Author Topic: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John  (Read 443454 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 02:00:12 PM »
http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/front/article/1425729

Yacht club | Port city police remain silent on detailsA1By MARK IYPE
Canadaeast News Service

SAINT JOHN - A sailboat docked at the Royal Kennebeccasis Yacht Club and listed as belonging to the daughter-in-law of slain Saint John businessman Richard (Dick) Oland was searched by police Thursday, says a club member who witnessed the investigation.

Police officers spent several hours rummaging through the greyish-green boat named Loki as police divers were seen swimming through the murky waters surrounding the marina, said club member Ken Ward.

"They were on board for quite a while," said Ward.

"But I have no idea if they found anything."

According to a 2010 yacht club directory, the boat belongs to Lisa Ferguson, the wife of Oland's son Dennis.

In keeping with the silence surrounding the high-profile case, police wouldn't confirm whether the search was related to the investigation into Oland's death or if they have any suspects.

Police spokesman Sgt. Glenn Hayward would only say the search was part of "an ongoing major investigation."

Ward said police locked the gates to the Millidgeville yacht club at around 9 a.m., allowing only members onto the property for the next six hours.

He said divers searched under most of the boats in the marina, something he described as a difficult task, given the size of the yacht club, which holds almost 200 vessels.

"It's pretty mucky down there," Ward said.

"Be almost impossible to find anything, especially if they don't know what they're looking for."

It isn't known if police were searching for a specific item.

Ward said police concentrated their search on Ferguson's boat.

A week ago, members of the major crime unit, along with a canine team, searched Dennis Oland's home, spending all day on the large estate located around the corner from his father's house.

About 20 officers spent more than eight hours on the property, which has been in the Oland family for generations and is where Dennis Oland lives with his own family.

The following day, police searched a wooded area just down the road from the Oland homestead.

Then, as on Thursday, police refused to say if they were investigating the death of the Dick Oland.

Oland, 69, a member of the famed Moosehead beer-brewing family, was found dead in his office July 7.

The police department has kept mum, saying only that Oland likely knew his killer and that it wasn't a random act or suicide.

Police haven't released the cause of death.

Few details have emerged about the homicide of a man lauded by many as a successful entrepreneur, community leader and officer of the Order of Canada.

Oland ran Far End Corp., a personal investment holding company, and Kingshurst Estates, a property-rental company, from his uptown office where he was killed.

Those were just the latest businesses run by the Moosehead scion since he left the family-owned brewery in 1981.

However, over the past decade, Oland spent less time concentrating on his business interests and more on his lifelong passion for sailing.

With files from April Cunningham

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:48:21 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »
Am, this was my fault, in the pasting of it, I ended up with John so I assumed it was St.  Being a Westerner, what and the heck do I know? So it must have been Saint John, or whatever!! Hopefully one got the gist of the article. lol I have corrected it by way of modifying.
No mistakes were made in the article, and of course the link is there - by god's grace!!
Thanks, Am you are such stickler for detail!!  :) "Get it right the first time huh !!"
I corrected the error. :-[

PEACE
JB
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:43:32 PM by jellybean »

3littlemonkeys

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 08:52:23 AM »
I've been reading following this thread for a while now and have also noticed the"St.". No biggie, anyhow I had read an article this past weekend and I haven't a clue how to post it!!!! Duh!! It was in the National Post on Saturday July 23, no info. on the murder, but an interesting article none the less. If someone has time could they look for it and post it. I have it saved, but can't figure out how to get it on here. Ugh.

3littlemonkeys

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 09:30:34 AM »
Thank you so much, you are too kind. I do understand the copy paste scenerio a bit, but finding it difficult on my mo bile phone. Still seem to be having some trouble so this is the name of the article. "Mystery Brewing Around Dick Oland's Murder", printed in the National Post on Sunday July 24 2011. Again no new info on the actual murder, but jammed packed full of Dick's characteristics, and the types of relationships he had. Again thank you so much for your help. Be well.

Trouble445

• Worse than ignorance...... is indifference.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 09:34:29 AM »
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/07/24/mystery-brewing-around-dick-olands-murder/

That the one 3littlemonkeys? Just click on the link and it takes you straight to article.

very interesting.....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:37:47 AM by Trouble445 »

3littlemonkeys

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 10:07:54 AM »
Thank you, that's it.

I grew up and still live in this wonderful community, Dick Oland was a quiet part of our society but the issues surrounding him and his family have always been "talked" about.  Hopefully the Saint John Blue Boys can get this figured out, maybe they already have? Time will tell.

amIam

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 02:57:13 PM »
Thanks Trouble445 for posting the link to 3littlemonkeys request.  Hope you don't mind that I copied and pasted the article..certainly an interesting read.  Thank you!

Trouble445

• Worse than ignorance...... is indifference.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 12:20:08 AM »
Thanks amIam for posting the whole thing, much appreciated.

3littlemonkeys

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 06:57:13 PM »
It has now been 3 weeks since the murder of Dick Oland and still no info on who or how. The homes of both Dick and his son Dennis seem to be rid of security.
Dennis' home formerly owned by his grandfather, P.W Oland, also doubles as a local pony club. It seems to be up and running, almost like nothing ever happened. I do hope that this case is on it's way to being solved.
Also, I've been reading many different posts and am very touched and saddened by ALL of these stories.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »
http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/07/28/murder-and-a-maritime-dynasty/

This is a great article, but too long to post on here.

So I am quoting a portion of it. He was a hard driven man, and had plenty of enemies, so it appears.

Murder and a maritime dynasty
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:54:29 PM by jellybean »

3littlemonkeys

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 07:49:35 PM »
I read this article earlier today(not able to post it, I rely on my mobile phone for internet service and can't figure out how to copy and paste on the darn thing). I feel saddened by the way Mr.Oland has been portrayed in the last 2 articles written since his death. He was the victim of a henious crime, I myself am driven and like things done when I want them done, and the way I want them done. This man was an officer of the Order of Canada. He has done many good (great) things. I hope all of the great things he had accomplished can overshadow the negative attributes of his personality. May his soul rest in peace, and may his family find comfort on the good that Dick did.

3littlemonkeys

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 07:55:56 AM »
We, here in the heart of Rothesay remain in the dark, the info. we have been given is vague. It would appear that Dicks son had a hand in this tradgedy, but it has all been speculation by the public. It would be my guess that the police are searching for some evidence (hopefully processing it at this time) from the items they removed from the sons home where he lives with his second wife Lisa Ferguson (Andrik). The police searched a boat at the RKYC that was "registered" to her, and searched the waters below. There has been no word on that search or any of the others in weeks. I could only hope the police know who did it and are trying to make a bullet proof case. I'll let you know if anything is printed in our local news papers.
Btw, this is a great site, you all seem to be so informed and extremely dedicated. Great job:)

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 09:20:33 AM »
Thank you for your kind words. It is a great site, we can try and give our views and support to some who have great tragedy happening in their lives. We just want to get the cases solved, because there are so many. I guess you could say we are armchair detectives. Hoping the police do solve Dick's homicide, a very tragic ending for a well known and kind and generous man, according to many.  :o :o :o :o :o :o

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »
3littlemonkeys, Thank you for keeping us abreast as to the mood in your area, and your first hand reports.  Much appreciated.
Re: The McLeans article which I posted, shows that he was a very complicated man. And the history of the well to do in your area  is a fascinating study.
For such a small city, you have many longstanding families who were builders of pillar stones of society not only in your city, but they have contributed to Canada.

JB
ps.Apart from removing documents,  I think the police are also  looking for the ax.