Author Topic: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 1  (Read 398992 times)

haunted

Re: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 1
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2009, 11:33:45 PM »
AaronP:

Thanks for posting on this thread. It has been the thread of the greatest interest to me and one of the strangest to be found anywhere. I am hoping that you might be able to fill in some of the gaps in this thread and might be able to offer opinions on a couple of things. Do you know or have you heard if anyone else was at the gas station and aided in providing the composite sketch? Do you know anything about the attendant, like his/her age? What gas station was this? And what was said to cause the attendant to recall the suspect, etc?

Do you have any opinions on what could have happened or who did it?

AaronP

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2009, 05:03:34 AM »

Well, I recall that the phone call to Kelly on the morning of April 22, 1981, was made from a service station outside Standard. I remember seeing that service station once when driving east on the TransCanada Highway from Calgary. I remember reading that the first call was made to Kelly at 8:20 a.m. Kelly answered, but there was no one there. As I recall, the abductor was using the service station public phone, and apparently you had to put a coin in once the person you had called answered on the other end of the line. A bit strange, since I've never heard of any other public phone operating in that fashion, but I read that in a newspaper article on the case. I believe the abductor had to ask the service station owner for assistance, and that's probably why the owner remembered him. The abductor made a second call to Kelly at 8:25 a.m., this time reaching her. The service station guy and a trucker both overheard parts of the phone conversation.

I think the service station owner/operator was a middle-aged white man, but I don't recall his name or age. I do remember reading that Kelly was feeling antsy about this babysitting assignment she'd accepted. She asked around at school, and none of the other kids knew anybody by the name of 'Bill Christensen'. That evening, she was apparently on the phone with a friend of her's, prior to being picked up by the abductor, and she asked her friend if she knew of anybody with that name. I wonder if Kelly expressed her apprehensions to her parents? Ideally, even if the abductor had come to the front door, her mother or father should have insisted on driving Kelly to the babysitting site (i.e., follow along behind the abductor's car), since they didn't know this guy. But I grew up in Calgary, not a village, where the atmosphere is different, and hindsight is 20/20, of course. When you're a teen, you don't always approach your parents with such concerns, anyhow, feeling that you can deal with things on your own without having to hold anyone else's hand.

Kelly's body was dumped in Chin Lakes several yards from the shore (as it would have been in April) and 200 yards from the highway bridge. Her body was weighted down with concrete blocks, which suggests that they were placed on her body. That would have been difficult to do by tossing a body off the bridge! I guess the killer waded out into the water, well away from the highway bridge (and possible observation), and dumped her body out as far as he could wade (the water would have been cold!). That May in Calgary was very wet, but the winter of 1980-81 had been very mild and dry in southern Alberta, so even with a wet May, once June rolled around, there was more demand for irrigation water, and the level of Chin Lakes started to drop, exposing the corpse. The body was found on June 28, 1981, by a youth (teenage boy?) who was motorcycling along the shores of the lake. Kelly's parents were informed the next day, which coincided with their wedding anniversary.

I recall reading that Kelly died of asphyxiation (lack of air), but I don't know how exactly. Her body was so badly decomposed when it was found that identification could probably only have been made through dental records. She was probably killed shortly after being abducted. I wonder if she was killed near Hussar or at Chin Lakes, but I don't think the killer would have taken a chance driving all that way with Kelly alive in his car (and liable to fight back or try to escape). Just my opinion, anyhow!

haunted

« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2009, 08:28:06 AM »
AaronP:

That is really interesting information.

Would you happen to know which end of the Highway 36 bridge her body was dumped nearest to? The north east end closest to Taber or the south west end, closest to Wrentharm and Warner?

I did not realize that her body was found that far away from the bridge.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2009, 08:35:46 AM »
AAron P, can you possibly paste a map with the site marked?

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2009, 10:07:58 AM »
Thanks for the info. Those details do help paint a picture about the type of girl Kelly was and the possible motives of the killer. I wonder if the reason no assult took place was because Kelly faught back hard? It does seem she did manage to escape once.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2009, 10:20:41 AM »
Violent sex offenders definitely can get angry enough (once fought off) to lose their urge and just kill instead. imho
I do believe this would include:
~those who rape with the intention to illiminate the witness/victim.
~those who didn't necessarily intend to kill the victim but just became angry     enough, after losing their "urge" throught the victim's constant struggle.
~those who get the most satisfaction from "the struggle" - hense become enraged by a frightened-motionless victim, who perhaps thinks if they get through the pain of the rape, they may just get away with their lives.
- again...just my humble opinion!

AaronP

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2009, 07:39:05 PM »

I decided to get an idea of who Kelly Cook was. After all, we should remember the victim, not just the crime.

1) Calgary Herald newspaper articles, April to July 1981 - Kelly was 15 when she was abducted in April 1981, and I recall a June article stating that she could have been celebrating her 16th birthday had she been at home. The July obit section, shortly after her body was discovered, stated that she was 16. That would imply that Kelly was born in June 1965 and was murdered in April 1981, 2 months before her 16th birthday. I also recall an article that stated that Kelly had mentioned she was interested in becoming a lawyer.

2) Alberta Report, June 5, 1981, p. 35 - the article interviewed Donald Cook, Kelly's uncle, who lived in Montreal '... where Kelly and her family lived before moving to Alberta 10 years ago'. This would imply that Kelly was born down east and moved with her family to Alberta in 1971 (she would have been 5 or 6 years old at the time).

3) Alberta Report, May 8, 1981, p.48 - the mayor of Standard at the time, Elmer Jensen, described Kelly as "... one of our brightest and best liked girls" and also says that "Kelly was well-respected because she was very considerate of older people." The mayor also said of the Cook family: "They are a closely-knit, clean living family." The article states that Kelly '... had maintained an average exceeding 80% this year...' and that on April 22, she '... completed her homework after school so she would be free in the evening'. This is in keeping with the mayor's comment, alluding to Kelly as both diligent and intelligent. Finally, the article mentions that Kelly was in Grade 10 (which would be commensurate with her age) and that she '... usually babysat once or twice a week, the arrangements usually made by phone'. Therefore, since she babysat regularly, she probably wouldn't have been surprised at receiving a babysitting offer over the phone.

4) I also spoke to 2 persons who knew Kelly. One fellow was in Grade 12 in 1980-81 and attended the same school that Kelly went to. He knew of Kelly, but they weren't friends. He said that Kelly "was just... there." This guy lived life on the wild side, and I don't think Kelly was the kind of girl he would have gone for. Also, while attending university, I met a girl who hailed from the Standard area. She mentioned that Kelly did not have a boyfriend at the time of her disappearance.

5) Calgary Herald article on the case (March or April 1986) - it mentioned that her full name was Kelly Jane Evelyn Cook.

And that's a brief overview of who Kelly Cook was.

AaronP

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2009, 08:00:26 PM »

I referenced the following articles re: the lead-up to the abduction of Kelly Cook:

(1) Alberta Report, May 8, 1981, p.48

(2) Alberta Report, June 5, 1981, p. 35

(3) Alberta.com news article, April 22, 2001, "Who Killed Kelly?"

'The tragic story actually began to unfold in March 1981 when a man telephoned the principal of the local school requesting information about a particular student, not Kelly. When the principal refused to comply, the man hung up. Then, on April 18, four days before the abduction, a local 17-year-old girl received a call from a man identifying himself as Bill Christensen. He asked her if she could babysit. The teenager said she couldn't but gave him the names of Kelly and another friend'. (3)

' At 8:20 a.m. on April 22, the telephone rang in the Cook house. Kelly answered, but nobody was there. Less than five minutes later the phone rang a second time and it was Bill Christensen asking her to babysit that night. Police suspect the first call was made from a country telephone booth outside a Shell service station several kilometres outside of town. The phone worked by inserting a quarter after the person being phoned answered and police speculated that the man didn't know how it worked and then walked inside the service station. On the way inside, he asked a trucker if he could use the office phone. The trucker suggested he ask the service station owner'. (3) '... service station attendant Lee Abbott was able to provide the RCMP with their only lead'. (1)

'The caller arranged to pick her up at 8 p.m. and bring her home by midnight, the curfew set by her parents for mid-week babysitting jobs, Miss Cook told a fellow student Cindy Krabsen, 16. Since she didn't recognize the voice, she had asked him if he knew where she lived. He reassured her by providing the names of her next door neighbours. But Miss Cook was uneasy. She had never heard of a Bill Christensen, although there are some 30 families in Standard with that surname. "She was asking quite a few people about him," recalls Miss Krabsen. "By the end of the day, she must have been anxious. Nobody knew who he was." Marion Cook recalled that her daughter, who had maintained an average exceeding 80% this year, completed her homework after school so she would be free in the evening'. (1)

'A man fitting the suspect's description was believed to have been in a hotel bar in Standard April 22. An informant told police the man used the phone in the bar, bought a case of beer, and left'. (2)

D1

« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2009, 10:02:30 PM »
Hi Aaron, jeez we been talking on here forever with next to no info and all of a sudden you show up with a whole library full. Now I have to reread all the old stuff to figure in the new info. Might be awhile; have you read the earlier thread and if so, did you notice anything that we had based assumptions on that was completely erroneous?

AaronP

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2009, 05:09:18 AM »
D1:

Well, I stumbled across this site by accident. I remember the Cook murder case very well, even though I've never been to Standard. I always wondered how somebody could pull off a crime like that without getting caught. I have access to some older articles about the case, and those types of articles usually go into greater detail about a case than newer reports. For example, Kelly's uncertainty over who Bill Christensen was... that was mentioned back in 1981, but newer reports probably wouldn't talk of it.

AaronP

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2009, 06:39:44 PM »

I referenced the following articles:

(1) Alberta Report, May 8, 1981, p.48

(2) Alberta.com Special Report, April 22, 2001, "Who Killed Kelly?"

(3) Calgary Sun, November 5, 2005, "Who Killed Kelly?"

'Walter said he had just gotten home from a long day of work and was practically walking through the front door when Kelly was leaving around 8:30 p.m. "Kelly said "Hi dad, bye dad, I'm going babysitting" and she was gone," Walter said. (3)

'That night, she and her husband Walter, a fertilizer plant employee, were pouring over legal documents at the living room table when their daughter announced the arrival of the man. However, he didn't come to the door as most other parents did, and chose instead to wait in the car. Although she thought that was slightly unusual, Mrs. Cook returned to the table. Not until 9:30 p.m. did she begin to suspect something was amiss. Her daughter always called her from an employer's home to leave a telephone number and address. This time she didn't phone'. (1)

'At 8:30 p.m. that evening a car pulled up in front of Kelly's house. Her mother asked Kelly to phone when she reached her destination and she and her younger daughter, Marnie, watched through the window as Kelly got into the car. The call from Kelly never came'. (2)

'... within an hour, Marion knew something was amiss. "We had a deal when Kelly was babysitting that she would phone when she got there and she never phoned," Marion said. "I started phoning her friends. I phoned the postmistress to ask if anyone new moved to town and I called my friend at the bank and asked her, too." Meanwhile, at about 10 that night, a call was placed to an operator from a pay phone in Hussar, about 25 km away. All the operator heard before the call was cut short was the sound of a woman or a girl screaming. Police believe that call might very well have been from Kelly'. (3)

MY COMMENTS: The original news article stated Kelly was picked up at 8:00. However, I believe the time was probably 8:30. By 8:30, it would definitely have been dark outside. Also, I guess Mr. Cook arrived home from a long day of work and then immediately started perusing legal documents with his wife.

D1

« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2009, 06:47:14 PM »
Kelly's murder is one of the strangest and most brazen I have ever heard of anywhere. The killer drives right up to the door, waiting for his victim, all in a remote little small town in bible belt Alberta.
And he has gotten away with it thus far..Weird as hell..

This is the first we heard that Kelly was asking around so much and had reservations about the guy offering her the baby sitting job.

From April 18th the day the first intended victim was called, till April 22 in the morning when Kelly was called, there were 4 days to come up with a plan after getting Kelly's name.

Would the details of this plan, the names used, the actions that ensued, be available to someone from out of town, or would there have had to be some local involvement?

Where would the perp have obtained the information he used to build his ruse??

Are there hints within the details of the ruse that could lead back to the perp??

Kelly wasn?t entirely comfortable with the story. Did the Christianson mentioned even have a brother? Did that Christianson have kids that went to school?

I believe that somewhere in these details there are more answers to be found.

AaronP

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2009, 06:50:53 PM »

(1) Alberta Report, May 8, 1981, p. 48

(2) Alberta Report, June 5, 1981, p. 35

'By midnight, the now frightened parents were convinced their daughter was in trouble and phoned the RCMP. The police immediately telephoned all the Christensens in Standard. No one knew anything of the young girl's whereabouts that night. But even more alarming was the fact that no one knew a Bill Christensen. Unable to turn up a trace of Miss Cook, the RCMP contacted Colin Grant, director of the range patrol, citizens' crime watch sponsored jointly by the Mounties and the Alberta Cattle Commission, and told them to organize a search. Police and about a dozen patrol members knocked on every door in the village and scoured its perimeters. They, too, found no trace of her. "There is no doubt the suspect either lived in the area or frequented it," says RCMP Corporal Craig Green. "He knew what Kelly looked like and what her name was. He also knew the town layout and some of the neighbours. Other than that we have very little to go on." But police do not know of any area residents who disappeared at the same time the girl did'. (1)

'Last Tuesday, a second mass hunt was organized. Some 500 residents from the village and surrounding communities jammed the Standard community hall to hear the RCMP co-ordinate a ground and air search. The following day, about 200 men using motorcycles, aircraft, horses and four-wheel drive vehicles probed every coulee, slough, building and abandoned car within a 40-mile radius of Standard, but again were unable to find a single clue'. (1)

'Standard residents, who conducted four intense searches within a 40-mile radius of the village the week following her disappearance, still make periodic checks of barns and fields, hoping to find clues'. (2)

'The abduction of Kelly Cook has stirred up emotions in the Standard area to the point where the case was raised on the floor of the House of Commons last week. Progressive Conservative MP Gordon Taylor, who represents the riding of Bow River, in which the village is located, asked Solicitor-General Robert Kaplan to ensure that every effort is made to find the girl'. (2)

AaronP

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2009, 07:03:36 PM »

(1) Alberta Report, July 10, 1981, p. 36

(2) Alberta.com Special Report, April 22, 2001, "Who Killed Kelly?"

'The two-month search for 15-year-old Kelly Cook, abducted from her home in Standard April 22 by a man who had asked her to babysit his children, ended June 29 when her badly decomposed body was found in an irrigation canal 90 miles southeast of Standard. The grisly discovery was made by two Taber youths who were riding motorcycles on Highway 36 along the shore of Chin Lake, a natural reservoir 25 miles east of Lethbridge... The body had deteriorated so much that Calgary's medical examination office was unable to determine how, or when, Kelly Cook died.

Bound at the hands and feet by ropes, the girl's body had been anchored to the bottom of the lake, by two concrete blocks. It had been dumped several yards from shore, and about 200 yards from the highway bridge. An RCMP spokesman in Lethbridge explained that the body was finally discovered because the level of Chin Lake had dropped significantly over the past few weeks, leaving it exposed.

The RCMP subsequently dragged the lake in an unsuccessful search for additional clues, and a team of divers also conducted a fruitless exploration. The body is the first physical evidence uncovered since Miss Cook disappeared, and at least provides police with leads to pursue. Service station and restaurant owners on Highway 36, the route most likely followed by the abductor will be questioned, as will some Taber residents'. (1)

'Exactly what happened to the 15-year-old Grade 10 student after that was unclear until two months later, June 28, when a youth riding his motorcycle along the north shore of Chin Lakes discovered her fully-clothed body. The water line of the irrigation canal had dropped over a period of time, exposing the corpse. Kelly's decomposed body was rope-bound and anchored by concrete blocks'. (2)

'Following the discovery of her body, there was an eerie twist in the case. On July 2, 1981, a man went into the Calgary funeral home where Kelly's body was being kept and demanded to see the corpse. Attendants turned him away. Police still haven't been able to determine whether the man was her killer. Police say it was not common knowledge that Kelly's body was in that funeral home following the autopsy'. (2)

AaronP

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2009, 07:08:33 PM »

As per the news reports I've quoted, Kelly's body was dumped in Chin Lakes, several yards from shore (in April 1981), about 200 yards from the highway bridge, and on the north shore of the lake. The following hyperlink shows Chin Lake, including where the highway bridge crosses it. As per the details I've provided, you will probably be able to get an idea as to where exactly the body was disposed of.

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fieldoffices/prairies/fisheriesmanagement/pdf/bathymetricmaps/chinp.pdf

Also attached is a photo of Route 36 south of Vauxhall. This is the route Kelly's killer probably took, although I have no idea whether Kelly was alive or dead at the time.