Author Topic: Katelyn Markham from Fairfield Ohio - Found Deceased  (Read 20231 times)

soccermom

Re: Katelyn Markham from Fairfield Ohio - Found Deceased
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 08:59:07 PM »
Devastating. I wish it was better news:
Katelyn has been found, April 7 2013, deceased. My condolences to all --

http://www.thedcregister.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6403:human-remains-found-in-creek&catid=92:be-brief&Itemid=151

GoArmy36

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 06:51:33 AM »
OK.  I did some research with regards to the other missing girls and found this article from Fox news about Katelyn Markham dated 15 Apr 13.

CEDAR GROVE, IN (FOX19) - As investigators look for evidence among the remains of Katelyn Markham, one experienced criminal defense attorney has a theory about what happened to the Fairfield woman.

Markham's remains were discovered one week ago along a creek near Cedar Grove, Indiana. Markham had been missing since August of 2011, where she was last seen by her fiance at their Fairfield home.

She became the subject of an intensive search effort by police, firefighters and volunteers.

Attorney Mark Krumbein has years of experience defending murderers, kidnappers and even one man suspected of being a serial killer.

Krumbein says the circumstances surrounding the murder of Katelyn Markham and other young women bear some striking similarities. 

"In Indiana, maybe 75 miles away at Bloomington, Laura Spierer disappeared from the planet on June 3rd, 2011," explains Krumbein.

Spierer's disappearance preceded the disappearance of Markham by only two months. Spierer's body has never been found. In December of 1997, 23-year-old Laney Gwinner vanished from a Fairfield bowling alley. Months later, her body was found in the Ohio River.

"White females that disappeared with no explanation and two out of the three were found dead," said Krumbein. "I think this could be the act of a serial killer."

FOX19 contacted Markham's fiance, John Carter, by phone. Carter said that Krumbein's theory is shocking.

"I'm very torn up and shocked by this information. I don't know what to think," said Carter. "I hope that whoever did this is caught and punished to the fullest extent."

Krumbein further explains that the manner in which Markham's body was found could provide some important clues.

"It could represent somebody that treated her as if she were a piece of trash, unfortunately, and threw her in what's a dump. That could be something that would be something more of a trait of a serial killer or a random killer as opposed to somebody that knew her."

Krumbein states that most serial killers fit a certain description.

"The typical serial killer is a male white, young, maybe attractive looking guy that wouldn't cause any initial alarm to anybody," explains Krumbein. "They want to see it on television or in the newspaper or hear it on radio about the case itself, but they don't want themselves to be exposed."

Krumbein says the fact that Markham's body was dumped in another state fits the profile of a serial killer who hoped to throw off investigators.

Krumbein states that these killers tend to choose their victims at random, making them all the more difficult to catch. 

GoArmy36

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 06:53:21 AM »
Seems other people think that there is a serial killer on the prowl as well.  Article from Fox News.

CEDAR GROVE, IN (FOX19) - As investigators look for evidence among the remains of Katelyn Markham, one experienced criminal defense attorney has a theory about what happened to the Fairfield woman.

Markham's remains were discovered one week ago along a creek near Cedar Grove, Indiana. Markham had been missing since August of 2011, where she was last seen by her fiance at their Fairfield home.

She became the subject of an intensive search effort by police, firefighters and volunteers.

Attorney Mark Krumbein has years of experience defending murderers, kidnappers and even one man suspected of being a serial killer.

Krumbein says the circumstances surrounding the murder of Katelyn Markham and other young women bear some striking similarities. 

"In Indiana, maybe 75 miles away at Bloomington, Laura Spierer disappeared from the planet on June 3rd, 2011," explains Krumbein.

Spierer's disappearance preceded the disappearance of Markham by only two months. Spierer's body has never been found. In December of 1997, 23-year-old Laney Gwinner vanished from a Fairfield bowling alley. Months later, her body was found in the Ohio River.

"White females that disappeared with no explanation and two out of the three were found dead," said Krumbein. "I think this could be the act of a serial killer."

FOX19 contacted Markham's fiance, John Carter, by phone. Carter said that Krumbein's theory is shocking.

"I'm very torn up and shocked by this information. I don't know what to think," said Carter. "I hope that whoever did this is caught and punished to the fullest extent."

Krumbein further explains that the manner in which Markham's body was found could provide some important clues.

"It could represent somebody that treated her as if she were a piece of trash, unfortunately, and threw her in what's a dump. That could be something that would be something more of a trait of a serial killer or a random killer as opposed to somebody that knew her."

Krumbein states that most serial killers fit a certain description.

"The typical serial killer is a male white, young, maybe attractive looking guy that wouldn't cause any initial alarm to anybody," explains Krumbein. "They want to see it on television or in the newspaper or hear it on radio about the case itself, but they don't want themselves to be exposed."

Krumbein says the fact that Markham's body was dumped in another state fits the profile of a serial killer who hoped to throw off investigators.

Krumbein states that these killers tend to choose their victims at random, making them all the more difficult to catch. 

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 04:01:07 PM »
Very sad that another young woman has lost her life in a violent and senseless act of murder. We have no idea of who committed this crime. I read the link related to so many young women missing. Noted that two of them were from gas bars.  In all of these abductions, you would think there was a video camera somewhere that could catch a glimpse of the abductor. The FBI should really focusing on finding the perp with whatever evidence they have available. It is not necessarily so that serial killers usually leve the victims in a garbage area. There are a couple of cases that have come to light where a husband had taken his wife to a landfill. So it is not always serial killers who do this. Of course, this person would have to know his way around pretty good to know where such places are to hide a body. I do hope they find Katelyn's killer. I send my deepest sympathy to her family and friends. Gone from this world way too soon. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

soccermom

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »
I agree! I used to think of public surveillance systems as invasions of privacy; now I wish they would be everywhere.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 10:22:51 PM »
Very tragic, and my heart goes out to her family.  We have many Canadian cases sitting in the same boat.
Why another human being can kill another human being is beyond my comprehension.  I have followed Katelyn's case whenever I  could.  What a very tragic loss!  -- and for what reason?? What did Katelyn do to deserve her life to be snuffed out?  No doubt - Nothing!!!  Just being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

I do take note of the comments however made  by a Defence lawyer, about a possible serial killer.  I pause for thought about this -- I do recall the TV interview of her bf when she first  went missing  Have law enforcement themselves, stated this possibility (a serial killer)?.

If LE states so (a serial killer ) for public safety - then I will buy into it.  But the words of a defence lawyer?  Not!!
Arguing from her apartment?  Boyfriend or perhaps another? I don't think a serial killer is part of this here. 

Very upsetting to me. :'(

God Bless Katelyn and especially her Family whom will have to live with her loss for the remaining of their lives.

PEACE
JB
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:48:18 PM by jellybean »

2soccermom

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 09:43:20 AM »
Frank Smith, the "Cold Case Detective," has been commissioned by Katelyn's family: http://www.local12.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/cold-case-detective-now-markham-case-15951.shtml
It appears he has had some success with "cold cases" in the past. Let's hope he's the "fresh eyes" her case needs.

2soccermom

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 10:03:42 AM »
Here's a timeline, with internal news links associated with events in Katelyn's case, including the discovery of skeletal remains at the site she was found one year later:
http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/butler-county/19704680#!bIbmaN

2soccermom

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 11:30:11 PM »

2soccermom

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2015, 01:17:24 PM »
there's a documentary about Katelyn and her case being made:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local/documentary-highlights-mysterious-death-of-fairfie/nnBFC/ 

this is a great avenue for getting people talking again and getting info out there....
it would be great to see her case solved. The reward is now at $100k.

bumping for Katelyn!

**edited to remove facebook link
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 02:11:46 PM by debbiec »

2soccermom

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2016, 12:34:49 PM »
wouldn't it be wonderful (such as anything can be said to be "wonderful" given that Katelyn is gone and nothing now can bring her back) if this "new evidence" did, indeed, break this case open? Katelyn's father and friends deserve some answers in her case. If it was a drug overdose, someone still has some explaining to do, since iirc Katelyn's remains were partially found in a garbage bag in the woods. So at the very least, someone knows something, and has refused to come forward to bring closure to this case. To this day!
I am hoping against hope we will have word of this soon.
Thanks for updating Katelyn's site, Long Gone, with this (somewhat) hopeful news!

2soccermom

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2016, 02:37:38 PM »
Information about the short doc about Katelyn's life and case, Taken Too Soon: The Katelyn Markham Story at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJoWv-0JDgA
I'm not sure if any posters here were able to see the film?

2soccermom

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2016, 09:00:40 AM »
Last night Crime Watch Daily aired a segment featuring Katelyn's case. Specifically, the PI hired to supplement the work of LE by a large anonymous donation spoke about some of his findings -- including his analysis, as he found and iirc, of inconsistencies made in the 911 call and discrepencies in JC's timeline of events; witness statements contesting the suggestion the couple had not been fighting around the time of Katelyn's disappearance; blood found in the trunk of the car formerly owned by a male friend of the couple, who was with Katelyn and JC earlier the night she went missing; info that the area where Katelyn was eventually located (approx 25 miles from her home) is located is somewhat "close" to property owned by JC's family, and more. It is clear that the PI has compiled circumstantial evidence related largely to one person. I think what I took away from the program is the overwhelming reminder of injustice that Katelyn, a person so full of life and love, was lost to the world far too soon, and left in an area known for dumping garbage and indeed among a heap of trash. How horrendous for her family and friends. Her best friend spoke emotionally in interview in the airing last night about how Katelyn had really been her only friend, and her own sense of devastation in losing her. It was wrenching.
Bumping for justice for Katelyn, and answers for her loved ones.

2soccermom

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2017, 08:59:29 AM »
not a new article, but worth bumping -- from http://www.wlwt.com/article/sheriffs-office-person-of-interest-identified-in-katelyn-markham-case/8296347:

"The Butler County Sheriff's Office said it has a person of interest in the Katelyn Markham homicide.

"We did approximately 20 interviews to include everybody, and through that, we felt confident about removing some persons of interest," said Sgt. Rob Whitlock. "We believe we have narrowed it down to a strong person of interest."

No name has been released so far.

"The Sheriff's Office made it very clear they weren't going to tell me specifics, so I don't know names. I just know they've been working on it, and the statement that they have a person of interest is encouraging," said Katelyn Markham's father, Dave Markham.

Katelyn Markham, a 21-year-old art student, disappeared from her Fairfield home in August 2011. The last known person to have seen her was her fiance, John Carter. He reported her missing the next day.

In April of 2013, a scrapper found Katelyn Markham's remains in a wooded area in Cedar Grove, Indiana. That's about 30 miles from Fairfield.

Her death was ruled a homicide, but a coroner was unable to determine how she died.

Last December, Dave Markham asked the Butler County Sheriff's Office if it would help Fairfield Police. Fairfield has been the lead agency investigating Katelyn Markham's death.

"Each agency does things a little different and does things their own way, and that's all I asked. It seemed like Fairfield was at wit's end, and I asked for a new game plan," Markham said.

Markham said Wednesday's developments bring hope, but he remains guarded.

"I've been let down too many times to get too encouraged. It is a positive move. It is a good thing, but it's still not over. It's not solved," Dave Markham said.

In 2014, private investigator J. Ryan Green was given an anonymous donation to start working the case. Green told WLWT the person he believes is responsible is the same as the county's person of interest.

"It's not going to stop," Green said. "The sheriff's office is not going to stop. The police department isn't going to stop. I'm not going to stop, and the public wants answers."

Carter wasn't available for comment. His mother, Karyn Winkler, spoke to WLWT on her son's behalf.

"He always has cooperated whenever he's been asked anything about the Katelyn case, because he wants it solved as much as everyone else does," Winkler said. "He misses her every day."

The Sheriff's Office said it still needs help from people in the community. It needs more information before they can pursue charges.

"There may be that one person out there that seen something or heard something, and that's what we ask for," Whitlock said.

The reward stands at $100,000.

Anyone with information in either case is asked to contact Detective Joe Nerlinger at 513-759-7344."