Author Topic: Lionel Daigle-58yr old- Missing, Saint John NB (West Side) 04/03/2011  (Read 15427 times)

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
SAINT JOHN - Police are asking for the public's help in finding a missing 58-year-old man who left a west side special care home on Sunday and has not returned.

Lionel Daigle was believed to be heading uptown after leaving the New Directions home. He is five-foot-three, weighs 137 pounds and has a slim build. He has brown eyes and short salt-and-pepper hair.

Daigle was last seen wearing a three-quarter-length grey hooded winter jacket, blue jeans and white sneakers. He is reported to have mental health issues and requires regular medication.

The public is urged to call the Saint John Police Force at 648-3333 with any information about Daigle's whereabouts.

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
Re: Lionel Daigle-58yr old- Missing, Saint John NB (West Side) 04/03/2011
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »
Search

Lots of tips, but man still missing

Police have received many tips about a man who went missing from a west side special care home on Sunday, but they have all come up negative, said Sgt. Glenn Hayward of the Saint John Police Force. "The patrol division and Major Crime are still actively trying to locate him," he said. Lionel Daigle was believed to be heading uptown after leaving the New Directions home. He is five-foot-three and weighs 137 pounds. He has brown eyes, and short salt-and-pepper hair. He was last seen wearing a grey hooded winter jacket, jeans and white sneakers. Police say he has mental health issues and requires medication. Anyone with information is asked to call the Saint John Police Force at 648-3333

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:35:36 AM »
SAINT JOHN - Police are asking west side residents to check their sheds and properties for any sign of Lionel Daigle, a schizophrenic man who has been missing since Sunday.

Lionel Daigle has been missing since Sunday. For the past four days, police officers have scoured the city for any sign of the 58-year-old man, who was last seen leaving the New Directions special care home on Winslow Street.

"I can tell you it's very frustrating," said Insp. Glen McCloskey, head of the criminal investigations unit of the Saint John Police Force, which has had several officers and a police dog searching night and day for Daigle.

They've searched bank records, contacted friends and relatives, checked bus routes and bus surveillance video.

They've checked his favourite haunts and Shop 211, his south end workplace.

They've checked shorelines, the old Centracare property and nooks and crannies under the Reversing Falls and Harbour bridges.

"We've checked every place that we can think of," McCloskey said.

Now, with time ticking and Daigle missing his medication, police need the help of the public more than ever.

"We're asking that people on the west side go and check their property, any old buildings or fields that may be close, in case he became disoriented and maybe fell down or something of that nature," McCloskey said.

When Daigle left the special care home last Sunday at 11 a.m., he was believed to be heading to the uptown area, but has not been seen since.

It is not clear if Daigle is still in Saint John. He could have travelled somewhere without telling his two brothers and sister, who live in the city.

"We're hoping he somehow went to a friend's place we have no knowledge of and he's nice and warm and clean and healthy," McCloskey said.

The man is likely to be confused since he probably has not had his medication since Sunday, an issue that is troubling for police.

It is unusual for missing persons cases to last longer than 24 hours in Saint John.

Since January, the Saint John Police Force has investigated 61 missing persons cases, and all of the people turned up, except Daigle. Last year, the force investigated 249 cases.

But this is not the first time Daigle has gone missing. More than 10 years ago, he disappeared for a few days and was found safely. He had been living outside, McCloskey said, without divulging the location.

"He emerged very dishevelled and no worse for wear," he said. Officers have checked that place again with no luck.

The media attention has generated quite a few tips across the province, but they turned up negative. People thought they spotted Daigle in Miramichi and Fredericton, but video surveillance proved it wasn't him.

Ground search and rescue teams could be used, but there would be no point unless there was a valid sighting and a place to launch the search, McCloskey said.

Police all over New Brunswick and beyond are still on the lookout for Daigle, McCloskey said, as police in Saint John continue to comb the area.

He said there's no reason to believe foul play is involved in the man's disappearance.

Daigle is five-foot-three, weighs 137 pounds and has a slim build. He has brown eyes and short salt-and-pepper hair.

He was last seen wearing a three-quarter-length grey hooded winter jacket, blue jeans and white sneakers.

The public is urged to call the Saint John Police Force at 648-3333 with any information

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:39:09 AM »
But this is not the first time Daigle has gone missing. More than 10 years ago, he disappeared for a few days and was found safely. He had been living outside, McCloskey said, without divulging the location.

"He emerged very dishevelled and no worse for wear," he said. Officers have checked that place again with no luck.

Before anyone inquires this area was extensively checked by police and Search & Rescue Officials

Ground search and rescue teams could be used, but there would be no point unless there was a valid sighting and a place to launch the search, McCloskey said.
Search & Rescue was utilized Saturday April 9th.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 03:14:14 PM »
It makes one wonder  how someone can just disappear without a trace. Should he be going about without some assistance, especially because of medication that he takes. Did anyone see him after he left the residence in the area he was headed for? And could he have just taken a bus and maybe went to another area of N.B. And is there a train station that he may have just got on a train and possibly just went totally out of the province. It just must be very fraustrating to the police in the search for this man. But the fact that he has disappeared before and turned up, maybe this could happen again. Would there be any flooding in the area that he was headed, could he have been swept away. Hopefully the public will take part in searching their properties for Mr. Daigle.  :o :o :o :o :o :o

amIam

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
From what I am gathering from the report, Lionel Daigle lived in a sheltered area.,  New Directions on Winslow Street.  He had a job, a  bank account as the report indicates. There is no mention as to whether or not Lionel accessed his bank account since his diappearance. 
It so distresses me to hear reports such as this, seems all the I's were dotted and T's were crossed to help this poor man and yet he as has disappeared.  Hopefully, the staff at New Directions know something.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:32:11 PM »
People should check old abandoned vehicles. Without his med's, he may want to curl up in an enclosed space.

peace
jb

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:21:29 AM »
Ground Search & Rescue crews were out on the weekend checking an area.. his accounts last time they were checked had not been accessed.

Did anyone see him after he left the residence in the area he was headed for?
Yes but not in the area he was headed for

And could he have just taken a bus and maybe went to another area of N.B. And is there a train station that he may have just got on a train and possibly just went totally out of the province.
No train station and it is unlikely that he would have made it out of town because the media coverage anyone giving him a drive would have called in to report where he got dropped off and Im sure that all bus stations where checked etc.

Would there be any flooding in the area that he was headed, could he have been swept away.
No flooding but the west side is bordering the harbour, and Saint Johns famous reversing falls if one got into the wrong spot as the tide was turning it is possible but in this case I would say it is unlikely that he got swept away.

Hopefully the public will take part in searching their properties for Mr. Daigle.
Agreed

People should check old abandoned vehicles. Without his med's, he may want to curl up in an enclosed space.
This was completed both by Police Officers, Police K-9, and trained Search & Rescue team members in the key area's

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »
GSAR Mbr - Thanks for answering my questions. Well at least he was seen after leaving  his residence. So if he said he was headed in one direction and went in another, would possibly be a plan he had or he just wandered off in that direction. It is amazing to me how he has not been found, because of so much media attention and the way he was dressed also. Well he's been missing now ten days, that is a long time with no sightings and no touching his bank account. Was he in the habit of carrying sums of money on him? Maybe someone invited him in a home on the pretense of befriending him and robbed him, just a thought.  :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:03:05 AM by capeheart »

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 05:59:24 AM »
Capeheart, this is another one where I cant say more at this point than I already have to some of your questions.

I would make the following assumptions though on what I know and please understand these are assumptions with no fact behind them.:

-Mr. Daigle would not have been in the habit of carrying large sums of cash with him as he lived in the special care home.

-You may very well be right that he said one thing and did another by plan, or maybe it struck him on whim to be last seen where he was. By this I mean maybe he was travelling by and suddenly decided to stop there.

I would go out on a limb and suggest from what I know so far that the Police in the news reports are not being misleading when they indicate that no foul play is involved in this matter.

Hopefully Mr. Daigle turns up soon.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »
Yes, I understand what you're saying. It just boggles my mind how people can walk out the door and go missing in a community where there is daily activity. :o :o :o :o

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 11:21:01 AM »
walk out the door and go missing in a community where there is daily activity
Ahh but Capeheart this is a double edged sword, because with the hustle bustle things seem less odd/suspicious to the naked eye until someone asks the right questions to bring back to memory what they really saw. For example I do Ground Search & Rescue and Provincial Enforcement work & Computer Repair not to mention various other volunteer activities(I get around the community)

I myself have had situations where until someone asks a question about something I saw in the run of my day I dont remember seeing it. For example, I may pass a car parked on the side of the road and not think anything of it nor realize I just passed it but as soon as I get an RCMP news release about a car missing I suddenly remember seeing a car and where I saw it.

People just need to slow down and think back when they hear about things to be looking for and let their mind remember if they saw something before writing it off as if they didnt.

Its like what I read in a book as a kid about aborigional people in the past, they would hear things and see things that the white men coming to the land didnt because they werent looking for that one thing or werent listening for that one sound. They let their ears rest and their eyes rest instead of straining and then your natural instincts take over a calm ear will hear the twig snap before the strained one any day. I have tried this and it does seem to prove true!

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 06:49:47 AM »
Just so those who are curious will know this is still an Active File with the local Police force. With out giving details of the reasons why or scenarios that could be the Local K-9 unit does conduct regular searches in a couple areas.

GSAR_Mbr

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 11:17:44 AM »
God he still hasnt turned up.  I am wondering now with the winter setting up should he be sheltering somewhere with no heat  if he is still alive.  This is a long time missing with out meds.  Wonder what would happen if he was off his meds to long?  Also wondering if withdrawl from the meds would have caused him any problems.  I know some meds cant be stopped all at once but have to be weened slowly in order for there not to be seasuzer.  Gas are they still doing searches for this man , hope he is found before the winter harms him.  Is there reason to believe he is still alive.  Have there ever been any sitings of him since the first day he went missing?

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 11:21:22 AM »
God he still hasnt turned up.  I am wondering now with the winter setting up should he be sheltering somewhere with no heat  if he is still alive.  This is a long time missing with out meds.  Wonder what would happen if he was off his meds to long?  Also wondering if withdrawl from the meds would have caused him any problems.  I know some meds cant be stopped all at once but have to be weened slowly in order for there not to be seasuzer.  Gas are they still doing searches for this man , hope he is found before the winter harms him.  Is there reason to believe he is still alive.  Have there ever been any sitings of him since the first day he went missing?

As I am involved in the file I can not say much regarding it. I can not comment on whether he has been seen since the first day because I do not know what was released to the Media.

I would venture to say that anything being done at this point is to give closure to a grieving family. But thats just my opinion..

GSAR_Mbr