Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Unsolved in Ohio - Cincinnati Serial Killer  (Read 15825 times)

Desespere

Unsolved in Ohio - Cincinnati Serial Killer
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:46:33 PM »
Victoria May Hincher - October 31, 1976 - Age 24 - Murdered - of Roselawn OH. Victoria's nude body was recovered in a wooded area off New London Road in Ross Township on Oct. 31, 1976. Cause of death: strangulation by ligature. Ms. Hincher was working as a waitress at the Red Lobster Restaurant on Reading Road in Roselawn in 1976 and shared an apartment with another young woman on Glen Meadow Lane in Roselawn. She failed to show up for work on Oct. 20, 1976, and her roommate filed a missing person report with Cincinnati police a few days later. Ms. Hincher's body was discovered by a man walking his dog on Oct. 30. LINKED Case Code - OH-04

Nancy Ann Theobald - December 28, 1977 - Age 18 - Murdered - of Clifton, OH. Nancy's fully-clothed body was recovered in a creek bed in a field off Beckett Road near Rialto Road in Butler County's Union Township. The University of Cincinnati student was reported missing the month before her body was found. Cause of death: strangulation. Ms. Theobald was the daughter of former Cincinnati Zoo veterinarian, Dr. Jerome Theobald. She was a National Honor Society member and had studied in France as an American Field Service Exchange student during her senior year at Indian Hill High School. She then entered the University of Cincinnati. Cincinnati police said she was last seen just before 11 p.m. on Nov. 16, 1977, when she left her part-time job at Arby's Restaurant on Calhoun Street in Clifton to walk several blocks to her Deckebach Avenue apartment. LINKED Case Code - OH-04
(in the article below the police said the three women were recovered nude or partially nude but above here says Nancy was recovered fully clothed. I am guessing the police are right.)

Tammy Lynn King - November 13, 1982 - Age 22 - Murdered - of Price Hill, OH. Tammy's nude body was recovered off Dunwoody Road in Reily Township on Nov. 13, 1982. Cause of death: manual strangulation. Ms. King had attended Western Hills High School and, at one time, worked at Roy  Rogers restaurant downtown. Her family reported her missing She had been missing since leaving her apartment on Oct. 25, 1982, several hours after she failed to return home from a trip to the Cincinnati unemployment office. Her body was found less than a month later. An autopsy concluded she was about five months pregnant at the time her body was discovered. Ms. King was a happy-go-lucky woman who was working and dedicated to raising her son, Michael, then 4 years old. I have little memories of my mom,  said Michael King, of Price Hill, now 23. They're happy memories. My grandfather has taken very good care of me, but I miss my mom.  LINKED Case Code - OH-04

All three deaths were similar and all the victims were ''disposed of in secluded areas,'' Gabbard said. All three were found in similar isolated areas in Butler County and were sexually assaulted. [Desespere adds: Something else in common, all three worked in restaraunts.]

Background Information

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.true-crime/browse_thread/thread/5f6b35cf99f053be/3c3af9573ebab9d0?lnk=st&q=unsolved+murder+women&rnum=6&hl=en#3c3af9573ebab9d0

[LINKED Case Code - OH-04 - The following is an abridged version of the link above]
The following appears courtesy of yesterday's Associated Press news wire:
Authorities reopen four unsolved murder cases, say three may been serial killings
The Associated Press  - 02/05/00
HAMILTON, Ohio (AP) -- Four unsolved murder cases from the 1970s and 1980s have been reopened, and three of the murders may have been the work of a serial killer, the Butler County sheriff said.

Nancy Ann Theobold, Victoria May Hincher and Tammy Lynn King never knew each other, but they all appear to have been strangled, years apart, by the same person, said Sheriff Harold Don Gabbard at a news conference Friday.

"There are a lot of similarities in the three cases," he said. "It tells me they were probably the acts of a serial killer."  They are three of four unsolved murder cases that the sheriff's department has reopened. Gabbard hopes that new forensic technology -- and perhaps a tip from a witness -- might point to a killer. In all cases, authorities have hair, fibers and matter from beneath the  victims' fingernails that could be tested for DNA evidence to help identify the killers, the sheriff said.

The similarities in the slayings of the three young women are too striking to be dismissed as coincidence, Gabbard said.
The three women were young, attractive brunettes.
        - All were sexually assaulted before being strangled.
        - They were killed in the same time of the year - mid-October to mid-November.
        - Their nude or partially clothed bodies were dumped in rural areas in southern Butler County.

"Serial killers have a specific method in which they do things," Gabbard said. He said investigators have a suspect in mind and plan to question him, but he declined to identify him. This same person is a suspect in other murders in Hamilton and Butler counties between 1977 and 1982, said Lt. Greg Blankenship of the sheriff's department. He did not specify which cases.

Anyone with information about the four newly reopened unsolved
Butler County murder cases can call these Butler County sheriff's detectives:
        - Detective Mike Laney, 887-5633, on the Tammy Lynn King case.
        - Detective Rick Laggenbauer, 887-3037, on the Victoria May Hincher case.
        - Detective Dave Rumpler, 887-3027, on the Nancy Ann Theobold case.
        - Detective Frank Smith, 887-3032, on the Kermit Vencill case.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:46:38 AM by Desespere »

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved in Ohio - Cincinnati Serial Killer
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 02:17:36 AM »

Reported by Guest:

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=486.msg1840#msg1840

The reporter has made the following comment:
I believe Beverly Jarosz was stabbed 40 times, very violent. This was reported in the Cleveland Free Times from the autopsy report.

Regards,
The Unsolved Murders | Missing People Canada Team.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 01:31:51 AM »
Thanks Guest

jaat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
The information pertaining to Tammy Lynn King is correct. Last I have heard they had reopened the case in 2000 possibly for a short time to run further dna tests on evidence obtained from the crime scene. I was under the impression that any results were inconclusive at that time. Whether advancements have been made since then, that may have positive information I am unaware.

jaat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:23:12 AM »
http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Convicted-Murderer-Is-Mowing-Lawns-in-Amelia/gmMYauMmzEOKX1oqo035OA.cspx

On the same page as this link, is a video from the Channel 12 WKRC coldcase files that appeared this last Friday with a possible connection to Tammy's killer and possible others from Kentucky to Michigan. Now, he's out mowing yards after serving time for 2 other murders (12 years). I truly hope they find the evidence that links him to these horrific and hideous acts and that swift and severe justice is brought upon him with no mercy. For all of the families who've lost loved ones,including mine (Tammy). Nothing can bring them back, but it is to a degree, closure in a sense. What a sad world we live in as a society of elected peers, the pillars that cast a sentence of only 12 years for 2 murders? What a crock....

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:25:20 AM »
Here is something I found on Sarah's case.

Teens' bodies found 800 yards apart in '94By Philip Rosenbaum, Nancy Grace Producer
May 17, 2010 7:45 a.m. EDT

New York (CNN) -- As is the case with so many other "Jane Does'' across the nation, 14-year-old Sarah Boehm's unidentified remains were kept in a cooler at the coroner's office in Cuyahoga County, Ohio.

They had been there for more than five years when a breakthrough in 2001 helped turn the case around.

Lt. Kim Clements, a detective with the district attorney's office in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, noticed a description of remains matching the missing teen's as she searched the Doe Network, a website for tracking unidentified and missing persons.

A sample from a femur and a DNA swab from Sarah's mother confirmed the body was Boehm's. She disappeared on July 14, 1994, in Rochester, Pennsylvania.

Clements was transporting a witness in an unrelated homicide case when she learned of the match.

The DNA results didn't come back until 2003 because of a long backlog at the FBI lab after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and because the initial DNA sample was insufficient, police said. Clements said learning of the match was ''a pretty intense moment'' in her career.

Sarah's family held her funeral in 2006, finally laying her to rest.

While one part of the mystery was solved, authorities are still struggling to find Sarah's killer. And they still don't know if she was abducted, ran away or just got into a car with the wrong person.

And, investigators still don't know how her body wound up miles away in the Berlin Reservoir, part of a wooded state park in Ohio. The park is about a two-hour drive from Sarah's home.

Authorities believe Sarah's case may be connected to the similar death of Kathryn Menendez, a 17-year-old girl who ran away from her home in Portage County, Ohio, more than a dozen times.

How does a 14-year-old girl go missing and end up in rural Ohio?

Their bodies were found just 800 yards apart. Menendez was strangled and authorities think Boehm may have died the same way.

While it took months for hunters to discover Boehm's skeleton, Menendez's body was spotted just days after she vanished in August 1994, a month after Boehm's disappearance.

Boehm had no history of running away, no known drug habit or history of alcohol abuse, and no connection to Ohio.

There was no known explanation for why her body wound up where it did, said FBI agent Thomas Carter, who is investigating the case for the bureau's Pittsburgh field office.

"She had no money. She didn't drive,'' Carter said. "This park is so remote, so out in the middle of nowhere that unless you're from Ohio, you'd never know where it is.''

Boehm disappeared after telling her brother she was going to a friend's house two blocks away. But she didn't visit that night because the friend's family had company.

A few days later, Sarah's family found a two-page note under her pillow. A Pennsylvania state police lab analyzed the note, which was written in different inks, and cast doubt on its authenticity.

The note, which has a French poem Boehm wrote on the envelope, indicates Sarah might have planned to run away.

But the FBI isn't ruling out the possibility the note was planted.

"How does a 14-year-old girl go missing and end up in rural Ohio?'' Carter asked. "Did she actually leave the house that night with the intent of running away, or did she walk out of the house and someone pick her up and take her to Ohio?"

"I treat any child that goes missing and found in another state as a potential kidnap,'' he said. "Therefore it would be a potential federal crime.''

Over the years, authorities have eyed several potential suspects. To this day, some have not been ruled out, Carter said.

During the summer of 2009, the 15th anniversary of the disappearance of Boehm and Menendez, the FBI put up billboards featuring their cases along highways in Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Sarah's father, Jack Boehm, says his daughter was shy, loved animals and had a great singing voice. He said he went to the cemetery earlier this year in Sylvania Hill, Pennsylvania, to visit her grave so he could clear the marker after a three-foot snowfall to ''let the sun shine down on her.''

He could not find the marker and said he felt as if he had let her down.

Boehm said he would like to see someone brought to justice for what happened to his daughter.

"I want to do everything in my power to find out what happened to her. I can't rest until I find out,'' he said.

Carter said he needs the public's help to crack what may be a double cold case.

"Right now the good leads have stopped coming in,'' he said. "That's why we're seeking your help.''

Anyone with information on the case is asked to call the FBI in Pittsburgh at (412) 432-4000 or in Cleveland at (216) 522-1400.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/17/grace.coldcase.boehm.menendez/index.html

sherlock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »
I'm curious whether anyone has explored a connection between Nolan Ray George and the murder of Nancy Theobald.  I'm having difficulty locating an incarcernation timeline of Nolan Ray George.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 11:55:50 AM »
I'm sure they are probably looking at everything. Wish some of this info was online so we could check ourselves.

TanyaC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 02:44:37 AM »
Every October of every year I remember Vickie more vividly! It's world series time and that's where she was headed when she didn't come home again. I believe the man who killed her also killed these other women. I believe he started with her and gained strength abusing others along the way. Vickie was my cousin, my idol and a wonderful person! I miss the woman she could have become and have pity on the man I believe may have done this!

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 01:05:44 AM »
I'm so sorry about your cousin. I do hope with modern technology and better coordination with other law enforcement, this case can be solved before the killer dies. I'd even go as far as to say look at Kentucky and even as far north as Michigan if need be and see if there are any convicts who committed similar crimes.

soccermom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:10:23 PM »
 Could there be any link to the missing case of Katelyn Markham in Fairfield Ohio? She has disappeared qwithout a trace from her home --- no purse, no keys gone. Her cell phone is missing and is off.  http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110829/NEWS01/108300302/Reward-now-25K-Katelyn-Markham-case

She has a thread here under Missing persons -- US.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here