Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Stellarton Police Chief fired  (Read 537 times)

Trouble445

• Worse than ignorance...... is indifference.
    • View Profile
Stellarton Police Chief fired
« on: June 12, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
I believe IMO there is much more to this story that led to his eventual firing: I remember the D. Kingsbury incident and
legal case that followed (WTG goose!) and the other incident of an eviction case where the police chief seriously overstepped
his authority IMO. While I have serious doubts IMO about Landry I can honestly say I have never been
a fan of Amby's. Amby did have many supporters but I was certainly not one of them.
Some officers IMO think they can get away with anything, do anything and cannot be held accountable just
because they wear a badge. I know of many great honest police officers with morals and ethics and also know of many rotten ones
who probably go into the law enforcement to be able to bully and lord it over people, they hide behind the protection of a badge.
Please note this was NOT the New Glasgow police chief but the chief of the neighboring community of Stellarton.
lostlinganer commented on this incident last October 6th 2010 on
the June Hibbs case.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/06/11/ns-ambrose-heighton-final-report.html
Final report released on fired Stellarton police chief
CBC News
Posted: Jun 11, 2011 6:05 PM AT

The final report on the fired Stellarton Police Chief has been released by the Nova Scotia Police Review Board.
The May 26 report found former Stellarton police chief Ambrose Heighton engaged in discreditable conduct
contrary to police act regulations by writing an anonymous letter saying RCMP officers with the Pictou
detachment had taken part in sex parties, among other activities.
This is the same finding as released in an interim report in January by the board.
He was fired in October 2008 after the RCMP officers named in the letter complained to the Stellarton
police commission.
Heighton denied sending the letter to the province's Department of Justice.
The letter also alleged there was drug use among the detachment, a female RCMP officer had an affair
with the wife of another officer, and that some officers stored or used their weapons improperly.
The officers mentioned in the letter were under the supervision of provincial Justice Minister Ross Landry,
who at that time was the RCMP officer in charge of the detachment.
The Pictou detachment was made up of about 35 officers and Landry was in charge of it from 2005 until 2009.
He was elected to the legislature in June 2009 and appointed justice minister shortly after.
Board commissioner Nadine Cooper said both sides in the case now have 30 days to ask for a judicial review.
Meanwhile, lawyers involved in the case will set a date for a hearing to determine whether the decision to
fire Heighton as police chief was appropriate.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1248179.html

Board: Ex-chief broke the rules
Sun, Jun 12 - 4:54 AM

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011-06-10/article-2575892/Review-board-finds-fired-police-chief-engaged-
in-discreditable-conduct/1

Review board finds fired police chief engaged in discreditable conduct
    Published on June 10, 2011

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here