Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Legal question about pedophiles with pardons.  (Read 2089 times)

xjusticex

• View Profile
Legal question about pedophiles with pardons.
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:56:08 PM »
My wife's father is a convicted pedophile who has been granted a pardon. We have a child together and obviously he never has and never will spend one second alone with our child, that being said are there any legal measures I can take to always make sure my child is safe? Is there any possible way to access his record? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Legal question about pedophiles with pardons.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:59:47 PM »
This is to acknowlege your post. Hopefully, someone on this site can come up with some suggestions.

Take care
JB

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:04:56 PM »
Does he live in your area? Was it internet? - or was it actual contact with children?
My heart goes out to your wife (girlfriend), and I recognize your concern.

JB

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:20:43 PM »
Hi xjusticex and welcome to the site,

I was able to find this information in an article at the link below. It does say that when a person is pardoned their information is stored in a separate data base. It looks like that is available to a perspective employer if the offender is applying for a job where he/she would be working with children. That would be if a criminal records check is done and it is noted on there that the person would be working with children. I wonder how many employers actually know that? It does no say who else, if anyone, would be privy to that information. It's good to know that it does still exist and can still be accessed in specific situations.

A pardon does not mean one’s record is overturned or erased. It means if the Parole Board of Canada is satisfied the offender has not reoffended and is making a significant contribution to society, their record is stored in a separate database, out of reach to most criminal record checks such as those done by employers.

However, if an employer notes on the criminal record check form the applicant is seeking to work with children, convictions of child sexual abuse will be disclosed.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/No-pardons-for-pedophiles-Sheldon-Kennedy-urges-Ottawa-110476649.html

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 02:41:21 PM »
My wife's father is a convicted pedophile who has been granted a pardon. We have a child together and obviously he never has and never will spend one second alone with our child, that being said are there any legal measures I can take to always make sure my child is safe? Is there any possible way to access his record? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to Unsolved!!

Granted a pardon?  Were there any stipulations upon his release?

JB

gumpslou

• Forever changed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 05:08:19 PM »
He has been granted a pardon, but if he tries to get a job around children or if the ministry does a record search it will show up. An example is my grandchildren were apprehended and were brought to us, we had to do a criminal record check we were asked if any of us had a record we all said no. My husband had a driving offence but had a full pardon but when his criminal record came back that he indeed had a driving offence. We were shocked it appeared and explained we had a pardon. It didn't affect us getting our grandchildren. If I check his name for a record it shows nothing, but certain agencies still have that access. I'm not sure what province you are in but in BC you can look up peoples criminal charges online at the government website, and the outcome. but he should have been put on some kind of pedophile database!

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 06:59:24 PM »
Taken from the first post above.

A pardon does not mean one’s record is overturned or erased. It means if the Parole Board of Canada is satisfied the offender has not reoffended and is making a significant contribution to society, their record is stored in a separate database, out of reach to most criminal record checks such as those done by employers.

However, if an employer notes on the criminal record check form the applicant is seeking to work with children, convictions of child sexual abuse will be disclosed.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/No-pardons-for-pedophiles-Sheldon-Kennedy-urges-Ottawa-110476649.html