Author Topic: Dawn Eva Carisse-missing from north bay ontario for over 10 years now(2001)  (Read 13787 times)

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
Jobo I am not sure , that is my home town and my family all still live there in North Bay and area,  I will ask my brother or sister, they will know and get back to you.

Whipblade

• View Profile
The OH north of North Bay has been shut down and the patients have been transferred around to other facilities, couple of years ago. One of the hospitals inside North bay has been converted to deal with some of the OH patients, either a floor or two or the whole thing, that I don't recall too much of.
  The North Bay Nugget has a face book page where you can see some photos gathered on a tour of the now disused building. 
You may find the photographers webpage with the photos on the web somewhere.

I recall the security tight getting into the place when i was little visiting. But I don't recall if they made a smoking area after the inside no-smoking law came into affect sometime in the... 90's?

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
 Actually North Bay built one New large hospital headed out towards Stugeon Falls. The Civic and st Joes and the OH closed and were all amagamated to the new hospital.  So now there is one hospital and some of the floors are phyc floors.

Logical

• View Profile
My mother has spent many months in such hospitals and a few things come to mind, unless a patient is committed to the hospital by the courts they are there by their own choice and could not be kept by force against the wishes of the patient. If my mother refused treatment there is nothing we could do without a court order and they are very hard to get. The patients are not there to be baby sat, they are medicated and "treated" through out the day but are free to roam and socialize within the mental health ward. Doors are not always monitored and dependent on the medication patients may be allowed to roam outside the ward.

My Mother has suffered great depressions for over thirty years and they have tried many many many different medications over this time and the side effects for some and the combinations of others have very diverse and bad results.  Most patients I have observed and listened to talk about the side effects as worse than the depression, and stop taking the medication to try and feel normal again.

Depression is a horrible disease to deal with, not only for family members but Especially for the person dealing with it. They know they are not one hundred percent in reality for the most part but living in such deep sorrow and darkness becomes unbearable and they will do anything to stop feeling this way.

We need to remember this is not a prison and guards do not man the doors or perimeter, this is a hospital for chemically imbalanced people that the facility do their best to create a safe and healthy environment and hope that with medication and diet the patient can get to living a "normal" life.

I am happy to add my Mother has finally managed to stay out of depression for the last four years, this has been a lot of work and will be every day for the rest of her life.

I do feel and understand the concerns here but also can visualize the patients walking around like zombies zoned out on medication that are to stop the mind from thinking so much, I would not be surprised if the patients are allowed to walk outside, it is therapeutic and was encouraged at the hospitals my mom has stayed. It would be very easy to wonder off, and not be noticed until a meal time or bed time or appointment with a doctor is missed.

I truly am sorry for the loss of your mother and sympathize with your thoughts of what if, that too is a life long torment.

Logical

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
Thank you logical.  I know there is very much a misconcept that if some one has a mental health problem , which is a pretty broad spectrum , as it could be depression to more sever.  Most places for mental health help are not lock down wards, these people are patients, not prisoners.  Your right if they have not been court ordered while under arrest, they are not locked up.  After all would you want a family member locked up just because they were depressed?  Think about it truly.

Logical

• View Profile
Yes eyes, most of us are ignorant and afraid of the term mental health, I mean ignorant in a nice way - uneducated.  The media will only emphasize and viciously report on schizophrenia and more serious types of depression and they do so in such a way to put fear in the uneducated. It is despicable that depression sufferers and I mean all types are classified as Bad and scary people.  If we were to look at mental health issues as they are chemical imbalances and talk about it as we do cancer I think we would live in a better society, what ever happened to thou shall not judge. I dare anyone to try to walk an hour in their shoes before they make such ignorant comments, most depression sufferers are of higher IQ's they are far from stupid and have great difficulty understanding why they have such thoughts.

My Mother was lucky (can't believe I said that she has had a very rough life) , she was lucky because my father had and still has undying love for her and he visited every day ( I did too, we took shifts one day and one night if not both of us) this was so important to her recovery (most depression sufferers swing back and forth high low,high , low) since most sufferers already feel unloved or unworthy of love that we were able to show reality
and continued love and acceptance.

I mention this as her daughter had mentioned that her mother did not have frequent visitors and if her issues were on the low and feeling abandoned, unloved and unhappy I believe she left on a walk on her own and never returned.  She could be ok, living on the street or have perished in the bush, if the family is unable to get any information from the facility I really think they have none. I think she walked out on her own unnoticed, the only detail they may have is the last time anyone saw her. Do not forget, when you live her you are medicated in most cases so much so that you are zoned out. ( I remember asking my Dad why everyone had big black blank eyes like my Mom did, he said it was the heavy doses of drugs to numb the patient and get them to a place that doctors can communicate with them and stop the random thoughts.) I realized they were as high as kites, they walked like drones very slowly and aimlessly wandered the halls and outdoor park.

To be honest I am surprised that more patients do not go missing, most do not want to be there, especially when they are getting out of the low and see the other patients still medicated, it brings some of the demons back to the fore mind while in reality and this is very painful, embarrassing to say the least, in my mothers case she recalls very little of the million negative and destructive thoughts she had while deeply depressed, we however
remember all of them.

It has taken 40 years for my mother to finally control her depression, she cannot stop the lows from coming, she cannot be reborn and be given a better life but she can now sense and feel one coming and can increase medication to prevent it from taking over, she loves living in reality and does not want to feel the pain of her history and will do her best not to go there.

I share this personal detail for nicbeau79, you have missed out knowing your beautiful mother, that is truly heart breaking, the broken bond from mother is ever lasting, No matter what anyone says about your mother she was not crazy and she loved you, she needed assistance to balance her chemicals in her body that is all. You may want to, if you have not already, research your moms history, you may get to know her better, I know I sure did and I love her more than I thought I could.

Logical