Author Topic: Leah/Lora Sousa | Sept. 1, 1990 | Age 13/36 | Murdered | Cumberland Beach  (Read 65609 times)

Sleuth

And here is a link to the Sunday Sun newspaper article of August 31, 2008.
Lora Sousa remembers a shadow, maybe of a left-handed person.
An image of a running shoe.
A description of two men overheard talking about the murder a day later.
The phone was smashed, Sousa, mother or daughter I don't know, had a broken hand suggesting she was calling for help.
A very well written article.

http://virtual.torontosun.com/doc/torontosun/0831/2008083101/14.html

Sleuth

capeheart

• View Profile
I cannot help but think about this case being similar to the case that was recently in the Boston area. A mother and her daughter were attacked while the mother slept, she was murdered and the child escaped. The 11 year old in that case survived, she had injuries and is still in hospital. She was expected to be in the hospital for two months. Her leg was broken and her toes were cut off, it was a brutal attack. Her mom did not survive. These were four teenagers who had planned the attack. They did not know what house they would go to, but knew they were going to kill someone, so evil it is unthinkable. They were all caught. Now, I think about this case and it almost sounds like the same kind of a case, young men who were evil and high on drugs, wanted to do something evil. This was a crime evil at it's worst. I say, look close to home and they will get the people that committed this crime. Now it is almost 20 years, it is time to bring them in. Someone has to know who committed this crime. With all the DNA that is available now, something should be happening to get justice for Leah and Lora. God Bless her mom, this would be a nightmare that would never go away. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Sleuth

On Labour Day young people party hearty and stay up until the wee hours of the morning, someone had to have seen a man or men with blood on them, maybe even scratch marks, or brusing. And maybe someone did, but didn't think too much of it and then put it to the back of their mind. If anyone who was in the area the day of September 1st 1990 and saw anything out of the ordinary, please come forward and let the Investigating officer know. A mother and brother would like to see Justice for an innocent 13 year old girl.

Sleuth

And here is the billboard sign with graffiti on it.

D1

There was some speculation that Bondo was refering to Bernardo.

Woodland

• View Profile
Sleuth - great job on posting all of this info with links, it's sure to help.

Sleuth

I had thought the same thing D1, but I don't think that was Bernardo's style. Obviously someone thought it was him and took the time and effort to climb up and spray paint the words on, which had to have been tricky to do that. Could be a nickname, bondo, car bondo, someone who works in a garage. What the previous poster wrote about her son's grandfather sounds logical. I hope the Police looked into that.

Woodland

• View Profile
Just reread the great links provided by Sleuth.  The top guy in charge of this case is Deputy Commissioner Vince Hawkes - OPP Investigations and Organized Crime.
Organized Crime?

The top guy in charge of the Christine Jessop case from 2002 - 2008 was Det-Sgt Matt Crone, Toronto Police Guns and Gangs and Special Projects.
Guns and Gangs?

I would sincerely like to understand the workings of the various Ontario police forces, so maybe someone could help me out here.  Two of the most brutal rape and murder cases of a child in Ontario are/were both under the supervision of Organized Crime, Guns and Gangs cops in 2 different police forces.  What's with that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure these are superb investigators - but surely these 2 kids are not considered mob hits.  Right?  Surely these guys have a strong background in homicide investigation, right?

Has there been a directive from the Ontario Attorney General's office to steer cold brutal rape/murder cases of children to a division that does not have the word homicide in it?  I'm under the impression we have homicide and cold case divisions everywhere.

Sleuth

Has there been a directive from the Ontario Attorney General's office to steer cold brutal rape/murder cases of children to a division that does not have the word homicide in it?  I'm under the impression we have homicide and cold case divisions everywhere.

You wrote what I was thinking when I read the articles. Cold case divisions are being shut down due to lack of funding. I think the files are passed on to different detectives sometimes. Fresh eyes, a fresh slant and all of that. Yes it bothers me that there is not a special force dealing with just homicides. There is one female in Ottawa who is Superintendent Kate Lines with the OPP who is the first female criminal profiler in Canada. She, along with one other person within Canada attended Quantico Virginia and graduated from the program. I think, not positive, that she may be retired now. Now that I have written that, it put an idea into my head. 

capeheart

• View Profile
I'm really happy this case is getting renewed attention. It is great that the police are actively looking for clues and evidence, even after all this time. I feel that this case is going to be solved. I also feel that it is someone who knew that Leah and her mom were living there alone. For sure, it is someone that knew who was living in this home, I just feel that. I don't think it was random, they were targetted. Hopefully some answers will soon come to this terrible horrific crime, very hard to comprehend. ??? ??? ??? ???

Woodland

• View Profile
There is growing discussion at 2 other locations on this site --> Barrie --> Christine Jessop and --> Toronto --> Lizzie Tomlinson that 3 young girls in 1 decade were as brutalized as they were and that a significant amount of time was spent with these victims, before and after death.  Leah is one of them.

This is unusual.  As bad as all child abductions/attacks are, statistically (not always) they are taken, most often raped, asphyxiated in some way and then left.  Rarely does a killer spend time to do any more than that.

In these 3 cases, each girl suffered severe blows to the head, rendering them incapable of movement.  Lizzie and Christine suffered blows to the head that would have rendered them incapable of running but the blows did not kill them.  Leah's initial blows to the head may not have killed her, but cannot find a report directly saying this.  Christine also suffered superficial stab wounds that did not kill her.

Lizzie and Christine were alive when a brutal attack, including but not limited to rape occured.  Their bodies were further defiled - when Christine was deceased and when Lizzie should have been.
For some reason, after Leah was attacked inside her home, she was dragged outside where further brutalization took place.  Her mother lay inside immobilized from blows to the head.

Blows to the head, rape, prolonged brutality are only some of the common denominators.  Please keep reading all 3 cases and post questions/concerns.

D1

Re: Leah/Lora Sousa | Sept. 1, 1990 | Age 13/36 | Murdered | Cumberland Beach
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2009, 03:23:02 AM »
Suggestion: in order to keep the individual threads pertaining to the person named, we just put a link to where we can discuss multiple connections.
like-
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?PHPSESSID=06491702892f114d403101305a7c2c72&topic=3094.msg29978;topicseen#msg29978