Author Topic: Leah/Lora Sousa | Sept. 1, 1990 | Age 13/36 | Murdered | Cumberland Beach  (Read 67899 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Hi cougar50,

Yes, I think there is a great chance at that. In fact, I would not be surprised if they are working on this right now. I guess in Canada, it can take up to 2 years for DNA resutls to get back. I wish it was faster, more funding should be given.

Cases like this, the police probably give a higher priority too. I hope it does get solved, someone who'd do this needs to be stopped and put in jail now.

Thanks for joining.

jimtaggart20

• View Profile
Re: Leah/Lora Sousa | Sept. 1, 1990 | Age 13/36 | Murdered | Cumberland Beach
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 07:42:56 PM »
Hi the police are working on this at this time, there is big billboard signs up asking for help, thats how i found this and had to let you all know they are working on it,  im shure they have some ideas, i think its someone local, a loner, someone who knew they were there and someone who knows their way around the area and still lives there today, its a matter of time  im shure they will find whoever did this,  it was not random.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Leah/Lora Sousa | Sept. 1, 1990 | Age 13/36 | Murdered | Cumberland Beach
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 04:20:13 AM »
Thanks jimtaggart20, that is great news! I think it is just a matter of time onw that this person is behind bars. It may not have been random. Since they have a billboard up, I am sure there must have been a break in teh case and they are ready to close in.

Sabra

• View Profile
This murder hits very close 2 home 4 me. Not only did I grow up in Cumberland beach, but my sons grandfather is 1 of the main suspects in this case and always has been. the opp is investigating and have even been 2 my mothers house asking questions. I personally feel that my sons grandfather did commit this murder. There are 2 many things that just don't add up. this mans ex told me he confessed 2 her. I was told that he sold a truck that he loved the day after the murder. I was also told that he lied about where he was that night. In addition I was told that his gf at the time had found some bloody clothes and threw them away thinking he had been in a bar fight. On top of all that i was told that he called his daughter that night and was very upset and that he had told her he did a very very bad thing but he wouldn't say what.         This man is very sick and has spent time in jail as well as mental hospitals. The opp has sent dna away 4 testing now we wait n keep our fingers crossed that they get the person(s) who did this so we can all have peace.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
HI Sabra,

Wow that is interesting. I hope the police are aware of all that you mentioned. It would be wonderful if they could test DNA and somehow get a sample from that guy to compare. This case needs to solved.

Does he still live in the area? I get the feeling this case is still a priority so I have confidence if he is the killer, the OPP will get him.

Shwa

• View Profile
This is a weird twist - from today's Barrie Examiner:

Pair charged with mischief in Sousa murder case
Posted By canada news wire
Posted 1 hour ago

The Ontario Provincial Police have charged two men for Public Mischief in connection with the Leah Sousa murder

investigation.

The charges relate to information provided to the OPP by way of anonymous

letters in the early and mid nineties about the murder of Leah Sousa in

Cumberland Beach, Ontario in September, 1990. The individuals also provided

the OPP with information in connection with the Nation River Lady homicide in

which the body of an unidentified female was discovered in the Nation River,

east of Ottawa in May, 1975.

Charged is 61 year-old Morley Baxter of Barrie Road, Orillia with one

count of Public Mischief. He is scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 4.

Also charged with one count of Public Mischief is 67 year-old Richard

Eastcott of Cedar Street, Orillia. Eastcott is scheduled to appear in court on

Dec. 9.

The Sousa case has been described as one of the most brutal, violent

unsolved murder cases in Ontario.

Thirteen year-old Leah Sousa and her mother Lora were asleep in their

home when the vicious attack took place in the early morning hours of

September 1, 1990. Leah was severely beaten and died of severe head injuries.

Her mother Lora suffered severe head injuries, but survived.

The OPP have erected a series of billboards along Highway 11 in Central

Ontario, as part of a "Do You Know Who Killed Leah Sousa" campaign that was

launched by the OPP last month (September, 2008).

The Sousa murder investigation is being led by Detective Inspector Mark

Pritchard from the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch.

"Since we launched the campaign last month, we have and continue to

receive tips from members of the public in relation to Leah Sousa's murder,

and we are pleased that the case has invoked national interest", said

Det./Insp. Pritchard.

"We cannot stress enough the importance of people coming forward with any

information, regardless of how insignificant they deem it to be", he added.

Anyone with information regarding the person(s) responsible for the death

of Leah Sousa is urged to contact the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch at

1-888-310-1122 or (705) 329-6111, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), or

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile

That is interesting, and spooky, as to why these guys would mis lead the police, causing an obstruction of justice, I believe.
Sabra::
This murder hits very close 2 home 4 me. Not only did I grow up in Cumberland beach, but my sons grandfather is 1 of the main suspects in this case and always has been. the opp is investigating and have even been 2 my mothers house asking questions. I personally feel that my sons grandfather did commit this murder. There are 2 many things that just don't add up.
I hope the police have this information, it is vital.

Leah Sousa was only 13 years old!!! My God, She was a child? What pathetic creep came into her home, and attacked both the mom, and daughter???

This seriously sucks! This killer has to be caught!

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Wow that is weird

tissa_89

• View Profile
I grew up in cumberland beach. It's a very small little community where everybody knows everybody.So I think it was somebody that new the family quite well cause if it was random why would who ever did it pick road that had many houses by it like there is some houses in cumberland beach that have there space around them and with it being such a close community somebody probably would of saw a stranger around and most like would of reported it you would think. But if they have seen that person before it probably wouldn't of even crossed their minds.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile

Welcome Tissa, and thanks for your insights. It is good to speak to someone from there. I know people in  small communities, usually know, or are aware of each other. The person who did this, just may have come from there.

A stranger, would be noticed by someone for sure.Unless he hid, and took precautions. But believe me, most likely someone would have seen something, or someone suspicious.

Dott

• View Profile
I was 16 and lived in Ontario when this murder took place - I remember the coverage on the news. 

When I read about these two men being arrested for public mischief my thoughts were that these men are directly or indirectly involved with this murder. 

Why would two people work together and write letters to with false information to mislead police?  Are they trying to protect themselves? friends and/or family members?  There has to be something in it for them.  Otherwise why take the risk of getting caught?  I believe these two men have information about this crime. 

I hope the police can get them to talk now that they have been arrested.  What two sickos ...it's been 18 years and they never said a thing.

Also, let's remember that, yes,  Leah was murdered (horrible!!) but Lora the mother was also attacked.  She was beaten so badly on the head that she has no memory of the attack.  She was in hospital in coma and not expected to live.  I'm sure that the killer(s) thought she was dead.  Really they thought they murdered two people.

A video reenactment of this crime is available to view online at "GTA's Most Wanted" http://www.rogerstv.com/option.asplid=121&rid=51&pag=1&oth=3&arid=51&gid=46517

The video also includes a interview with Lora Sousa.

I truly hope this case will be solved. :(

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
I grew up in cumberland beach. It's a very small little community where everybody knows everybody.So I think it was somebody that new the family quite well cause if it was random why would who ever did it pick road that had many houses by it like there is some houses in cumberland beach that have there space around them and with it being such a close community somebody probably would of saw a stranger around and most like would of reported it you would think. But if they have seen that person before it probably wouldn't of even crossed their minds.

Good point, an observation only a local would know.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Why would two people work together and write letters to with false information to mislead police?

That is a good point. Might be why the police are now looking at solving it again. I do feel it will be solved.

Dott

• View Profile

Found this article on the web today...

Tipline sign vandalized

INVESTIGATION

Posted 12 hours ago

A vandalized sign that asks for tips in the murder case of Leah Sousa has caught the attention of police.

The sign, visible from the southbound lanes of Highway 11, near Oro-Medonte Township Line 14, has a name painted on it, declaring that person "did it."

"We're aware of it and we're following up on it. I can't really comment on what it may or may not mean," said Det.-Insp. Mark Pritchard of the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch. "We're going to take some steps to try and have it taken down by the end of the week."

Police continue to hunt for whoever is responsible for sexually assaulting and murdering Sousa in 1990. The Cumberland Beach girl was 13 years old. Her mother was also assaulted.

www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1267942

:-\

Im_new_here2

This murder hits very close 2 home 4 me. Not only did I grow up in Cumberland beach, but my sons grandfather is 1 of the main suspects in this case and always has been. the opp is investigating and have even been 2 my mothers house asking questions. I personally feel that my sons grandfather did commit this murder. There are 2 many things that just don't add up. this mans ex told me he confessed 2 her. I was told that he sold a truck that he loved the day after the murder. I was also told that he lied about where he was that night. In addition I was told that his gf at the time had found some bloody clothes and threw them away thinking he had been in a bar fight. On top of all that i was told that he called his daughter that night and was very upset and that he had told her he did a very very bad thing but he wouldn't say what.         This man is very sick and has spent time in jail as well as mental hospitals. The opp has sent dna away 4 testing now we wait n keep our fingers crossed that they get the person(s) who did this so we can all have peace.

You Make no sence. My sons grandfather well wouldnt that be your father or your father in law . why do u keep saying my sons grandfather i mean that makes him your daddy or your wifes daddy ..and this was a home invasion he took the girl outside to the back yard but it had nothing to do with a truck there was never a tip about a truck so   who really cares if he sold it the next day what does that prove..im not trying to sound like an ass here but thats the woarst theory for a who done it i have ever heard in my life....