Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Michael Wayne Dunahee - Abducted - Victoria BC 1991  (Read 59818 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Wayne Dunahee - Abducted - Victoria BC 1991
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 03:52:55 PM »
Canada, specifically the OPP and RCMP are coming up with some world class geo profileing software and training. I saw a show on it. I think the police technology and abilities are way way beyond what they were in 1991, I just hope some of that can be used to reach back and solve it.

Depending on the motive, the child could be alive still. Otherwise, if it were a pedoohile, he probably lives close by and the child is not alive.

I Google Earthed the site of the disappearance by searching for 971 Kings Rd Victoria BC, the community centre across the street. It's hard to tell where the playground was but Websleuths says it was directly in front of the school.
Since the Outsider theory didn't originate with me, I think I can say that Dennis Melvin Howe was from Saskatchewan....I found that information on this site....

Countries like Canada continually promote the concept of national unity and emphasize our common heritage and downplay regional differences. Where does that leave the Outsider theory? Outside?
Someday I hope Canadian authorities advancing geographic profiling will incorporate the nuances of geo-social reality into the science....

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 03:56:11 PM »
To make it look like an Edmonton serial killer was responsible.

GOod point, I agree that is probably what he did. White did do that too.

Living in Calgary, found the same thing. Everyone was from Saskatchewan, ONtario, Maritimes very very few were from Calgary. Calgary had 250,000 people 40 years ago, now has 1.1 million.

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 11:10:41 AM »
Insider/Outsider is not a black and white thing. Sometimes it's greys. Not everyone comes at the same time or feels the same level of acceptance or alienation. There are different degrees and that's where the judgement call comes in  and you have to decide who's more of an outsider if that's what you're looking for.
Depending on the motive, the child could be alive still. Otherwise.... he probably lives close by and the child is not alive.
What you might call killer versus keeper?

CraftyGal

• Remember adopt-Don't Shop!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 01:31:34 AM »
An outsider could be someone that doesn't feel as if they are a part of something.  Look at high school and why there have been so many shootings in the schools and colleges/universities.  So it could be someone that perceives that they are an outsider to others.  I don't necessarily agree that it is someone that isn't familiar with the back roads around Edmonton, especially around Sherwood Park.

Crafty (edited for clarity)

Insider/Outsider is not a black and white thing. Sometimes it's greys. Not everyone comes at the same time or feels the same level of acceptance or alienation. There are different degrees and that's where the judgement call comes in  and you have to decide who's more of an outsider if that's what you're looking for.
Depending on the motive, the child could be alive still. Otherwise.... he probably lives close by and the child is not alive.
What you might call killer versus keeper?[/size]

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:40:15 PM by CraftyGal »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 03:22:41 PM »
An outsider could be someone that doesn't feel as if they are a part of something.  Look at high school and why there have been so many shootings in the schools and colleges/universities.  So it could be someone that perceives that they are an outsider to others.  I don't necessarily agree that it is someone that isn't familiar with the back roads around Edmonton, especially around Sherwood Park.

Crafty

Good point Crafty, I guess a person who feels alienated could feel like an outsider. I think a lot of serial killers probably felt that way, and that contributes to there madness?

You don't need to be familiar with the backroads to dump someone that is true. But I would guess they live out that way, SE or E of Edmonton, that is what I think.

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 07:56:44 PM »
Michael Wayne Dunahee was just four years old when he went missing from a Victoria playground at Blanshard Park Elementary School. It was March 24, 1991. His mother was playing ball in a nearby field while his father watched from the sidelines. Nobody saw what happened, but around 12:40 p.m., Michael had disappeared.
People DID see what happened. Police had two witnesses, children who were playing with Michael and knew him, including a 10 yeard old girl. They said they were playing hide-and-seek. The girl said she saw Michael go into a brown van. Other people saw a older model brown van parked in an alley by the school, the same brown van that did not show up for the re-enactment. (Kitchener Waterloo Record, Mar. 27, 1991, accessed through Toronto Star Archives)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 09:09:18 PM »
That is the first time I heard of the brown van. Very interesting. Maybe the police don't feel very good about that Van and that is why they leave it out.

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 09:49:56 PM »
Times Colonist report online quotes the Dunahee Investigation Team in 2006 saying the brown van tip was discredited in 1991 yet I found a Jim Bawden article in the TorStar archives still saying on March 21, 1992, that he was taken "reportedly by someone driving a brown van".

Is this the proverbial "white van", ala the Beltway Snipers? Or is it the other way around? Witness getting it right for a change....
The car would have been parked. Easier to identify or remember.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 09:53:41 PM by Bucke Bleichert »

CraftyGal

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 12:43:39 PM »
This is the first I heard of a brown van and I lived in BC at the time of the abductions.  This would have been all over the news and in the Crime Stoppers Reenactment, that happened that week of the abduction.  As I had two small children, around the same age as Michael, I was very much aware of what was happening especially that abduction.

Crafty

Times Colonist report online quotes the Dunahee Investigation Team in 2006 saying the brown van tip was discredited in 1991 yet I found a Jim Bawden article in the TorStar archives still saying on March 21, 1992, that he was taken "reportedly by someone driving a brown van".

Is this the proverbial "white van", ala the Beltway Snipers? Or is it the other way around? Witness getting it right for a change....
The car would have been parked. Easier to identify or remember.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 06:25:43 PM »
Crafty, do you know what the immediate theory was in the day or 2 after this happened? FOr some reason, I never heard of this case back then, only recently. Thanks.

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 07:51:05 PM »
This is the first I heard of a brown van and I lived in BC at the time of the abductions.  This would have been all over the news and in the Crime Stoppers Reenactment, that happened that week of the abduction. 
Neither did I ever hear of the blond in high heels with a notebook on Nicole Morin's floor just before her disappearance....
I can't say why the police dismiss the brown van theory but it's obvious, from the archived reports, the police didn't believe their 10 year old witness right off the bat....What didn't add up? That's what I want to know....

The brown van shows up on only a couple of Googled sites but it's there. Victoria police had "3500 tips in 15 years" on the brown van, so somebody must have heard of it....

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 01:08:29 AM »
At the time I do not think the police were trained well in these kinds of cases, so they probably had to reply on what is common, and were not prepared for the unthinkable. Kind of like what is going on in Trois Riverers in Quebec.

If they were trained, they would have visited each and every home within 2 kms of that spot. There is a good chance some pedophile who lives close by did it too.

CraftyGal

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 01:14:41 PM »
Crafty, do you know what the immediate theory was in the day or 2 after this happened? FOr some reason, I never heard of this case back then, only recently. Thanks.

The immediate theory was the parents had something to do with Michael's disappearance.  I remember thinking that the police were crazy.  What parent could ever hurt there child?  I was sooooooo naive back then.  My daughter is Michael's age and I remember freaking when a guy persuaded her to go look at puppies.  I had been laying down as I had one of those migraines the ones that make you so sick you can't think or see straight?  That was when Imetrex was in the testing phase and not yet on the market, so I was on heavy narcotics to deal with the pain.  A neighbor happened to notice her with this stranger and said to guy to get lost after ascertaining that my daughter didn't know the guy.  She came over and said, go to bed, I will deal with the kids.  So I did and was very thankful and grateful that people in the complex looked out for one another.

I say we need more people to step in ehen the see something seems not right, to follow their instincts.

Crafty

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 08:09:26 PM »
Yeah it would be better if people followed there instincts\intuition more. Animals do, but humans don't.

So have the parents pretty much been ruled out on this then? I wonder if it was someone who knew the family? And I wonder what the porpose of taling him is?

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2007, 12:39:17 PM »
This case is beginning to have all the earmarks of the Adam Walsh case. The police in Florida strongly suspected a live-in friend of the family who had been sent packing....Eventhough it happened in a public place with one of the parents there....He could easily have been spotted and recognized....
The authorities still refuse to close the case and admit it was Toole, eventhough 4 witnesses put him there inside the mall and outside with Adam....plus forensic evidence on the bayonet....The police lost the car with the bloody carpet....

I remember always thinking Michael was playing by himself near the edge of the forest and someone came out of the woods and snatched him because it sounded like no one saw anything. Now I know differently from searching the net and reading the old newpaper articles....

Newpapers I've learned are an invaluable resource for information on the case when books on the case are unavailable. A lot of information can be found by just reading the free sample of each article in the Archives.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 12:59:14 PM by Bucke Bleichert »