Author Topic: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John  (Read 452939 times)

RubyRose

• View Profile
Re: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John
« Reply #1710 on: November 23, 2018, 03:05:57 PM »
I attempted to copy and paste the article from the link, Have Faith, but it appears to be set up in such a way that it doesn't  permit  that function.  I assume reason being so that non-subscribers cannot have access to it that way either.  A bit odd because it's showing that it can be shared on Facebook, Twitter, etc but I suppose that's all considered part of the mainstream media.  I've had no similar difficulties copying articles in the past from other newspapers so I'm really not sure.

There were two articles that same day on the jury screening subject  but so far I haven't been able to locate the other one again.  I expect it's likely set up the same way.  Too bad because some of the legal opinions put forth were quite interesting.

Sorry.  I really would like to help if I could.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: November 23, 2018, 08:53:19 PM »
Thank you very much for trying Ruby.

I also tried to read an article in today's Chronicle Herald--so frustrating to get cut off.  The headline was "N.B. Police Commission to probe jury vetting in Dennis Oland's murder case. It is amazing that the Crown could be unaware of this practice over the years. If it is proven that they were aware, I can't imagine the fallout.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: November 24, 2018, 05:09:24 AM »
I suspect it happens much more than we know.  After this latest fiasco, despite my personal feelings on his guilt or innocence,  i  don't, in good conscience, think Dennis should be convicted. 

This is from the CBC New Brunswick website. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/jury-dismissals-oland-mistrial-1.4918982

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: December 13, 2018, 06:20:36 PM »
https://globalnews.ca/news/4708717/dennis-oland-retrial-2/

A good read.  What a mess of the murder scene, etc./jb

More people who attended the grisly murder scene of Richard Oland took the witness stand at the second-degree murder trial of Oland's son Dennis. As Andrew Cromwell reports, the defence continues to attack the actions of the Saint John Police Department.
- A A +
Listen

Under cross-examination by lawyer Jamie McConnell, paramedics,
Comeau and Wall said police didn’t instruct them on how to proceed into the office, offer protective clothing or ask for their footwear upon leaving.
Funeral directors Charlene MacDonald and Adam Holly helped with the removal of Oland’s body from the office to the morgue and gave testimony on Wednesday.

The timing of follow-up police interviews was part of the defence’s questioning of each witness.
The court was told that interviews were conducted with the paramedics 16 months after the body was first discovered while it was three years for the funeral directors.

The defense will really go after that jacket, imo.  How
 was it stored - who stored it -how long did it take to have it tested?.  How was it transported to the testing facility? yada yada

jb
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 06:59:39 PM by jellybean »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: December 14, 2018, 01:34:49 PM »

The question as to why there was no testimony at the trial from the witness who heard "loud yelling" coming from the area of DO's office at 7:30pm has been answered. Police did not follow up with her until five years later. Of course her testimony of the time would not coincide with Dennis being at Oland's office.

Gold questioning lead investigator Davidson:

He argued police didn't follow up on possible leads and didn't follow basic police academy training at the scene.

When police canvassed the area on July 8, 2011, a woman told them she had heard "loud yelling" the night Oland was killed. She said she heard the noise around 7:30 p.m., while walking on Princess Street, between Canterbury and Germain streets, said Gold.

But police did not follow up with her until Sept. 21, 2017 and never conducted a formal interview with her, he said. Instead, Davidson got a statement from her via email on Oct. 16, 2017.

"The point of canvassing was to see if people saw or heard anything relevant to the beating death of Richard Oland, right? Right?" asked Gold.

Davidson agreed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-retrial-investigator-davidson-1.4943480

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: December 16, 2018, 04:42:16 PM »
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/dennis-oland-murder-trial-focuses-on-his-father-s-missing-iphone-1.4214796

Dennis Oland murder trial focuses on his father's missing iPhone

see video.

jb

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: December 17, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »

The question as to why there was no testimony at the trial from the witness who heard "loud yelling" coming from the area of DO's office at 7:30pm has been answered. Police did not follow up with her until five years later. Of course her testimony of the time would not coincide with Dennis being at Oland's office.

Gold questioning lead investigator Davidson:

He argued police didn't follow up on possible leads and didn't follow basic police academy training at the scene.

When police canvassed the area on July 8, 2011, a woman told them she had heard "loud yelling" the night Oland was killed. She said she heard the noise around 7:30 p.m., while walking on Princess Street, between Canterbury and Germain streets, said Gold.

But police did not follow up with her until Sept. 21, 2017 and never conducted a formal interview with her, he said. Instead, Davidson got a statement from her via email on Oct. 16, 2017.

"The point of canvassing was to see if people saw or heard anything relevant to the beating death of Richard Oland, right? Right?" asked Gold.

Davidson agreed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-retrial-investigator-davidson-1.4943480

Not sure what actually is going on here, Have Faith, as there was information available to the Defence of such a witness during the preliminary hearing prior to Dennis' first trial in 2015 but they still did not choose to have her testify. (I never understood why, quite frankly).  She had been publicly identified previously in one of the Halifax newspapers but quite obviously refused comment.  It will be interesting to see if she testifies this time.  I haven't bothered to follow the trial in much detail this time because so much is just a rehash of the last one with little or no new information being revealed but from what bit I have seen I'd say the Defence is doing a much better job this time around.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: December 26, 2018, 02:58:15 PM »

Lead investigator grilled at Dennis Oland trial about mystery sticky notes, other leads

Dennis Oland's retrial on a charge of second-degree murder heard new details Thursday about evidence found in a wooded area on Saint John's west side more than a month after his father Richard Oland was killed.
A man called police on Aug. 24, 2011, about some pieces of paper he found beside his residence with the victim's nickname, Dick, written onDefence lawyer Alan Gold raised the issue during his pointed cross-examination of lead investigator Const. Stephen Davidson about the adequacy of the Saint John Police Force's homicide investigation.

Davidson met with the man and searched the property for any other evidence but said he didn't test the weathered notes for fingerprints because he didn't see the value, given their deteriorated condition.

The yellow sticky notes also included the names of his father, Philip Oland, brother Derek Oland, the executive chairman of Moosehead Breweries, and his great-great-grandmother Susannah Oland, the matriarch of the beer-making family, the courtroom heard.

Gold suggested a hair was stuck to one of the notes and asked Davidson it was ever forensically tested. Davidson argued it wasn't clear it if was hair or lint, but said it wasn't sent for testing.
He acknowledged he didn't show the papers to the victim's secretary, Maureen Adamson, or business associate Robert McFadden to see if they recognized the handwriting or to ask if the multimillionaire used that type of sticky notes in his daily work.
"There was absolutely no followup to these pieces of papers that were found, correct?" asked Gold.
"Correct," replied Davidson.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 02:46:10 PM by jellybean »

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: January 08, 2019, 06:23:54 AM »
This might be of interest to those who may still be following this trial.  The testimony was not part of the original  trial and perhaps may be relevant?  The building and garage where the break in occurred would have been on the street that runs parallel to Canterbury Street and approx one block from Mr. Oland's former office.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-trial-saint-john-1.4968298
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:03:08 AM by RubyRose »

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 08, 2019, 12:43:27 PM »
This might be of interest to those who may still be following this trial.  The testimony was not part of the original  trial and perhaps may be relevant?  The building and garage where the break in occurred would have been on the street that runs parallel to Canterbury Street and approx one block from Mr. Oland's former office.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-trial-saint-john-1.4968298

Thanks Ruby. The more I read about the SJP, the less I trust them. I hope that claw hammer was tested for blood, and that the blood in the sink was tested for a DNA comparison to RO and DO. The killer's blood could be included. smh

"The defence has asked for new disclosure after the testimony of a retired Saint John police officer Monday at Dennis Oland's murder retrial in the death of his father more than seven years ago.

Former staff sergeant Mike King testified that on July 8, 2011 — the day after Richard Oland's bludgeoned body was discovered in his office at 52 Canterbury St. — officers called him to a possible related incident at a nearby apartment building at 147 Germain St.

The glass of the back door had been broken, there was blood in the sink and they found an old, small "claw hammer" in an open garage, said King.

King, a former roofer who had observed "the holes in the top of [the victim's] head," believed a roofer's hatchet, also known as a drywall hammer, may have been used to kill him, the court heard.

The major crime unit investigated the break-in and determined it occurred after the Oland homicide and was unrelated, said King.

But lead defence lawyer Alan Gold told the court it was the first time the defence or Crown had heard about the incident and pointed out King didn't know how investigators made that determination.

King could not say, for example, how soon after the homicide it occurred or whether they tested the blood to see if it matched Oland's, said Gold."

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 10, 2019, 05:14:19 PM »

Court testimony has been revealed which the defense allege are further examples of police "tunnel vision".  I certainly have to agree.

- Saint John Liberal MLA Gerry Lowe told police he was across the street at Thandi restaurant on either July 6, 2011, or July 5, 2011, some time after 7:30 p.m., when he saw someone exit 52 Canterbury St. Retired constable Keith Copeland testified Wednesday he interviewed Lowe on July 8 but didn't attempt to clarify whether he saw someone exiting the building on July 5 or July 6. The defense then presented the court with time-stamped security video showing Lowe entering Thandi's on July 6, 2011, at 7:40 p.m. and exiting at 8:35 p.m. Based on this timeline, Dennis was not the last person to leave RO's office the night he was killed, yet LE ignored this credible witness statement.

- Lawyer Alan Gold told the Saint John courtroom the defence intends to present evidence the Oland family offered a reward two months after Richard Oland was killed for information leading to the arrest of his killer. But the response of then-chief Bill Reid was: "It would not be proper for us to issue this reward because … we know Dennis did it," Gold alleged.

- Gold said although investigators believed the killer would have had a significant amount of blood on him or her, they were able to "ignore the absence of substantial spatter" on the brown sports jacket Oland was wearing when he visited his father on the night he was killed.  (this has always bothered me).

They "suffered from what we call 'disconfirmation bias,'" he argued. "A psychologist would understand this. They already had their theory and any evidence inconsistent with the theory would receive short shrift," while evidence that supported it was "overvalued."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-retrial-saint-john-police-1.4970820

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 11, 2019, 12:19:11 AM »
A few more tidbits from the trial this week... the aforementioned Chief Reid as it turns out is also good buddies with now retired Insp. McCluskey, who testified today and actually showed up to court with the now retired Chief Reid by his side. McCluskey tried to refute another other police officer's testimony that McCluskey had asked him to lie about his presence at the crime scene, and also denied that he had made a 'Scenic tour', so to speak, of the crime scene on his second visit. He also denied that he sat on any of the furniture in the office, something a different officer had previously testified had happened.

Another police officer who testified today claimed that he had seen Constable Davidson at the crime scene check the back entrance door, questioned Davidson about the door, and was told by him that it was indeed locked. He had not mentioned this interaction with Davidson when he testified in the first trial, but claimed that he had remembered this after that trial as his memory had been jigged by the post-trial uproar over police handling of the crime scene. However after he said this today, the defense lawyer told him that all of the evidence they had gathered from other police reports, and to which the prosecution agreed, stated the testifying officer was NEVER at the crime scene at the same time as this Davidson. In other words, he was caught in a blatant lie. This is the state of Saint John's finest at the moment.

I would not be surprised if the defence requests the Judge dismiss the case because of the rampant incompetency of the police investigation and obvious perjury committed by at least one of the police officers noted above.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:25:02 AM by BaySailor »

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 11, 2019, 11:02:26 AM »
Bay Sailor, just for clarification, it was former Chief John Bates (who likely would have had little, if any, involvement in the Oland investigation who accompanied McCloskey to Court) not former Chief Bill Reid.  It was also Bates who was chief at the time of the first trial and filed the complaint with the Police Commission following King's testimony.  Regarding McCloskey's testimony, I find the testimony of King and Oram far more credible.  I always believed King (and much of what he said has since been confirmed by the investigators) and can really think of no reason why Oram would have concocted the story of McCloskey sitting on the desk, etc etc at the crime scene.

BaySailor

• View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 11, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »
Bay Sailor, just for clarification, it was former Chief John Bates (who likely would have had little, if any, involvement in the Oland investigation who accompanied McCloskey to Court) not former Chief Bill Reid.  It was also Bates who was chief at the time of the first trial and filed the complaint with the Police Commission following King's testimony.  Regarding McCloskey's testimony, I find the testimony of King and Oram far more credible.  I always believed King (and much of what he said has since been confirmed by the investigators) and can really think of no reason why Oram would have concocted the story of McCloskey sitting on the desk, etc etc at the crime scene.

Thanks you very much for that correction RubyRose. I am with you on King and Oram, and feel so sorry for King- the position he was put in must have been awfully difficult to deal with, and I was sad seeing him break down on the stand. Clearly this has been eating him up by times. McCloskey gives the impression of being a real self-serving b*****d, loss of son not withstanding. 

blueriver

• View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 13, 2019, 08:18:21 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I agree with both of you regarding the police and do feel sorry for King and Oram.
The defense is doing their best to state the killer left by
The back door and the police can’t remember if the door was locked. Not being a
Resident, Thandi’s video camera caught Dennis leaving by the front door only once? Did it
catch him entering three times? And did Thandi’s video camera catch the person
this Lowe person saw leaving at 7:30 pm? Not understanding exactly where the
Camera faced exactly, it’s a bit confusing. I am also rusty on the times etc.