Author Topic: Elizabeth Lafantaisie | 73 | Murdered Winnipeg | February 18, 2011  (Read 7329 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
So very sad. Prayers to the family.

Maybe we should start a thread on missing seniors. I'm beginning to think this is becoming all too common. Why?

Woman's body found in car
CBC News Posted: Feb 25, 2011 10:01 AM CST Last Updated: Feb 25, 2011 12:13 PM CST

The body of an elderly woman who was missing for a week was found inside her car.

Elizabeth Lafantaisie, 73, was last seen on Friday in the city's Royalwood neighbourhood. Winnipeg Police Service
The car belonging to Elizabeth Lafantaisie, 73, was found parked Thursday near River Avenue and Lewis Street in the Osborne Village area.

Her body was then discovered inside the vehicle, police said Friday.

There are reports she was inside the car trunk, but police would neither confirm nor deny that.

"It was a purse that lead police to start searching for Elizabeth Lafantaisie," said CBC News reporter Megan Benedictson.

The purse and some other items were found in the Fort Garry neighbourhood and turned into police, who then became suspicious when they couldn't reach Lafantaisie.

Police spokesman Const. Jason Michalylshen said she was an independent, active senior who last spoke with family on Feb. 18.

Investigators believe Lafantaisie's vehicle was taken that same day to a coin-operated car wash by whoever is responsible for her death.

Police turned to the public on Wednesday for help finding Lafantaisie, who was last seen in the city's Royalwood neighbourhood.

On Thursday, a large electronic billboard on Pembina Highway near Bishop Grandin Boulevard advertised Lafantaisie's disppearance.

Her family has requested privacy, police said.

Anyone who may have observed a dark green, 2006 Pontiac, Grand Prix, four-door car being washed that day is asked to contact police at 204-986-6508 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-TIPS (8477).
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/02/25/mb-elderly-woman-body-found-winnipeg.html

Police seek missing elderly woman
CBC News Posted: Feb 24, 2011 9:19 AM CST Last Updated: Feb 24, 2011 9:19 AM CST Read 1 comments
Share with Add ThisPrint this storyE-mail this story
Elizabeth Lafantaisie, 75, was last seen on Friday in the city's Royalwood neighbourhood.
Winnipeg police are asking the public to help them find an elderly woman who has been missing for several days.

Elizabeth Lafantaisie, 75, was last seen on Friday in the city's Royalwood neighbourhood.

She's described as five feet four inches tall with short, salt-and-pepper hair, glasses, and a slim build.

Lafantaisie also drives a grey Pontiac Grand Prix sedan, with licence plate ERR 153.

Anyone with information about Lafantaisie's whereabouts is asked to contact the police at 204-986-6222.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/02/24/mb-missing-elderly-woman-winnipeg.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:28:26 AM by Concerned »

ttervoort

• "Thanks for noticing..."
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Lafantaisie | 75 | Murdered Winnipeg | February 18, 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:46:33 PM »
Late Tuesday afternoon, police said Thomas Anthony Joseph Brine, 25, of Winnipeg had been charged with first-degree murder for Lafantaisie's death. As a result of two outstanding warrants, Brine also faces charges for possession of goods obtained by crime, assault causing bodily harm and assault, said police.

(Local news converage here:  http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110301/wpg_arrest_110301/20110301?hub=Winnipeg)

SAP

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:29:03 PM »
Yay, they have him! Thank you ttervoort.

Condolences to the family. RIP Elizabeth.

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:36:41 PM »
Thank goodness for that!  I hope he receives a swift justice, he looks like a petty criminal just enlarging on what he did best!

RIP Elizabeth

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Lafantaisie | 73 | Murdered Winnipeg | February 18, 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 02:02:42 PM »
I would like to know why a person turns to auto theft, but more importantly I want to know why they decide to go from auto theft to killing a senior. This p#$@es me off. Really?  For a car. For someone else's car. Why in the hell can't these idiots learn the value of earning a car.

SHE WAS 73-years-old.  What a man. We have to figure out how to stop raising these idiots.

Saturday, March 5, 2011
LaFantaisie was strangled
By ROSS ROMANIUK, WINNIPEG SUN
Last Updated: March 5, 2011 1:53pm

Elizabeth Lafantaisie was strangled to death, Winnipeg police revealed Saturday of the homicide of the 73-year-old woman.

Const. Jason Michalyshen confirmed the cause of death following on autopsy on the woman's body, which had been found in the trunk of her 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix on Feb. 24 in Osborne Village.

She had been reported missing days earlier, leading police to ask the public on Feb. 21 for help in finding her.

A 25-year-old man with a record of convictions for auto theft has since been charged with first-degree murder in Lafantaisie's death.

ross.romaniuk@sunmedia.ca

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/2011/03/05/17506936.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:28:57 AM by Concerned »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »
This is outrageous to have this happen to this woman who had quite an active life. She was working and making a few dollars and in good health. I feel for her family and send my condolences to them. This creep should get the maximum sentence, 25 years in jail for this crime and not one day less. The courts have to step up to the plate and give the maximum sentence on this crime.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 08:47:31 PM »
Maybe they can look at this idiot for other elderly women and men missing, cars stolen. They just don't do this out of the blue, without any priors.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:28:41 AM by Concerned »

SAP

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »
He just probably did the crime for a few dollars for a quick drug fix. The lady had been to a few housecleaning jobs and imo wouldn't be carrying alot of money on her as if she had been  to shopping. He didn't even keep the car. If she resisted handing over her purse he probably snapped. The ldies handbags are all too often a target for lazy thugs. Lets hope he's in jail for a very long time and he should be b/c he also had other pending charges. 

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 11:17:21 AM »
I actually think that seniors should not be carrying their purses, many times it has been noted where they just grab the handbag. This lady may have grappled to keep her bag, but that big thug did not have to kill the lady for her purse. I think that seniors have to think of another way to carry their funds, especially if they are going to be going into an area they will be alone. Maybe if they wore a money belt inside, a small one and wear a coat over it. I did that when I travelled, I wore a money belt, so that I wouldn't have a handbag. I took my money, cc, lipstick and a few things and it was a lot easier when sight seeing also. There are no words to describe what I feel for the senseless act of this idiot. Doesn't he have a grandmother or an elderly person in his family, a cold blooded bastard, in my opinion. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 12:03:56 PM »
I hope so SAP. 73-years-old, and still cleaning. And, a 25-year-old can't even hold a damn job and make a living so he has to kill elderly, working seniors that have earned the right to be taken care of by the community in which they live. What irony, the 73-year-old still working, and the 25-year-old kills her for pocket change. Perhaps because he likes powder up his nose, or needles in his veins. He will be nothing to society, except a burden. He's already proven to worthless. To think, we are raising this. And housing them. What's wrong with this picture.

Other seniors missing or murdered (Only the ones I found listed on Unsolved):

Agnes May Appleyard, 71, South River (Missing, last seen standing in her yard)
Lillian Berube, 83 - Edmonton (Murdered)
John Victor Cantwell, 84 - Edmonton(Missing)
Julia Ann Cox, 92 - Toronto (Murdered, found in her basement closet)
Edward Gordon Durston, 71 - (Missing)
Marjorie Amy Ferris, 70 - Burlington (Missing, last seen in her apartment)
Alfred Gardiner, 77 - British Columbia (Missing)
Audrey Gleave, 73 - Hamilton (Murdered, found in her garage. David Laurie Scott arrested)
Carol Hodge, 64 - Peterborough (Deceased, still determining cause)
Harry Lafonde,    - Edmonton (Missing)
Joan Dorothy Lawrence, 77 - Huntsville (Missing, last seen at her residence)
Paula Leclair, 64 - Ottawa (Camille Cleroux wanted to live in her apartment)
Casmiel Jack, 70 - British Columbia (Missing)
Marion Joyce, 74 - Kingston (Murdered, body found on Easter, possibly looking for male 16-25)
Rhody Lake, 80 - British Columbia (Missing, disappeared while on walk)
May Milling, 81 - Quebec (Missing, car found in lake)
Victor Mateyshin, 84 - Bruno
Lyle McCann, 78 - St. Albert (Missing, left in motorhome. Motor home found burnt)
Marie McCann, 77 - St. Albert (Missing, left in motorhome. Motor home found burnt)
Kenneth Thomas Myatt, 81 - Edmonton (Missing - went for a walk)
Robert Neale, 77 - Alberta (Missing)
Emily Osmond, 78 - SK (Missing)
Carole Parent, 64 - Sylvan Lake (Missing)
Rejeanne Pelletier-Charette, 82 - Quebec (Murdered - Disappeared from home, 16-year-old charged with forcible confinement, stolen vehicle, theft after escaping detention center.)
Erwin Puls, 81 - Alberta (Missing)
Jean Roelfsma, 71 - Alberta (Missing)
Kathleen Sanderson, 70 - Barrie (Found face down in shoreline by her residence)
Doreen Schmidt, 68 - British Columbia (Missing)
Nathan Sohal, 81 - British Columbia (Missing)
Patricia Ann Stewart, 71 - Toronto (Murdered, found in stairwell manually strangled)
Stephanie Stewart, 70 - Hinton (Missing)
Valerie Xavier, 80 - Brockville (Murdered. 16-year-old boarder allegedly murdered her and stole her car, credit card was charged)

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 12:14:41 PM »
Concerned, there is definitely something goin on here and it surely has a criminal element to it. Also you forgot about the couple in Edmonton that are missing since December 27, the dental lab couple. Someone is definitely committing crimes against seniors and it could be someone close to them and it could be someone that has singled them out to commit murder to get their possessions or funds that they have on them. It is just hard to believe there are that many missing. Also there are some here in Nova Scotia that are not listed on there. A task force should be set up to look into what is happening here, people just keep disappearing and no answers. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 04:53:40 PM »
No 73 year old Senior should have to go out to clean to earn a few extra dollars.  It's about time Canada reviewed the seniors pensions.  This also includes the Province of Manitoba.  It is also doubly tragic that she lost her life to a lazy low life bum.
I hope that he does not make it through any jail time thrown at him.

PEACE
JB
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:56:06 PM by jellybean »

lilykins

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 11:24:45 AM »
This is very sad. I am tired of the elderly becoming victimized. It takes a real coward to victimize an elderly person. They cannot do much to fight back and that is why they have become victims. Its unbelievable that someone would stoop so low as to victimize an elderly person. What does that say about the unsub who does such a thing.  They are the weekest persons in the human race. Praying on poor helpless victims.  They should be sentenced to life in prison. These people have grandchildren who will never get to feel the love they deserve. Children who won't ever get to feel the touch of their parents warm embrace.  People are supposed to grow old gracefully but these punks think they can get away with what ever they want for a few dollars. Its unreal and it sickens me. These people are sick and they should be put in a a mental institute before they can ever hurt anyone. But these people are set free with a slap on the rist, they are never checked for any mental sicknesses and that is why we are not safe on the streets of winnipeg. It could of happened to anyone.