Author Topic: Human Remains Listings  (Read 14611 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Human Remains Listings
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:38:30 PM »
I found this reference on the net to forensic anthropolgy Report, and wondering if any of this may be of assistance to anyone who is looking for possible human remains. Never seen a listing like this before. Wonder how many have been resolved and how many still open.

http://www.forensicosteolab.laurentian.ca/SF_Forensic_Reports.html

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:30:48 AM by Concerned »

Mom

• I will always protect my child.
    • View Profile
Re: Human Remains Listings
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:04:23 PM »

I wonder what the significance is for this to be associated with Laurentian University?
Does Laurentian have a Medical School and/or an Archeological Faculty?
Would there be other universities across the country with similar databases?

Itdoesnmatter and Prairiechicken are still researching for the whereabouts of the man in the wheelchair.... could be a good starting point for them!

Thanks for the info Concerned - very interesting!

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »
Concerned , good find!

history_major

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »
Laurentian University has a fantastic Archaeology program! :)

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »
Just found this article. Did anyone hear whether they identified who these two little sets of remains belonged to? And, why found in the shed? And, who put them there?

Human bones found in shed
Two sets of remains found, possibly including child's skull

By VINCENT
Posted 2 years ago
Human bones, including half a skull, were found by a contractor while working on a shed at the rear of 10 Henrietta Street on Wednesday morning.

"I've found some pretty strange things working on sites over the years, but that was the strangest," said Brad Armstrong, of Fletcher Construction, Brantford. "I was pulling away the soffit on the shed when the skull fell out.

"It was the nose and two empty eye sockets and it had about half the skull."

He set the skull aside and was working on removing some rotten floor boards when he found two femurs or leg bones. Those bones were set aside as well and police were called.

He made the gruesome discovery at about 11:30 a.m. and a short time later, police were all over the place.

A forensics unit showed up and someone from the coroner's office also attended the scene, Armstrong said.

He believes the skull is that of a child, likely seven or eight years of age, while the leg bones are those of someone who is older and taller, a small woman or teenager, he said.

"The coroner was saying the legs don't match the skull," Armstrong said.

Police attended the scene for a couple of hours and a police officer remained parked by the shed on Thursday. Yellow crime scene tape was wrapped around the shed, which is at the end of the driveway well back from the road.

Armstrong believes the home was built in the early 1900s and pegged the garage as being built sometime in the 1960s.

City records show the home dates back to before 1906.

Armstrong also found a licence plate that he had to turn over to police as well as an old medicine bottle.

"They wanted anything else that I found and then asked me, if I had any other information," Armstrong said. "I told them that when I pulled away some other floor boards I took a step and there was a drop of about six inches."

Such a drop is unusual, he said.

The bones have been taken to experts and preliminary information has determined the bones are believed to be human, Brantford police said in a statement.

Police are now assisting the coroner's office to determine the identity and circumstances surrounding the bones.

The bones are not related to any current police investigation as they are believed to have been there for a number of years, police said in their statement.

Police were not releasing any further details until a further examination of the location and bones could be completed.

Anyone with information is asked to call Det. Brad Loveday at 519-756-0113 ext. 2270 or Brant-Brantford Crime Stoppers at 519-750-8477.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1598532&archive=true

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:35:03 PM »
Wonder if there was ever any follow-up on the remains. Or, do this add to the many other mysteries, yet unsolved.

Natalie

• Patience is a virtue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:11:35 PM »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 11:02:01 PM »
Thanks Natalie. Something seems very odd though. How can the remains be found in a 40 year old shed, when the remains are from 1450 to 1650.

Natalie

• Patience is a virtue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »
Concerned - I was thinking along the same lines.  Before finding that last notice...I was starting to think they may be the remains of Linda & Lori Peugot.  This was mainly because of the close proximity to Brantford from where they were to have met their demise.  (as well as the date being in the 1960s) 

As I don't have your experience in the sleuthing world - I tend to still get exited over the possiblity of an answer...sigh...does it get any easier to come to a dead end?
Natalie.

sweetnurse64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 02:25:44 AM »
Wow :o That is a mystery! Bones that old in a shed from the 60's??  Strange! And wasn't the skull in the rafters and the leg bones under the floor boards?  Couldn't they track down who lived there in the 60s or their family?  A historian would be able to find something further probably. We have a local one in my area and he has old maps (not hundreds of years or anything) but maybe that's how they found out about the Dr.s office location. But in the 1960s they wouldn't just bury bones beside the office!  Hmm......

Annastaisha

• "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 11:05:18 PM »
Just a side note that carbon dating has found to be not always 100% accurate...  I for the life of me cannot find the article I was actually looking for.

"Carbon-14 has dated freshly killed seals to have died 1300 years ago; living snail shells show they have died 27,000 years ago; a 15 thousand year difference has been found in dating a single block of peat; coal from Russia supposedly 300 million years old, was dated at 1680 years. "

taken from http://www.creationdefense.org/14.htm

databrain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 01:49:07 AM »
If the bones were 500 years old, why go through the trouble of hiding them in rafters and under floor boards?  If they were of value and "historical" for the owner, wouldn't you take them with you when you move?  It just doesn't make sense to me.  And constructing the garage with extra space beneath? 

According to the Branford 1965 Voters List:

8 Henrietta - Dr. Stanley Olenski, physician
10 Henrietta - James Hill, Construction
10 Henrietta - Mrs. James Hill

1958 Voters List:
10 Henrietta - Miss May Hawkins - spinster

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 08:02:06 AM »
Makes you wonder how many human remains are found and hidden, just so people don't have to bother, or they don't want to be investigated for it. I wonder how many of us could have some peace of mind and a more respectful resting place for our loved ones.

looking

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 02:39:54 PM »
They were probably native remains that were uncovered at some point and stashed away because someone found them interesting.