Author Topic: Leah/Lora Sousa | Sept. 1, 1990 | Age 13/36 | Murdered | Cumberland Beach  (Read 65608 times)

Shwa

• View Profile
Im_new_here2 think about it in these terms:

"my son's grandfather" could refer to the father of a divorced spouse where the "in-law" relationship no longer applies.  This is how I thought it was meant to be understood.  It could also refer to a relationship that "Sabra" does not want to be explicit about.

There is no *public* information about a truck, but a murderer, suspecting his vehicle was seen in the area, might well indeed want to get rid of it.  Especially if there was incriminating evidence in it.

So what Sabra is saying makes good sense if it is true.

Sabra

• View Profile
I was never married to my sons father n do not wish to be associated with them in that way. Yes it's true there was no mention of a truck however he did get rid of the truck which could indicate that there was evidence  in the truck. P.s. I have  been told that in cases like this there is no way to know what will Be viewed as helpful info! For that reason I will not leave anything out.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
You got the right idea Sabra, sometimes things that you may not even see as being important are, so it's a good thing not to leave anything out. You never know what will be the one thing that will turn out to be the break police are looking for.

mauvelilac

You know Sabra your thoughts are as good as any the police have come up with at this point. If more people came forward with strange stories like yours, I'd bet we'd solve a lot more murder cases.
Before you came along, I was wondering about Paul Bernardo(Teale). He wasn't into home invasions but he was a bold person and he might have followed them home and just taken it from there. He was relatively good looking so it's not like he wouldn't have blended in. He may have been up there before so he wouldn't have been viewed as a newcomer. He had a personal affinity for young girls.
But I find your story totally credible. There must be a way of coming up with DNA to substantiate him as a suspect. I know the police have been known to follow a suspect and pick up discarded cigarette butts and coffee containers.
BTW, I refer to my late mother as the woman who gave birth to me, so I know where you're coming from.((Hugggs)))))

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
Re: Leah/Lora Sousa | Sept. 1, 1990 | Age 13/36 | Murdered | Cumberland Beach
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 10:37:25 AM »
Has anyone heard anymore about the name on the billboard? I am curious to know if this one has been solved.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 01:18:45 AM »
It's not solved yet no, I don't think the police will annouce if the billboard got them any new tips just yet. I am sure they are looking into everything they have.

buddhachris

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2009, 07:29:10 PM »
I lived two streets over from Leah. She lived on coronation, I grew up on lee ave. Leah was a really nice girl. you would always see her riding her bike through the neighborhood ( very small community ). I had a friend that lived directly across the street from her and we used to cut through her back yard, where her body was found. There were so many people in cumberland beach that weekend. That said, there are two or three people that in my mind at least should have been looked at seriously. As a result of her murder I am now a major true crime fan, especially unsolved cases because it just frustrates me so bad that so many years later the case is still open and there is so little evidence. More than any other case like Zodiac, jack the ripper or even the Kennedy assassination, this one bothers me, and i just have to know.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2009, 12:39:53 AM »
Hello,

Sorry about your friend. Were you just a kid then yourself?

These suspects you have, do you know if they have been checked out? It does seem to me, that the police are working on this again and I think they too have a very good idea who did it, but are just short on proof to satisfy the crown.

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Hey all,

Been off in my own world for a little while doing nothing but not checking this board much. I was sleuthing today via facebook and finally found what was allegedly written on the board a member of the "Who Killed Leah Sousa" group claimed they saw the sign vandalized and it said

"Bondo did it"

Ideas anyone.. Chirs? Mauv?

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 05:05:48 PM »
These dots will eventually all connect, but why the conspiracy of silence around solving a horrendous crime against a young child. This is a way overdue being solved. Anyone that has any information can always call crime stoppers and give their information and they don't even have to identify themselves. If I felt I had any knowledge that would solve a crime like this, I wouldn't sleep at nite. Anyone out there having vital information should at least write it all down and send it to a police officer who they know works on cold cases. At least then they will know they tried to help. Please do the right thing on this before some other person suffers the same fate. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 08:27:03 AM »
I agree, if someone feels that know something regardless of how small they should call crime stoppers or police and give that information sometimes it's the little details that crack the case! I hope this is solved, her poor mother must be exhausted from years of not knowing and trying to recover the memories she simply can not because of the head injury she her self reccieved in this awful crime. I hope the girl can rest in peace one this case is fully cracked open.

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2009, 08:29:37 AM »
Found this article as well from the fall. http://www.orilliatoday.com/orilliatoday/article/120869

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 08:31:03 PM »

This is an article from the link you provided. Thx.

Police mischief charges in ?Sousa? letters
October 24, 2008

Two Orillia men are facing public mischief charges in connection with an investigation into the murder of Leah Sousa.

Officials say the men sent anonymous letters to police in the early and mid-1990s regarding the brutal murder of the Cumberland Beach teen.

?They are long rambling letters that allege a specific individual was involved in the killing,? said OPP Det. Insp. Mark Pritchard, lead investigator in the Sousa case.

Police say the men also provided the OPP with false information in connection with the murder of a woman whose body was discovered in the Nation River, east of Ottawa in 1975.

?They alleged the same individual was involved in both murders,? Pritchard added.

Police ?followed up in depth various times over the years to determine if the contents were true, and who the writer was,? he added.

It was through the use of handwriting analysis and DNA testing that investigators were able to identify the individuals allegedly responsible for the letters.

?They are known to each other,? Pritchard added. ?I think it would be fair to say they collaborated.?

Two Orillia men ? aged 61 and 67 ? are charged with one count each of public mischief.

They have separate court dates, scheduled for November and December.

?This isn?t a well-meaning citizen or citizens who called in a tip that turned out to be incorrect,? Pritchard added. ?These are individuals who deliberately concocted a false story.?

Sousa, 13, was sexually assaulted and bludgeoned with a blunt instrument at her Cumberland Beach home in September of 1990.

She died of massive head injuries.

Her mother, Lora, suffered severe head injuries, but survived the attack.

Police in late August erected billboards along Highway 11 in an attempt to renew interest in the case. They read: ?Do you know who killed Leah Sousa?? and featured a photo of the teen.

In early September, police received a tip that evidence ? possibly the murder weapon ? may have been discarded in a wooden area west of Highway 11, at Cumberland Beach.

Investigators scoured the area but found nothing.

?(The search) helped to get the message out to the public that we are going to follow up everything,? Pritchard said.

Police have fielded ?numerous? tips from the public since the launch of the campaign last month, Pritchard said.

?We cannot stress enough the importance of people coming forward with any information, regardless of how insignificant they deem it to be,? he added.

Anyone with information related to the case can contact police at 1-888-310-1122 or 329-6111.

CrimeStoppers can be reached at 1-800-222-8477.

Woodland

• View Profile
I have a question for anyone that has any inside information not published on this case.

Reports indicate that the brutal assault on Leah took place inside her home.  She was then dragged outside.  There had to be a reason for dragging her outside.

My question is - was she posed after being taken outside?

This is morbid to say the least, however I have a reason for asking.  I first learned of this case earlier this year after a campaign by the OPP to reopen the case.  I called the officer in charge - Detective Pritchard - to point out that the brutality is similar in nature to the Christine Jessop case.  He was very smug when telling me that after running this case through VICAP - which is suppose to flag similar cases - nothing came up even remotely the same as the CJ case.

I pointed out to him that in both cases it was known to family, friends and neighbours in both cases that a male was not living in the household.  His smugness immediately disappeared.

That leaves 3 similarities - the age range, brutality and dynamics of the household.

If she was posed, then that would make 4 similarities.

The OPP is investigating this case - Toronto Police are in charge of the Jessop case.  It has been widely reported time after time that various police forces do not communicate with each other for the benefit of solving cases.  Need I mention the Bernardo-Homolka case?  Bernardo's DNA was sitting on a shelf at the Scarborough Police Station while he was committing more rapes and then murder.

Does anyone know how Leah was found?  I do believe Pritchard would have gone after the Jessop files, maybe nothing was there worth his while to look at any further.  Assuming he was given access to them.

Sleuth

This is a picture of Leah Sousa.