Author Topic: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John  (Read 483043 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John
« Reply #1740 on: January 19, 2019, 03:24:37 PM »
I recall that Dennis walked with a slight limp, and he told the detective that he hurt it while on his wife' s boat.

The back stairs for the back entrance to the bldg. were oddly built, and I wonder if he hurt his leg jumping down from the back door.  He did not have a limp when he went into the bldg.
Don't know if he had a limp when he went to drug store with wife etc; hopefully someone on this board might remember more about it than I do, and will be able to clarify.

jb
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 03:27:42 PM by jellybean »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: January 19, 2019, 09:15:50 PM »
I recall that Dennis walked with a slight limp, and he told the detective that he hurt it while on his wife' s boat.

The back stairs for the back entrance to the bldg. were oddly built, and I wonder if he hurt his leg jumping down from the back door.  He did not have a limp when he went into the bldg.
Don't know if he had a limp when he went to drug store with wife etc; hopefully someone on this board might remember more about it than I do, and will be able to clarify.

jb

Hi jb--I don't recall him ever having a limp, but I remember during his LE interview (video)  he rubbed his leg and said he injured it sailing.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: January 20, 2019, 05:55:48 AM »

jb

Hi jb--I don't recall him ever having a limp, but I remember during his LE interview (video)  he rubbed his leg and said he injured it sailing.

He had said he had been having problems with his knee, which he had hurt on the boat, and when he left his father's office had considered going back to the drugstore in the nearby shopping mall for some pain medication.  He decided not to, however, because his wife was ill and annoyed with him for being late (did not prevent him from taking time to stop at the wharf although he did give a reasonable explanation for doing so). 

I don't  recall if this was in his police interview  or in his testimony at the first trial or it could have been a combination of both.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 06:01:54 AM by RubyRose »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: January 20, 2019, 09:57:37 PM »
Thank you Ruby Rose.  Yes, I believe you are right.  Ah  ….that is how it went.

Am wondering …….I believe in Thandi's camera there is a view of Dennis walking across the street to get to Dicks office.
He was carrying a Sobeys bag and his walk was brisk. I don't recall him walking with a limp then.

If he did, it certainly was not visible.

jb
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:02:13 PM by jellybean »

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: January 21, 2019, 12:10:49 PM »
Thank you Ruby Rose.  Yes, I believe you are right.  Ah  ….that is how it went.

Am wondering …….I believe in Thandi's camera there is a view of Dennis walking across the street to get to Dicks office.
He was carrying a Sobeys bag and his walk was brisk. I don't recall him walking with a limp then.

If he did, it certainly was not visible.

jb

I don't recall seeing him limp in that video either, jellybean.  According to his testimony at the first trial, he made one trip more to his father's office than he originally told police so it's a bit hard to keep track and some of the comings and goings may not even be recorded.   Just my opinion but I think his testimony hurt him last time.  There were too many inconsistencies.  It surprised me really because I had expected him to be a very good witness.  He's getting a much better defence this time so I'm sure that he will do a better job.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: January 22, 2019, 06:24:27 PM »
Thank you, Have Faith.

I reread the articles on Mrs. Adamson's testimony regarding her arrival that morning and she said something to the effect of finding the exterior door unlocked and the door to the Far End Corp being unlocked as well.  Of course that could be interpreted either way.  I'd like to know for sure, too.  She also testified about going downstairs to ask for assistance from the employees of Printing Plus but it's not clear if she had to go outside to do so.

If you watch the video from this Global TV update from Friday, the camera focuses (twice) on the single door to the left of the Printing Plus double doors. This is the door that has R.O.'s company plaque beside it. So I assume that this door was the main entrance to his office. If you stay on the link, all of the other videos will play...interesting.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4873690/saint-john-police-oland-trial/

blueriver

• View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: January 30, 2019, 01:07:57 PM »
Regarding the two people at the wharf who witnessed Dennis
Carrying a bag, pick something up, put it the bag,
And walk to the end of the wharf and sit down. Did
They not also say he took something out of the
Bag, while sitting, look at it and put it back in the bag? Do I
Remember this wrong? I thought at the time this could have
Been Dennis looking at Dick’s phone that just received a text
At 6:44 pm. I think they also said it was red. I only read the
The twitter account on this case so perhaps it just wasn’t
Mentioned this time.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: January 30, 2019, 02:20:28 PM »
re red object placed in bag.  Dennis claimed it was an empty beer bottle that he placed in the bag.

jb

blueriver

• View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: January 30, 2019, 02:55:37 PM »
Yes, he did claim it was a beer bottle but the witnesses
Said in first trial (and they were not on the stand but through
A statement or a video) after picking something up and
Putting it in the bag, Dennis walked to the end of wharf,
 sat down and took Something out of the bag and looked at it and put
It back. I think they said it was red. No information has
Been provided as to the colour of a phone case . Does anyone else
Remember this part? Or am I remembering wrong? Or is the reporter
Just not mentioning this on her twitter feed.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: January 30, 2019, 03:13:28 PM »
Yes, he did claim it was a beer bottle but the witnesses
Said in first trial (and they were not on the stand but through
A statement or a video) after picking something up and
Putting it in the bag, Dennis walked to the end of wharf,
 sat down and took Something out of the bag and looked at it and put
It back. I think they said it was red. No information has
Been provided as to the colour of a phone case . Does anyone else
Remember this part? Or am I remembering wrong? Or is the reporter
Just not mentioning this on her twitter feed.

Re R.O.'s cell phone being red --it has never been identified as being red. You may be thinking of the phone tests done by Const. Davidson, where he used numbered red stickers to indicate the test locations?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/day-11-dennis-oland-retrial-1.4942302

Re D.O. taking something red out of his bag on the wharf--""He opened the bag and took something red out, possibly a bag. He wrapped whatever he had picked up in the red thing and put it right back in the bag."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/oland-wharf-bag-murray-leblanc-1.3295180

blueriver

• View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: January 30, 2019, 07:09:47 PM »
Oh. I see thanks for helping me remember Have Faith.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: January 30, 2019, 10:58:11 PM »
You're welcome blueriver. You can usually "google" a question and find a media link that addresses it.

For example, google--"what did Dennis Oland pick up from the wharf". Our memories can't retain everything we have read. :)

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: February 24, 2019, 11:45:14 AM »
I have a feeling that Dennis is going to be found "Not Guilty", the defense is going to take two weeks to finish it's case. So we'll see then what happens.  That's all they have to do is plant "reasonable doubt" in the minds of the persons handling his final verdict and that could be very well what happens, NG.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: February 25, 2019, 05:32:29 PM »
I have a feeling that Dennis is going to be found "Not Guilty", the defense is going to take two weeks to finish it's case. So we'll see then what happens.  That's all they have to do is plant "reasonable doubt" in the minds of the persons handling his final verdict and that could be very well what happens, NG.

I think you are right Cape.  At times we do not think of "reasonable doubt".

jb

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: February 25, 2019, 05:53:39 PM »
I have to copy the article, as the Star will want money.

//www.thestar.com/news/canada/2019/02/22/crown-expected-to-wrap-evidence-portion-in-dennis-oland-murder-trial.html

Prosecution evidence concluding in Dennis Oland murder trial
By Chris MorrisThe Canadian Press
Fri., Feb. 22, 2019

SAINT JOHN, N.B.—A tense cross-examination of the final prosecution witness at the Dennis Oland murder trial has raised new questions about the time Richard Oland was killed.
John Ainsworth, the owner of the uptown Saint John building where Richard Oland was murdered on July 6, 2011, was grilled by defence lawyer Alan Gold on Friday about the loud thumps and bangs he heard that evening.

The noises likely were the sound of Oland being bludgeoned to death.
Ainsworth insisted, angrily at times, that he does not know what time he heard the noises, beyond the general range of 6 to 8 p.m. That is in contrast to his friend, Anthony Shaw, who was with him that evening and believes the noises were made around 7:30 to 8 p.m.
The time is critical to Dennis Oland’s defence. If Shaw is right, the killer could not have been Oland, since he was caught on security video shopping at 7:30 p.m.

Ainsworth’s testimony leaves open the possibility that the killing happened while Dennis Oland was at his father’s office, before he left at 6:30 p.m.
“I do not know what time it was,” Ainsworth exclaimed under intense questioning by Gold. “I have been suffering with it for eight years. I do not know.”

However, a videotaped statement made under oath by Ainsworth in 2011 for a private investigator working for the Oland family and entered into evidence on Friday, makes it clear that originally, Ainsworth also thought the sounds were made at 7:30 to 8 p.m.
“It was approximately 7:30, or quarter to 8,” he said during the interview.
Despite that, Ainsworth said once he had time to reflect on what had happened, he felt he could not be specific about the time.

“I was not paying attention,” he said.
Gold accused Ainsworth of wanting Oland to be convicted for the murder and that is why he backed off his original statement. But Ainsworth disputed that allegation.
“I am not that type of person,” he said. “I want to be honourable. That’s all. Integrity is everything.”
The testy exchanges between Gold and Ainsworth closed the prosecution case against Dennis Oland.

Among the issues explored by Crown prosecutors: A bloodstained jacket, a missing cell phone, a multitude of police errors and the bludgeoned body of one of the wealthiest men in New Brunswick.
“There’s no question that Richard Oland was murdered on July 6, 2011. The one major issue to be decided is whether it was Dennis Oland who committed this murder,” prosecutor Jill Knee said in her opening statement when the trial began in November, 2018.
Other prosecution evidence on Friday included testimony from blood and DNA analysts who identified four small bloodstains on the jacket Dennis Oland was wearing when he visited his dad on the day of the murder. Richard Oland’s DNA profile was found within three of the bloodstains.
But Gold said during cross examination of the forensic experts there are limitations to the blood and DNA evidence — there is no way to know when or how they came to be on the jacket.
“We can’t say when DNA was deposited, how it was deposited, the order in which it was

[snipped]

The stage now is set for the defence portion of the Oland trial, which will begin on March 5. Gold already has told the court that Dennis Oland will testify in his own defence, as he did at his first trial.