Author Topic: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John  (Read 441572 times)

Mom

• I will always protect my child.
    • View Profile
Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John
« on: July 12, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:56:18 PM by Mom »

Mom

• View Profile
Re: Richard (Dick) Oland | Murdered | 69 | Saint John
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:55:03 PM »

Interesting quality and quantity of information we receive for this case compared to some of the other ones we ponder about.... eh?

• bludgeoned to death with an axe
  • was found murdered last Thursday at his desk
  • there is no evidence at this time to suggest that this was a robbery or a random act

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 08:14:31 PM »
Okay, I read it , and I will take the big quantum leap and suggest a family member. The detectives may have soon have this solved. How did this person get past security (cameras). He or she was familiar with the lay of the land, and had been there before. I mean to smuggle an ax into  the premises, this person must have worn a long garment. Also Richard trusted this person. He (Richard) was relaxed around this individual - was totally unsuspecting as to the fate that met him.
JMO

JB
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:22:54 PM by jellybean »

Mom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:47:52 PM »

Yes, I think so too, Jellybean.

This sentence is all too telling:

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 07:53:43 PM »
http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/canada/article/914019--richard-oland-victim-of-homicide-police-say

Richard Oland victim of homicide, police say

Published: July 12, 2011 9:55 a.m.

SAINT JOHN, N.B. - The death of businessman Richard Oland, who was a scion of a well-known Maritimes beer-brewing family, is being investigated as a homicide that police in New Brunswick don't believe involved robbery or was a random act.

Oland's body was found in his Canterbury Street office in Saint John on Thursday, at which point police described his death as suspicious. He was 69.

Saint John police said Monday they've determined Oland was the victim of foul play but they declined to say how he died.

"Preliminary results of the autopsy coupled with evidence at the scene clearly indicate Richard Oland was a victim of foul play," police Chief Bill Reid said in a statement.

"There is no evidence at this time to suggest that this was a robbery or a random act.

"We are collectively committed to bringing anyone involved in Richard Oland's death to justice. ... Grieving family and friends need answers to the question, 'Who is responsible?'"

Reid told a news conference that investigators believe Oland knew the person responsible for his death.

"I would suggest to you that at the end of this investigation we'll find that the perpetrator and the victim knew each other," he said. "There was an acquaintance there."

Annastaisha

• "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 08:00:44 AM »
An axe is not a preferred weapon choice. This sounds personal and full of rage and hatred :( And definately like someone close to him. I pray for the family that not only must deal with his untimely and cruel death but also the knowledge of who did this.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »
I suggest that it was a woman!! Why? Womens clothing, skirt, dress, could hide an ax.
I would look at a family member who is mentally unstable.
PEACE
JB
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:17:53 PM by jellybean »

Annastaisha

• "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 01:36:44 PM »
Good theory but an axe is dependant on physical strength to swing and do damage to the target. Its also very messy so  there must be people who have seen something as an attacker could not have left without making a mess. What about a man in a trench coat? Or, a hatchet rather than an axe - carried in a briefcase?

Mom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »

Reid said the sheer amount of evidence was partly to blame for the delay in ruling the death a "homicide."

That's odd.... only that first news report mentioned he was bludgeoned to death with an axe.... and NOW reports say there was a delay in ruling the death a homicide.  ??

Those stories, and visuals, are quite contradictory.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 02:26:50 PM »
It should perhaps be pointed out that none of the local news media in Saint John have given any hint as to what was used as a murder weapon in Mr. Oland's death. 

I am not saying it wasn't an axe - simply that police, to this point at least, have not confirmed cause of death other than that it was a homicide and have not made public what type of weapon, if any, was used.

Mom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 07:43:31 PM »

Hey Ruby... I too have noticed that it has only been the ONE source (that I know of) here in Guelph, Ontario that reported Mr. Oland being bludgeoned to death by an axe.  In my original post, and the intent of posting this crime, was to show the contradictory of the amount and kind of information that was reported in Mr. Oland's case compared to many, many of the other threads on this forum.

It's interesting.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 03:08:38 AM »
The Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail have also reported it that way, Mom.   For obvious reasons the police aren't commenting on the latest development, so it all remains pure speculation.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 06:50:22 AM »
I heard on the news last night that the police searched Oland's son's house.   I also at one point heard that he was bludgeoned with an axe...

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 07:38:56 AM »
Here is a link to the story in today's Saint John Telegraph Journal regarding the search yesterday by Saint John police of Dennis Oland's property.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/actualites/article/1423692

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 08:40:35 AM »
A poster earlier had questioned how an axe (if indeed that is what was used as the murder weapon) could be smuggled into the premises.  My best guess (and that's all it is) is that it would already have been there.  In my experience, it is not at all unusual to see small business owners, after severe winter storms in Saint John, chopping away at thick ice accumulations on the sidewalks in front of their establishments.  I cannot say I have specifically seen this happen at this business but it is a possibility.