Author Topic: Partial Human Remains Found | Southwold Township | April 8, 2011  (Read 10144 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Partial human remains found in Elgin County
Posted 3 days ago

Elgin OPP and the OPP Criminal Investigations Branch are in the preliminary stages of investigating the discovery of partial human remains.

OPP said the remains were discovered Friday evening in Southwold Township.

More information will be released as it becomes available, OPP said.

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3067951

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: Partial Human Remains Found | Southwold Township | April 8, 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 05:01:35 AM »
In the comment section, a poster posted this

Sitting on pins & needles holding my breath waiting to hear the identity of these remains.My brother Sandy Abt has been missing since October.8.2008 Everytime I hear stories like this it puts me on high alert. I need closure...

Human remains discovered
OPP had a heavy presence over the weekend after the remains were found on private property

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/04/11/17952396.html#/news/london/2011/04/11/pf-17947971.html
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:12:08 AM by Concerned »

cardmuncher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:22:31 PM »
Please super sleuths....keep up the good work. I really need to know as any more information becomes available on this case. I was living in Iona Station from 1959 to 1967 and have some suspicions about something that happened during that period.
Thank you

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:28:42 PM »
Welcome to the site, cardmuncher.

I have not seen much on this yet, but they did name the lead investigator and the whereabouts, and a cash reward, in this story:

pdate: April 11, 2011: The Elgin County Ontario Provincial Police under the direction of Criminal Investigation Branch Detective Inspector Greg Walton continue to investigate human remains located on 08 April, 2011.

The remains were located by an area resident just off 2nd Line between Turner Road and Lawrence Road in Southwold Township. The OPP specially trained Emergency Response Team, K-9 Units along with Forensic Identification Officers conducted an extensive search over the weekend.

Police are continuing the process of identifying the remains. The investigation is ongoing and OPP are treating this finding as suspicious.

Any person with information regarding this incident should immediately contact the Ontario Provincial Police Criminal Investigation Branch at 1-888-310-1122, the Elgin County OPP at 519-631-2920, or their nearest police authority.

Should you wish to remain anonymous, you may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.

Original Release

April 9, 2011: Elgin County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), under the direction of Detective Inspector Greg WALTON of the OPP Criminal Investigations Branch, is in the preliminary stages of investigating the discovery of found partial human remains.

The partial remains were found yesterday evening, the 8th of April, 2011 in Southwold Township. Police are continuing their investigation. Further information will be released once it becomes available.
http://www.portstanleynews.com/details/headline.aspx?menu=800_News_News_Human+Remains+Found+in+Southwold+Township

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 06:41:11 AM »
A month and no new news?

cardmuncher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 10:48:14 AM »
No indication of how old the remains are?

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 05:29:06 AM »
Has anyone heard any more news on who this may be? Age? Sex? Timing?  CAn't believe no info is out there

http://www.thechronicle-online.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=3075429

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:50:26 AM by Concerned »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »
Human Remains Found in Ontario

LONDON, Ont. - Detectives are treating the discovery of human remains in Southwold Township, Ont., as "suspicious."

An area resident found the remains on the streets Friday.

"They were sent for analysis to determine age, sex and identity," Const. Troy Carlson said Monday.

Part of the analysis, he said, was to also determine how long the remains had been there.

Police spent the weekend searching the scene.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2011/04/11/17948846.htmlhttp://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/04/11/17952396.html

There was a commenter that wondered if it was Sandy Abt missing since October 8, 2008
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 07:37:21 PM by Concerned »

Sunshine31

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »
The location where these remains were found is 10 minutes from my place. This case bothers me.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »
I searched in London's missing people, and really only found two that have gone missing, both in 2009.   Trevor Andrews (26) missing Oct./09  and Kathryn Bordato (40's) missing Aug./09  but they did a search at some residence in London last year for evidence leading to her disappearance, but of course no follow up info that I could find. 

That was two recent disappearances from London, only half hour or so away from where these partial Human Remains were found.  I wonder how many others are missing from that area.

soccermom

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »
I can't believe there is still no word....
Can't even seem to find discussion of the sex/race/approx. age of the remains.....

Why such silence?

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 08:39:11 PM »
So what partial remains were found? Is this similar to the scattered remains a year or so ago. is it the sign of an ear, a hand, etc to signify something? Are they waiting for other parts to surface?

The investigation was assigned to Greg Walton of the OPP Criminal Investigations Branch...are there any other remains found that has been assigned to the same person?

Discovery of "Partial Human Remains" Officially Deemed 'Suspicious'
AM980 News

4/11/2011

Elgin County OPP confirm they're treating the discovery of "partial human remains" in Southwold Township as suspicious.

Police say the remains were located by an area resident just off 2nd Line between Turner Road and Lawrence Road in Southwold Township on Friday night.

The OPP's Emergency Response Team, K-9 Units along with Forensic Identification Officers conducted an extensive search of the area over the weekend, but few other details have been provided.

Constable Troy Carlson tells AM980 that they cannot say at this point in time whether the remains are either male or female, an approximate age, who found them, or how long they might have been there.

"It's still early on so we're still waiting to obviously determine certain things, so... still beginning phases of the investigation so certainly as we uncover more we'll be able to release more detail."

Police are continuing the process of identifying the remains.

The investigation is under the direction of Detective Inspector Greg Walton with the OPP Criminal Investigations Branch.

Anyone with information regarding this incident should immediately contact the Ontario Provincial Police Criminal Investigation Branch at 1-888-310-1122, the Elgin County OPP at 519-631-2920, or their nearest police authority.
http://www.am980.ca/channels/news/local/Story.aspx?id=1399464

Charity Grace

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »
I wonder if these remains were every identified??  Anyone know?

soccermom

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 06:38:15 PM »
I have been wondering the same thing for some time!

soccermom

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »
All this time later and still no update that I can find! There's an article (http://www.ontarioarchaeology.on.ca/publications/pdf/oa56-2-cooper.pdf) that indicates Southwold is one of 2 geographical locations with evidence of "large quantities of scattered human remains" indicative of an earlier Iroquois settlement in the region. But these remains would be very old -- hardly necessitating a "door-to-door" canvas that emerged from the 2011 discovery. In 2008, remains of a missing London man were found in Southwold  (http://www.stthomastimesjournal.com/2008/11/19/remains-discovered-in-southwold-twp) and in 1994, the body of Sonya Cywink was also located there (http://www.amnesty.ca/campaigns/sisters_sonya_cy). But to whom do the 2011 remains belong? if this is a much older find, it would be some relief to know; if not, I'm sure there are many families in the region desperate for word of their missing loved ones. Why is LE not releasing approx age/sex/race of the remains?