Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John  (Read 312072 times)

BaySailor

• View Profile
Re: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John
« Reply #1680 on: July 13, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »
Dennis Oland has been granted a new trial by Supreme Court of Canada. His lawyers asked for an acquittal, and the prosecution asked for his conviction to be reinstated.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-supreme-court-decision-appeal-murder-1.4176092

thanks for that. Officially it's the NB Court of Appeal that granted the new trial- the Supreme Court of Canada by not hearing the appeals lets that decision continue to stand.

I wonder when  that will be? The NB government is broke, and this would be an expensive retrial. Any chance the crown doesn't proceed?

Thanks BaySailor. If there is one thing I am consistent about--it's screwing up the various courts of justice.   ;D

As for your questions, the following is taken from the above link.

"Although the Crown is not obligated to pursue the new trial ordered by the Court of Appeal, it "absolutely" will be, said LaBonté.

A date for the new trial will now be scheduled in New Brunswick's Court of Queen's Bench, likely for sometime in 2018."

thanks. And apparently the crown wants a jury trial again. I can't wait!   

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: July 13, 2017, 05:32:10 PM »
This time around, who has the choice? Re; by judge or jury? Prosecution or Defendant?

jb

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: July 13, 2017, 07:22:40 PM »
This time around, who has the choice? Re; by judge or jury? Prosecution or Defendant?

jb

The Criminal Code stipulates all homicide cases are to be heard by a judge and jury, but the defence or Crown can request a judge-alone trial. The other party must consent and its decision cannot be appealed.

Apparently the Crown wouldn't accede to that, at least at this point.     
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:38:10 PM by BaySailor »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: July 13, 2017, 10:38:03 PM »
but the defence or Crown can request a judge-alone trial. The other party must consent and its decision cannot be appealed.

Who gets the request (who goes first?} Would it go to whomever files the request first? ie - by judge.

JB

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: July 14, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »
but the defence or Crown can request a judge-alone trial. The other party must consent and its decision cannot be appealed.

Who gets the request (who goes first?} Would it go to whomever files the request first? ie - by judge.

JB

I don't think it matters who requests a trial by either judge or jury jb. Both sides have to agree or it doesn't happen.

It seems obvious to me, that the Crown wants another trial by jury, since they got a guilty verdict in the first jury trial. Broke or not--and good luck finding an impartial jury! If I was to guess, I think Dennis might have a better chance with a judge, due to the legal interpretation of "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt".  JMO

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: July 15, 2017, 04:26:26 PM »
I don't think it matters who requests a trial by either judge or jury jb. Both sides have to agree or it doesn't happen.

Well, the trick to get out of another trial, is to not agree..... and go free?

er.... Something is not making sense.... I think I am missing something.
Am wearing my "stupid hat" today.

jb

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: July 16, 2017, 12:46:05 AM »

Well, the trick to get out of another trial, is to not agree..... and go free?

er.... Something is not making sense.... I think I am missing something.
Am wearing my "stupid hat" today.

jb

It will be by jury unless crown, defence, and judge agree otherwise. If the defence wants a judge only trial and the others don't agree, too bad for the defence. It proceeds as a jury trial.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: July 16, 2017, 11:32:14 PM »
Thanks Bay Sailor.  -  I  agree that  D. might want trial by judge. He did not have much luck with jury.

Is this trial still "the talk of the town"? -  Or has it been hushed down?

jb
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:37:39 PM by jellybean »

Long Gone

• View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: August 09, 2017, 06:16:18 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-new-murder-trial-1.4238345

Snipped for length.

Crown 'hopeful' Dennis Oland's new murder trial will be held in 2018
Date expected to be set on Sept. 5, after both parties 'iron out' some matters
By Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon, CBC Posted: Aug 08, 2017

The Crown is "hopeful" Dennis Oland's new murder trial in the bludgeoning death of his father, New Brunswick multimillionaire Richard Oland, six years ago, will be held next year.

P.J. Veniot, the lead prosecutor, made the statement to reporters after a brief court appearance in Saint John on Tuesday morning.

"The Crown is ready to proceed whenever the dates are set," he said.

​A date for the new second-degree murder trial, ordered by the New Brunswick Court of Appeal when it overturned Oland's conviction last fall, was scheduled to be set Tuesday in Saint John's Court of Queen's Bench.

But Veniot told the court both parties need more time to prepare.

There are "matters that need to be ironed out," Veniot said.

Both the Crown and defence will be "much better prepared for the next court appearance."

Justice William Grant agreed to the request and set scheduling for Sept. 5.

Oland, 49, who is free on bail while awaiting the new trial, did not attend Tuesday's proceedings. Oland family lawyer Bill Teed appeared on behalf of him and the defence team.

They too are hopeful the trial will be held in 2018, Teed told CBC News.

Asked whether there's any reason to believe it might not be, he replied: "I don't think so, but many people are involved who need to be accommodated when setting trial dates."

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: September 06, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »
Just an update on the trial scheduling which has been delayed again by unresolved issues. I found this quote by Judge Morrison interesting ---"Morrison said he had hoped the pre-trial conference could be held sooner, but he understands there is the "possibility of an application that may require additional evidence and some health issues that may prevent that from happening in October." He did not elaborate." ???

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-trial-date-1.4272129

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: September 11, 2017, 09:50:42 AM »
I had the impression from the news article that I read, Have Faith, that it may have been related to the illness of one of the lawyers - can't remember now whether Crown or Defence .  I haven't been particularly following it much lately and unless something very new and startling is revealed either before or during the next trial, I probably won't bother then, either.  There was one witness (I had posted on it here somewhere earlier) who I thought could have helped Dennis considerably last time but although they were aware of her, the Defence chose not to call her.  They may choose to do so next time.  Not sure her testimony would have the same impact now, though.  Since it was possible she could have made a huge difference, (At the time she would likely have testified, I was still leaning toward "Not Guilty")I think most people would question why she wasn't called in the first place so they may have missed the boat on that one.