Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Michael Wayne Dunahee - Abducted - Victoria BC 1991  (Read 59821 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Michael Wayne Dunahee - Abducted - Victoria BC 1991
« on: April 04, 2007, 12:16:54 AM »
Michael Wayne Dunahee was just four years old when he went missing from a Victoria playground at Blanshard Park Elementary School. It was March 24, 1991. His mother was playing ball in a nearby field while his father watched from the sidelines. Nobody saw what happened, but around 12:40 p.m., Michael had disappeared.

http://www.crimestoppers.net/details.php3?crimeID=394
http://www.missingchildren.ca/Files/MichaelDunahee.pdf

Michael Dunahee, Victoria (1991)
http://archives.cbc.ca/society/crime_justice/clips/17224/
A four-year-old boy vanishes from a playground with his parents nearby.
Program: The Journal
Broadcast Date: May 22, 1991
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:06:11 AM by Chris »

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
Re: Michael Wayne Dunahee - Abducted - Victoria BC 1991
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 05:14:32 PM »
Here is where Outsider Theory would come into play. No similar abductions before in Victoria, according to one site, and then suddenly Michael Dunahee disappears....For any new phenomenon, you look for a new factor which influences or creates the criminal and the crime....
Give you another example: Austria had no history of violence against prostitutes. Then suddenly 4 or 5 of them get strangled. The killer was the son of a prostitute and an American soldier--Jack Unterwegger.

As for the Satanist angle, I don't think that would be anything new for Victoria. Although I'd look to see if there was anything new there too....

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 09:22:01 PM »
I was wondering about this case, was it a case of wrong time wrong place? In 1992 in Edmonton, some guy picked up some little girl off the street and raped and killed her. Only time he did it. 10 years later he was busted. Did was not from Edmonton, he was just really screwed up that day he said.

Could be what happened here. I think this case will be solved one day.

CraftyGal

• Remember adopt-Don't Shop!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 01:36:51 AM »
Don't forget Tanya Murell,  kidnapped off the streets on her way home from school in the early 80's.

Crafty

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 10:46:21 AM »
That is the one in Edmonotn too right? I can't imagine how evil a person must be to do that to a kid and then leave the parents wondering for the rest of there life.

CraftyGal

• Remember adopt-Don't Shop!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 05:15:36 PM »
Yes it was in 83, if I remember correctly.  I have a sister who was attending elementary school at the time and walking the same distance.  That is why I remember because we all had to take turns making sure she got home from school.  I wasn't even living at home at the time.  I would bus from school, pick her up, feed her lunch, walk her back to school, then I would head back to school myself.  As my dad was back in time to
pick her up at the end of the day.  I had to arrange with the high school to change around my classes so we could do this.  Oh and yes it was in Edmonton.

Crafty

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 05:53:21 PM »
That must have been scary. We left the Edmonotn area in Dec 82 or Jan 83 so I do not remember it at all. Although we had our fair share of those happen in Houston.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 08:17:58 PM »
I'd assume a good many of these kids feel victim to pedophiles too.

Has there ever been a cult murder in Canada involving kids even solved? That is an interesting idea, I remember hitchiking back in 92 and the driver told me I should not hitchike at Brooks Ab (between Calgary and Med Hat) because there were some devil worshippers.

I asked a person I knew one day about that who was from there, and she said all she heard was some stoners killing cows.

So do they exsist or is it myth? To this day, I have never read of anything happening in Brooks except there was a girl murdered who worked at Wal-mart last year (solved).

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 12:34:01 PM »
In 1992 in Edmonton, some guy picked up some little girl off the street and raped and killed her. Only time he did it. 10 years later he was busted. Did was not from Edmonton, he was just really screwed up that day he said.
It was the same thing in Toronto in 2004 with Holly Jones. With over 100 convicted pedophiles living within 6 blocks, it was a first-timer from Montreal who did it....
The crime was high risk, in broad daylight. He was a neighbour who had to know he'd become a suspect. Even then, the police may not have locked in on him if he didn't let a cop in his house who saw the new carpet. They still had to go the hard way to get his DNA. This kind of CSI is not useful in the Dunahee case right now but I see no reason it can't be solved without it.
High risk crimes often involve groups of 2 or more but the cult theory doesn't impress me right now. I don't see why a cult would need to abduct someone like that and risk full exposure when they can always find runaways or breed their own human sacrifices....Not to say a new raw recruit wouldn't go off on his own tangent or that the culprit wasn't involved in Satanic practices on his own....

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 04:34:22 PM »
From Kindheart
Hello Bucke, Your posting name i recognized from the Blk Dahlia right? Bucky, but spelled with an e. That Dahlia case also involved some breast removal and genital mutilations, just like the Edmonton cases! No wonder you found this little board. I also recognize you from the JtR site, as i read there frequently.Welcome, welcome!

Some comments for you on the Jones case.
It was 200 peds, in one mile radius from Holly's house.
He, that is Michael Briere was not a close neighbour, but was on the route Holly took everyday.He also lived in a corner house, right next to an internet-ice cream cafe (nice combo for freaks and kids).That corner has underage girls, who are being forced to pimp ALL the time. Michael would have literally been about 25 feet from these girls ALL the time, while browsing the net on his computer.The pimps there keep track of the girls from above, in a highrise apartment, that also looks over a local playground. The playground is the recruit zone. The cops did see the green bathmat from the front door, and because they had found green fibers on little Holly's body, they used their brains and focused. They also standing at the door noticed the brand new mop and bucket. Michael refused to let them have DNA as well. They staked out the Uhaul lot across the street and waited untill he discarded a popcan to obtain DNA.

Also if the use of forensics is not now useful to the Dunahee case as you stated, and it could be solved right now, what do you suggest? Admittedly i am short on details of Michaels case.

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 07:29:32 PM »
I like to go with an A, B or C scenario, most likely to less likely. Your Edmonton case and my Toronto one proves that there is a pattern. I'd go with the Briere-type scenario first. And A, B or C, I'd stick with the Outsider idea.
That idea also came from a movie, actually a TV guide interview with a producer, Peter Sussman about his film on Adolf Hitler. Sussman attributed some of his behavior to overcompensation for not being really German.

Bucke comes from Bucky of the DePalma film. Funny enough, I was just checking who the director was and the other detective's name was Blanchard, just like Blanchard Park.... ???

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 09:25:03 PM »
From Kindheart
I like to go with an A, B or C scenario, most likely to less likely. Your Edmonton case and my Toronto one proves that there is a pattern. I'd go with the Briere-type scenario first. And A, B or C, I'd stick with the Outsider idea.

I believe i see what what you are saying Bucke,
The Edmonton cases~ the first timer from the outside, moving into Edmonton from Montreal? How would Svekla fit into this scenario? Like cracked out, local disposal guy met in the hood, by the outsider?

Is this an A,B,C scenario to you?

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 12:42:59 PM »
Outsiders who are first time killers may make up a percentage of the cases of murder but not all.
Not simple murders which could be anyone and often someone close to you but any sensational crime whether it be murder, terror, or kidnapping, whatever....If it's out of the ordinary, outsiders predominate....
But you've explained why it might be possible for the outsider to have the edge better than I could, Desespere....
Obviously, if Michael was abducted without the intention of murdering him, and I don't rule that out, being taken to a remote location is likely....or, just to cover all possibilities, a large property somewhere....

Svekla isn't is the news over here in the GTA like he should be. I never heard of the possibility he had help in his crimes until I read about it here. If he's a local boy and he's a major player in the disappearances, I say yes, he had accomplices. That would be my B scenario moved up to A.
I only have to give you the example of the Michigan Co-Ed Murderer, John Collins, who was from Windsor....There is some evidence he didn't work alone in Ann Arbor. He of course never confessed or gave any details of the crime. I think he was covering up for others....Is Svekla talking?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 02:02:32 PM by Bucke Bleichert »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 01:40:55 PM »
It does not seem Svekla is talking, we have heard nothing about that. I wonder if his killing was different from the other bodies that have been found in Edmonton? Does anyone know how they were all killed? I assume they were beaten?

If he did have an accomplice, I bet that is why they wanted those Telus records, to check them out. ALso I would like to know why he brought a body in his bag? Was it to show off to his sidekick?

Bucke Bleichert

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 02:55:46 PM »
I Google Earthed the site of the disappearance by searching for 971 Kings Rd Victoria BC, the community centre across the street. It's hard to tell where the playground was but Websleuths says it was directly in front of the school.
Since the Outsider theory didn't originate with me, I think I can say that Dennis Melvin Howe was from Saskatchewan....I found that information on this site....

Countries like Canada continually promote the concept of national unity and emphasize our common heritage and downplay regional differences. Where does that leave the Outsider theory? Outside?
Someday I hope Canadian authorities advancing geographic profiling will incorporate the nuances of geo-social reality into the science....