Author Topic: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John  (Read 438953 times)

BaySailor

• View Profile
Re: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John
« Reply #1695 on: October 10, 2018, 08:21:49 PM »

I find  the items to be compelling. Did Oland's lawyers miss the ball by not asking the pathologist if the evidence suggested that the attacker was right or left handed? Sounds like it to me. I can see why the prosecution didn't ask. Why was the lawyer's witness account (Cheryl Johnson) of a heated argument heard coming from Oland's office area, just before he was likely killed, not part of the testimony at the first trial? One of our unanswered questions--did the defense mess up on this also?

As far as Dennis having a financial motive to kill his father, I think it is evident that Richard would never allow Dennis to lose the family homestead, Sevenacres, due to financial problems. RO saved the estate after DO's divorce and I'm confident that he would do it again, and just take it off DO's share of his estate.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the article in the link provided.
Yes, I agree, it seems odd from afar that Cheryl Johnson did not take the stand, but I can't believe that lawyers with the experience of Gold et al simply overlooked it- I suspect there is something more that either prevented her from testifying or led both sides OR the judge to determine her testimony wouldn't be relevant or appropriate. Otherwise that would be a terrible error of omission for the defense to have made.

I too also believe that Dick might well have decided to retain the 7 Acres property, but that does not alter the fact that Dennis couldn't pay his credit cards and was getting cash advances from his manager John Travis, and misled a bank about his income on a mortgage application. I see that, and his inheritance, as motive.   
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:16:38 AM by BaySailor »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: October 15, 2018, 08:23:16 PM »

Gary Miller quits Dennis Oland's legal team as murder retrial begins.

One of Dennis Oland's defence lawyers is stepping down, just as his retrial for second-degree murder in the 2011 death of his father, multimillionaire Richard Oland, gets underway in Saint John today with jury selection.

Gary Miller, who has represented Dennis Oland from the beginning and is one of the most prominent and experienced criminal defence lawyers in New Brunswick, is being replaced by Michael Lacy of Toronto.

"It's not real complicated," Miller told CBC News. "I generally think that it's a good idea to get a fresh set of eyes on a retrial, pure and simple."
Miller, 70, of Fredericton, said he could think of only one other case in his 41-year career where he represented a client at both trial and retrial.
"And that was a relatively straightforward one-issue case," heard by a judge and jury at the first trial and by a judge alone on retrial.
"It wasn't this kind of case where there's issues all over the place," he said without elaborating.

The other members of his defence team on retrial include Alan Gold of Toronto, and James McConnell of Saint John, who were both involved in the first trial.

In reference to Gary Miller quitting, Alan Gold commented, ""He simply felt that the day-to-day work in court everyday was becoming too much. It's extremely taxing, not to mention the preparation you have to do each evening."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-trial-defence-lawyer-1.4861528?cmp=rss

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: October 15, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »
The daughters and Dennis were afraid that Dick was ready to divorce their mother and marry the mistress.

Thus lose their inheritance. They hated her and did not trust her.
A few days before the murder, Dennis was in the office and saw a note on the Accountants desk with instructions from Dick -
to bring up the will for changes and to talk to his insurance company..... so Dennis came to one conclusion.

However he was wrong - Dick added to his will that Connie would inherit almost everything, but it was to be held in Trust
She would get a certain amount every month, and if she needed more, she would have to go to the Accountant for approval.
Poor Connie - still had to go to the accountant.

Dennis ended up as President.  So he must be receiving a salary.
So if Dennis killed his father, too bad that he did not know that his mother would be cared for and he would end up with a job.

Dick had no intention of marrying Diane imo.

The whole investigation was poorly done.... well, we can all agree with that.

Dennis may well be innocent, but there were alot of things stacked against him, especially his jacket. The blood on it was recent when taken to the cleaners and it held Dick's dna.

This trial will be another block buster.  Another book and perhaps a movie.

Dick was an abusive man.....when it came to his family. imo.

I wish Dennis all the best.

jb

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:14:47 PM by jellybean »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: October 16, 2018, 11:54:45 AM »
The daughters and Dennis were afraid that Dick was ready to divorce their mother and marry the mistress.

Thus lose their inheritance. They hated her and did not trust her.
A few days before the murder, Dennis was in the office and saw a note on the Accountants desk with instructions from Dick -
to bring up the will for changes and to talk to his insurance company..... so Dennis came to one conclusion.

However he was wrong - Dick added to his will that Connie would inherit almost everything, but it was to be held in Trust
She would get a certain amount every month, and if she needed more, she would have to go to the Accountant for approval.
Poor Connie - still had to go to the accountant.

Dennis ended up as President.  So he must be receiving a salary.
So if Dennis killed his father, too bad that he did not know that his mother would be cared for and he would end up with a job.

Dick had no intention of marrying Diane imo.

The whole investigation was poorly done.... well, we can all agree with that.

Dennis may well be innocent, but there were alot of things stacked against him, especially his jacket. The blood on it was recent when taken to the cleaners and it held Dick's dna.

This trial will be another block buster.  Another book and perhaps a movie.

Dick was an abusive man.....when it came to his family. imo.

I wish Dennis all the best.

jb

Hi jb, I have some comments below.

Quote jb: "The blood on it was recent when taken to the cleaners and it held Dick's dna. "

RCMP dna scientist Joy Kearsey:
"There's no way to say how the blood got on the jacket, or HOW LONG it had been there, said Kearsey." (bbm)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/oland-trial-blood-dna-jacket-1.3332439

Quote jb: "A few days before the murder, Dennis was in the office and saw a note on the Accountants desk with instructions from Dick -
to bring up the will for changes and to talk to his insurance company..... so Dennis came to one conclusion."

I am unaware that Dennis was in Richard's office a few days before the murder. RO had just returned from a two week holiday and July 6 was his first day back at his office. There is no evidence that Dennis saw the accountant's note re the Will and there was no mention of the insurance company.

"A handwritten to-do list found on McFadden's desk at Richard Oland's office had "will" as the sixth item."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/richard-oland-will-insurance-mcfadden-1.3301617

Quote jb: "She (Connie) would get a certain amount every month, and if she needed more, she would have to go to the Accountant for approval.
Poor Connie - still had to go to the accountant."

Both the accountant Robert Mcfadden and Dennis were the trustees of RO's Will. It is common practice, and advisable, to name in one's Will,  experienced and trusted people to oversee a large estate. The trust fund was in Mrs. Oland's name and serves the purpose of providing her with income to live comfortably, while protecting the investments and ensuring that the residual eventually ends up going to their children upon her death. A trust fund, with two trustees would also prevent Mrs. Oland from being vulnerable to being bamboozled by anybody, including her own children. It was an excellent and common arrangement imo.

Quote jb: "So if Dennis killed his father, too bad that he did not know that his mother would be cared for and he would end up with a job."

As trustee of his father's estate, Dennis would have been aware of the stipulations in RO's Will.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: October 17, 2018, 09:14:21 PM »
I believed that Dennis saw the word Will and jumped to conclusions.  He had not been foretold that his father would revisit the Will.  Nor did Dick discuss with Dennis the addition or changes he intended to make to the Will.

Like Baysailor, I believe that the fear of losing his inheritance was part of the motive.

The blood on the jacket was in the lining "mostly" -  especially on the back flap and up the sleeves. No way could this have been created by Dicks bleeding fingers, or in anyway by him.  There was too much of it scattered through out the lining. 

I guess I should go back and review the pic's - memory can be foggy since I have not reviewed the file in a long time.

A thought just occured to me..... could he have removed his jacket, turned it inside out and wore it backwards.  Reversed it back to its original and walked out with a clean jacket?

However, one would think it would have been covered in blood.  It is a real stumper!!

If I recall it was the jacket used as main evidence in the first trial, that carried weight for a re-trial.

jb
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:20:55 PM by jellybean »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: October 18, 2018, 06:22:06 PM »
In my opinion, jellybean...the blood on the jacket is what makes me believe Dennis is guilty...
Also, he did a hell of a lot that day, eh? Here, there and everywhere, even at his mother’s late that night (can’t quite recall...didn’t he return some papers or something?)
is he always that busy?

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: October 18, 2018, 11:19:05 PM »
In my opinion, jellybean...the blood on the jacket is what makes me believe Dennis is guilty...
Also, he did a hell of a lot that day, eh? Here, there and everywhere, even at his mother’s late that night (can’t quite recall...didn’t he return some papers or something?)
is he always that busy?

I agree!- also he took many a trip around the office before he parked, Chicken?  I think he had taken a ping hammer out o his trunk. Placed it in his carry bag or tucked it under his belt.  He had tools that belonged to his father.   a small hammer would have done it.  Fast,sharp with little splatter on him.  Albeit on everything else. He stood behind him, and gave it to him.

Reversed his jacket to do it.
There, I said it!!

jb
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:22:43 PM by jellybean »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: October 19, 2018, 07:01:57 PM »

The landlord did it.

There, I said it! 

LOL

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: October 20, 2018, 03:50:53 PM »

The landlord did it.

There, I said it! 

LOL

I so enjoy your posts Have Faith!!Now I am very curious!! I will be pondering this all nite, darn you.  LOL

jb

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:17:29 PM by jellybean »