Author Topic: Swiss Therapist Admits to 114 Sexual Assaults on Disabled in 9 Institutions  (Read 3194 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
This is just one of the most disgusting stories. These poor individuals totally 114.  42 older than 18, but as young as 1 year old. Some who could not speak. Most statute of limitations have passed, but 33 can be prosecuted. All happening over 28 year span in 9 institutions where he worked. How can this happen. How can they not see the evidence if they are caring for these individuals...in mood, in bruising, in damage.  My gd..a one year old.  My heart is breaking.

Swiss social worker admits to 114 sexual assaults on the disabled
By the CNN Wire Staff
February 2, 2011 -- Updated 0218 GMT (1018 HKT)

All the alleged victims were mentally disabled; some were also physically disabled
The youngest victim was 1 year old, according to the statement
Sexual assaults occurred over 28 years at nine institutions, authorities said
The 54-year-old man is called "very cooperative"

(CNN) -- A social worker in Switzerland has confessed to sexually assaulting more than 100 disabled children and adults, authorities said Tuesday.

The 54-year-old man, who was not identified, said the assaults took place over a 28-year span in nine institutions where he worked as a therapist. He is from Argovie district in northern Switzerland, according to a statement from the regional public prosecutor of Bern-Mittelland and Bern cantonal police.

He has confessed that since 1982, he abused people while he was employed in homes and institutions for people with mental and physical disabilities in Switzerland and Germany, authorities said. Most of the facilities where the alleged incidents occurred are in Bern canton.

The man has since been interviewed more than 50 times since his arrest last April, and has been "very cooperative" in revealing "further information on similar cases," the statement said.

He had been investigated in 2003 in connection with the alleged sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl, but the case was dropped because of insufficient evidence, authorities said.

In all, the man confessed to sexually abusing 114 people -- all of whom were mentally disabled and some of whom also had physical disabilities -- who have been identified by canton police. The man also confessed to eight attempted sexual assaults, authorities said.

Most of the victims were male; 42 of the victims were older than 18, authorities said. One of the victims was 1 year old at the time of the alleged assault.

Police said the man told investigators that some of the abuses occurred several times on the same day. In 18 cases, the abuses were photographed or filmed. Investigators determined that no images or videos had been posted to the internet.
The statute of limitations has passed for most of the offenses, authorities said, but the man can be prosecuted for 33 cases.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/02/01/switzerland.sex.charges/?hpt=T2

* Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:43:44 PM by Concerned »

mercys mama

• View Profile
This just makes me insanely upset!  As civilized society, we should be protecting the most vulnerable among us (children, elderly, handicapped) so that disgusting pieces of garbage like this man cannot have access to them...

114 INNOCENT SOULS endured this man's abuse! Not a one time system fail.  Sadly.  And a one year old?  Sick monster.

And the statute of limitations has run out on most cases? Please remind me why we even have statutes of limitations on these crimes??? Whose brilliant idea was such a concept!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:48:51 AM by debbiec »

SAP

Disgusting and deplorable beyond words!! My heart goes out to all the victims. :'(

He had been investigated in 2003 in connection with the alleged sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl, but the case was dropped because of insufficient evidence, authorities said.

Unfortunately it does take a lot of evidence to do anything about abuse. Anyone who has tried to aid an abused victim can verify that. His supervisors/administrators of his place of employment don't want to risk a lawsuit themselves.
I don't know anything about the Swiss system but I do hope he never sees the light of day so he can face his demons to his dying day.   

SAP

From what I have read on the Net, Swiss federal law is similar to that of USA, so will we see something like 150 (just an example) years in solitary?
The Swiss have done all kinds of research into rape and abuse and collected data and have in place a system to implement ... so what went wrong in this case?

eta: He was in prison in 2010 while police were doing their investigations however the outcome ... length of his sentence has not been reported as far as i can find.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:36:37 PM by SAP »

mercys mama

• View Profile
It's just incomprehensible when you think of all the victims...and their families who trusted and relied on these institutions.  The hardest thing for me to come to terms with is that nothing can take that pain away. It happened.  They could take him out back, shoot him today, or torture him for the rest of his life...it won't change what they endured.  :'(

God bless every single one of them

SAP

Why I care what his sentence is ... is simply the fact I want to know for sure he will be out of society so this cannot happen again by his choices.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Why I care what his sentence is ... is simply the fact I want to know for sure he will be out of society so this cannot happen again by his choices.

Rightfully so.