Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Leah/Lora Sousa | Sept. 1, 1990 | Age 13/36 | Murdered | Cumberland Beach  (Read 26874 times)

Desespere

Leah Sousa/Lora Sousa
COD: Head trauma
DOB:
Date last seen: September 1, 1990
Location last seen: Cumberland Beach, ON
Date found: September 1, 1990
Location found: Cumberland Beach, ON

Leah/Lora Sousa - September 1, 1990 - Age 13/36 - Murdered - Cumberland Beach - The Government of the Province of Ontario is offering a total reward of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the murder of thirteen year old Leah Salina SOUSA.

On Saturday, September 1, 1990, Leah SOUSA and her mother, Lora SOUSA, age 36, were asleep in their residence in CUMBERLAND BEACH, Ontario, when person(s) unknown entered the residence, attacked Leah SOUSA and her mother with a weapon.

Leah SOUSA died as a result of severe head injuries. Lora SOUSA suffered severe head injuries but survived. Any person having information regarding the person(s) responsible for the death of Leah Salina SOUSA should communicate immediately with the Director of the Criminal Investigation Branch, Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122 or (705) 329-6111, their nearest police authority, or Crime Stoppers.
http://www.opp.ca/Intranetdev/groups/public/documents/investigative/opp_000953.pdf
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 01:52:10 AM by Desespere »

Im_new_here2

This is a Really Sad case it was alos featured on Court TV Canada . For some one to do that to rape and and torture for over an hour then use blunt force trauma to end a 13 year olds life is one sick human being this is one case I wish someone would come forword for...

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
That is just awful. If it was random, do people like this stop? Do they go on and do more like a serial offender?

Im_new_here2

well heres the weird thing about this case .maybe you have heard of wasaga beach it draws millions and millions of people over the summer exspecially on may 2 4 weekend and where this happened is just outside of wasaga beach but still on the same stretch of beach so one they know for a fact this guy had to have been completley covered in blood there were parties going on all over for the 24 weekend fires outside bbq's its just a big party on that weekend so how so in this case i really do give a scrnario that it could have been an out of towner come up to wasaga to party and then left the sunday of the long weekend.i just think and hope that if anyone say there brother husband whatever come in covered from head to toe in blood i mean its been like 15 years now speak up jesus how u could keep that a secret is beyond me ..which is why i kinda like the weekend traveler theory which is fact is wasaga beach on long weekend they come from all over the world ..If you havnt heard of wasaga beach its the same place that summer before last u know the rapper 50 cent shot his movie get rich or die trying ..anyways one other bit of info the sousa familly was gone for too weeks out of state the night they returned home..this happend  luck that they were they or is there something more to that..15 years still cold case someone speaks up soon i really hope..   

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Yes I have heard of that place.

What I find interesting is the number of people who 'Know' this kind of information but do not call the police about it. You are right, someone may have seen him come home bloddy or noticed his cloths were bloody or whatever.

So many people can solve a case if they would just phone the fuzz but for some reason they do not. On those cold case files, so many times the police learn information years later. And in the Pickton case, I think 10 or more people knew what was going on but said nothing.

I hope those people don't sleep well. No one should hold back  the truth.

Im_new_here2

Ya chris i would have to say your absolutlly correct and i too hope they break oout in cold sweats and have haunting dreams of that little girls screams nightly..

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
I am sure this is one case the police have not closed the book on. It would not surprise me if they had the killers DNA and were just waiting to find the person. Someone out there knows something and I sure hope they have the courage to call the police and give the tip.

Im_new_here2

yes i beleive your right chris they do have his dna they also have a perfect shoe print and it is a very very open case still..

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Oh good, if they have his DNA, hopefully it is just a matter of time. The DNA DN the police use is getting bigger all the time. Hopefully they can run it thru the USA DB too. But something tells me this is a local person who probably had his eye on these people. I hope they get him before he dies of old age.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
THanks

kindheart

Yes, you are right newbie4. I had a look at what you said and Cumberland Beach is about 45 kilometers NE of Barrie, Ontario. It is 40 kilometers from Midhurst and finally 60 kilometers from Wasaga Beach. I do not think a 60 kilometer drive from Wasaga would be totally out of the question, but why go specifically to Cumberland Beach from Wasaga to target this family, unless it was random? September 1, 1990 is a holiday weekend, come to think of it Cindy Halliday was killed at Thanksgiving only a few years later and picked up in Midhurst. Maybe the guy just comes back to visit family, i do not know. Des, your theory holds true in these cases, that holliday murders are relatively common.

Cumberland Beach;
44?41'59.15"N  79?23'33.82"W

Wasaga Beach;
44?28'58.40"N   80? 3'41.30"W

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 07:46:27 PM by kindheart »

kindheart

Alexandra Flanagan's family was from Wasaga Beach at least that is what media reports said. Maybe Wasaga should be seen as important to these investigations? Good ideas Im new!! ;D ;D

zodi

• View Profile
Re: Leah/Lora Sousa | Sept. 1, 1990 | Age 13/36 | Murdered | Cumberland Beach
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 05:54:41 PM »
Hi...this case still breaks my heart. I lived in the house next door to lora, leah and baby michael, for a couple of years. My husband and i moved away just shy of a year from when leah was murdered. I can't for the life of me understand why neighbours wouldn't have called the police, I'm sure there was God awful screaming going on. I remember Lora and Leah having arguments, (just typical teenager stuff) and we could hear them as plain as day. I had heard rumours that the neighbours had thought that there was a party going on! Oh how i wished that we had still lived there, i know that we could have probably stopped it! Lora never had loud parties, she was a very private person, she lived there alone with leah and her baby, she was always careful to keep the doors locked and the blinds drawn, she was just a tiny woman, and very respected by my husband and I. I have spoke with detectives on this case a few times and gave them any information that they asked for; I am still saddened that this case remains unsolved. Lora and Leah were beautiful people inside and out.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Leah/Lora Sousa | Sept. 1, 1990 | Age 13/36 | Murdered | Cumberland Beach
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 08:58:18 PM »
Hi Zodi, thanks for writing.

It does seem a large percentage of the population does not like to call police during disturbances. It probably would have helped out if the police were dispatched. On the other hand, it is quite possible the people were sound a sleep. I can sleep thru anything sometimes.

Do you recall if there was a suspect in this case? Or any theory going around at the time?

Thank you!

cougar50

• View Profile
hi ...i'm new to this site...but i for a long time wondered if the murder of that young girl was solved and i'm sooooooooo sorry to hear that it is not...

i too...lived in washago when the incident happened and back then i was saddened as i am still today...

is there anyway ..we as a community...can get the police back on this case..

someone has to know something..

what about dna...
maybe the investigation wasn't done properly...

i don't know but i'd like to see justice come to this family and to the victims....

take care and god bless..

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here