Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: David Brown Missing in Utah since June 29, 2011  (Read 7114 times)

Trouble445

• Worse than ignorance...... is indifference.
    • View Profile
David Brown Missing in Utah since June 29, 2011
« on: July 06, 2011, 04:50:14 AM »
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1251974.html

Halifax, Nova Scotia native missing in Utah
Skydiver’s disappearance perplexes family, friends
By DAVENE JEFFREY Staff Reporter

A network of extreme adventurists is trying to find their friend David Brown, a Halifax native who has been missing for a week in Utah.

The professional skydiver, 37, was last seen at his home in Moab Utah, last Thursday afternoon.

"I’m really worried," said his friend and boss Clint MacBeth.

Brown, whom MacBeth describes as a world champion skydiver, had only been working for him at Skydive Moab for the past two months.

The pair had been rooming together. "I’m really confused," MacBeth said. "I don’t know where he is or why he left."

Brown’s sister, Wendi Tekamp, has been spearheading the search for her brother.

MacBeth said the family is trying to control the spread of information in the case and he did not want to comment on where and when he last saw Brown.

MacBeth was the last person to see Brown, but he referred any questions about Brown’s disappearance to Tekamp, who could not be reached before press time at 9 p.m.

According to CBC-TV, Brown’s family filed a missing person’s report with Moab police Saturday. Police conducted a ground search Sunday, with no luck.

MacBeth first met Brown, who has about 13,000 jumps under his belt, about 12 years ago.

Family and friends have been circulating a poster with a photo of Brown, as well as his description. It urges anyone who may have seen him to contact the Moab Police Department.

He is six feet tall and 180 pounds, with green eyes and dark brown hair. He has four tattoos — a black bat on his left shoulder, as well as a hummingbird, an alien head and a moustache, all on his back. He was last seen wearing shorts, a T-shirt and black sneakers.

Brown is described as a popular member of the skydiving community and well-loved by all who know him.

When Brown left his residence, he left behind his belongings, including his driver’s licence, Canadian passport, green card, credit card and cash.

According to CBC-TV, Brown has been living in America for the past decade. The last time his family heard from him was Wednesday and he hasn’t updated any of his social media sites in about a week.

Word of Brown’s disappearance is spreading over the Internet and among the skydiving community.

CBC’s report said that some people are sending small planes and a helicopter to do an aerial search around his home.

Moab’s unique geography and red rock formations draw tourists and extreme adventurers from around the world.

Photo link here:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/story_large/stories/photos/07-06-11_FB_DaveBrown_0.jpg
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:53:01 AM by Trouble445 »

Trouble445

• View Profile
Re: David Brown Missing in Utah since June 29, 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 07:54:27 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/07/08/ns-missing-skydiver-update.html

Family joins search for N.S. skydiver
CBC News
Posted: Jul 8, 2011 9:39 PM AT
Last Updated: Jul 8, 2011 9:39 PM AT

Concern continues to grow over the fate of a Halifax man missing in Utah.

David Brown, 37, has not been seen for more than a week.

Brown, a competitive skydiver, disappeared June 29 from his home in Moab, Utah. He had been teaching at a skydiving school in the small town.

He left his house with no belongings, no ID and no money.

His sister Wendi Tekamp, who is also from Halifax, and Brown's uncle arrived in Moab two days ago to help with the search.

Tekamp said police have been very helpful. She said dog teams were searching the foothills near his home again Friday.

'He's walked out literally with his shoes on his feet and his shirt on his back.'— Wendi Tekamp, Brown's sister

But she explained the heat is a big concern if Brown is out somewhere and injured in the desert.

"If you're out here in the heat and the sun for like a couple of days and you've fallen, you've broken your leg or something, it's not going to be a good situation," she told CBC News Friday.

"It just gives me even more concern that he's walked out literally with his shoes on his feet and his shirt on his back."

She said Brown's friends from the skydiving community have also arrived to help search, and two powered paragliders are expected from Phoenix, Ariz., to do aerial searches.

Tekamp said she and the uncle soon have to leave; they plan to fly out Saturday night.

But after talking to police and Brown's friends, she feels that everything possible is being done to find her brother.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:53:21 AM by Trouble445 »

Trouble445

• View Profile
Re: David Brown Missing in Utah since June 29-30, 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 12:14:23 PM »
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1252711.html

Paragliders join search for skydiver
Friends comb desert for Halifax native missing in Utah
By BILL POWER Staff Reporter
Sun, Jul 10 - 4:54 AM

The search continued in a Utah desert Saturday for missing Halifax native David Brown, 10 days after the skydiver disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

"More friends from the skydiving community will arrive today to continue the search," Wendi TeKamp said from Moab where her brother went missing in late June.

In an email, TeKamp said volunteers are coming from as far away as Australia to join the search for her missing 37-year-old brother.

Three motorized paragliders had just arrived from Phoenix, she said.

"They are connected to Dave through the skydiving community and are offering their resources to fly over the foothills . . . to locate any possible sign."

The paragliders took off at dawn on Saturday and circled the foothills near the town, swooping as low as 10 metres from the scrubby desert to inspect areas of interest.

Whenever clues were detected the paragliding team from the company Paradrenalin called in police search teams on ATVs.

However, TeKamp said the paragliders found no evidence of the man and were forced to cease operations in mid-morning as temperatures reached levels that made flying unsafe.

They had plans to resume Sunday.

The Moab Police Department’s search effort has received backup from the Grand County Sheriff’s Office and Grand County Search and Rescue, renowned among rescue units around the world for the techniques they’ve developed to deal with the area’s harsh terrain.

Several units from the Rocky Mountain Rescue Dogs were brought in Friday. They searched around the craggy foothills outside the community of about 10,000 residents without success.

Brown was last spotted walking along a road on the outskirts of Moab in the afternoon of June 29. His driver’s licence, wallet and other belongings, including some cash and identification, were found at his home.

He arrived in Moab about two months ago to teach skydiving.

Brown is a champion competitive skydiver and a Canadian citizen who has worked in the United States for about 10 years.

Friends and family members, many of them in Nova Scotia, have set up a Facebook page to provide updates. They have also established a PayPal site to accept donations to help finance the search.

The mountain foothills on the outskirts of Moab and waterways in the area are described as potentially treacherous by local officials. Police have also said the intense heat is a major concern if the man is still in the desert near the community.

According to officials with the Grand County Sheriff’s Office, quoted Friday in the Moab Times-Independent, people with broken ankles and legs are regularly retrieved from difficult-to-access locations in the area.

Just last week a series of serious injuries prompted law enforcement and rescue personnel to issue a joint warning about visitors and locals diving into shallow-water pools from ledges about five metres above the waterfalls in the Left Hand Canyon and Mill Creek areas.

Moab’s unique red-rock formations attract photographers and extreme adventurers from around the world.

An employee at the Moab Valley Inn, where friends and family members of Brown are congregating, said the entire community was talking about Brown’s disappearance and are concerned about his welfare. With The Associated Press

( bpower@herald.ca)

superbee

• View Profile
Re: David Brown Missing in Utah since June 29-30, 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 04:12:27 PM »
This is really weird, and happening often.  People just disappearing, literally into thin air.  Madison Scott near Vanderhoof at the end of May, Tyler Walton in Williams Lake a couple of years ago, just in BC.  How can people literally disappear?

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »
Perhaps his family should be questioned, and they probably already have, as to why he would leave to wander off into the desert.
Question one -his frame of mind that day, ie: was there a family argument?
Question two - was he taking any prescribed drugs at the time.
Question three- was he depressed and did he show any suicidal tendencies.
Question four -or is the  given explanation as to his disappearing - just wandered off hold true? This is not making any sense to me. So far, in my opinion, we are being deflected, by the number of searches, etc, etc.
 PEACE
JB
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:32:35 PM by jellybean »

BellasMom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 06:37:44 PM »
I think I read somewhere that he was living in trailer on his bosses property??  Anyone else recall reading that somewhere??  He had been living in that area for a couple of months, he must have known how dangerous it was to go out for an extended walk about in that heat without proper provisions.  I will see if I can find the link about where he was living.  I wish we knew more about his state of mind before he disappeared. 
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/05/utah.missing.skydiver/
Macbeth is his boss and apparently his roomie.  Doesn't sound too good.   :(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:49:19 PM by BellasMom »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »
Question - Why would this so called "famous sky-diver" be living in a trailer?? And he doesn't even own it?
Sounds to me that he had financial problems.

peace
jb
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:15:50 PM by jellybean »

Trouble445

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 11:41:22 PM »
JB to answer your questions:
Question one -his frame of mind that day, ie: was there a family argument?
No, his family is in Nova Scotia and his GF was visiting Vegas on a trip so no argument with family. Now whether he had an argument with his new Boss is another question I do not have the answer to.
Question two - was he taking any prescribed drugs at the time.
I doubt he was taking any depression meds as he was rumored to be a very outgoing happy person by all that knew him. He was extremely well liked by all that ever met him. Also I doubt that he would be able to skydive if he had any serious health issues, you have to be physically fit if I am not mistaken.
Question three- was he depressed and did he show any suicidal tendencies.
JB see answers above.
Question four -or is the  given explanation as to his disappearing - just wandered off hold true? This is not making any sense to me. So far, in my opinion, we are being deflected, by the number of searches, etc, etc.
JB Him wandering off does not make sense, he was last know to have talked to his NEW Boss....no belongings, no ID and no money taken with him either, I at least carry some ID and a small amount of money with me even on a walk.... he didn`t...Hhmmmmmm.

He had just started working for this guy and may have been looking for a permanent place to live, such as a house or Apt. I did not hear anything about any money problems. he was very well respected and would have had no problem finding loads of work due to his experience.

I have a bad feeling about this and do not think he is lost while out on a walk. I suspect foul play is involved. I hope I am wrong but......

superbee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 01:43:05 AM »
I am very concerned about him.  Praying he is found safe and sound. 

Annastaisha

• "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 08:06:11 AM »
I, like you Trouble, carry stuff with me when I go for a walk. Housekeys and cell phone always and half the time I carry my ID with me. I spent too long reading about crimes and figure my driver's licence tucked into my bra will perhaps save me from being unidentified HR should something bad happen to me.

BellasMom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 06:58:55 AM »
I think foul play as well, this story just doesn't add up if what we have learnt is true.  I think they need to look closer at his boss.  He was the last person to see him correct?? 

Trouble445

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 10:24:27 AM »
BellasMom,
If reports are true the new boss, MacBeth, was the last to "talk" to David Brown.
Brown was last spotted walking along a road on the outskirts of Moab in the afternoon of June 29
It is not reported "who" the person was the one that saw Brown walking along the road.
MacBeth said the family is trying to control the spread of information in the case and he did not want to comment on where and when he last saw Brown.
MacBeth seems to be keeping pretty quiet about this incident and the circumstances of his last meeting with Brown, at least publically, hopefully the police have gotten more information regarding Brown's movements on that last day.

BellasMom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
Has anyone been able to find out anything about him being a world champion other than being reported in his missing articles?  I found a group he belongs to but he hasnt posted anything in quite a while..  Just wondering where the 'World Champion' title came from.  You would think there would be more information about him.

Trouble445

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 09:40:49 PM »
http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/front/article/1424110

'Family is sick with worry'
Published Saturday July 16th, 2011

A responsible, fun-loving guy who loves his family - that's how Fredericton resident Heather Brown describes her nephew David Brown, and that's why his disappearance is out of character.

Heather Brown, aunt of missing Halifax man David Brown, says she last saw her nephew at Christmas with other relatives in Fredericton. Heather Brown is seen clutching a family photo.

"When you say David's name, you just automatically smile because you think of him," she said.

"He's well liked and so well respected among the parachuting community. He's very laid back, and he was going through a separation, but he also had a girlfriend and the guys said everything was normal."

Like the rest of her family, Brown is wondering what happened to the 37-year-old internationally known skydiver from Halifax.

David vanished without a trace from his trailer on the Skydive Moab site in Moab, Utah, on June 29 with nothing but the shoes on his feet and the shirt on his back.

The two-week search hasn't yielded results, but the Moab Police Department told The Daily Gleaner it's still combing the desert looking for clues.

Brown said David's family, which is scattered across the Maritimes with several aunts and uncles living in New Brunswick, appreciates the work the police department has been doing.

"This is just not like him at all," she said.

"Even if he was going to go somewhere, it's not like him not to say well, 'I'm heading to Canada to see my relatives for a week or two, I'll be back whenever.' He was always good that way. So for him to just disappear off the face of the earth doesn't make sense.

"It's like he was picked up out of the sky by aliens. The whole thing is just so strange."

David's wallet, cellphone, a backpack filled with cash and all his personal identification papers were left behind at the motor home he was living in behind the residence of his boss and friend, Clint MacBeth.

MacBeth, who hails from Moncton and opened Skydive Moab in November 2003, was one of the last people to see David before he disappeared.

Although MacBeth wasn't available for an interview with The Daily Gleaner, he told the Desert News in Utah he's been friends with David since 1999 and most people considered him the "life of the party."

"When he worked here, he was amazing with the students," MacBeth told the Desert News.

"He loved the sport of skydiving. He was really genuine. He loved his job. He loved the people. He's a world champion. He's had 13,000-plus skydives in his life."

Family said David had been living in the United States for the last 10 years. He arrived at Skydive Moab eight months ago, and intended to stay until November.

MacBeth told the Utah paper his friend's disappearance has hit him hard.

"I feel hopeless sometimes. He was outside my house and there's not really that many places he could go. I don't have a clue where he's at."

But while the search has been hard on David's friends at the Utah drop zone and his family, Brown said it's been especially hard on David's sister, Wendi TeKamp.

TeKamp has been busy handling media requests while helping with the search since her brother disappeared. Brown said TeKamp just returned to Halifax last week with David's things, unsure what to do with them at this point.

"She's been doing so-so but it's been difficult for her for sure because they were very close," she said.

In an interview with The Daily Gleaner on Thursday night, TeKamp said while she's been overwhelmed by the outpouring of resources from the skydiving community and the Moab police throughout the search, the last two weeks have been difficult.

Although his disappearance has left everyone confused, she said the strangest thing has been the way he's vanished from the social networking sites he frequented.

"He's on Facebook, he's got a few websites, he's got his email account, the whole gamut of online and that all came to a stop on June 29, just shy of noon MST (Mountain Standard Time)," she said.

"It's been surreal. It's been terrible. It's incredibly tragic but yet I'm back in Halifax now and we just continue to remain hopeful that positive news is just around the corner for us.

"We just want to see him out doing what he loves to do and what he excels at and that's jumping out of a plane, as strange as that sounds."

But while the family has been doing what it can to remain positive, Brown said it's difficult because of the number of unknowns in the story and the harsh climate it's being played out in.

"The desert is so grueling and unkind," she said.

"His family is sick with worry and we all love him. We all just want to know that he's OK."

BellasMom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 06:55:52 AM »
thanks for the link.  Looks like Macbeth was the last to see him.  I didnt know he was also from Canada.  I wonder if there was some ego issues?  Strange story, Macbeth hasn't said much.. I think he holds some answers.  IMO

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here