Author Topic: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 1  (Read 399006 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile

Name: Kelly Jane Evelyn COOK

Details: Kelly Jane Evelyn COOK, a 15 year-old female, lived with her parents in the village of Standard, Alberta, which is located 70 kilometers northeast of Calgary, Alberta.

On April 22, 1981, at 8:20 A.M., Kelly received a phone call from a man identifying himself as Bill CHRISTENSEN. The caller asked if she would babysit that evening. Kelly agreed and arrangements were made for the caller to pick up Kelly at her residence.

At 8:30 P.M., a full-sized North American car pulled up in front of the COOK?s residence. The unidentified male and Kelly were last seen departing the residence. Kelly was not seen alive again. Her body was discovered in the Chin Lake Reservoir (east of Lethbridge, Alberta) on June 28, 1981.

It is believed that the perpetrator of this crime had planned the abduction over a one or two-month period.

A one hundred thousand dollar reward ($100,000.00) from the Village of Standard is offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the perpetrator of this crime.

If you have any information about this case, please contact Cpl. Andrew JOHNSON, Calgary RCMP General Investigation Section at (403)-699-2611 or Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cold_case/cook_kelly_e.htm

Here is a sketch of the suspect
Here is a sketch of the suspect: (There is word a suspect was known in Warner Alberta, but has since been murdered himself. If anyone can add to that or confirm, please let us know.)

He was 30 - 40 years old.
ABout 5 foot 10 inches and 160 pounds
Medium to heavy build
Round face with swarthy complexion
Hands and face were weather beaten
Clean shaven, short fark hair
Had a blue windbreaker with possible company logo or emblem on it.
Driving a 1978 or newer (remember, this is 1981) Chysler or GMC full size, light color, possibly pale with Alberta plates.
Stocky
Dark hair and eyebrows
Abrupt mannerisms
Often props his sun glasses on his head.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:08:08 AM by Chris »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly Cook - 15 - Murdered - April 22, 1981 - Standard, AB - PART 1
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 02:21:57 PM »
I think the RCMP 'know' who did this. From reading the cold case article in 2005, they seemed to imply that a person was questioned but no proof was found. For this to be planned for months does also seem like the person must have known her.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:16:39 AM »
The weird thing about Standard is that it is not a route anyone would use unless you needed to be in the area. North is Rosebud and south is highway #1. It is not a shortcut to anything, it's not a town you just pass thru. Maybe I will send an e-mail to the village of standards website and see if anyone can give more details.
Chin resevoir does seem like a place in which a person driving down highway 3 would use to make a quite dump while heading to thier next destination. Is that close to the hamlet of Chin?

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 12:47:59 PM »
I sent a note asking for more info. I hope to hear back after Easter.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 01:24:51 AM »
It was something that just didn?t happen back then ? especially in a small town.

But the worst kind of crime imaginable struck the village of Standard with the abduction and murder of 15-year-old Kelly Cook.

It?s a case that captured the attention of people across the country, and nearly a quarter century later, Walter and Marion Cook have yet to give up hope the monster who took their daughter and left her dead hundreds of kilometres away will be found.

But with that hope is the resignation that after nearly 25 years, they might never know why their little girl had to die.

The predator responsible could be long-dead or even rotting away in a jail cell.

The ordeal began for the Cook family on April 22, 1981.

Kelly received a call about 8:30 a.m. from a man identifying himself as Bill Christensen ? a resident of the village 80 km east of Calgary ? who asked if the teen could babysit that evening.

She agreed and arrangements were made for the man to pick her up at the family?s Standard home.

Walter said he had just gotten home from a long day at work and was practically walking through the door when Kelly was leaving around 8:30 p.m.

?Kelly said ?Hi dad, bye dad, I?m going babysitting? and she was gone,? Walter said.

Kelly was last seen getting into a full-sized North American car, but her parents never got a look at the man who whisked her away forever.

She would never be seen alive again and within an hour, Marion knew something was amiss.

?We had a deal when Kelly was babysitting that she would phone when she got there and she never phoned,? Marion said.

?I started phoning her friends, I phoned the postmistress to ask if anyone new moved to town and I called my friend at the bank and asked her, too.?

When those calls yielded nothing, the police were called.

Meanwhile, at about 10 that night, a call was placed to an operator from a pay phone in Hussar, about 25 km away.

All the operator heard before the call was cut short was the sound of a woman or a girl screaming.

Police believe that call might very well been from Kelly.

Over the following days, dozens of police and hundreds of volunteers from across the province scoured the area around the small village.

But as each day passed, hope that Kelly would be found alive dwindled.

?Those days, I carried a shotgun around with me while we were searching, and if I?d have found him, I would have shot him,? Walter said.

Two months after Kelly?s disappearance, on June 28, the Cook family received the worst possible news ? Kelly?s clothed remains were found in the Chin Lakes Reservoir ? about 200 km southeast of Calgary.

Her body had been tied to cinder blocks and tossed into the water.

Calgary RCMP Cpl. Andy Johnson, who is the lead investigator on the file today, said when the body was found it was in an advanced state of decomposition and there was no obvious cause of death.

?My belief is that Kelly was killed shortly after the kidnapping ? she wasn?t held for very long,? Johnson said.

?I think the brazenness of the offence is what?s unique in this, I don?t think we?ve seen anything as brazen as this.?

He said it?s likely the crime was planned by a man over a two-month period, by someone who was probably living in the area at the time.

?Our basic theory is that Kelly had not been the intended target originally,? Johnson said.

In March of that year, a photo ran in a local paper of a girl from a figure skating club.

It?s believed the same man who would eventually abduct and murder Kelly Cook saw the photo and phoned the Standard school, assertively trying to get information about the girl from the principal.

The principal refused, but the man managed to find the girl?s number.

On April, 18 he phoned the girl, whom police have never identified publicly, and asked her if she could babysit.

She said no, but passed on Kelly?s name, not knowing that it would lead to her friend?s death.

The killer is about 5-ft.-10 with a medium to heavy build. He would have been between 30 and 45 years old back in 1981 and he had brown hair, a square face, wide nose and sideburns.

He was driving a medium or full-size, light-coloured North American car.

Kelly would have been 40 this year, and despite having happened so long ago, the case still generates two or three tips a year, police say.

Her parents, while they would like closure, said they have moved on from the ordeal as much as anyone can, as they had two other children to raise.

?Today, we would more or less like to know why,? Walter said.

?It?s getting up there and it?s getting harder and harder to solve ? I?m sure the guy hasn?t kept it to himself.?

? ? ? ? ?

Anyone with information about who might be responsible for the death of Kelly Cook is asked to call Cpl. Johnson at the Calgary RCMP General Investigation Section, at (403) 699-2611, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

A reward of $100,000 is offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Kelly?s killer.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 01:28:20 AM »
Notice on the article I posted above that a man whom the police know, had asked about baby sitting and that female passed on Kelly's name to that man to babysite. I am certain this person had to have been a suspect. I wrote to the town of Standard but no one e-mailed, called or wrote me back.

I hope that with advances in DNA and stuff that more info will become available. Calling from a payphone in Hussar is strange. I bet the person must have gotton out to get gas or something and she ran out???

I wish we had more info, for some reason this case in particular is very troubling to me and I find myself thinking about it often. The killer is still out there.

kindheart

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 12:41:36 AM »
This is some photos of where Kelly cooks remains were located two months later.

andy m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 10:24:37 AM »
I was in high school when this happened. I have never forgotten Kelly and as my life evolves like my marriage my daughters birth her now attending the UofA I find myself thinking of Kelly Cook and all that this son of a bitch stole from her. This animal needs to pay for the life he took. To her Mother and Father my deepest sympathy. I am very happy to see you are still pursueing her killer.

This guy is still out there. From what i read about serial killers they tend to hunt their prey using the same MO. So there should be a history of similar crimes. I dont believe this guy new Kelly at all. He found someones name in a laundry mat advertising for a babysitter and that lucky person was busy but, she passed on the her friends Kelly's number. Its bizarre that he used such a remote small town and in tune an even remoter dump site. I think a closer look at traveling salesmen perhaps in the farm and agriculture sales needs to be investigated. This person would have traveled the area and would know these remote areas having visited them during normal business. Wasnt her murdur during the planting season? Another path look into any oil patch workers someone traveling home after spring break up. I really dont like this theory too much considering oil patch workers almost exclusively use trucks. This guy was too fluid he has done this before and he wasnt from the area. No one goes unnoticed in a small town. When i was very small i lived in the community of Delacour and my family knew everyone in the community. Is there someway one can email all the different police departments and see if they have any unsolved or similar murders in their area. Some how i just know if we could find a way to map out this guys movement and progression he could be caught and destroyed.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 12:49:14 AM »
Hi andy m,

There are no simular cases like this anywhere except in Ontario where someone use a ruse like that to lure a young female. I get the impression the police already know who, but are short of proof. The Calgary Sun had a write about this back in 05 and it seemed to give me that impression.

1981 was a bad year for Oil, the Feds pretty much shut everything down. Lots of people got jobs in the USA so at one time it was theorized that the person was heading south (to uSA maybe) since the body was found near Lethbridge.

I'd think the person who did this lived very close by. Afterall, Kelly did manage to get out and make a phone call from a payphone in the village of Hussar. I would guess this is where he lived.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 01:37:42 AM »
Yes my father in particular was one of the victims of teh National Energy Program. We moved to a border town with ND (in montana) in 1982ish and I know there was a lot of other Canadians who were doing the same thing. Most of the oil jobs were actually in North Dakota. I think Des's theory is a very valid one for sure.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 04:21:01 AM »
Isn't Glacier National Park in BC? Waterton is nearby though.

Is that the reporter who investigated the deaths of those 3 women in Montana for the news just before that? I remember reading about that, they just solved the case of the 3 murdered women.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 06:13:48 AM »
Opps! The american side of Waterton is called Glacier National Park. My error. There is one in BC too.

YEs, if you look under the solved section here, I put that info about that solved case in it.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile

andy m

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 09:07:15 PM »
I remember the 80s very well and Pierre Elliot Trudeau's one finger wave as he came west with his family to see first hand what his national energy program could do to a robust economy. We were one of a handful of families that held on to our home in Calgary's NE. The neighborhood was like a ghost town. Empty deserted houses left vacant by 21% mortgages.

Oil workers drive trucks usually 4x4s and i have worked rigs and know they can be a unsocial unruly bunch prone to fight over anything. This isn't the work of an oil rigger. I am trying my best to find any serial killer that was in the oil business. You can find lots of manslaughter cases but none that would lead me to suspect anything this planned or executed. This person wasnt a fledgling killer. He has done this before. Its daring and brazen and thats his excellerant. Its the capture. I have no idea about the phone call from Hussar but to me that doesnt seem out of line perhaps, Kelly did get a fleeting chance to escape and make a quick phone call. However there is not one shred of evidence that this had anything to do with the case. If? lets play devils advocate and say it was Kelly and perhaps the guy was from Hussar area. After killing Kelly he decides its not in his blood to kill innocent little girls and he fades away? No way this guy is out there and he can't stop. He is hard wired to the kill and to the chase. Its what he does that defines him.  Its like I am hard wired to like women particular women size hair colour demeanor. I have a friend that is Gay.(not out of the closet either) His life has been hard and anyone that thinks gay is a choice is ignorant. It boils down to what turns you on. Something in my friend probably from his birth makes him find men attractive. As hard as he tries to hide it by hunting and fishing and talking the talk. I see little signs and once at his house i seen a picture that i was clearly not suppose to see. I was shocked but it did confirmed my suspicions. He hid the picture when I left the room and i never approached the subject ever. It made me feel sad that my friend felt he had to hide this part of his life from me. I think this person is fantastic human being period. This guy might be able to live a normal life have kids a wife and such but what no one sees in him is what makes him tick. The secret that he tries everyday to keep pushed down. His every fantasy is based around this particular thought. He needs to capture secure and be in complete control of a lesser human being or one that his egomanical mind perceives as such. (Please forgive my callowness if Mr and Mrs Cook are reading this. Your daughter will always be in my heart and thoughts as i live my life and i hope someday to hear that this person is only minutes away from a nice leathal injection or better yet waiting to hear the clang of an electric chair as the lever is pulled.) This guy either died of an accident, maybe succumbed to an illness or is still doing what it is that makes him tick. No other way is this guy living the normal life. Taking other peoples lives for sport is not a thing you can turn off. Once you start killing people it becomes the persona of what defines you too yourself as who you are. The master the brilliant one the man in control. My exwifes Uncle used to be a traveling salesman that sold advertisment space on the sides of bowling lane score sheets. He used to travel to all these small towns and sell these advertising spaces to other area businesses. This is the type of guy that killed Kelly. A traveling sales person that had business in the area for a breif moment that spring of 1981. Not my wifes Uncle he was a short bald guy that was married and his wife traveled everywhere with him. I think the person is a traveling salesperson that was in the area. Someone who traveled alone and had alot of time on their hands. He would have a legitimate reason to be in the area and would have had a lot of time to scout out the area find the laundry matt. Most likely because he used it to wash his clothes while on the road. Look at all the posts. Pick out a victim and here we are today no further then the day Kelly was abducted and murdered. These parasites tend to pick out the easiest targets or ways of getting their victims into their hands. Picking up hookers is by far the easiest way. However this guys taste is not for hookers. He needs to be in control and would never go for a hooker that would probably make him her bitch. He wants to dominate and he can only do that if he can find little girls.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 12:52:38 AM »
Interesting post. First of all, our family was also one of those who suffered under NEP and we took off for Montana after that. It was horrible, never seen so many familes get up and leave like that.

When I read the calgary sun article a few years, I sort of got an impression that the police have a suspect in this. Finding small places like Hussar, which is out of the way you'd think the person would have to have been local.

There are other cases before of young girls being murdered or missing. This person could have been respsonsible for those too. And in fact, I was even wondering if this person may be in jail for another simular crime.

I really wish someone who had inside info could share more with us.

I do agree with how you feel about this kind of killer. I understand these kinds of killings is a pwerful force inside the person who does it. I wonder if this person (if alive and not in jail) drives back to Standard or the place he killed her just to relive the time.

A travelling sales person? Very well could have been, that would also fit the profile of the other young girls scatered throuout the west.