Author Topic: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John  (Read 470469 times)

BaySailor

• View Profile
Re: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John
« Reply #1815 on: April 06, 2019, 03:18:28 PM »
Thank you for sharing, BaySailor.  P.W., like his son, sounds like a man who was used to having things his own way.  It must have been awkward and uncomfortable for those who witnessed it, though.

I think it must have been awkward and uncomfortable for those at Dick's table.  For many others it was somewhat entertaining.

P.W.'s bearing was very much that of a British military officer; he served with distinction in the Canadian Army in WWII as a captain and died a Brigadier General. Warm and fuzzy he was not, but neither was he a bad guy. 

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: April 14, 2019, 06:36:18 PM »
It is great that we can all sit in our chairs and think about what went on or imagine in our minds the day of the crime and how we think it really happened. The jacket has been the point of great discussion. However in our minds if we think about all the blood that was spattered about the crime scene, a great deal. I saw some pictures last week that were on a TV program, W5 or Fifth Estate, not sure. I think it would be incredible if the person was not covered in a lot of blood, their skin and hair must have had blood on it. The dry cleaner indicated to remove blood from a jacket would take a special solution. So he indicated that was not the case, there was no special solution or no visible blood on the jacket, from my memory of what he said. Whoever did the crime, if it was Dennis, would certainly have to remain calm enough to remember to remove the cell phone and also to take the weapon with him and discreetly get out of the building without anyone noticing his departure, and this would all be during daylight hours.  It just is so unreal to me that nobody saw him, no eye witness seeing him leave the building. The gentlemen that heard the noises, unusual that they didn't investigate, since they knew that possibly Richard was working in his office.  It is all circumstantial.  I thought that if Dennis did do this crime, that once he was arrested that he would have folded, said yes, I did it in a rage, I couldn't take it anymore, but that is not what happened.  That is why I am feeling some doubt.  What kind of a person can be so calm, cool and collected, if they committed the crime of killing their own father, no matter what the history was. From the program I watched, it said that Richard Oland was not a well liked man and had lots of enemies.  So when you think of it, there is a some doubt, a smidgen of doubt.  So this decision is by judge alone, but if it was a jury, I believe they would find him guilty.  Of course, you never know which way the wind blows there either.  I used to work for a judge years ago and he used to say: "If he wasn't guilty, he wouldn't be here." ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 24, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »
The judge's decision is not expected until July 19.

New Brunswick Court of Queen's Bench Justice Terrence Morrison had hoped to have a ruling ready by June 7. But after hearing closing arguments on Thursday, he said he now realizes that was "wildly optimistic."

I wonder why closing arguments delayed the judge's expected time of ruling from June 7 to July 19?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-retrial-closing-arguments-1.5127906

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 26, 2019, 11:52:53 PM »

New Brunswick Court of Queen's Bench Justice Terrence Morrison had hoped to have a ruling ready by June 7. But after hearing closing arguments on Thursday, he said he now realizes that was "wildly optimistic."

I wonder why closing arguments delayed the judge's expected time of ruling from June 7 to July 19?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-retrial-closing-arguments-1.5127906

I take him at face value when the judge he says that his original estimate of how long it would take him to render the decision was too 'optimistic' In the CBC's twitter reporting from the page you link he backs that up with notes to other Judge only murder trials. Given he had researched and was able to orate those case comparisons to the court he must have realized he would need more time before the closing arguments began, but didn't announce it until he made his closing comments after said arguments.   

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 30, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »

I take him at face value when the judge he says that his original estimate of how long it would take him to render the decision was too 'optimistic' In the CBC's twitter reporting from the page you link he backs that up with notes to other Judge only murder trials. Given he had researched and was able to orate those case comparisons to the court he must have realized he would need more time before the closing arguments began, but didn't announce it until he made his closing comments after said arguments.   

Thanks BaySailer for the explanation-- I didn't read the twitters this time.