Author Topic: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John  (Read 487515 times)

RubyRose

• View Profile
Re: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John
« Reply #1725 on: January 14, 2019, 03:54:28 PM »
According to testimony from the previous trial, Dennis appears on more than one occasion on security tapes on Canterbury Street that night, blueriver.  Whether or not all from Thandi's, I don't know or recall (it may be noted in some of the earlier posts).  We do know that on the night Mr. Oland was killed, a young man went to Printing Plus to send a fax  and the time stamp on the fax was verified.   My initial thought  at the time was that this may have been the man Lowe saw leaving but I don't think the times would match closely enough since  Lowe arrived at approx 7:40 (again assuming all date times are correct and reasonably in sync).  Attempts to locate this witness apparently revealed that he had returned to Saudi Arabia.  Not sure if he would have been able to shed much light on the matter anyway but I'm also curious  as to whether or not he is on Thandi's tape for that night.   Again probably not of much value because if Lowe couldn't describe the  man, he probably wouldn't be able to identify him if he saw him again anyway.  I've often wondered as well assuming there is anything to the theory that the killer left by the alley door if that was also the entry point.  No security cameras there, I would think.  On the other hand if the entrance was from Canterbury Street, was or is that somewhere on a tape?

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: January 14, 2019, 04:17:42 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I agree with both of you regarding the police and do feel sorry for King and Oram.
The defense is doing their best to state the killer left by
The back door and the police can’t remember if the door was locked. Not being a
Resident, Thandi’s video camera caught Dennis leaving by the front door only once? Did it
catch him entering three times? And did Thandi’s video camera catch the person
this Lowe person saw leaving at 7:30 pm? Not understanding exactly where the
Camera faced exactly, it’s a bit confusing. I am also rusty on the times etc.

Hi blueriver.  My recollection is that Thandi's surveillance camera does not show R. Oland's office building at 52 Canterbury Street. Therefore, it would not capture Dennis entering or leaving the office, nor the person seen by witness Gerry Lowe leaving the building.

Dennis was caught on Thandi's video at 6:30 (after leaving RO's office) as he was about to cross the road across from Thandi's, to go to his car which was parked in the parking lot next door to Thandi's.

Gerry Lowe saw somebody leave R.O's office "sometime after 7:30". He was actually in Thandi's from 7:40 to 8:35 (per video). During this time period Dennis was caught on security video (at 7:40) across town shopping with his wife.

Anthony Shaw and John Ainsworth who were in the printing shop below R.O.'s office, both gave police statements claiming that they heard loud thumping noises coming from R.O."s office around 8pm.  During the first trial  Ainsworth (owner of 52 Canterbury) changed his statement to the time being between 6-8pm. Shaw did not change his estimate of 8pm.

Just saw Ruby's post as I was posting mine.  Hi Ruby!

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 14, 2019, 06:15:58 PM »
Hi Have Faith

I believe Thandi's cameras face in more than one direction so I'm thinking that it's possible (although I don't know) that one of them might happen to pick up something from 52 Canterbury since  it is directly across the street.

One interesting thing regarding Anthony Shaw's testimony during the first trial was that while being examined by the Crown, he was asked if  he knew Gerry Lowe.  He replied that he would not know him to see and the line of questioning was not further pursued.  It seemed somewhat strange at the time but in hindsight I recall that Shaw had said earlier that he had stepped outside (don't recall if he gave a time but likely would have given at least an approximate one) to have a cigarette.  I suspect now the Crown was attempting to make the point that Shaw could have been the man Lowe claimed to have seen.  Lowe, of course, was never called as a witness.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 14, 2019, 07:06:29 PM »
Hi Have Faith

I believe Thandi's cameras face in more than one direction so I'm thinking that it's possible (although I don't know) that one of them might happen to pick up something from 52 Canterbury since  it is directly across the street.

One interesting thing regarding Anthony Shaw's testimony during the first trial was that while being examined by the Crown, he was asked if  he knew Gerry Lowe.  He replied that he would not know him to see and the line of questioning was not further pursued.  It seemed somewhat strange at the time but in hindsight I recall that Shaw had said earlier that he had stepped outside (don't recall if he gave a time but likely would have given at least an approximate one) to have a cigarette.  I suspect now the Crown was attempting to make the point that Shaw could have been the man Lowe claimed to have seen.  Lowe, of course, was never called as a witness.

Regarding the Thandi video range- yes, you would think that it would show the front door to Far End Corp. offices. Although video showed D.O.'s silver car driving near 52 Canterbury, and the Thandi video showed him at his car in the parking lot beside Thandi's, I don't know of any video showing Far End Corp. entered as evidence. The first visit Dennis made to to the office had to be confirmed by the secretary's husband who was waiting outside the office. Obviously there was no video of this visit or video mentioned for his other trips to the office. I believe if they existed, they would have been valuable evidence.

Interesting questioning of Shaw by the Crown re Gerry Lowe. I think you are likely correct in reading the Crown's intentions considering that Shaw had exited the building for a smoke. Shaw would have exited out of the printing shop door, but that is pretty close to the office door. Good thinking Ruby.

edit white car to silver car.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:50:07 PM by Have faith »

blueriver

• View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 15, 2019, 05:10:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies. If it was Shaw Gerry Lowe saw, wouldn’t
He have seen him come out of the printing shop door and not
Far End’s door? Or are they the same door entrance? I don’t think so though.

The defense is pushing the back entrance theory mostly by
Stating the killer would have left this way therefore be unseen. Until
He entered the street the video they produced shows. Blood splattered. I’m unsure if the
back door was accessible for entry without a key
as there is no door handle or at least it
looks that way in the picture. So unless the door was ajar, no one could enter.
So have been wondering what the Thandi’s video camera would have caught.
 The man Lowe saw would be another alternate theory.
Other than Dennis.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: January 16, 2019, 06:14:55 AM »
I may stand to be corrected on this, blueriver, but I had the impression that since they shared the same street address the separate entrances were inside the building.  I used to frequent that area quite a bit at one time but not so much after the murder because I always found it unsettling and upsetting.  Baysailor may know if he is reading this.

Not sure how much value I put in the video of the alley.   It was staged several years after the fact and was not shown to the jury in the first trial (although the theory was certainly put forth many times and is somewhat plausible).  My problem with it is the physical layout could have been different and unless it was done from actual pictures  from that time (and perhaps it was) details could have been missed.  Memories do grow dim over time which, overall,  should work in Dennis' favour in the long run. 

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: January 16, 2019, 12:02:32 PM »
If you go to google maps, and locate 52 Canterbury Street "street view" (by clicking on bottom picture), you can see a single door with a name plate beside it "Far End Corporation".  The next door down from this is a double door with a sign "Printing Plus" above it.  I just assumed that Far End had that one outside entrance, but it is possible you could get upstairs from those double doors. I hope someone can let us know.

A more recent picture of the location is on Printing Plus's website. It now shows a small sign attached near the door frame on the next door down from the double doors.

clarify door signs and correct company name
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:11:08 PM by Have faith »

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: January 16, 2019, 12:32:08 PM »
Thank you, Have Faith.

I reread the articles on Mrs. Adamson's testimony regarding her arrival that morning and she said something to the effect of finding the exterior door unlocked and the door to the Far End Corp being unlocked as well.  Of course that could be interpreted either way.  I'd like to know for sure, too.  She also testified about going downstairs to ask for assistance from the employees of Printing Plus but it's not clear if she had to go outside to do so.

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: January 16, 2019, 11:19:28 PM »
There is indeed an interior door from Printing Plus to the stairwell, as well as a 'freight' elevator at the back from Printing Plus to the upper hallways.

In today's testimony the forensic sergeant said that in March 2014 it was his idea to compare the foot print photos from before and after the removal of Dick's body, but in cross examination a defense lawyer shows the court an email from the previous trial's crown prosecutor to this sergeant stating that the footprint issue will come into play in trial, and that he should downplay the footprint's significance. That's not really kosher. And completely coincidentally, the defense sent an email in January 2014 raising the footprint issue.   

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: January 17, 2019, 04:55:51 AM »
There is indeed an interior door from Printing Plus to the stairwell, as well as a 'freight' elevator at the back from Printing Plus to the upper hallways.

In today's testimony the forensic sergeant said that in March 2014 it was his idea to compare the foot print photos from before and after the removal of Dick's body, but in cross examination a defense lawyer shows the court an email from the previous trial's crown prosecutor to this sergeant stating that the footprint issue will come into play in trial, and that he should downplay the footprint's significance. That's not really kosher. And completely coincidentally, the defense sent an email in January 2014 raising the footprint issue.   

Thank you, BaySailor.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: January 17, 2019, 04:55:18 PM »

BaySailor, thank you for the info re the accesses to Oland's office. Do you have an idea which door was usually used, eg single door, or through the double doors?

Could you tell me where you read the testimony about the foot print evidence?  TIA

Another revelation, that is news to me, is that the will found on R.O.'s desk was a genealogical will, not his personal one. There had been speculation that Dennis may have snapped if he saw disturbing changes to Dick's will.

http://live.cbc.ca/Event/Jan_17_2019_-_Dennis_Oland_murder_retrial?Page=2

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: January 17, 2019, 09:03:45 PM »

BaySailor, thank you for the info re the accesses to Oland's office. Do you have an idea which door was usually used, eg single door, or through the double doors?

Could you tell me where you read the testimony about the foot print evidence?  TIA

Another revelation, that is news to me, is that the will found on R.O.'s desk was a genealogical will, not his personal one. There had been speculation that Dennis may have snapped if he saw disturbing changes to Dick's will.

http://live.cbc.ca/Event/Jan_17_2019_-_Dennis_Oland_murder_retrial?Page=2

This footprint issue arises in Wednesday afternoon's testimony, per the CBC live blog...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-retrial-richard-oland-1.4979845

I had never heard of a genealogical will before today. Never too old to learn, apparently!

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: January 18, 2019, 01:31:54 PM »

Thank you BaySailor. I had looked for the Jan. 16 blog and didn't find it. I thought court was dismissed that day.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: January 18, 2019, 03:48:18 PM »
It may not sit at all next week, Have Faith.  A severe winter storm is predicted for this region on the weekend which could affect travel into early next week.  To complicate all that, Alan Gold has a Supreme Court hearing next Thursday so the Judge (wisely, I think) says it may have to be cancelled.  All up in the air at this point (no pun intended).

Stay tuned.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: January 18, 2019, 04:02:15 PM »
Thanks Ruby, yes I did read about the possibility of court not sitting next week. I hope you fare well with the storm!