Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Luc Joly-Durocher | 20 | Missing North Bay | March 4, 2011  (Read 17431 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Luc Joly-Durocher | 20 | Missing North Bay | March 4, 2011
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »
Desperate search for missing man in North Bay
By JENNIFER HAMILTON-McCHARLES The Nugget
Posted 2 days ago

North Bay police have found the navy jacket and cellphone that Luc Joly-Durocher had with him the night he disappeared.

In a media conference Wednesday, police said they believe Joly-Durocher, 20, left Cecil's Eatery and Beer Society March 4 and returned to his friend's home on the 600 block of Sherbrooke Street.

They want to know what happened after that.

Joly-Durocher, who lives in Temiscaming, Que., was in North Bay visiting friends March 4. He was last seen on video surveillance at 11:54 p.m. leaving Cecil's heading west on Main Street after being refused entry to the bar.

"It's likely that he returned to (Sherbrooke Street) because his coat was present at the residence later that day," said Det.-Const. Paul Brewer during the media conference at police headquarters. "We have focused our search efforts in two areas downtown and Sherbrooke Street.

Police are asking the public for any information they have.

"We have received tips and have investigated them, but there's little information," Brewer said. "We don't have any strong leads so far. We don't have any direction to go."

Joly-Durocher's father, Robert Joly, said Monday that cellphone records show he was the last person his son texted.

"It was around 8:54 p.m. on that Friday and Luc told me he was going to need a ride back to Temiscaming (Saturday)," he said.

Joly said his son's bank account hasn't been accessed since March 4 when he withdrew $20.

Joly-Durocher is believed to have been at 683 Sherbrooke St. the night he disappeared.

"Someone knows something and maybe someone knows something in that neighbourhood," said Joly said Wednesday. "I always told him to watch over his shoulder, but this is a mystery right now."

Joly has scoured Sherbrooke Street, the city's downtown and Chippewa Creek. He has looked through countless garbage cans and rail cars.

Brewer said police "have been conducting searches, canvassing neighbourhoods and the downtown area, and conducting interviews with family and friends to try and collect as much information as possible."

Family and friends have set up several Facebook groups to help the search. Hundreds of people have joined Bring Luke Home and Luke Joly Search Party.

"We all just need to keep our heads up high. We miss you Luke. Come home," writes Carolyn Joly.

Joly writes: "I will never give up. I will find you Luke,"

jhamilton-mccharles@nugget.ca

DESCRIPTION

Luc Joly-Durocher, 20, was last seen March 4 outside Cecil's Eatery and Beer Society.

He is five-foot-eight and weighs 150 pounds.

He has dark curly short hair and braces on his upper teeth.

He was last seen wearing a dark navy American Eagle jacket, dark blue jeans and old New Balance black running shoes with green stitching.

Anyone with information is asked to call the North Bay police at 705 497-5555 or Near North Crime Stoppers at 1 800-222-TIPS.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3031782

tiger2338

• View Profile
Re: Luc Joly-Durocher | 20 | Missing North Bay | March 4, 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 05:39:05 PM »
 ::)I'd like the answer to that myself. That is practically in my front yard.

.Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:24:52 PM »
This case makes me uneasy as well, i Live in North Bay and work at a local Pizza store just down the street from the bar that Luc was denied acces to, im a delivery driver and also delivered pizza to the neighbourhood where Luc was staying on the night he went missing, after midnight.

some info of the area,

the downtown section/main street/ where the bars/clubs are located is very very busy and crowded on weekend nights, i find it hard to beleive anyone could go missing in this densely crowded area,

the walk from the bar to the house he was supposedly staying at would take about 10-15 minutes

, the walk would be fairly straight forward and hard to get lost even for someone unfamiliar with the area,

there is a field/overgrown, old rail bed across from the house he was staying at.

if anyone would like any other info as to the area this occured feel free to ask!, as i said as a pizza guy i am regualrly in the downtown area on wekeend nights to 4 a.m.

the local police havent released any of there leads/details so this makes it fusterating, some questions i have are:

Why was he denied entry to the bar? was he too intoxicated? was he fighting with someone there earlier?
where were the friends he was supposedly staying with? do they have any ideas what might have happened?

i know police often like to keep details confidential but if your going to put wanted posters up everywhere and ask people to look around it would help if we had the slightest clue as to what we were looking for.

the last report the police released is that they were searching an area in Temiskamang, what details lead them to beleive he somehow left for home in the middle of the night instead of waiting for his dad in the morning?

i really hope this case is solved.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:05:15 PM »
Ben.  I would hope that the police really interrogated his friends. I have a funny feeling that it was  the friends who told the police  that he left for home.  (in the middle of the nite?) Wouldn't he have  wanted to go to bed, sleep it off, and get a ride home with his Dad in the a.m? Something isn't adding up. Luc's disappearance may not have a happy ending.  Missing since March 4th, with no activiity on his bank account gives me a forboding feeling.

PEACE
JB :(

tiger2338

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
I get the same bad feeling. I've lived in North Bay since 1957, and know the city very well. If Luc's dad wants do a search of the Laurier Woods, ONR tracks and Old Callendar road, I would be happy to help.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 03:04:14 PM »
I have been following this on facebook some.  Has there been any news of any kind.  I am originally from North Bay area , and all my family still live there.  Hope some on forms a search party and searches all those mention areas.  I know what it is like to have a family member missing as my brother went missing in 1989 and wasn't a happy ending.  Hoping he is found safe.

stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:08:10 PM »
I lived in North Bay for 30+ years, tiger2338 is my sister. In addition to the areas you mentioned sis I would alaso look around Chippewa High School and Rolly Fisher field area as they are walking distance from the address on Sherbrooke

ontariolinda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:07:41 PM »
Luc was not let in the bar because he had no ID on him, so he returned to the apt..his cell phone and coat were found there..and a week later his bank card was found a block away on the same street. The family has been told not to expect good news which is totally heartbreaking

stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 05:49:05 PM »
 Where exactly was the bank card found, a block towards main st or towards fifth ave. If towards main then I suspect he was robbed and killed going back to the bar and they had better take a look at known thieves in the area. In any case has anyone looked at the area where the old Railway tracks used to be in that area. 

.Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
Steph, the old rail bed directly across from the address is fairly busy with alot of people walking through there daily, as far as the railbed going to the southeast im kinna tempted to search it. however i dont have a clue of why he would be down there

tiger2338

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »
Ben,

If you want someone to go with you. Pm me.

stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 04:34:57 PM »
tiger 2338 take lacey with you. 

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »
I seriously hope that the police have seached the old rail bed and the other areas, if they haven't there is something wrong with that wouldn't you say.  Have any search partys been formed to search any of these areas.  Would really like to know.  I will be going to North Bay later this month and am willing to help search if it might be any help.  What does everyone think?

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
It was March - it would have been cold. He was last seen at cecil's 4 minutes to Midnight. I think his friends should answer as to whether they were all inebriated that nite. If he was inebriated he would have returned to his friends place, removed his coat etc., Perhaps he had spent his $20.00 and decided to run out with his bank card to a liquor store and buy some beer- while  leaving his coat behind, taking his bank card with him all the while  thinking he would only be gone for a minute. Is there a liquor store close- by to this apartment?  Is there a body of water around there? A lake, a river?

PEACE
JB

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 09:46:17 PM »

HERE IS AN EXCELLENT ARICLE WHICH POSES SOME VERY VALID QUESTIONS.
http://www.nugget.ca/Community/NewsDisplay.aspx?c=131702

Is enough being done to find Luc Joly-Durocher? Posted By North Bayette

4 months ago

I've been keeping my eye on nugget.ca for information about 20 year old Luc Joly-Durocher who was last seen over two weeks ago and who has been reported missing. The last thing I want to do is tread on the toes of his family and friends but I do have some questions and thought that perhaps others have the same types of concerns. Since knowledge is power, here goes...

An article by Jennifer Hamilton-McCharles states that there are two Facebook pages, "Bring Luke Home" and "Luke Joly Search Party" but when I attempted to search for them on Facebook, I came up empty. If the groups still exist, shouldn't it be "Bring Luc Home" and "Luc Joly Search Party" - his name is spelled in the French manner isn't it? If friends and family are trying to raise awareness it shouldn't be this hard to join; I'd like to contribute some small effort to help spread the word. It did cross my mind that perhaps police asked that the pages be removed because of the ongoing investigation but I quickly dismissed the thought because that would discourage tips and public interest which could lead to information being missed.

Next on my list of concerns is that there were only eight officers who "swept" and "scoured" the area that they are interested in. Could eight officers really cover three square kilometres of the city in a footsearch? Is that all the manpower the North Bay Police Service was able to muster? What about a canine unit - has one been utilized in the search? I haven't read about any volunteer searches being organized, are there any plans to arrange some?

Another concern I have is the lack of details given about this young man. He was refused entry at Cecil's; was that because they were at full capacity or because he was very intoxicated? I don't want this young man's reputation compromised but the reports are very vague. Was he involved in drugs? Did he suffer from any mental illness? He was staying at a friend's in the 600 block of Sherbrooke - was he with said friend at Cecil's or was he alone? His cellphone - which was found at his friend's home - was last used to text his father at 8:54 p.m.; who was the last telephone call placed to and what time was it placed at? Reports say that he was last seen wearing a dark navy American Eagle jacket, dark blue jeans and old black New Balance runners with green stitching - is that what he was seen wearing on the surveillance tape or did someone see him wearing those articles of clothing? If it was the former, it begs the question of how his jacket and cellphone were found at his friend's home; the obvious answer is that he returned there sometime after he was seen on the surveillance tape.

Finally, I wonder about the efforts being put forth by the North Bay Police Service and by the general public. It pains me to say it, but I think that if this were a 20 year old woman, who had been missing for 15 days, there would be a great deal more effort being made by law enforcement and by volunteers. Two years ago when eight year old Tori Stafford went missing, 40 police officers and hundreds of volunteers were searching within two days of her abduction. I realize that the case is not terribly similar - there is a vast difference between an 8 year old and a 20 year old - but I would bet that friends and family of Luc don't see much difference; a loved one is missing and they need help to find him. At 20 years old, he might not be considered a child by many, but he will always be a child to his parents.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here