Author Topic: Alexandra Wiwcharuk - May 18, 1962 - Age 23 - Murdered - Saskatoon  (Read 235710 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:42:22 AM by lostlinganer »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
Re: Alexandra Wiwcharuk - May 18, 1962 - Age 23 - Murdered - Saskatoon
« Reply #721 on: March 17, 2019, 02:22:29 PM »
For anybody who is reading Alex's thread, I am posting something I finally figured out about Meades Drug Store:  the reason I could never find out any information about its exact location in reference to where the murder occurred at The Weir, is because all these years I was searching for Meads/Meades Drugstore in Saskatoon.... and could never find it.  Now that I've been on a roll this week, I finally zeroed in on its location (in 1962) ... I think.  take notice of the photo below of Meades original Drug Store in 1954 ... it is the exact same address. .. also a pic of the outside same year - 1953  So "bingo" on that!
It is a Meades Drug Mart on the corner of 7th street (although called Shoppers Drugmart).... and it even still has a post office; so I think that's the one Alex mailed her letters at back in 1962.  Therefore; I decided to trace the shortest "walk" she might have taken to The Weir.  Turns out it is a ten minute walk.  So I am showing the ad for Meades Drug Mart and also the google link I used to trace the steps and distance.  If you click on the google link, you will see the steps show up as tiny blue dots.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1476979,-106.6577679,1822m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-US

and Meades Drug Mart Ad  https://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/store-locator/store/412
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:10:19 AM by lostlinganer »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 17, 2019, 05:33:01 PM »
This is the scene of her murder:  just below 33rd and Spadina

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 18, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »
I also am wondering why there has been no posting on this thread for a long time.  I certainly am interested in the photos, Lost, thanks for finding this information. Just adding to the posts, I too am with your thoughts on this Lost, I believe it was a planned meeting. I think she planned to meet someone, went to mail the letters and did not want to tell the girls where she was going, by covering and saying she was going for a walk. Well not many people go for a walk in the area she would have walked, by themselves. It sounds kind of scary to me. I would never walk alone at night at all, no matter how safe you think you are, unless it is only a block and you can see your house from where you are. I believe it was someone she knew the person.  Also it is quite interesting related to the red car.  It was such a high profile murder at that time and it wasn't solved, when they had so many officers dealing with the case. And then it could have been a person who was working in the area and just left town and moved on. A mystery that hopefully will be solved. :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 01:42:20 PM by capeheart »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 19, 2019, 07:54:07 AM »
Maybe the police were "man handled by the political system" to the point that they quickly got tired of "going through the motions" of investigating guys they "knew" didn't do it.... because many knew who did!  Maybe they weren't lazy or inept.  ::)

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 16, 2019, 01:48:52 PM »
The DNA that time was non existent so to say. I think there could have been some people who had instincts of who may have committed this crime and did not want to come forward. They may have been afraid of naming someone that they were suspicious of.  Many times crimes would be solved if people did come forward with their concerns.  I really believe that someone did know who committed this crime, how could they cold bloodedly bury someone alive and act normal, once the news story came out.  People that remember that crime today, should rehash over in their minds and jot down information that they do remember, it still maybe helpful.