Author Topic: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John  (Read 443451 times)

Trouble445

• Worse than ignorance...... is indifference.
    • View Profile
Re: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »
RubyRose I remember in previous years that all old buildings in this area, NS and NB had "Fire Axes" in a glass case on the walls of the halls in case of fire.
Could it be a case of the weapon  already being there?  I know my old school and the Hospital had many of these on the walls for fire reasons.
Also guys, they make some pretty small axes these day, not as long or heavy as they used to be. Could have been carried in a back pack/duffel bag or briefcase for that matter.
I previously worked for a company that made very small axes for camping that were only 10" long and handles were made of lightweight plastic polymer.
When people think of axes they usually think of the long heavy woodsman axes for splitting wood but there are many smaller axes on the market.

The news of a possible family member being investigated will be so hard on the widow and other family members and friends on top of the grief of losing Mr Oland.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »
Yes, Trouble445.  This is a very old building, as are most along that street, and might very well still have a fire axe in the glass case on a wall or walls. 

I agree.  One cannot begin to imagine what that family is going through.  Devastating enough to lose Mr. Oland in that manner without another family member being under suspicion.

amIam

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 02:18:24 PM »
And this:

A police search of a wooded area next to a ball field in Saint John. N.B., is believed to be linked to the investigation into the death of Richard Oland, a well-known entrepreneur and philanthropist.

According to radio station CHSJ in Saint John, police have been combing the area since 9 a.m. Friday.

On Thursday, cops executed a search warrant at a home in the suburb where Oland lived, but wouldn't confirm reports that the home belongs to his son, Dennis.

Sgt. Glenn Hayward said the force's major crimes unit executed a warrant at 58 Gondola Point Rd. in the Saint John suburb of Rothesay.

Oland, 69, was found dead in his Saint John office last Thursday.

Police initially called his death suspicious, and on Monday said they were treating it as a homicide. 

Police have revealed little information, and have refused to confirm a report that Oland was bludgeoned in the head with an axe.

Oland was a former executive at Moosehead Breweries, but left his family's business in the 1980s to venture into the transportation industry. He sat on several boards in his community and was a competitive sailor with his boat, Vela Veloce.

Oland was appointed an officer of the Order of Canada in 1998 for his dedication "to the creation of cultural and recreational opportunities for his region."

Oland's homicide has rattled Saint John and Rothesay, where he lived.

Rothesay Mayor William Bishop said the death came as a shock.

"It's something we don't expect in this community," Bishop said Wednesday.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2011/07/14/18420871.html

amIam

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 01:02:40 PM »
Am curious as to whether or not, Rothesay/ Gondola Point area is policed by Saint John police.  I was of the opinion Gondola Point was covered by another LE..could be incorrect.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 01:27:34 PM »
No, amIam, these areas are not policed by Saint John police.  Rothesay Regional Police have confirmed they are not involved in this investigation.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
The murder occurred in Saint John so I wouldn't think there would be any reason for the Rothesay Police to be involved in the actual investigation which would include the searches of any houses or properties.  No doubt there would likely be some degree of co-operation between the two forces if this were required.  As for the RCMP, unless there is much more to this than we know of so far (and indeed there very well could be because everything to this point is still pure speculation), I can't think of any reason why they would be brought in at all.

I would be surprised if an arrest were made this quickly. 

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 04:58:15 PM »
"Police have revealed little information, and have refused to confirm a report that Oland was bludgeoned in the head with an axe."  
Question? When police refuse to "confirm" a statement is suspicious to me. If an axe was not involved, what would they have to lose to refute it? JMO
They are checking in the woods of his son's property, and surrounding area -looking for the weapon no doubt? JMO

JB

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 02:42:07 PM »
I really don't find it strange, amIam.  Since Saint John police are in charge of the investigation, I would expect them also to be in charge of any searches, etc  I would think this would be with the full co-operation of the Rothesay Regional Police & I'm sure it is.  (No.  They are not a small, volunteer police force - small, maybe but they have a good track record as do the Saint John police, for that matter).

I don't particularly feel the RCMP should be brought in unless there are elements of the case of which we are not aware.  I'm quite confident that members of both the Saint John & Rothesay police would at least be capable of recognizing a stapler when they see one.  Perhaps I'm being unfair since I also believe most of the general population would be able to as well.

I may stand to be corrected on this but I believe that the ball field area which was searched does fall within the boundaries of the city of Saint John.

I guess only time will tell what will happen with the case next.  For the sake of everone in Mr. Oland's family, I hope there will be some resolution soon.

amIam

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 01:20:30 PM »

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 01:28:09 PM »
The building was not under renovation to my knowledge, amIam.  It is an older building and Mr. Oland rented office space on the second floor.  There is a printing business on the lower floor and the owner of that business also owns the building.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 02:03:07 PM »
I agree with what Allen Doyle and Michael Boudreau say in the news story quoted above.  I think it is unfortunate that much (whether the stories are accurate or not) has already been revealed.  In my opinion (for what it's worth) it only hurts the investigation and makes things that much more difficult for the Oland family.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2011, 07:45:19 PM »
Heard on CBC, that there was one Yacht which the detectives were going over and it belonged to Mr. Oland's daugher-in-law.

JB