Author Topic: Katelyn Markham from Fairfield Ohio - Found Deceased  (Read 20232 times)

soccermom

Katelyn Markham from Fairfield Ohio - Found Deceased
« on: August 29, 2011, 08:38:26 PM »
Hi all. I'm not sure if I'm setting this up properly, but here (I hope) is a thread for the missing 22-year old woman, Katelyn Markham, from Fairfield Ohio. She has not been seen since August 13; it seems she has disappeared from her home, with car keys and purse left behind. Her cell phone is missing.

http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/oxford-news/missing-womans-supporters-will-search-again-no-new-tips-in-case-1239834.html

Her disappearance has gained some high-profile attention (aired on Nancy Grace, for example) but it seems police have few leads. Let's hope there will be some good news in this case, and that Katelyn will  be found soon and in good health.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Katelyn Markham from Fairfield Ohio - Found Deceased
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:31:43 AM »
August 30, 2011
Posted: 9:00 AM
Last Updated: 1 hour and 34 minutes ago
By: Syed Shabbir, WCPO.com

FAIRFIELD, Ohio - The search for a missing Fairfield woman is getting help from a nationally known search agency.  Texas Equusearch , an organization known for its work in the search for Caylee Anthony and Natalie Halloway, will assist the local community in locating 22-year-old Katelyn Markham.

Tuesday morning, the agency's founder and director Tim Miller is expected to arrive and begin a massive, community-wide search.

"The man has resources like you have no idea," Miller's colleague David Rader said.  "Anywhere from sight scan sonar to drones.  He is well connected and if we need something he will get it here."

Rader is a volunteer with Texas Equusearch and S.T.A.R.R. or Search Tactics and Rescue/Recovery.  He never knew Markham but says that's no reason not to help.

"There's some people that volunteer for different things," Rader said.  "I would hope that if I had a family member that was missing that they would come out and help me."

That's exactly what nearly 50 volunteers did Monday evening off Buell Road near Triple Creek.

"We are going through the forest and we are checking underneath bushes and things like that looking for any kind of evidence," Monroe volunteer Dana Stuhlreyer said.  "It is a needle in a haystack, but I think with the large group, there's bound to be something that we find."

The volunteers searched until dusk and no new evidence was found.

The reward for information in Markham's disappearance is now five times larger, at $25,000.

Officials with the local Crime Stoppers organization said that family and friends of the 22-year-old have added $20,000 to the $5,000 in reward money that came earlier from an anonymous donor.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/state/texas-equusearch-joins-hunt-for-markham-1314708742703

Katelyn Markham is pictured below.

click to enlarge

soccermom

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 06:41:35 PM »
thanks for posting that, DebbieC.  It's very worrisome that there is still no news.

soccermom

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »

The search is still ongoing. My thoughts are with Katelyn's family and friends.
http://www.wlwt.com/news/29072206/detail.html

soccermom

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 04:42:44 PM »
Still no news! SOMEONE must know something. Katelyn's family is  in absolute agony. My thoughts are with them.

soccermom

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 11:03:54 AM »
Katelyn Markham  is STILL MISSING

There is still no news on missing Katelyn Markham from Fairfiled, Ohio: http://missingpersonsnews.com/?p=831http://missingpersonsnews.com/?p=831

the more time passes, the more depressing things get.

soccermom

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 06:31:36 PM »
***From http://www.fox19.com/story/15470553/benefit-scheduled-for-katelyn-markham-search***

Benefit scheduled for Katelyn Markham

A benefit has been scheduled to help raise funds to continue the search for Katelyn Markham.

Markham, 22, was last seen Aug. 13 in Fairfield.

The benefit is scheduled for Oct. 22 from 6 to 10 p.m. at FBCC at Tori's Station at 74 Donald Drive in Fairfield.

The benefit is to raise funds to aide in the search for Katelyn, as well as cover the ongoing expenses.

The cost is $25 per person and includes live music, soft drinks, dinner, beer and a cash bar. Other fundraising opportunities include a split the pot, raffles, door prizes and auction.

Seating is limited to the first 600 tickets. Those interested in purchasing tickets or donating items for auction should call 513-360-0815 or email katelynmarkhambenefit@yahoo.com.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »
I saw about Katelyn missing a while back, I immediately suspected her boyfriend. I heard a recording of his call to 911 about her missing and it sounded very pathetic. Why didn't he go right down to the police station and talk to them, but he started out very odd with the very first word, "umm", I can't remember the rest of it. But if you're reporting someone missing you don't start out with umm. If I had a family member missing, I would go right to the police department, I wouldn't call on the phone. If it was a child, yes, because every second counts, but if it is an adult and you feel something very serious has happened, then you just go right to the police and explain everything. I suspect her boyfriend. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:42:11 PM by capeheart »

Marcusdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »
I am certainly glad this was posted because I must have missed it somehow. This place is less than 2 hrs. driving time from me. Just across the state line in Ohio. It is suburban which probably means it is upscale. There have been several of these abductions around the area in recent years with the keys left in the car and a purse belonging to the victim left untouched on the front seat. If, and when the victim is found it is usually their bones left in some remote corn field. I have always thought anytime I hear of another of these abductions that possibly more than one serial killer is on the loose. What I have noticed so far in the various abductions is that it is usually suburban, away from any big city. I had thought some years ago when a guy named Overstreet was sentenced to death in this same kind of abduction that they might stop. But they didn't and it is the same MO over and over again. Keys in ignition, purse on front seat untouched. It can't be long haul truck drivers as was once suggested because they tend to kill along interstate roads and not off the beaten path. This is close to Cincinnati, Oxford and Hamilton Ohio, all very nice areas. Oxford (Miami University)hosts a great university. Will start looking at boyfriend and see what makes him tick.

soccermom

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 09:17:51 AM »
thank you Capeheart and Marcusdog for joining. It has seemed a very quiet space here for Katelyn.
Capeheart, I understand your suspicions (and there has been considerable public speculation about the b/f) but i would just like to say that people cope differently in different situations. "Inappropriate" affect or behaviour isn't always a sign of guilt; it can be the product of cumulative experiences of trauma or intense anxiety. The b/f might have been quite worried but feeling conflicted since Katelyn is a grown, independent woman and he might have somehow displaced his worry for her safety into concern for appearing an overbearing partner. Hence the call, but with some hesitation. That's one possible explanation, tho' probably not a correct one. I don't know if he is or isn't responsible, but I'm not sure I agree that we would all make exactly the same 911 (or other) call, since we all have different experiences of accident, response, the law, concepts of intervention, etc.

Marcusdog: you say there have been many "abductions" in the area. Can you give any more info, even if informally?

thanks again to you both.

Marcusdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 01:23:43 PM »
I guess I should have made myself clearer on this. In the tri state area there have been many of these same types of abductions. Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky. The one in Arlington Indiana matches completely and was a block off highway 52 near Rushville. Her car was still running and she was recovered 4 years later and two counties away in a corn field. It is someone who travels along these state highways rather than by interstate. The perp knows how to get to his destination via state highway faster using low volume roads. He could even have relatives along these paths, who knows?  It is a hop skip and jump from where this girl disappeared. I have to think it is someone who knows these state highways and these small towns. As you know it is nothing for folks to migrate from one state to another and to have relatives living in these small towns. This has really got me to thinking. The BF is young and to be hit with something like this could shock him and therefore make him act out of character. Overstreet(on death row) operated mainly out of shopping centers of  such as Walmart and discount food chains. Fortunately he has been stopped and there have been no more abductions from shopping centers but he always left the victims keys in the ignition and her purse on the front seat. I guess it is the thrill of abduction and killing rather than robbery.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »
Hi all. I'm not sure if I'm setting this up properly, but here (I hope) is a thread for the missing 22-year old woman, Katelyn Markham, from Fairfield Ohio. She has not been seen since August 13; it seems she has disappeared from her home, with car keys and purse left behind. Her cell phone is missing.

http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/oxford-news/missing-womans-supporters-will-search-again-no-new-tips-in-case-1239834.html

Her disappearance has gained some high-profile attention (aired on Nancy Grace, for example) but it seems police have few leads. Let's hope there will be some good news in this case, and that Katelyn will  be found soon and in good health.
What does bother me about this is that her boyfriend was the last person with her. He left her at night time, as far as I remember. The only way she could have gone would be someone living in her apartment buiding and she answered the door. Calling to report a person missing is certainly not sufficient, in my eyes. I would be physically in the police station and get the police right on the case. Calling is kind of dumb in my eyes. I'd be very worked up about it if it was me.  If he was out with her that evening, she would not have had her keys and phone possibly. I feel doubtful about his story.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 06:09:17 PM »
http://www.fox19.com/story/15295662/police-release-911-call-reporting-katelyn-markhams-disappearance

Police release 911 call reporting Katelyn Markham's disappearance (click on the link for the video)
 Posted: Aug 19, 2011 4:44 AM MDT Updated: Aug 19, 2011 11:29 AM MDT

By Cory Stark - bio | email

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D8ncnuofo8
Boyfriend at search area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx368UG6408&feature=relmfu
Boyfriend under suspicion by townsfolk

http://www.wlwt.com/video/29012557/detail.html
Katelyn's Father on the Today Show

http://www.wlwt.com/news/29119482/detail.html
Police Chief - No suspects, no one ruled out.

(I think that she tried to break off with him, and he didn't like it) I think she felt like she was being stiffled in her relationship with her boyfriend JMO)

JB

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 06:28:27 PM by jellybean »

soccermom

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 10:55:25 AM »

A blogger has posted her or his own analysis of the 911 call
http://seamusoriley.blogspot.com/2011/10/katelyn-markham-looking-back-at-911.html;  I'm not sure what "authority" this person has for assessment, but I don't agree with almost any of the conclusions. Katelyn's b/f may be responsible for her disappearance; I don't know. But I could see myself making some of the very same responses in a 911 call when under distress and feeling like I need to do something while unsure if I'm reacting too strongly or too quickly.  The police are not ruling anything out and I'm very sure they are scrutinizing him closely. I will feel heartsick for her broken trust if he's guilty, and heartsick for him for the double pain of missing her and being suspect if he's not.

Let's hope LE can find the truth and give this family at least some closure; it looksm very sadly,  like they have very little so far:
http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_north_cincinnati/fairfield/police-say-missing-woman-case-not-cold

Posted: 10/12/2011

By: Deb Silverman
FAIRFIELD, Ohio - Oct. 13 will mark two months since a Fairfield woman went missing. Despite the time that's passed, police say the Katelyn Markham case has not gone cold.

Tips are still coming in according to Fairfield Police Chief Michael Dickey.

He says it's just a matter of getting the right bit of information to bring all the details already collected together.

Two months after Markham disappeared, missing posters with Markham's photo, remain in the windows of hundreds of businesses.

The flyer is not coming down from the window of Dixie Chicks Barber Shop on Pleasant Avenue in Fairfield until Markham is found.

Darlene Bowling, who works at the shop, says she hopes the attention the flyer brings to Markham's disappearance will eventually bring closure to the case. She says it gets people talking.

"Everyday people talk about her. Everyday people think about what could have happened to her," said Bowling as she trimmed a customer's hair.

Hundreds of people have spent hundreds of hours searching for Markham or clues into what happened to her. Police say her fiance, John Carter, was the last one to report seeing her. He says she was fine when he left her townhouse on Dorshire Drive Aug. 13.

Dickey says after two months of investigating there is still no evidence that indicates if Markham's disappearance involves foul play or if she left on her own.

He says detectives are reviewing information everyday. He says they are working to determine if there's someone else to interview, new questions to ask, or a different angle to take.

"We have really not developed any concrete evidence that will point us in one direction or another," said Dickey.

"Sooner or later I do believe we will come up with the necessary information to figure out what happened to her," he said.

If you have any information that could help police call Crime Stoppers. That number is (513) 352-3040.

Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read more: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_north_cincinnati/fairfield/police-say-missing-woman-case-not-cold#ixzz1ayaizAA9