Author Topic: Dana TURNER - 31 - Murdered - Aug 14, 2011 - Edmonton, AB  (Read 101308 times)

SAP

Re: Dana TURNER - 31 - Murdered - Aug 14, 2011 - Edmonton, AB
« Reply #255 on: November 04, 2014, 01:52:36 PM »
ML did confess to the undercover officer however also in a Kamloops courtroom, so even if his testimony to the sting officer is stricken, the testimony from the courtroom should not be excluded ... ?? I have no idea. The judges pull all kinds of punches.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/15/son-of-former-edmonton-top-cop-admits-to-murder

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 04, 2014, 04:10:13 PM »
This may be something that lawyers refer to as fruit from the poison vine. Once a source is forbidden, anything that stems from that is also. It may not wash but who knows? If the original confession to the Mr. Big sting operator had not happened, would the perp have so easily confessed afterwards? Could chew up a bunch moref time if nothing else.

SAP

« Reply #257 on: November 04, 2014, 10:15:05 PM »
I see what you mean D1. It looks like a lose-lose situation then. Society have no rights but this time bomb has so many rights observed. Something has got to change and there is something rotten with the picture. If he doesn't get a very long time at least in a psych facility the lawyers have already spoken how little worth the lives of the rest of society are worth. Damn maddening already.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 05, 2014, 10:45:29 AM »
At times it becomes quite disheartening to see how our justice system works. We are witnessing quite a few of these mental disorder type murder trials as of late. One of the worst, Tim McLean's murder  is an eye opener. Publicly beheaded on a greyhound bus, his killer now walks about in general public unsupervised. Magnota wants the same, likewise here I suspect. I feel badly for all the families, there will be no justice for many.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/vince-li-granted-unsupervised-outings-1.2554175

Mental treatment facilities have been closed right across the country. Medication has replaced treatment now as well as incarceration . There seems to have been very little follow up on mental patients from the time facilities were closed with the onus placed on the patient to ensure they take their meds. I sure hope that is not the process for those convicted and released under the ncr rulings. Perhaps our new anti terrorism laws should include this group of killers on the csis watch list?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:49:20 AM by D1 »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 08, 2015, 08:54:33 AM »
This is old news, but thought I would post it here to reference since the trial date has been postponed way into the future. Odd, really. (Almost feels like they are trying to wear down the family, which is their biggest obstacle, in light of trying to get the guy his best chance at a sentence. Do they really postpone trials for five years? Really? It just feels like a sad ploy).

Source: http://www.1067thedrive.fm/tag/dana-turner/

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2016, 08:19:37 PM »

(CHUB)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 16, 2016, 08:26:37 PM »
Thanks D1, for the update.

Further info.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/mark-lindsay-on-trial-for-killing-fort-saskatchewan-mother-of-3-1.3450223

Mark Lindsay on trial for killing Fort Saskatchewan mother of 3
Court learns how son of former Edmonton police chief killed ex-girlfriend
By Janice Johnston, CBC News Posted: Feb 16, 2016 11:16 AM MT Last Updated: Feb 16, 2016 11:49 AM MT

New details emerged in a Red Deer courtroom Tuesday about how Mark Lindsay killed his ex-girlfriend more than five years ago.

Lindsay and Dana Turner had an on-again, off-again romantic relationship, and both suffered from schizophrenia and were addicted to crack cocaine.

In August 2011, the couple spent several days together at a west-Edmonton motel.

According to an agreed statement of facts submitted in court Tuesday, the two were taking drugs in a parked car on August 15, 2011, when Lindsay pulled a pencil from his pocket and stabbed Turner in the eye.

He then tightened a shoelace around Turner's neck, before driving  to a construction site, where he twice drove over her body.

Showed no expression

Lindsay showed no expression in the prisoner's box as the details were read out.

He has already admitted to killing Turner.

The trial that began Tuesday is being held to determine if he should be found guilty or not criminally responsible.

Lindsay, the son of former Edmonton police chief John Lindsay, has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder, interfering with a body and obstruction of justice.

While one side of the courtroom was packed with Turner's family and friends, there was no sign of Lindsay's family, including his father.

The 29-year-old's appearance has changed remarkably in the past few years. He appears to have aged and put on weight. He also has a different hairstyle and now wears glasses.

In the prisoner's box, he shows a marked tic and constantly holds the back of his neck with his hand.

Details of Turner's murder first emerged in a Kamloops, B.C., courtroom three years ago.

At the time, Lindsay was on trial for two counts of aggravated assault. He was accused of attacking a cellmate and an undercover RCMP officer.

Ultimately, Lindsay was found not criminally responsible on both charges due to his mental disorder.

'Exceptionally dangerous person'

The sentencing judge called Lindsay "a very exceptionally dangerous person."

Lindsay told a B.C. psychiatrist he was convinced he was being hunted by a group of serial killers, and that Turner was part of that group.

He met her in Alberta Hospital in the spring of 2011 when both were patients at the psychiatric facility just outside Edmonton.

Dana Turner
Dana Turner was last seen August 2011 in Fort Saskatchewan. (Supplied)

According to the  BC psychiatric assessment, Lindsay felt an initial attraction, then became sure Turner wanted to kill him.

He was convinced Turner "was a witch and he became quite frightened of her," the assessment stated. "Mr. Lindsay reports that he then realized that he would have to kill her before she killed him."

A month later, in June 2011, the couple got together after being released from the hospital.

Lindsay stabbed Turner in the neck with a paring knife while they were on the couch kissing.

He pleaded guilty to assault and was given a 50-day sentence.

Mother outraged with courts

Turner's mother, Wendy Yurko, is still outraged by the way the justice system handled the case.

"Mark Lindsay tried to kill Dana on June 22," Yurko said. "Our system is so broken that they let him out in 50 days, 10 blocks from my home, so that he could kill her.

"There is absolutely nothing they can do to fix what they did."

Turner was last seen on August 14, 2011, the day after Lindsay was released from jail. Her remains were found two months later, just south of Red Deer near Innisfail.

The B.C. psychiatric assessment said Lindsay admitted that, "he indeed attacked and killed the lady by stabbing her with a pencil." 

He confessed hid her body next to a rural road.

He repeated those same claims when he testified in his own defence during his aggravated assault trials in Kamloops.

The Alberta Crown prosecutor successfully applied to get an audio tape of his testimony.

It's anticipated the tape will be played during Lindsay's trial in Red Deer.

Turner's mother admits she doesn't expect to get any satisfaction from the trial, even though she plans to "be there every single second."

She's worried Lindsay will be found not criminally responsible for Turner's murder, which could lead one day to Lindsay's release.

"There is no justice for us," Yurko said. "Our lives are not going to change at all. Our lives are pure, unadulterated hell and my daughter is dead.

"The only thing this court system can possibly accomplish is keeping Mark Lindsay away from other innocent people so that we don't lose more lives."

The trial is expected run for two weeks

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 13, 2016, 04:53:02 PM »
http://www.reddeerexpress.com/news/Lindsay_trial_wraps_up_371525711.html?mobile=trueThe trial of a man to determine whether or not he is criminally responsible for the murder of his girlfriend in 2011 has concluded.A judge will now review the case to make that determination. The verdict will be read on May 13th.
Lindsay has admitted to substance abuse, Lindsay would not continue to show any signs of psychosis if it was substance induced like the crown has alleged during the trial.

efawcett@reddeerexpress.com

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:57:37 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2016, 01:41:33 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/son-of-former-edmonton-police-chief-found-guilty-of-murder-in-death-of-dana-turner-1.3581946

Son of former Edmonton police chief found guilty of murder in death of Dana Turner
Defence lawyer argued Lindsay was not criminally responsible due to a mental disorder
By Janice Johnston, CBC News Posted: May 13, 2016 2:44 PM MT Last Updated: May 13, 2016 8:15 PM MT

Wendy Yurko still can't bring herself to refer to her dead daughter in the past tense.

Dana Turner was killed by Mark Lindsay in August 2011.

On Friday, a Court of Queen's Bench justice found Lindsay guilty of second-degree murder.

"Before I came here today, that was our prayer," Yurko said outside the courthouse in Red Deer. "That he would be found responsible. I thought, 'Oh thank goodness.' This judge actually has a heart and a brain. So there's that relief."

Lindsay admitted to RCMP in a videotaped interview that he killed Turner, his on-again, off-again girlfriend.  After smoking crack cocaine in a rental car, he stabbed the 31-year-old in both eyes with a pencil, hoping it would go through to her brain. Then he confessed he strangled Turner with a shoelace and finally ran over her head with the rental car. 

Lindsay also told Mounties he feared Turner. He said he thought she was a witch, part of a group he called the Healers who were determined to kill him. 

Justice Eldon Simpson called that explanation an "excuse" and a "creation".  In his 47-page decision, Simpson wrote: "As for his 'Healers' conspiracy narrative in relation to Dana Turner, I find this is a fabrication built off his pre-existing paranoid and delusional experience resulting from substance abuse."

Lindsay's lawyer, Kent Teskey, argued during the trial Lindsay should be declared not criminally responsible because of a mental disorder.

Two psychiatrists and a psychologist testified during the trial. Simpson found flaws with testimony from all three mental health professionals. He found one lacked scientific objectivity, while the other two relied on evidence that was not before the court. 

In the end, Simpson concluded Lindsay "did not suffer from a disease of the mind. He knew his actions were morally wrong." The judge ruled the killer did not meet either legal test to be declared not criminally responsible for the murder. 

Simpson also concluded Lindsay "may have killed Dana Turner as a consequence of his drug and alcohol use, but if so, that is not a basis for a not criminally responsible defence."

The judge said the real reason Lindsay killed Turner was because he was angry with her for getting him sent to jail after he attacked her with a knife in June 2011.  Lindsay pleaded guilty to assault and was released from jail Aug.12, 2011. He killed Turner just three days later.

Yurko may be pleased with the verdict, but she's still bitter about the way the first attack on her daughter was handled by the courts. 

"If they had locked Mark Lindsay up on June 22nd when he stabbed my daughter in the head with a knife, if they had locked him up then instead of releasing him on August 12th, my daughter would be joining me for dinner today," she said. "That is disgusting."

The second-degree murder conviction carries an automatic life sentence, with a range of 10 to 25 years before he can apply for parole.

Lindsay will likely be sentenced in July. Wendy Yurko plans to return to Red Deer courthouse for the sentencing.  She wrote her victim impact statement about a year after her daughter was murdered.

"There aren't that many people who know what it's like to have a child almost murdered and then murdered in 50 days," she said. 

janice.johnston@cbc.ca

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 14, 2016, 09:31:41 AM »
Mark Lindsay was to be sentenced on July 22. Does anyone know what he was sentenced to and if any of his time during trials will go towards the sentencing?

Look at the sanpaku eyes.

http://www.1067thedrive.fm/news/convicted-murderer-mark-lindsay-sentenced-july/

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 14, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »
Haven't found anything regarding his sentence at all. Odd.

Both parents testified for the Defense at the February part of the trial. This has been a difficult road for ML's family too.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/mark-lindsay-s-parents-testify-to-their-son-s-troubled-mental-state-1.3454371Lindsay was adopted when he was two weeks old. His mother, Louise, testified she and her husband were told the baby's biological mother drank and smoked during her pregnancy.

Mark Lindsay was later diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and fetal alcohol spectrum disorder.

He was the youngest of four children. The first sign of real trouble came around his 11th birthday, when he began snorting Ritalin supplied by a sibling.

He began to abuse alcohol and smoke marijuana and got kicked out of Grade 10 for poor grades and pot possession.  His relationship with his parents was not good.

"He always had the sense we were not on his side," Louise Lindsay testified. "That we were against him."

Just before his 18th birthday, Louise Lindsay said her son "just left and didn't come home." He wanted to live on his own.

Mark Lindsay began to show signs of paranoia, the court heard.

"He told his dad and me that there was a plot to kill him and that the police were aware of this plot," his mother testified.

The former police chief said he tried to do everything he could to convince his son there was nothing to fear.

"I think I made the mistake of trying to rationalize what was irrational," John Lindsay told court. "I felt rather powerless, quite frankly."

Their son began hearing voices in his head. By the time he was 21, he slept on his apartment floor in case his attackers got inside and he had to defend himself, or make a quick escape.

Louise Lindsay fought back tears on the witness stand as she recounted a phone call from her son around that time.  He called to tell her he didn't need groceries anymore, or anything else. She said she found out later he had a suicide plan. Her son was hospitalized for a few weeks until his condition stabilized.

Over the next few years, Mark Lindsay was in and out of hospital.

The young man began to cry in the prisoner's box when his mother recalled a conversation they had months before he killed Turner.

"He said the plot to kill me is coming soon," Louise testified.

She quoted her son's words: "I know I'm going to be killed and I'm prepared for it, and I know this is going to happen."

His mental breakdown led to a stay at Alberta Hospital. That's where he met Turner.

Despite his ties to law enforcement, John Lindsay said he had no idea his son had been convicted of assaulting Turner after the pair got out of Alberta Hospital.

The former chief said he found out about the conviction when his son called him from the Remand Centre near the start of his 50-day sentence.

Mark Lindsay murdered Turner just three days after he finished serving his sentence.

Hours after the killing, Lindsay visited his parents, who had no idea their son had just stabbed and strangled his girlfriend.

John Lindsay testified his son seemed tense and agitated that day.

A few days later, Mark Lindsay asked his mother to meet for a talk.

"He was very upset," Louise Lindsay testified. "He felt very hopeless about his life. About how he was going to be able to function in the world."

She said she told him it made her sad to see him so distressed.

She said she surprised by his response.

"Gee, mom," he told her.

"I wish I could believe you actually thought that."

janice.johnston@cbc.ca
@cbcjanjohnston

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 16, 2016, 09:20:02 AM »
Found guilty of Second Degree Murder and obstruction in May 2016, Mark Lindsay's sentence is automatic life, but on July 22 the Crown and Defence were to argue how long Lindsay will spend behind bars before he is eligible to apply for parole. But, I still can't find the outcome.

Does anyone know?

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2016, 01:29:04 PM »
Thanks Concerned.  I was wondering about Mark Lindsay. I wonder if the parole business is still waiting due to the lack of judges, and their time is spread out so thinly in Alberta?

I hope it is at least 20 years before parole is even considered, and even then, I hope it is refused.  He is too dangerous to be on the streets period. He will never change.
He has been a problem child, a problem adolescent, and a dangerous adult.
No reflection on his adoptive parents either.  I am sure they tried everything possible to help him.

jb
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:32:53 PM by jellybean »