Author Topic: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 1  (Read 398989 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 1
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2008, 07:49:09 PM »
Des; I've really leaned toward that; D1 opened my eyes a lot...he a great poster.
I also think this guy may have gotten the idea working around the carnival....using a disguise to look older...enabling him to be bold.  and had to try that out at least once.  just a thought!

I have some more of this to read however.

D1

« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2008, 08:18:28 PM »
Thanks guys and I'm glad to see that you are allowing for the possibility of this being Arnold's work. Just wanted to leave one thing here on this thread. To move past conjecture there is an open path that could still prove fruitful. In the news articles written by Suzanne Wilton, the name of Arnold's wife is published. Suzanne was able to contact her for information when writing her story. Arnold's former wife may still be able to provide details on where Arnold was staying after their breakup as well as vehicles that Arnold either owned or had access to. Suzanne never suspected that Arnold could be a suspect in this crime and thus never asked any questions.

haunted

« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2008, 08:38:23 PM »
D1, I have to say that I may have developed my own tunnel vision by thinking and over thinking this crime. I am using my own thoughts and rationalizations to try to explain things when clearly a person who can commit this kind of crime probably does not think like the rest of us. My mind is open and going over time on this.

Have any of you attempted to contact someone in these sort of circumstances? Is there a protocol to this? Does one try to reach the author of the newspaper first and inquire about how she located the ex-wife or will the paper give that out given FOIP etc etc?

I have to say that while I was ready to dismiss this out right based on my own thoughts about this crime, you have given some really useful information. And I guess when you consider it, there is only a small portion of society that commits these crimes and if you have one or two of these people in an area at the given time the odds that it could be them SHOULD be exponentially higher than being some 'unknown' person. Thanks D1 I will continue to read and ask more questions.

D1

« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2008, 09:30:22 PM »
Haunted, I do understand all of that and don't blame you. We all do that in some way especially if we have been looking at something for a long time. The forest and the trees thing. I believe that you have your own  reasons for the interest in this murder and thats why i just wanted to point out the reporter. I would try and contact her first, she may even have contact information for the ex wife and she may even be interested in this story if she were still contemplating writing a book. Either way she could be very helpful. Wish you the best of luck. Let us know how you make out.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 11:30:06 PM by D1 »

D1

« Reply #124 on: September 12, 2008, 11:39:20 PM »
Regarding Kelly's body being hidden.
Going over the news articles about Terry Arnold and the many murders he was suspected of, there were only a few that employed the use of a vehicle. The bodies of those victims were hidden, the rest were not.

haunted

« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2008, 03:48:11 PM »
I did note that about Roberta's disappearance. In BC one would be able to hide a body in the bush and forest areas. In Southern Alberta it would be much more difficult so water is the next logical solution. Smart too, in that I am guessing it would wash away all the DNA evidence, not that anyone was aware of that in 1981. Since the case is so cold  I really wish the RCMP would open it up and let the public know of what evidence and other information they have had and have investigated. It might lead to more information trailing in. I know that is not common but in 27 years I don't think a lot of headway has been made. There don't seem to be many murders solved this long after it happened and those that have been solved lately have been due to DNA evidence. I know there is something about touch DNA which I don't know very much about but again I am guessing that water would remove the traces of that DNA as well.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2008, 01:30:22 AM »
I think the water does get rid of most DNA, but there could have been some if she was raped. I sort of doubt there is much, but science is moving so fast they say in a few years they can test the air to see if someone was at a certain place and how long ago. That would be weird.

It does make me wonder where this investigation is at, and if it is stalled, why they don't go out and try to get more tips.

haunted

« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2008, 08:41:25 AM »
I am guessing that based on poster: Sue, who said that the cold case detectives in Calgary have been pulled off the cold cases to be used in current murder investigations, is that very little is or will be done in the near future. I HOPE that this information is not correct, however, if it is I PRAY that it is a temporary thing and that the cold cases will not be forgotten and will become active investigations again.

In Kelly's case, it is so frustrating because really there is a lot of evidence or at least information. In many cases, a person is abducted and never seen again. In this case, people saw the murderer, it appears the principal at the school spoke to the murderer some time prior to the abduction, his vehiclce was observed, the phone call in Hussar is likely some sort of evidence indicating a time frame and a location, the body was recovered in an unusual manner at a location that in and of itself is probably significant. There may or may not be DNA evidence. Certainly there are phone records that could shed some light regarding the phone calls made to the school and to Kelly's house. The cinder blocks and whatever was used to bind her blocks must be some sort of evidence. There is a composite sketch. Really, there is a lot more to work with on this case than a lot of cases out there.

It is my hope that someone out there that knows something that they didn't want to bring forward in the past, or something they didnot think was significant or related. This man was so cocky, perhaps he bragged about it to someone: friend, co-worker or another inmate if he was incarcerated for other crimes.

haunted

« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2008, 03:12:25 PM »
For those who follow this thread, information has come to light regarding the possible connection of a man (deceased) who was from the Warner Alberta area with regards to this case. Some further digging is going on and once more information is gathered, it will be posted, as long as it is not deemed libelous.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »
 hope and pray this becomes solved.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2008, 11:58:10 AM »
I am very interested in this. Warner fits the profile and I guess there are people in that area who use the fake name that was used by the murderer.

haunted

haunted

« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »
Here is another interesting link to an article about a man from the general area involved in murders of females in the same general time frame.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,2408.0.html

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 17, 2008, 12:40:25 AM »
Yes, this Robert Edward Brown guy would be a POI for me. He killed 2 females in the Calgary area around the same time and they were young.

Sad thing is, there are so many people now who fit the bill that it is kind of scary to know this many freaks were running around then.

Today the Adam Walsh case was solved from 1981, so it goes to show it is never to late. I hope someone out there who has more info will post it here.

AaronP

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »
I was a child growing up in Calgary when this murder occurred. Looking back, it seems that the killer took some pretty big risks. He phoned Kelly on the morning of April 22, 1981, from a gas station, where he was observed by the station owner, who even overheard part of the phone conversation (hence the composite sketch of Kelly's abductor). He picked Kelly up at her house that evening, and what would have happened if someone had walked by, glimpsing his license plate number (which could have been recalled under hypnosis)? And if Kelly did indeed call the operator from a pay phone in Hussar at 10 that evening, 1.5 hours after being picked up by 'Mr. Christensen', then the killer didn't get too far away from Standard in that 90 minutes of time. One would think that he would want to put as much distance between himself and Standard as possible before her parents got suspicious and contacted the RCMP.

He did phone a local 17-year old girl on April 18, asking her to babysit, but she declined. He probably decided on another girl at that point, fearing that his intended victim might be suspicious if he called her again. And time was running out for him if he didn't act soon. Brazen as he was, I don't think he'd have risked picking up Kelly at her house while the sun was shining. Daylight savings time was later in 1981 than it is now, but the end of April - marked by more daylight in the early evening hours - was drawing nigh. Had he picked up Kelly at her house before dark, there would have been a much greater chance of other folks being outside, or of Kelly's mother glimpsing the license plate as she watched through the living room window as her daughter left the house.

I spoke to a guy once who had been in grade 12 back in 1980-81 and had gone to Kelly's school. She wasn't a friend of his, but he described her as a good girl who was simply 'there'. She didn't stand out from the crowd per se, she wasn't a party animal, and this guy was puzzled over why the killer chose her when there were "some way hotter chicks at the school." A rather crude remark on his part, of course, but I feel the killer wanted to target a 'good girl' rather than an easy target, even if she was a knockout to look at. Let's face it, he could have gone to a lot less trouble if all he wanted to do was abduct and murder a teenage girl - there are teen prostitutes, for example. But he probably got some sort of thrill from abducting this nice girl from under her parents' noses. That was obviously part of the whole deal for him. It was the circumstances behind and around the crime - and not just the killing - that he got off on per se.

I also wonder about that phone call made from that phone booth in Hussar. Assuming it was Kelly, why was she so close to Standard? How did she get away from the abductor? How close was he on her heels, and was she surprised when he caught up to her at the phone booth, or did she manage to grab the phone as she wrestled with him in hopes of alerting the authorities to her plight? Perhaps we'll never know, but I feel the killer probably used the ruse of living out in the countryside, so that Kelly would not suspect his real motives until they were well away from Standard and ideally the main roads. I can only imagine how terrified she must have felt when she realized what was really transpiring.

I do recall reading newspaper articles that stated that Kelly had not been sexually assaulted. And her body was discovered fully-clothed, though badly decomposed, in Chin Lakes. What was the motive for the killing then? Not sex or ransom. Perhaps it was just his own perverted desires, and his own sickening thrills, that drove him to do what he did. He may have simply been elated on being able to pull off the abduction and murder of a teenage girl under certainly unusual circumstances. But only his confession would truly provide the answers to these questions.

It's been almost 28 years since the crime, but there's always the chance that it will be solved. Adam Walsh was murdered in 1981 in Florida, but late last year, the police announced that they'd solved the crime. Of course, Jack the Ripper was never brought to justice, so it may be that Kelly's family will never see closure in this case. The agony that her parents have endured over the years is heart-breaking to think about.

Rest in peace, Kelly Cook. Even if your killer escaped the long arm of the law in this world, he'll still have to answer for his crimes to a higher judge. God knows what we do, and no criminal can escape justice for eternity.