Author Topic: Sonia Varaschin - Timeline of Events  (Read 42459 times)

Mom

• I will always protect my child.
    • View Profile
Sonia Varaschin - Timeline of Events
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:28:34 PM »

I have re-read the 45 pages in Sonia Varaschin's thread and I have picked out all of the facts, researched the validity and cited the source. 
Please feel free to indicate if I have missed something or made some errors.  Your collaboration is appreciated!

This is the timeline of events, with sources cited:

• 2010-09-02     Police hunting clues to Orangeville nurse Sonia Varaschin's disappearance fear she may be dead, a lead OPP detective said Thursday.  Despite continued hope "we're preparing the family and ourselves for the worst," Det.-Insp. Mark Pritchard told reporters around noon.   
    http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/09/01/15216436.html
    Ian Robertson, Toronto Sun
  • 2010-09-05     Human remains have been found near Orangeville, Ont., but police have not linked the discovery to the case of a missing woman who vanished a week ago.  Officers were called to a rural area on Sunday morning after 9 a.m., when a person walking their dog discovered the remains.   
    http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20100905/orangeville-remains-found-100905/
    CTV Toronto.ca
  • 2010-09-09     There were several unanswered questions, and some questions remained unasked, in the brief conference yesterday. Information about such as whether there had been a sexual assault or if DNA had been found on the body, as well as the nature of injuries and indication of the weapon used in the attack were held back because of the ongoing nature of the homicide investigation, Inspector Pritchard indicated.   
    http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2010-09-09/Front_Page/Boots_a_clue_to_Sonias_killers_identity.html
    WES KELLER, Freelance Reporter
  • 2010-12-15     A news conference regarding the Sonia Varaschin murder investigation will be held on Thursday (Dec. 16) at 11 a.m. at the Best Western Hotel and Conference Centre in Orangeville.   The last news conference about the investigation was held in early September. On Thursday, police are expected give an update on their work to date, including a recent three-day summit attended by FBI and OPP profilers.   

Chris Halliday, Orangeville.com
  • 2010-12-15
    Peter Edwards, The Toronto Star
  • 2010-12-15     Pritchard won't share the details of the profile, which may indicate age, race, psychology, possible work experience, and other things that could guide homicide detectives.  By being too specific, he said, police could be eliminating a witness who may have a clue to provide.  Pritchard wouldn't be specific about the suspect, if the profile suggests he will strike again or has struck in the past.  But he said there were no similar records with the RCMP-maintained Violent Crime Linkage System (ViCLAS).   
    http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2010/12/15/16564076.html
    Ron Lamberti, QMI Agency
  • 2010-12-16     In the days after Varaschin's death or the discovery of her body on Sept. 5, police say the killer may have:
    • Increased alcohol or drug use.
    • Seemed irritable, agitated or anxious.
    • Moved from the area.
    • Limited social interactions to avoid detection.
    • Had unexplained absences from work, school or missed appointments.
    • Displayed other unusual behavior.
    The man, police say, is likely very familiar with the Orangeville area and the gravel Beech Grove Sideroad, near Mountainview Road, in Caledon, where Varaschin's body was dumped. He may know it because of "recreation, occupation or illegal activities."   
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2010/12/16/opp-varaschin-investigation653.html
    Amber Hildebrandt, CBC News
  • 2011-05-24   DNA samples sought for Varaschin case
    Police are asking Orangeville residents to provide voluntary DNA samples to help solve the murder of Sonia Varaschin.
    Investigators will contact a select group of men who were more than 18-years-old at the time of the murder and ask for a sample of their DNA. The samples will be collected through a cheek swab.
    http://www.orangeville.com/localprofile/localprofile/article/1014179
    Bill Tremblay, Orangeville.com

***edited to fix date.
    « Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:22:01 PM by debbiec »

Mom

• View Profile
    Re: Sonia Varaschin - Timeline of Events
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »

I have re-read the 45 pages in Sonia Varaschin's thread and I have picked out all of the facts, researched the validity and cited the source. 
    Please feel free to indicate if I have missed something or made some errors.  Your collaboration is appreciated!

Here is what we know about Sonia Varaschin, with sources cited:

http://www.eganfuneralhome.com/2010/sonia-marie-jeanne-varaschin/
    « Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:12:17 PM by Mom »

Mom

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 10:48:57 PM »
    Google Maps of Orangeville and Area...

A - 21 Spring Street, Orangeville - where Sonia Varaschin lived.
    B - Corner of Beechgrove Side Road & Mountainview Road where Sonia's body was discovered.
    C - Back Alley in Downtown Orangeville where Sonia's vehicle was found.

Distance Between A and BB and CA and Chttp://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=5+Spring+Street,+Orangeville,+Ontario,+Canada&daddr=Beechgrove+Side+Road,+and+Mountainview+Road,%2BCaledon+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=FYMhngIdjvE5-ykrlVU-mgAriDGs1NweWWzdzQ%3BFWpNngIdLMQ7-ynTGFBJVwIriDGS0t4Dzo1bMA%3BFbgtngId0uE5-w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=18&sll=43.920381,-80.092918&sspn=0.002036,0.005364&ie=UTF8&ll=43.923121,-80.028877&spn=0.067756,0.171661&z=13
    « Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:19:36 AM by Mom »

capeheart

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:12:07 AM »
    Mom, you sure you're not an FBI agent, what work you've done on this timeline of the case, great, you deserve a medal for that. I just cannot believe yet that there has been no arrest in this case. The person that committed this crime had to be smeared in blood from head to foot. And the fact that he left all the doors open and the trunk open, what kind of state was this person in. It seems like there was a lot of anger in this individual and it was sort of an overkill, like I'll show you who's going to do what and I'm in control here, that is the way I'm reading this individual. Was there anyone that Sonia was boss over, that she had to give instructions to in any of her jobs??? She may have been a dedicated worker and wanted things done orderly and someone may not have liked her position. The person definitely knew her and wanted to distance himself from the crime scene. But someone in that city knows who did this. Someone came home that night with blood on their hands and they must have been up for a long time cleaning up the blood they had on them and cleaning their clothing. It could have been a young person, the parents could have been away and they had the house to themselves at that time. I say it was someone from her neighbourhood. The person would have to be pretty strong to overcome Sonia and to lift a dead body. I think they should do another big news report on this  case and shake things up. Advise anyone that knows anything about this crime to come forward and also note that anyone that is witholding evidence on this crime, could be also charged in this crime. My prayers go out to the investigators and we pray that this case will be solved. :o :o :o :o :o

Mom

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 12:11:13 PM »

Thank you for the accolades
    Capeheart and Jellybean.  I appreciate your feedback.

DebbieC - if you think we should start a new thread (starting from #675) full of FACTS, then please feel free to move my stuff on over.

About three weeks ago I was visiting an elderly friend in the Southlake Regional Hospital in Newmarket, Ontario.  They had very strict visiting hours so while I was waiting I went to a nearby FabricLand to pick up some supplies I needed for a project I was working on at home.  The store was absolutely huge and there were only two women working - one on cash and the other one was helping a bride-to-be pick out wedding dress material.  You can guess how long that was going to take!  I meandered around, pretty well got lost in every aisle and continuously muttered under my breath about how poorly organized everything was and how the heck could anyone find anything in this mess.  Believe it or not, I was simply looking for "terry cloth" to make a house coat.  I found two bolts of UGLY terry cloth, my choice was:  scratchy, dull white or boring, cement gray.  Exasperated, I came up for air.  There was a not-so-elderly customer standing nearby who looked very comfortable in these surroundings, so I asked her for some help, something stupid like, "Do you think these are the only colours terry cloth comes in?" came out of my mouth.

The woman came closer to me and with her soft hands she touched the fabric, shook her head and wrinkled-up her nose.  She spoke quietly at first and I had to strain to comprehend her thick European accent, she gave me some directions to a different fabric store, her favourite one.  She was very shy and withdrawn, in a very untrusting way, but she made eye contact with me when I very politely thanked her for taking the time to help me out.  I will never forget her eyes - they were so dark, so beautiful, but so very, very tired.  Those eyes have lived life and lost life.  Our eyes locked for a minute and instantly I said to her, "You're Sonia's mother, aren't you?"  A beautiful smile came to her face and she quietly and proudly said, "Yes, I am."  She put her hand on mine for a moment, and she said, "Sonia's mother, I will always be", then she walked away.

Needless to say, I have been haunted by this encounter for weeks now.  Everything happens for a reason, right?  Why me?  That was my first time going to Newmarket.  I didn't NEED to buy terry cloth THAT day.  What message is in there for ME?  What can I do?  I left the store empty-handed and with a heavy heart.

So, the analytical researcher in me went to work.  Just like ME not being able to find anything in that store that day, how could we expect our "supersleuths" to be able to find what they're looking for in our thread for Sonia?  I have taken all of the same information and organized it so it's easier to read.  If the reader would like clarification, research further, or verify sources - the link is right there for them.

This is my attempt to help Sonia's mom find what she needs.  Sonia's killer needs to be found.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:28:46 PM by Mom »

debbiec

• Administrator
    • Site Admin
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 12:35:45 PM »
    Needless to say, I have been haunted by this encounter for weeks now.  Everything happens for a reason, right?  Why me?  That was my first time going to Newmarket.  I didn't NEED to buy terry cloth THAT day.  What message is in there for ME?  What can I do?

Your story gave me goose bumps, Mom. I am also a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. That would also include the people that touch our lives, sometimes only briefly.

Perhaps you did get the message. It took a great deal of effort to organize this and put it together. Great work Mom.

Seeing as you're the one that's done all that work, what would you like to see here Mom? Do you want these facts to remain with the rest, or would you like to have a second thread just for facts? Input?

Mom

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 01:25:18 PM »

Thank you DebbieC.

Let's give Sonia a NEW thread.  Please and thank you.

I love speculation and I admire how creative people can be when thinking outside of the box, but this heinous perpetrator needs to get caught.  I am also going to start a campaign to drum up some interest from America's Most Wanted.  Anyone know where/how I can get that started?  This is obviously a bizarre crime - even the FBI from Quantico came up to participate.

Thanks again Debbie.

Mom

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 02:28:04 PM »

Please help us keep Sonia's memory alive and give her family some peace.  They deserve that.
    Won't you please take a minute and send John Walsh at America's Most Wanted an email to ask him to come to Canada to review Sonia's case?

Please click on this link to be taken to a form:  http://www.amw.com/contact/

Once there, choose "OTHER", fill in your email address (twice) and then cut 'n paste this paragraph into your text box:

Please consider sending John Walsh and America's Most Wanted to help solve a Crime in Canada.
    Sonia Varaschin lived in Orangeville, a small town just north of Toronto, Ontario.
    A heinous perpetrator entered her home, killed her, used her car to dispose of her body, then returned the car to a nearby location.
    The Behavior Analysis Unit from the FBI came for a 3-day Investigative Summit to work with our Local Police, Provincial Police and RCMP.
    It's been 8 months since Sonia was killed.  Still nothing.  No leads.  No suspects.  No arrests.
    For details, please visit our site:  http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=4931
    Please help and thank you for the work you do!

Then click on SEND

capeheart

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 03:53:41 PM »
    Mom, you are saying you had no idea that Sonia's mom was working in that store??? I would say that you have a psychic ability that is unknown to yourself. What is the chance of that happening, surely devine intervention caused you to go into that fabric store that day. I will attempt to log in to John Walsh and fill out this letter with my e.mail. That is a great idea. We also should have 5th Estate or one of those programs and Dateline in the US is very good to do programs and they certainly have a longer segment. Also there is 48 hours and they reach an awful lot of people that watch their program.  :o :o :o :o :o I just sent my message to AMW and hope that they do see the messages and we should get some kind of a reply back in our private e.mails.
    « Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:15:40 PM by capeheart »

Mom

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 05:03:42 PM »

Thanks Capeheart for filling out the request - let's bombard them!

Sonia's mom wasn't WORKING at the store, she was in there shopping, just like me.  The two ladies who were working were extremely busy and I just asked this very kind lady (she looked like she knew her way around) if she knew if terry cloth came in any other colours.  I didn't recognize her until we made eye contact - and then it was like looking right into Sonia's soul.  I was very spooked.

debbiec

• Administrator
    • Site Admin
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 05:18:43 PM »

I've filled out my request for AMW. Very simple to do and only took a minute.

Marley

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »
    Mom, your story brought tears to my eyes, and you have done such an amazing job compiling all of the facts.  I believe things happen for a reason too.

I have also submitted my E-mail to AMW.  We need to keep Sonia's story alive and in the public's eye.  Someone out there has to know something.  As a local and knowing where Sonia lived and where her car was found, I find it so hard to believe that no one saw a thing that night. 

debbiec

• Administrator
    • Site Admin
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 08:54:32 AM »
    This thread has been created to post facts regarding Sonia's murder. Sonia's first thread can be found at the link below. 

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=3781.0

DEVASTATED

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 10:50:05 AM »
    Mom WOW I cried through your entire posting remarkable I cannot imagine all the time and hardwork that was put into doing what you have done bringing out a lot of the important facts and making it easier for people to follow the thread .The meeting of Sonia's mother was meant to happen the big guy works in miraculous ways .I too have a missing person in my life (Curtis Barry) and its strange when this happens because its so new everyone is involved and so much commotion phone calls,searches,constant interaction with people trying to help .As days pass by the calls become less frequent the searches start to die off  people become busy in their lives rightously so and  here sits a family devastated missing there loved ones terribly trying to push their selves through everyday. No one knows the pain until it happens to them Mom you were at the right place and the right time to come into contact with Mrs Varaschin she needs all of us to never forget Sonia this was meant to happen.

I want you to know  your an incredible lady  and Im so blessed for this site

I have just filled out the AMW form

Thanks
    DEVASTATED 

Concerned

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 11:27:42 AM »
    Nice job Mom, not only in the timeline, but in lifting Sonia's mom.