Author Topic: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John  (Read 466704 times)

blueriver

• View Profile
Re: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John
« Reply #1785 on: March 08, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
In my opinion, yes Dennis is so forgetful - forgot some of the genealogy things in his office, forgot he couldn’t get back into his office, forgot his routes while driving, forgot he went back to the third time, forgot the log book, forgot which jacket he was wearing .....

I, too, was interested in hearing from the cell phonee witness. RO’s cell phone received a text message at the same rime Dennis was at the wharf 6:44 pm. What could a roaming error really mean?

Didn’t Dennis and his father have some verbal altercation over the phone the afternoon about Dennis making an error in trading?

It appears that Dennis lived in the area his whole life and would certainly be familiar with any place he could have hidden a phone or a weapon even temporarily including his parents property or the river. His wife was ill and took cold medication - perhaps she was in a deep sleep and he got up. And didn’t RO have many tools which all had a special place when not in use? Was this area checked for anything missing?

I have not read today’s twitter feed of the trial but all he has to do on the stand is deny and like all defendants especially with high priced lawyers, be heavily coached on how to answer and body language. There is not a lot of proof he did this but the dna and the cell phone ping is serious evidence to me.

This was a crime of passion and rage.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: March 08, 2019, 01:41:40 PM »
Oh yes, I’d forgotten that Dennis wife was sick with a cold that night. Never heard where his kids were...

Yes...this crime was up close and personal...
The blood on Dennis’s coat is damning evidence even if there’s only four spots..
And the cell phone forensics is important evidence...I agree.
Problem with liars...the story always changes.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: March 08, 2019, 01:55:46 PM »
In my opinion, yes Dennis is so forgetful - forgot some of the genealogy things in his office, forgot he couldn’t get back into his office, forgot his routes while driving, forgot he went back to the third time, forgot the log book, forgot which jacket he was wearing .....

I, too, was interested in hearing from the cell phonee witness. RO’s cell phone received a text message at the same rime Dennis was at the wharf 6:44 pm. What could a roaming error really mean?

Didn’t Dennis and his father have some verbal altercation over the phone the afternoon about Dennis making an error in trading?

It appears that Dennis lived in the area his whole life and would certainly be familiar with any place he could have hidden a phone or a weapon even temporarily including his parents property or the river. His wife was ill and took cold medication - perhaps she was in a deep sleep and he got up. And didn’t RO have many tools which all had a special place when not in use? Was this area checked for anything missing?

I have not read today’s twitter feed of the trial but all he has to do on the stand is deny and like all defendants especially with high priced lawyers, be heavily coached on how to answer and body language. There is not a lot of proof he did this but the dna and the cell phone ping is serious evidence to me.

This was a crime of passion and rage.

You are correct about the trading error.  Don't remember hearing whether or not they had spoken about it, though.  I had originally thought that might have accounted for some of his confusion and preoccupation with other things prior to meeting with his father that night.  I thought he might have been worrying about his father's reaction but according to him, all appears to have been well on that front.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:41:42 PM by RubyRose »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: March 09, 2019, 12:54:51 PM »
Well this time it's in the hands of "Judge alone", he will make the decision and weigh the DNA evidence and the circumstantial evidence and  testimony of witnesses and all the rules that come with the making of a decision. If Dennis remembered too much, it would look like he was remembering every minute of the day to cover his alibi. So if he says things that he forgot this and that, it may look normal.  He may know exactly what he did to cover up his crime. It is unusual for him to take the stand and this is kind of the last straw, he's hanging onto the last bit of hope there is and this can be the only thing he can do to help save himself from years in prison. So it will be up to the Judge in this case and I don't think it will be a flash decision. :o :o :o :o :o

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: March 09, 2019, 09:41:18 PM »
The jacket

First trial did show blood stains on the lining, inside the sleeves, pics are onsite somewhere.  Funny it is not discussed now by prosecution. Suddenly it is only a few bloods spots on front of jacket.  Not true.

Log Book

Is it possible that D picked up that log book, after going through it with him, telling his father that he had to return it,  placing it back into the Sobey's bag and then immediately murdered his father?

I agree with all of the posters  points.  Good thinking.

jb

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: March 11, 2019, 01:39:55 AM »
I’m wondering if the regular dry cleaning process will remove blood spots...without the customer pointing them out to the cleaner.
 I googled the answer...but I still don’t really know.
The blood up Dennis’s cuff is damning, in my opinion.
I also wondered that about the log book.
I can’t get over the fact that Dennis dropped the log book off at his mom’s...but didn’t visit, unless she wasn’t home.
 Not sure if I know when Dennis actually went there.
He owed all that money, but didn’t worry?  I hadn’t heard there had been words over a trading error....Dick must have been fed up with his son’s financial isssues.  Bailing out a 40 something year old child is no fun.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:44:53 AM by jobo »

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: March 11, 2019, 01:11:57 PM »
I’m wondering if the regular dry cleaning process will remove blood spots...without the customer pointing them out to the cleaner.
I can’t get over the fact that Dennis dropped the log book off at his mom’s...but didn’t visit, unless she wasn’t home.
He owed all that money, but didn’t worry?  I hadn’t heard there had been words over a trading error....Dick must have been fed up with his son’s financial isssues.  Bailing out a 40 something year old child is no fun.

Dennis' mom may testify tomorrow, jobo.  If so, no doubt the subject may come up.  The Defence had indicated on Friday it still had  a couple of witnesses to call and, notably, the local  newspaper reported that she and his uncle (I'm assuming her brother, not Mr. Oland's) were cleared from the courtroom during Dennis' testimony.  Of course that could mean something else entirely. His Defence doesn't always deliver on the things they say they will do (it was the same at the first trial - a big buildup - then nothing).  I suppose it may be a tactic to keep the Crown off balance.  We shall have to wait and see.  After the cellphone witness fiasco, I'm not exactly holding my breath.

blueriver

• View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: March 11, 2019, 04:48:43 PM »
I read most likely on twitter Dennis dropped the logbook off around 7 am the morning RO was discovered. Perhaps his mother was still asleep and he didn’t wake her.

The trading error was something like RO called Dennis in the afternoon and asked him to make two trades and Dennis traded one the wrong way or didn’t trade both the way RO requested. And RO called Dennis back complaining. That is probably not quite accurate as I do not remember exactly. To my knowledge, neither McFadden nor RO’s assistant were asked about this call if they overheard what RO said to Dennis or what his tone was? Also McFadden said he knew nothing of Dennis’s claim RO was going to give Dennis a large amount of money in the fall which Dennis used as a reason for an advance in pay.

Anyway, whoever did this was enraged - and came prepared.

The cellphone roaming error has not been cleared up yet either. Hopefully it will be and soon.

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: March 11, 2019, 06:10:24 PM »
I read most likely on twitter Dennis dropped the logbook off around 7 am the morning RO was discovered. Perhaps his mother was still asleep and he didn’t wake her.

The trading error was something like RO called Dennis in the afternoon and asked him to make two trades and Dennis traded one the wrong way or didn’t trade both the way RO requested. And RO called Dennis back complaining. That is probably not quite accurate as I do not remember exactly. To my knowledge, neither McFadden nor RO’s assistant were asked about this call if they overheard what RO said to Dennis or what his tone was? Also McFadden said he knew nothing of Dennis’s claim RO was going to give Dennis a large amount of money in the fall which Dennis used as a reason for an advance in pay.

Anyway, whoever did this was enraged - and came prepared.

The cellphone roaming error has not been cleared up yet either. Hopefully it will be and soon.

Your trading error memory is pretty darn close to to the mark. Dick called Denny to place an order to purchase a certain $ amount of stock in a company that had recently split their stock, eg every share outstanding became 2 shares, but worth half as much. Companies do this to make their stocks more affordable.  Dennis wasn't aware of this stock split so he placed the order for the number of shares he thought would make the amount Dick wanted to spend based on an older share price, but instead spent only half.     

If Dennis is honest about his Dad stating he would transferr more money for him to handle in the fall, he could well have been ticked off about this error (we know he was like that with Dennis and others) and threatened to not transfer the money because of his son's mistakes.

I doubt that Dick was going to move more money to Denny. CIBC Wood Gundy charges their clients a lot more than the direct on-line brokerage services Far End would employ, and we know Dick was cheap. He overcharged his daughter for renting pastureland and had his wife on a tight allowance, expecting receipts for all of her spending.

I think your idea around questioning his secretary and McFadden around what they heard of Dick's phone calls that afternoon is brilliant. You should be a prosecutor.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: March 12, 2019, 12:01:21 PM »

This may answer some of your questions regarding the logbook, jobo, although I don't really see anything new here other than the fact that Mr. Connell was not called as a witness in the first trial.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-retrial-crime-scene-visit-1.5051212

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: March 12, 2019, 11:20:54 PM »
Thanks, RubyRose....Hmm. This logbook...jellybean, maybe he already took it with him the second time he left the office...had it in his bag, or left it in his car.  I think he STILL mixed up in his sequence of events..as he is saying he went back the third time for the log book.
I would’ve questioned Dennis as to the exact time that morning he left the log book at his mom’s.

Sorry...but what was Dennis’s original reason for visiting his dad for almost an hour?  There is no way in hell they didn’t have words over money....the trading error and/or Dennis’s debt.
 Speaking of debt, his lawyers must be taking a huge chunk of his (family’s) money.

Don’t “successful” men use briefcases anymore?

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: March 13, 2019, 03:59:10 AM »
Thanks, RubyRose....Hmm. This logbook...jellybean, maybe he already took it with him the second time he left the office...had it in his bag, or left it in his car.  I think he STILL mixed up in his sequence of events..as he is saying he went back the third time for the log book.
I would’ve questioned Dennis as to the exact time that morning he left the log book at his mom’s.

Sorry...but what was Dennis’s original reason for visiting his dad for almost an hour?  There is no way in hell they didn’t have words over money....the trading error and/or Dennis’s debt.
 Speaking of debt, his lawyers must be taking a huge chunk of his (family’s) money.

Not so sure how "successful" I'd classify poor Dennis, jobo.  I suppose it depends on the definition. 

In his testimony, Dennis said he dropped the logbook off at 7:00 AM that morning.  I think Mr. Connell's testimony was only to verify that they had spoken on the phone regarding the matter the previous evening.  It does, as well, suggest a reason for the visit in the first place.

The Crown contends the logbook was taken from the office on one of the trips prior to the killing.

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: March 13, 2019, 02:24:43 PM »

Dennis's original stated reason for visiting his father that evening was to discuss some new family genealogy info he had discovered during his recent trip to England. A trip he in no way could afford. 

"Hey Dad, I had great trip to England-  sorry about that interest check that just bounced!"

blueriver

• View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: March 13, 2019, 03:45:17 PM »
I don’t even know for sure there was a third visit, I only remember Dennis’ car was recorded driving past the same place three times. I don’t remember any factual evidence he made three visits. During the police interview, he stated the last time he saw his father he had his back to him and was facing the computer. Then on the stand during the first trial, I believe Dennis stated he made a third visit and the las time he saw his father he was standing beside his assistant’s desk facing him. It crossed my mind the third visit was discussed with his lawyers and this is what was decided for him to say to cover for the ‘had his back to him, facing his computer’ plus adding minutes to the timeline of arriving at the wharf. I also don’t remember if there was a video of Dennis driving along Canterbury street? again after that first one where he parked.

I agree that these lawyers for Dennis have cost the family a very large chunk of money - huge money - but it’s all RO’s money being used to defend Dennis and tax payer money to prosecute Dennis twice.

If I am remembering wrong anyone please correct me. And Baysailor, 😁 brilliant question and a proscutor? 😂

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: March 23, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »
If I recall, a video was shown by the defence showing a car that could have been driven by DO, going pass a ctv camera 3 times.  The driver had on a white shirt, and I wondered if it really was DO.  No jacket,  and shirt was white. Or was the ctv film black and white only?

The jacket also had lots of blood stains on the inside of the jacket. Perhaps someone who is computer savy might be able to bring them up, so we may have a look at them again.

The dry cleaner claimed that he did not see blood on the jacket. This does not compute. I think the cleaner lied. After all he had a reputation for spotless cleaning to defend. 

I think DO went back to RO's picked up the log book from the table, placed it in the bag and removed the hammer and murdered his Dad.  Thus, no blood on the log book.  I also believe it is very possible that DO had more than one Sobey's bag.
Don't know about you, but one bag is never enough to cart home groceries.
Thus the clean Sobey's bag in the trunk of his wife's car.  DO claimed that he drove his wife's car that day.

jb