Author Topic: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John  (Read 482673 times)

BaySailor

• View Profile
Re: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John
« Reply #1605 on: October 25, 2016, 06:12:12 PM »
I should have stated that my comment regarding the family hiring of investigators was for the period after the conviction. I am aware that someone did such prior to the trial and I too assume that was Gold. I can't imagine any family not doing so themselves after the conviction was registered in the interest of both justice for the incarcerated son, and the murdered father when they believe the true killer to be another person. It is not an uncommon occurrence where such hired help hand their leads to the prosecuting attorneys. I have not heard of anyone sniffing around Rothesay or Saint John since the original trial.

I believe, but am not certain, that the private investigators hired shortly after the murder were interviewing potential witnesses. That would lead me to think that this was preparation for a defense as opposed to a search for a different suspect. Dennis left the police station the day after his father died knowing they believed he was the killer.     

We don't know what measures and efforts the Oland's have taken to exonerate Dennis. But one thing is certain, without police assistance and cooperation, it is an impossible mission. Surely you know this BaySailor.

First of all, I am sure that law enforcement would reopen the case if someone brought new evidence forward, particularly given the connections the Olands have. Rothesay is full of lawyers and judges, including a former Supreme  Court of NB judge whose family Dennis is very close to. Between their own lawyers and their connections I am certain they have the influence to have the case reopened if anything interesting would show up. They have the money to hire the best investigators available should they want to. In my conversations with family members and friends there has been no inkling of any attempts to pursue other options. That doesn't mean that there hasn't been, but my crowd in Rothesay are unaware of such a thing and it appears the press aren't either.             

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: October 25, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »
I agree with you BaySailor.

In my own opinion,  the families main goal has never changed - Get Dennis home and make sure that he never returns to jail.

I doubt that the family will really look for anyone else.  Why would they want to stir up the pot? They would want to put this nightmare behind them.

They would hope that all will settle down - much of it will be forgotten in time, and they can continue on as normal within their own social group, as if nothing ever happened.- without
Dick of course.

Justice comes in many forms, so they say..

Perhaps this Xmas, they will forego THE  flaming Xmas pudding - that constantly sputtered out sending Dick into a tirade ruining the whole day for everyone.

I don't think they will miss that.

jb
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:56:42 PM by jellybean »

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: October 25, 2016, 07:01:28 PM »
I agree with you BaySailor.

In my own opinion,  the families main goal has never changed - Get Dennis home and make sure that he never returns to jail.

I doubt that the family will really look for anyone else.  Why would they want to stir up the pot? They would want to put this nightmare behind them.

They would hope that all will settle down - much of it will be forgotten in time, and they can continue on as normal within their own social group, as if nothing ever happened.- without Dick of course.

Perhaps this Xmas, they will forego THE  flaming Xmas pudding - that constantly sputtered out sending Dick into a tirade ruining the whole day for everyone.

I don't think they will miss that.

jb

OK, that was funny! Yes, perhaps they'll have pie at Christmas instead.

They still have the difficult task of rebuilding the family, and it will be interesting to see if and what any fall-out there might be among the siblings. Given he is now innocent under the law he could resume his involvement in Far End, which would have it's 3 shareholders controlling an enormous amount of money- Dennis, a sister who supported him, and one who didn't.   
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:11:41 PM by BaySailor »

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: October 25, 2016, 07:31:29 PM »
Sorry to learn that there will possibly be fall out among family members.  One would hope they would stick together during all of this.

This may be very difficult for their mother, who would be working so hard to keep everything together.

At times like this, siblings can take sides - it is not uncommon. Very often one is left out in the cold... Friends stand by and watch with a helpless feeling, yet they cannot interfere.
Divorces can create hard feelings, and family breakups as an example, but murder creates chaos in families.

One tragedy heaped upon another.

Nothing much can be done. It is in their hands to bring their relationships towards an even keel, and a better understanding.

I wish them all the best.

jb

Well said.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: October 25, 2016, 08:16:52 PM »
oops, I accidentally removed my post BaySailor.
What I said - still stands.

I do wish this family well.

jb

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: October 25, 2016, 08:22:04 PM »
I should have stated that my comment regarding the family hiring of investigators was for the period after the conviction. I am aware that someone did such prior to the trial and I too assume that was Gold. I can't imagine any family not doing so themselves after the conviction was registered in the interest of both justice for the incarcerated son, and the murdered father when they believe the true killer to be another person. It is not an uncommon occurrence where such hired help hand their leads to the prosecuting attorneys. I have not heard of anyone sniffing around Rothesay or Saint John since the original trial.

I believe, but am not certain, that the private investigators hired shortly after the murder were interviewing potential witnesses. That would lead me to think that this was preparation for a defense as opposed to a search for a different suspect. Dennis left the police station the day after his father died knowing they believed he was the killer.     

We don't know what measures and efforts the Oland's have taken to exonerate Dennis. But one thing is certain, without police assistance and cooperation, it is an impossible mission. Surely you know this BaySailor.

First of all, I am sure that law enforcement would reopen the case if someone brought new evidence forward, particularly given the connections the Olands have. Rothesay is full of lawyers and judges, including a former Supreme  Court of NB judge whose family Dennis is very close to. Between their own lawyers and their connections I am certain they have the influence to have the case reopened if anything interesting would show up. They have the money to hire the best investigators available should they want to. In my conversations with family members and friends there has been no inkling of any attempts to pursue other options. That doesn't mean that there hasn't been, but my crowd in Rothesay are unaware of such a thing and it appears the press aren't either.           

Are you saying that you have had conversations with Oland family members and friends, or are you referring to your family members and friends?  Just curious.  :)

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: October 25, 2016, 08:31:39 PM »
I read it to be his family and friends.
jb

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: October 25, 2016, 08:44:44 PM »
Quote BaySailor:

" In my conversations with family members and friends there has been no inkling of any attempts to pursue other options."

JB: Why would his family and friends know about any attempts the Oland's would have made.  Nope, that doesn't make sense. :)

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: October 25, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »

Are you saying that you have had conversations with Oland family members and friends, or are you referring to your family members and friends?  Just curious.  :)

The former.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: October 26, 2016, 03:49:17 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-trial-police-commission-postponed-1.3820108

Dennis Oland's new trial halts probe of father's murder investigation
N.B. Police Commission review of allegations against Saint John deputy chief ongoing
By Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon, CBC News Posted: Oct 26, 2016 6:40 AM AT Last Updated: Oct 26, 2016 6:40 AM AT

The New Brunswick Police Commission's investigation into the Saint John Police Force's handling of the Richard Oland murder investigation has been postponed indefinitely now that the Court of Appeal has ordered a new trial for Dennis Oland.

The review by the independent provincial oversight body.will remain suspended "until such time as all criminal proceedings are completed," executive director Steve Roberge confirmed in an email to CBC News.

It's unclear how long that will take. A date for Oland's second trial in his father's 2011 death has not yet been set.

His next scheduled court appearance to possibly set a trial date is at Saint John's Court of Queen's Bench on Dec. 5, "or any day earlier the court may decide," Justice Marc Richard said during Tuesday's bail hearing.

Dennis Oland released on bail by N.B. Court of Appeal, pending retrial
Dennis Oland gets new 2nd-degree murder trial, as appeal court cites judge's error

Meanwhile, a separate police commission investigation into allegations Deputy Chief Glen McCloskey encouraged another officer not to reveal McCloskey had entered the bloody crime scene is proceeding, said Roberge.

It is expected to be complete by Dec. 26, he said.

Oland, 48, was released on bail Tuesday after the Court of Appeal panel overturned his conviction and ordered a new trial on Monday.

Saint John Police Chief John Bates declined to comment on the latest developments, deferring inquiries to the Office of the Attorney General.

The Attorney General's office has also declined to comment.

Inquiry was launched last December

The New Brunswick Police Commission's review of the police investigation was initiated on Dec. 22 after several issues came to light during the trial.

The jury heard evidence that police failed to protect the crime scene from possible contamination, used the washroom located in the foyer outside the victim's office for two days before it was forensically tested and never tested the back door for evidence.

Nicole Paquet, then-chair of the Saint John Board of Police Commissioners, had requested the provincial commission review.

She also felt the review was important for officer morale, she had said.

The review was suspended, however, in January, after Oland's defence lawyer filed his appeal.

"We wish to ensure that a commission investigation does not affect or impact the ongoing criminal proceedings," the commission had said in a statement.

Once the investigation is completed, the results and any recommendations will be advanced to the minister of public safety for consideration. It's unclear when that will be or whether the findings will be made public.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 04:23:29 PM by jellybean »

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: October 26, 2016, 08:32:59 PM »
So if 5000 jury summons were issued and 1000 potential jurors screened the first time around, how many will they need a second time when EVERYBODY in southern NB is now well aware of the circumstances from the first trial? You couldn't avoid hearing about it in Saint John. Will this not be a problem?

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: October 26, 2016, 09:42:22 PM »
So if 5000 jury summons were issued and 1000 potential jurors screened the first time around, how many will they need a second time when EVERYBODY in southern NB is now well aware of the circumstances from the first trial? You couldn't avoid hearing about it in Saint John. Will this not be a problem?

Everybody in CANADA is pretty much well aware of the circumstances from the first trial. I think this is a huge problem.

BTW--thanks for your response from my earlier question.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: October 27, 2016, 04:45:47 AM »
No question that it opens up a whole new set of problems as if there weren't enough already in this case.  It's happened before though sometimes producing a different result and sometimes not, although perhaps not with cases as high profile as this one.  I don't know if it's possible in a matter this serious for the defendant to elect trial by judge alone (I think I recall another murder trial in NB years ago where it was but the name escapes me) but that might very well be the best route to take.  Personally, for various reasons, I'm never comfortable with those types of trials when serious offences are involved, but if it's best for all concerned so be it.

Nish

• I can't get PTSD, I'm a carrier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: October 27, 2016, 10:22:47 AM »

It probably will be a problem. This is why due process is such a vital element of the justice system. Stone guilty or not, everyone deserves a fair shake - and Dennis has a right to this.

I do not see this being an easy road to travel for the prosecution.

Nish

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: October 27, 2016, 10:54:52 AM »
Nish
I do not see this being an easy road to travel for the prosecution.

I wonder if the prosecution will proceed with a second trial.... it would mean putting forth the same evidence, perhaps leaving out the navy jacket, the jacket that played a large part as to whether Dennis lied.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-supreme-court-bail-appeal-ottawa-1.3822046

Dennis Oland to travel to Ottawa for Supreme Court bail appeal
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:57:54 AM by jellybean »