Author Topic: Family Warned After Killer Moved to Minimum Security!  (Read 3676 times)

Seeking the Truth

• View Profile
Family Warned After Killer Moved to Minimum Security!
« on: March 07, 2011, 04:02:03 PM »
My friend just brought this to my attention.  This is absolutely appalling and disgusting! 

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20110306/murray-killer-minimum-110306/

There is a video at the link.

CTV.ca News Staff

Date: Sun. Mar. 6 2011 10:24 PM ET

The family of a woman slain in British Columbia says authorities have told them their safety could be in jeopardy after the killer was moved to minimum security.

Tammy Murray was a beaten and then stabbed to death in Burnaby, B.C. in 2007, and her killer was sentenced to five years for manslaughter.

Aaron Hickey, Murray's ex-boyfriend, was originally charged with second-degree murder, but pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter.

Murray's family said officials warned them after Hickey was moved to the William Head minimum security prison, near Victoria, B.C.

"They told us they wanted to make an appointment with us to make a safe plan, for if and when he does come see us," Tammy's sister, Tanya Murray, said. "People like that shouldn't be able to just roam around."

Tanya Murray plans to protest the decision to move Hickey to a minimum security facility.

Tammy Murray was stabbed about 60 times by Hickey, who claimed he was so drunk he barely remembers doing it.

The family protested the Crown striking the plea deal to downgrade the charges.

Then-Attorney General Wally Oppal said the correct procedures were followed.

"They've gone through a horrendous period of time having a loved one killed in the way she was brutally killed," Oppal said at the time. "But that decision was made based on the evidence that was before the lawyers, the experienced lawyers in the criminal justice branch."

With a report from CTV's Bhinder Sajan

Wow, how does stabbing someone 60 times end up being manslaughter???  And with a sentence of five years??  So he doesn't remember stabbing her because he was so drunk?  That makes it manslaughter??? 

And because Tammy was his ex-girlfriend, does this mean that her life was of less value than if she had been a random woman out walking that was stabbed and killed? 

I just cannot understand how this monster should be allowed to move to minimum security with the potential to gain his freedom!!

Comments?

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Family Warned After Killer Moved to Minimum Security!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:00:57 PM »
What happened to the clause that was supposed to protect society "dangerous offender". five years is a pathetic sentence for killing an ex girlfriend. He killed a person, took a life and he got five years. This woman had every right to be safe as well as any other human being, just because she was an ex girlfriend or whatever this lady's life was like, it was her life. She had a right to life and he took it. He should be classed as a dangerous offender. And why are they asking for a plan for the people to be safe. He should have an order against him for life not to go anywhere's near this family. He should be moved to another province and allow these people to live in peace. Obviously they don't trust this person very much, especially when they are causing fear for the family of the victim. This is totally off the wall, outrageous. Well I'd have protection and I'd tell the people who informed me of his release, they may find a dead body on my doorstep if he ever enters my property. I would be prepared and I'd shoot and ask questions later, sorry, but nobody should have to live in fear. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:04:24 PM by capeheart »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:33:34 PM »
Exactly.  What if he gets drunk again? 

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »
Yes and everybody is going to have to live in fear because he gets drunk, a sick kind of justice for the victims family. >:( >:( >:( >:(