Author Topic: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 1  (Read 399005 times)

D1

Re: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 1
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2009, 07:33:17 PM »
Great stuff!! Can pretty well answer my own questions now. No Bill !!  Hard to find a brother of a non existant person.

Re: police believe there was local involvement.. 

What all led to this conclusion?? Had to be something in the details of the ruse?? How did the police  know he recognized Kelly??

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2009, 08:08:45 PM »
Wow, thanks for posting all that. I never heard of the guy who showed up at the funeral place. That is very odd. Also there is the police who confirmed that the person must ahve lived or frequented the area. Which is also odd since no one knows who the guy is.

This may be one of the biggest mysteries in Canada.

By chance, do any of the artilces mention the address from which Cook was living at? Next time I am there, I'd like to see that place.

Also, I think I know the gas station they are talking about. It is long gone now, but it is half way between Hussar and Standard.

haunted

« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2009, 08:57:12 PM »
With just the information that is now here is it possible the suspect wasn't local at all?  He had 4 days from contacting the first intended victim by phone and got Kelly's name and phone number. He had time to do some digging on his own. It was a small town and easy to get information. Maybe Kelly's house or their neighbours house had their names on it or the mail box etc?  This guy could have stopped a younger kid walking home from school asking which house was Kelly's or have someone point her out to him. Perhaps a school year book that was at the local library? Is it possible that someone who was sufficiently motivated and with 4 days may have been able to come up with the information that the police are implying made this guy local - street address and what Kelly looked like?

Perhaps the suspect wasn't local but was staying with/visiting someone who was or his work frequenty brought him to the area and was staying in a hotel in Strathmore or something?

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2009, 09:38:38 PM »

AaronP , Have been busy lately, but have gone over your posts. I am going to re read the thread. Welcome here, and thanks for the information you have provided.

Wouldn't it be great if this crime was finally solved?

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2009, 10:26:21 PM »
I do intend to go back and read the whole thread; but for now here's a bit of what nags at my mind:
Between the Trucker, who this guy asked if he could use the phone, the service station attendant, and whoever worked the bar where this guy had a drink and left with a case of beer, - enough observation would have been made to describe height, weight, clothes, hair color, possibly car make and color..if any accent etc.  .....what was done with all that information? ....there's got to be something to go on somewhere!
I'm saying, if the local yocals (police) couldn't find or figure it out, well why in God's name didn't they at least publicize whatever they had to help find out who this guy was.  In this day and age, i'm sure there's a smart profiler out there who could paint a pretty good picture of who or what could be involved here.  Sounds to me like there was quite a bit to go on, just no spark in the minds envolved....or else so much shock and panic, brains were temporarily impaired.  It's time this case got solved.  I'll bet Aaron P...you could probably do it.... you know enough people to get all the facts and ask questions that may not have, and should have been asked back then.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:30:31 PM by lostlinganer »

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2009, 10:40:44 PM »

I am going to echo Ling, on that post!  :) :)

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2009, 11:29:38 PM »
ok...is this the Chin Lake spot where the bridge crosses the highway? I can't really tell on the other pic.

AaronP

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2009, 06:58:31 PM »
I was asked by another person to review the previous postings and see if there was any misinformation. This posting of mine is intended to set the record straight on a few things.

Sources I am referring to are as follows:

(1) Alberta Report, May 8, 1981, p. 48

(2) Alberta Report, June 5, 1981, p. 35

(3) Alberta Report, July 10, 1981, p. 36

(4) Alberta.com Special Report, April 22, 2001, "Who Killed Kelly?"

(5) Calgary Sun, November 5, 2005, "Who Killed Kelly?"

(6) Calgary Herald, 1986 special article, "The Unsolved Puzzle"

A. How could the killer have been identified if Kelly's parents didn't get a look at him?
- The call that the killer made to Kelly from a service station was overheard by an attendant and a trucker. 'Police have since hypnotized the trucker and the service station owner, who overheard parts of the phone conversation, in an attempt to come up with a better description of the suspect'. (4) 'The attendant recalled seeing a man aged 40 to 45 making a phone call from the station phone booth about 8:30 a.m. April 22. Nearby was a 1975 cream-coloured North American-manufactured car'. (1)

B. Kelly's friend who referred the killer to Kelly for babysitting was a gymnast.
- No, she was a figure skater. 'In March of that year, a photo ran in a local paper of a girl from a figure skating club. It's believed the same man who would eventually abduct and murder Kelly Cook saw the photo... On April 18, he phoned the girl... and asked her if she could babysit. She said no, but passed on Kelly's name...'. (5) Kelly was a member of the Standard Figure Skating Club between 1977 and 1981 (6), so that's probably how they knew one another.

C. The killer went to a laundromat in Standard.
- There's no news account of this. On April 22, the suspect was seen at a gas station and at a hotel bar in Standard. (2)

D. Was Kelly's killer responsible for killing two other women - one at a convenience store and one along a highway?
- No. Those murders of Laurie Boyd of Okotoks (killed at a convenience store) and Debbie Stevens of High River (picked up along the highway) were committed by Jim Peters and Rob Brown (now deceased). They were charged with the 1981 slaying of Stevens and the 1982 slaying of Boyd, but no charges were laid against either man with respect to Kelly Cook's death.

E. The killer's original target was approached while she worked at her waitressing job.
- No, the culprit phoned her and asked her to babysit; he didn't approach her in person. (5) Also, no mention was ever made in the news if she held a waitressing job or not.

F. Cinder blocks were used to anchor Kelly's body.
- Concrete blocks were mentioned (3) (4) in two articles I referenced, and cinder blocks in another (5).

G. A motorist discovered Kelly's body not too far offshore in Chin Lakes.
- No, Kelly's body was discovered by two Taber youths who were riding motorcycles along the shore of Chin Lakes. The body was not submerged when it was discovered, as the level of Chin Lake had dropped significantly over the past several weeks, leaving it exposed. (3)

H. Kelly's cause of death is not known.
- This was initially stated to the public (3). However, a late 1980s article in the Calgary Herald did say that Kelly died of asphyxiation. It went into no more detail than that as I recall.

I. Kelly's body was discovered because of a major drought and heavy irrigation requirements, causing the level of Chin Lakes to drop.
- Actually, May 1981 was a wet month in southern Alberta. Environment Canada recorded a May precipitation total of 142 mm in Calgary (normal is 60 mm) and 69 mm in June (normal is 80 mm). So it was hardly a dry spring. However, the winter of 1980-81 had been very mild and dry, up until May. So the region was in a drought around the time that Kelly was abducted, but not so around the time her body was discovered. The demand for irrigation would have increased as the crops grew, so it was probably not a huge demand for water per se - news reports did not state that the drop in the reservoir level was unusual.

J. Kelly's body was thrown over the bridge crossing Chin Lakes.
- No, this is not true. Kelly's body was discovered 200 yards away from the highway bridge. (3) Unless the killer had the strength of Superman, he couldn't have thrown Kelly's body that far.

K. People in a restaurant helped create a sketch of the killer (as that was where the killer's original target worked as a waitress).
- No, this is not true. No mention was made in the news whether the original target worked as a waitress, as police never publicly identified her. (5) The police developed a composite sketch after hypnotizing the service station attendant and trucker who overheard the phone call the killer made to Kelly. (4)

L. Kelly was still alive when dumped into Chin Lakes.
- This was never reported in any media accounts I read. That's a theory, but certainly not a fact.

M. Kelly's body was partially-clothed when discovered.
- No, Kelly's body was fully-clothed when discovered. (4)

N. The killer may have planned his crime for that time period because of Easter break, which would have meant no school for Kelly the next day.
- Actually, Kelly did attend school on April 22 (1), so that particular week after Easter did not constitute a week off from school.

O. Kelly was molested.
- Initially, police refused to confirm whether she had or hadn't been raped. (6) However, I did read a late 1980s Calgary Herald article which stated that Kelly had not been sexually assaulted, leaving investigators baffled as to the motive for her slaying.

P. The killer told his intended 17-year-old target that he was a brother to a Christensen who lived in the area.
- No mention was ever made of this in news accounts that I recall.

Q. There may be some clues around Hussar.
- Hussar is about 25 kilometers away from Standard. (5) However, an RCMP-coordinated ground and air search the Tuesday following her disappearance scoured the countryside, including buildings and coulees, within a 40-mile radius of Standard. (1) It's likely that there weren't any clues to be had, as four intense searches within this radius were conducted in the week following Kelly's disappearance. (2)

Anyhow, I hope that clears things up!

D1

« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2009, 08:38:56 PM »
Aaron; you have been busy! Excellent!! This answered all of the obvious questions and gets us all a lot closer to what we should be looking for. Now that you have gone through everything and cleared up all the misconceptions, do you have a new sense of what may have gone on here? These are still the most unusual and bizarre of circumstances to be found anywhere..it had to be one strange fellow who would even attempt to pull this off.
it will take us awhile to digest all this but I'm sure we will have a whole new batch of questions and a much deeper insight. Thanks,
d1

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2009, 08:50:58 PM »
Aaron; is the pic I posted (few posts previous to this) actually the highway bridge at Chin Lakes?...if so, what geographical direction is it?

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2009, 08:56:05 PM »
What I mean Aaron is: on the pic you posted, I can't tell where the bridge is...can you help me.

D1

« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2009, 09:07:34 PM »
I copied the bridge picture into a file and blew it up larger. Lots of detail, the bridge is at the end of a curve in the photo. I believe the picture was taken looking west to east.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2009, 09:42:51 PM »
D1; I just tried copying and opening with different pic programs...I lose the pixels when I blow it up.  I get a better look at the original posted....but I still don't see the bridge.
The pic with bridge, I posted, is suppose to be chin lakes bridge, but I have never been west, and have no idea which end of the bridge points east or west...or if it's on highway 36....or crosses highway 36...guess I'll have to go back to the maps and try to find one that might help me figure out where she would have been found (as to what direction he may have stopped vehicle from, I suppose it wouldn't indicate whether he was coming or going, because he may have back-tracked) ...just curious as to where he would have walked - seems to me, he had to be familar with the area to be that precise.

D1

« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2009, 09:56:03 PM »
The picture looses quality the bigger it gets but at one point the bridge is quite visible. Like you said, even on here you can see the bridge and a litle patch of blue water that it passes over. 'glasses required for any detail at all though". On the other download there is a map showing the layout of the bridge and shoreline in relation to the highway and pull outs. the gov/doc

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2009, 10:50:08 AM »
Wow that is just breathtaking.

I wonder if that guy in Warner who was mentioned in this thread was considered a suspect? In fact, I wonder if the police ever had a legit suspect? And if so, is that person still alive?

This is definetly a very very bold crime and one has to wonder if he has struck again?