not free to babysit, so she  in turn gave him Kelly's #.

I think it was the waitress and/or one or two other people who were in the restaurant at the time who helped create the sketch.  I think some of them may have also underwent hypnosis to try and recall details.  I know there was a sketch, but I cannot for the life of me invision it. 

Standard does not have a newpaper, but Strathmore does. http://www.strathmorestandard.com/
They may have the sketch in their archives.

I had forgotten about the call from Hussar.  I don't think Hussar had a gas station; but as some one has mentioned there was a payphone on the main street.

Not sure why, but I am convinced it was not anyone local.  There was talk at the time (and it makes sense); that this person just picked up the phone book and picked out a name to use; one that was quite common.  That, IMO does not take much planning.

As someone has mentioned Standard is not "on the way" to anywhere. The major cities in southern Alberta are Calgary, Lethbridge, Drumheller and Medicine Hat. To travel between any of them, you would not need to go thru Standard.

It is however very close to the Trans Canada hwy, which of course would offer easy getaway; it could be that Standard's proximity to the main highway corridor lent to convenience.

I have posted a link to this site on classmates.com ..... maybe others will visit here and be able to add more than I can.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2008, 12:57:47 AM »
Wow, I just discovered a simular abduction happened 3 weeks earlier in Olds ALberta. 15 year old girl, but he took her right off the street and drove to Edmonton with her before being arrested:
http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/newspapr/np_page2.asp?code=nn1p0236.jpg