Author Topic: Missing: Kim & Carol Gibson - 52 Donald Street, Winnipeg (Unconfirmed)  (Read 6864 times)

BCID

I'm researching another old case, that of children Carol and Kim Tessier who disappeared in Winnipeg sometime in the early to mid 1950's. They were residing in a basement suite with their mom at 52 Donald Street (accordin to Google Maps, the building has been long replaced).

Police suspected they may have drowned in the assiniboine River since the girls were last seen playing near it, but they were not ruling out the father had taken them. Up to a year later, the news reports said they had not found either the children or their father.

I'm still researching but does anyone recall this case?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:26:36 AM by BCID »

SAP

Re: Missing: Kim & Carol Tessier (Unconfirmed)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 10:00:14 AM »
I don't recall, however, why not give Angela Ellis a PM? I tried to find these girls on her site and couldn't find them. She has the means to search further and always seems to come up with info on some missing/murdered for a very long time.

BCID

Re: Missing: Kim & Carol Tessier (Unconfirmed)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 02:02:24 AM »
I made a mistake SAP. It was Kim (2) and Carol (4) Gibson. Ferdinand Tessier was their father.

The children wandered off and people believed they had drowned in the Assiniboine River but no evidence could be found to support that. They went missing on May 17, 1955. The last report I found was May 21, 1955. So far I have been unable to find a resolve.

Around that time the river was reported to have been rising, most notably in Brandon.

Police in the May 21st report were looking for the children's father to question him in the children's disappearance.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:50:46 AM by BCID »

SAP

How tragic. :'( :'( :'(

SAP

You really are a research guru. :)

Something else that seemed odd ... putting the children outside while a load of laundry was switched ... after supper, and not looking again until 8 pm or so ... just strikes me rather late for two little kids outside alone. I probably missed something along the way.

leonagleant

• View Profile
It was the 1950s when it was the norm for young kids to run wild outdoors without direct supervision, although it seems strange by today's standards. Two years old is very young to go far but certainly four year olds had such freedom to go up the block and visit friends. The paper reports that they lived only yards from the river and were seen wandering near the turbulent water.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:46:10 PM by leonagleant »

SAP

Difference of opinion I guess. Especially where there was a turbulent river near by is cause enough to be more vigilant imo.

leonagleant

• View Profile
Appears they died of accidental death by drowning then. There is the possibility someone threw them in the river but doesn't seem likely.