Author Topic: Luc Joly-Durocher | 20 | Missing North Bay | March 4, 2011  (Read 45595 times)

Long Gone

• View Profile
Re: Luc Joly-Durocher | 20 | Missing North Bay | March 4, 2011
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2017, 06:44:23 AM »

Jacqueline Kelly placed on probation for misleading police in Luc Joly-Durocher case
 Nugget Staff
Friday, January 13, 2017

A North Bay woman who provided false information to police in their investigation into the disappearance of Luc Joly-Durocher will “never really understand what you have done.”

In a victim impact statement presented to Superior Court of Justice Thursday, Rob Joly said Jacqueline Kelly “will eventually forget” her role in the case.

But for Joly and his family, “we will never forget.”

Kelly pleaded guilty before Justice David Nadeau to a single count of public mischief after falsely accusing another person of killing Joly-Durocher in March 2011.

Joly-Durocher was last seen leaving Cecil's Eatery and Beer Society with friends just before midnight March 4, 2011, after he was refused entry.

It's believed he returned to a friend's home on Sherbrooke Street. Police found the navy jacket and cellphone he had with him the night he disappeared.

Court was told Kelly gave statements to police on three separate occasions between March 2011 and July 2013. At one interview, she named a man and outlined events concerning Joly-Durocher’s fate, saying she was present during the incident.

The Centre for Forensic Sciences and the North Bay police identification unit were unable to corroborate her statement.

Rob Joly told court the disappearance of his only son has had a devastating impact on himself and his family.

“Every call, we hope ‘this is it,’” Joly told court.

But there has been no closure for him or his family.

“The pain continues to be excruciating. It is devastating to me and my family.”

Every day, he said, is an emotional battle for him, and for a father who had a close relationship with his son, it destroys him to know this is one thing he can’t fix.

Joly said he has had “endless, countless nights without sleep,” his health has been affected, and he has lost many weeks of work. He now suffers from high blood pressure, and “at times I thought I was going crazy.”

Joly said there is no way he can describe what he is going through, telling the court about the last time he dropped his son off at a friend’s home.

He said he looked up at the rear view mirror and saw Joly-Durocher there.

“That was the last time I saw my son,” he said.

He asked Nadeau to consider everything the family has suffered since Joly-Durocher’s disappearance, and what Kelly had done to make it even more difficult for them.

He also said that he believes his son would have been found if people had not lied to police and sent them off in the wrong directions.

Kelly, he said, “lied and mislead police . . . all for nothing.”

Defence attorney Dawood Ahmad told court Kelly was “suffering significant mental health issues” at the time of the incidents and was severely addicted to drugs.

In a joint submission, the defence and Crown recommended she be credited for time served and be placed on probation.

Kelly, who has been in custody since March 2016, was given credit for the equivalent of 16 months in custody. She was sentenced to a further 16 months of probation.

Crown attorney Sheila Seguin noted that Kelly’s case was different from that of Danielle Leduc-Mitchell, who was sentenced to almost two years in jail followed by probation for a year in a similar case.

Leduc-Mitchell told police Joly- Durocher was beaten to death “solely for the attention,” Seguin said.

Joly-Durocher is described as 5-foot-8, 150 pounds with a slim build and dark curly hair. At the time of his disappearance, he was wearing braces on his upper teeth.

Anyone with information about the disappearance is asked to contact North Bay Police Service at 705-497-5555, or by email at

Anonymous tips are also accepted at Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477, or 705-476- 8477, which offers cash rewards up to $2,000. The Joly family is offering a $50,000 reward for any information that might solve the case.

Long Gone

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »

MISSING: Search for Luc Joly-Durocher continues after 2011 disappearance
'You never get over the fact that your son?s just not here': Rob Joly

NEWS Jun 04, 2017 by Cynthia Reason Etobicoke Guardian

The last time Rob Joly saw his only son, Luc, the two exchanged ?I love yous? as they embraced.

Six years later, it?s the memory of that final hug that Joly holds on to as the search for the 20-year-old aspiring musician continues.

?Luc was always a hugger,? Joly recalled. ?That day as we said goodbye, Luc gave me a hug and a tap on the back, and said ?I love you, dad. See you later.? That was the last time I saw him.?

The very next night on March 4, 2011, Luc Joly-Durocher went missing while visiting friends in North Bay, Ontario.

If Joly has one regret, it?s that he agreed to work overtime that night. Had he not, Joly reasons, maybe his son would have stayed with him at his North Bay home, rather than with friends in a ?sketchy? part of town.

Maybe if he?d stayed home instead of working that night, Luc would have called him to pick him up downtown after getting separated from his buddies, rather than walking back to his friend?s house.

Maybe then Luc would have been there the next day for his younger sister Sara?s pizza party birthday celebration.

Maybe, just maybe, Luc wouldn?t have disappeared.

?Still to this day, even six years later, I?m mad at myself for going into work that night, and I?m sad I couldn?t be there for him,? said Joly, who works at pulp and paper mill in Temiscaming, Quebec, an hour?s drive northwest of North Bay.

?I didn?t even have to go in that night. I can?t help but think Luc maybe decided not to go stay at my place in North Bay that night because I wasn?t there.?

After more than six years of such ?maybes?, Joly said the only thing he knows for certain is that he wants his son back ? although, with every day that passes without answers, he?s beginning to lose hope of a happy ending.

?As a parent, you never want to give up, but after six years you start to wonder ?Where is he? If he?s out there, why is he doing this to us? Did he lose his memory??? he said.

?It?s hard to explain. The feelings never go away. You never get over the fact that your son?s just not here. You don?t know whether to cry or to keep up hope. It hurts.?

The only explanation for Luc?s disappearance, Joly is reluctantly beginning to believe, is that maybe his son was murdered.

What Joly knows for certain about the night Luc went missing is that he disappeared after being turned away from Cecil?s Eatery and Beer Society in downtown North Bay shortly before midnight for being too intoxicated.

Surveillance footage from the bar, he said, shows Luc and his three friends walking down Main Street, climbing the stairs to the bar, and talking to the bouncer. One by one, his friends are shown entering Cecil?s. Luc, however, was turned away.

From there the video shows Luc, wearing his dark navy American Eagle jacket, leaving the bar alone and heading west on Main Street toward a Bank of Montreal.

A short time later, more surveillance footage at the bank captured cut-off images of a man Joly believes was his son, entering the bank, followed by another, unidentified man.

That, Joly said, is the last time Luc was seen. The only traces of Luc discovered following his disappearance were his American Eagle jacket, keys and eyeglasses at the apartment of the friend with whom he was supposed to crash that night, and his unused bank card found in a snowbank on the street nearby.

?What I believe is that maybe Luc owed somebody money and he met up with them on Main Street. They went into the bank to get money, but when Luc didn?t have his debit card, they went back to his friend?s house to get it,? Joly speculated.

?When it wasn?t there, they took Luc and killed him. That?s what I think happened. It?s just speculation, but that?s what I believe.?

In the six years since Luc went missing, two women have come forward with stories corroborating Joly?s theory that his son was murdered that night. Both claims, however, have since been proven bogus ? the perpetrators prosecuted for obstruction of justice and sentenced to jail time for misleading police with false allegations.

Still, Joly wonders if those phoney claims aren?t at least partly fact.

?Some of her story has got to be true, because if it wasn?t, where is Luc?? Joly said of one of the women?s accounts of witnessing Luc?s beating death, which landed her a two-year prison sentence.

The hardest part for Joly, his ex-wife Monique, and daughter Sara, he said, is the not knowing what happened to their ?wonderful,? music- and hockey-loving son, and wondering who would harm someone who ?wouldn?t hurt a fly.?

?It hurts to know that we?re probably crossing the path of these people every time we?re in North Bay,? said Joly, who sold his house in the city in 2013 in favour of his home in Kipawa, Quebec, a short drive from Luc?s old apartment in Temiscaming.

?We just want the people who know what happened to Luc to call. You don?t have to give your name, just give us something to go on. It?s kind of like, we know he?s gone, but we don?t want to accept it. It would almost be a lot easier if Luc would have died in a car accident, because we would know where he is. We could mourn.?

Luc?s case is now listed among the hundreds of missing kids profiles on the Canadian Centre for Child Protection?s database at

?Although Luc was technically an adult (20) when he went missing, when we learned of his disappearance, we reached out to his family to offer our support and to see if we could help in any way,? said program manager Jessica Huzyk.

?Young adults can be just as vulnerable as young children, and advocating for their safety and well-being is critical. Luc has parents, siblings and friends ? he is someone?s child too.?

Her organization?s role, Huzyk added, is to work with families like Luc?s to provide them with support when they need it and to take opportunities to remind the public that Luc is still missing.

?Someone knows what happened to him and if that someone has been struggling with that, please come forward and anonymously report what you know,? she appealed.

?All it takes is one piece of information. Luc?s family has spent over six painful years searching for their son. Our wish is that we help bring him home to his family.?

Meanwhile, back in Kipawa, Joly said he plans to do what he always does to mark Luc?s upcoming birthday on June 28 ? light a candle.

?Luc had this thing when he would leave, he would say ?Lots of light to you, Dad.? So now we light a candle for him and wish him lots of light wherever he is,? Joly said, noting that he hopes someone, somewhere, will finally help bring his family some closure.

?When somebody like you does a story like this, I always have that hope inside of me that maybe this is the story that?s going to reach somebody. Maybe this is the person that?s going to help me find my son.?

Anyone with information about Luc?s disappearance is asked to call the North Bay police at 705-497-5555 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Long Gone

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2018, 08:27:47 AM »

Search for missing man continues after seven years
Friday, March 2, 2018

Seven years after his disappearance, North Bay Police are continuing to investigate the whereabouts of Luc Joly-Durocher.

“The North Bay Police Service remain committed to investigating any and all information received from the public,” said police, in a release issued Friday, indicating the investigation remains active.

Sunday will mark the the seventh anniversary of Joly-Durocher's disappearance. He was last seen shortly before midnight on March 4, 2011, when he was refused entry into a licensed establishment downtown and left the premises alone.

Joly-Durocher, of Temiscaming, Que., was 20 years old at the time and was visiting friends in North Bay.

He is described as 5’8”, 150 pounds, dark curly short hair, slim build with braces on his upper teeth.

In March 2016, police released a $50,000.00 reward bulletin for any person having information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for his disappearance. The reward remains in effect.

Anyone with information that may assist police with this investigation is asked to call the North Bay Police Service at 705-497-5555 and select option 9 to speak to a police officer. For those who wish to remain anonymous, contact Near North Crime Stoppers, by calling 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or by submitting a tip online at