Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Tyeshia Jones - 18 - Murdered - January 21, 2011 - Duncan, BC  (Read 12768 times)

SAP

• View Profile
Re: Tyeshia Jones - 18 - Murdered - January 21, 2011 - Duncan, BC
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »
A spur of the moment uncharacteristic thing Tyeshia may have done was contact someone her firends in the community knew but never suspected what he was capable of. So very sad.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2011, 11:07:28 AM »
Police sift evidence in murder probes
By Sarah Simpson, The Citizen March 9, 2011

A team of 25 investigators is sifting through what police have described as "a mountain of information" to uncover just who is responsible for the murder of Duncan's Tyeshia Jones.

Every piece of evidence and every tip needs to be followed up by investigators, and that process takes time-- especially given the vast amount of information being obtained in the case, said Vancouver Island RCMP spokesman Cpl. Darren Lagan on Tuesday

"We currently have exceeded 1,000 investigative tasks," he said.

Lagan explained that every single tidbit of knowledge police unearth or are given with regard to the case is assigned a task number. Police then follow up on each and every task, which can include anything from interviewing people to extracting information from an email or cell phone and more.

Every lead needs to be looked into, Lagan said.

The Vancouver Island integrated major crime unit and North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP, assisted by RCMP 'E' Division's serious crime and criminal investigation units are continuing to actively probe the homicide.

"The investigational team remains very confident this case will be solved," Lagan said.

The disappearance of the 18-year-old on Jan. 22 sparked a massive six-day search resulting in the discovery of her body in a wooded area near the Shaker Church cemetery off Indian Road.

Meanwhile, the Vancouver Island integrated major crime unit is also searching for the killer of Duncan's Kerrie Ann Stone.

The charred remains of the 42-year-old were found by a berry picker in a wooded area off Elliott Road in Glenora on July 12.

"Investigators continue to move forward with their investigation," Lagan said. "We still want to hear from anyone in the community who may have information on this crime."

Those with information on either case are urged to contact the North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP or CrimeStoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

http://www.canada.com/Police+sift+evidence+murder+probes/4406566/story.html

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Police are asking for the public's help in locating possessions Tyeshia Jones had on her Jan. 22
By Sarah Simpson, The Citizen April 29, 2011

Tips are mounting following the disclosure this week of information related to slain Cowichan teen Tyeshia Jones.

RCMP Major Crimes investigators have released a fuzzy photograph taken of Jones by a friend on Jan. 22, the night she disappeared, in hopes somebody might recognize her clothing.

On Wednesday, police also released a list of other items believed to be in her possession at the time of her disappearance but not with her when her body was located on Jan. 28, beside a cemetery on Cowichan Tribes land.

The missing clothing and personal items listed by police on Wednesday were: an extra small, black Adidas sweatshirt with hood; a small, black tank top with a white stripe on the bottom and attached underwire bra; flat-soled, size-seven fabric boots; size 23, blue, denim jeans with white stitching; and a black leather purse with shoulder strap. Inside the purse was a blue iPod Nano with a sticker of a cat's head on the back.

While officers are keeping mum on most of the case's details, Vancouver Island RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Darren Lagan said releasing some information has proved helpful in the investigation.

"We have had some information come in [Thursday] as a result of the media coverage overnight and the investigators are obviously pleased as a result of the information coming in," he said.

Lagan couldn't offer any comment related to the condition of the items or that of Jones when she was discovered.

"There is a small number of people that know exactly what state she was found in and of course that's the investigators, the person that discovered her and the person that committed her murder," he said.

Lagan said the public continues to provide important information to investigators, who are tirelessly following up on each and every tip but cautioned those with tips to contact police and not the victim's family.

"Well-meaning individuals in the community have been sharing tips and information on this case directly with Tyeshia's family, leading to additional stress for them," he said. "We want to remind the public to contact our team directly at the North Cowichan/ Duncan RCMP, if they have any information that may help solve this crime."

Hundreds of people have already come forward with information, said Lagan.

The Jones family is "very anxious" that the case be solved, but such investigations take time, he said.

"I know people in cases like this want very quick answers ... and each murder investigation takes on a life of its own," Lagan said.

"We've still got a significant team working on it and I think that should hopefully show the community that we remain as committed to this as we were three months ago."

A $6,000 reward has been offered for information leading to the conviction of Jones's killer.

Lagan urges the community to remain conscious of their safety. Steps people should take include: walking in a group when possible, using public transit or taxis, staying on well-lit roads and paths, and letting others know where you are going, and when you plan to arrive.

"If you see suspicious activity, or feel unsafe due to the actions of others, call for help," he said.

With a file from Postmedia News

http://www.canada.com/Search+murder+victim+items/4696094/story.html

stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 04:13:23 PM »
One thing I am not seeing mentioned here is video. Did the superstore have video of their entrances. If so is Tyeshia on it. Same questions apply to the adult learning center. Also where is the adult learning center in relation to the superstore?

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2012, 12:27:06 PM »

Hundreds spoken to in Duncan homicide inquiry

By Katie DeRosa, timescolonist.com January 20, 2012

One year after the killing of Tyeshia Jones, homicide investigators continue to work on the case, interviewing hundreds of people and gathering evidence.

Detectives from the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit have remained tight-lipped to protect the integrity of the investigation.

Police have not released the cause of death or said whether they have any suspects. They have never said whether the killing was targeted or random.

"The investigation remains active, and progress continues to be made toward identifying the person or persons responsible for Tyeshia's murder," Island district RCMP spokesman Cpl. Darren Lagan said in an email. "Investigators have spoken to hundreds of people in relation to this case."

Lagan would not give details of persons of interest or what kinds of statements have been made to police.

The RCMP asked Seattle police for the phone records of a young man from Spokane, Washington, to whom Jones sent pictures via text message on Jan. 20, two days before her murder. The man has not been charged and police said it is routine to talk to everyone who communicated with Jones.

Lagan said rampant speculation around Jones's death threatened to hamper the investigation in the early days. "The issue of Facebook rumours, as well as highly speculative reporting by some news outlets in the early days of this case, did present some challenges for the investigators," Lagan said, adding, "Those issues resolved themselves quickly."

Jones's mother, Mary Jim, occasionally calls investigators, partly to assure herself they are still doggedly working on the case and partly in the faint hope she will get answers.

"They always ask me if I have questions and I say, 'Yes, I do, but you won't be able to answer them,'" she said. The people who do claim to have answers are armchair detectives who come to her with wild, often hurtful theories about Jones's death.

"I had one cab driver tell me she was chopped up into pieces," Jim said, her voice breaking. "I said that to the RCMP and they said, 'No she wasn't chopped up.' "

Jim said she thinks she knows who is responsible for Tyeshia's murder but will not accuse anyone publicly. "I want to point fingers, but then again, I don't want it to be wrong, so I keep it to myself," she said.

Through donations, the family has raised $12,000 as a reward for anyone who provides information that leads to a conviction.

Jim worries that teenagers who want to do the right thing are hampered by a reluctance to be labelled "snitches."

kderosa@timescolonist.com

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Hundreds+spoken+Duncan+homicide+inquiry/6030362/story.html

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »
RCMP make an arrest in two Vancouver Island homicides

By KATIE DeROSA, Victoria Times Colonist April 20, 2012 5:02 PM

RCMP say they have made an arrest in the killings of two Duncan women, 18-year-old Tyeshia Jones and 42-year-old Karrie Ann Stone.

RCMP have not released the name of the person charged but said details of the arrest will be made public at a press conference Saturday at the Duncan Fire Hall.

"Chief Supt. Wayne Rideout and Supt. Jim Gresham from the B.C. RCMP will speak to the details of the case, and recent arrest," according to a press release. "Family members of both victims have been invited to attend," and the victims' families are asking for privacy until the press conference while they process the news.

Jones's body was found on Jan. 28, 2011, in a wooded area near the Shaker Church cemetery off Indian Road on Cowichan Tribes land.

She went missing early on Jan. 22 after leaving a friend's house on Miller Road to meet a male friend at the Superstore on the Trans-Canada Highway.

Stone's charred remains were found July 12, 2010, in a wooded area in Glenora, only one kilometre from where Jones's body was dumped. Stone was last seen July 7 outside the Super 8 Motel on the Trans-Canada Highway in Duncan, where she lived.

Speculation was rampant that the two murders were related but police refused to confirm that or say if the two deaths were random or targeted, or were sexually motivated.

Police have not released the cause of death in either slaying.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/RCMP+announce+arrest+Vancouver+Island+homicides/6494364/story.html

click to enlarge picture

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2012, 12:38:20 PM »
I'm disturbed to read that the accused killer is only 24 years old, which makes him more like 22 when he killed the first woman. The average serial killer was supposed to be 29 when he starts killing women, but we are seeing some very violent offenders in BC at a young age. Is this a new trend and does it speak to the crisis in young men's lives and the bad economy making the budding psychopath/sociopath all the more likely to strike earlier in life than he might have in the past?

And before someone says that a serial killer must kill more than two women in order to be defined as a serial killer, I say a man arrested after killing two women was on his way to becoming a serial killer if he technically wasn't one already!

RIP Tyeshia and thinking of your family today.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/04/21/bc-tyeshia-jones-arrest-duncan.html
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:47:37 PM by leonagleant »

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »
This perp is likely good for more. There were other burned remains located in BC but I can't remember whom, off the top of my head. Police did not give up here and did a remarkable job.
If he is suspect of both, he is disorganized, correct? Likely just beginning, with some other murdered persons that can now be attributed to him.

Rest in peace Tyeshia. Condolences to family and friends.  :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:57:02 AM by SAP »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »
B.C. police confirm arrest in women's slayings

Duncan man held in connection with deaths of Tyeshia Jones, Karrie Ann Stone
CBC News Posted: Apr 21, 2012 11:03 AM PT Last Updated: Apr 21, 2012 12:41 PM PT

Mounties in the Vancouver Island city of Duncan have confirmed a local man has been arrested for the slaying of two women.

William Gordon Robert Elliott, 24, was arrested without incident late Friday and remains in police custody as a suspect in the deaths of Karrie Ann Stone, 42, and Tyeshia Jones, 18, RCMP said.

Police have not said how the victims were killed, but Supt. Wayne Rideout said Saturday both were "victims of murder."

Elliott is facing two counts of first-degree murder and is scheduled to appear in provincial court next week.

Investigators said Elliott is known to them, but declined to release further details because the case is before the courts.

CBC News first learned on Friday that the Crown had filed murder charges against Elliott.

Stone's burned body was found along a hiking trail near Glenora in July of 2010, while Jones' body was found in a wooded area near Duncan in January of 2011.

'Disturbing homicides'

RCMP Supt. Jim Gresham said the arrest is the result of "thousands of hours" of investigative work.

Karrie Ann Stone's body was found badly burned in an isolated wooded area. (RCMP)"Throughout these investigations we were mindful of the need to provide the communities of the Cowichan Valley with as much information as we could in order to address public fear after these disturbing homicides," he said.

"We had to strike a balance between what could be said and what was required to absolutely protect and maintain the integrity of the investigation.

"As the two investigations converged and a single suspect was identified, investigators worked around the clock to establish sufficient evidence to arrest and charge the suspect."

Stone's mother, Beth, said the arrest is bittersweet.

"It's been a long road, going on two years now, and it's changed a lot of my family and what we've had to deal with Karrie's loss and just all the questions in our mind [around] what happened to her and why it has happened," she said.

"Those answers may never get resolved but I do definitely appreciate everything the police have done."

'We're not supposed to bury our children'

Jones's mother Mary Jim thanked her other children and the community for their support.

"Losing her — you know, we're not supposed to bury our children, they're supposed to bury us," she said.

"It's like a rollercoaster, I guess you could say but I'll tell you one thing — I let the anger go. I've been angry, waking up angry, and I can't live like that because I have kids, so I let the anger go. I love my daughter Tyeshia and I miss her."

Duncan, B.C.Jones's cousin Joe Thorne says news of the arrest is a painful yet welcome relief to the community.

"It's bitter closure because we'd rather have Tyeshia here, we'd rather have Carrie Ann Stone here — but we don't," he said.

"At least we can try to give them the justice they deserve and their families can say: 'You're home now. Walk on.'"

Duncan is located in the Cowichan Valley about halfway between Nanaimo and Victoria.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/04/21/bc-tyeshia-jones-arrest-duncan.html?cmp=rss
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 06:19:38 PM by debbiec »

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »
Happy that justice will be served.  Because I have an analitic mind I cant help but wonder the why?  Why would this Man kill these two poor woman, who seem to be worlds apart , in age, culture, etc.  Wonder what makes that kind of person tic.  Sad that it seems some of her family knew this person, just showes that we never know what people we do know are capable of. 

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2012, 10:59:04 PM »
Both these women were vulnerable. One being young at 18 years old (we don't know if under the influence or sober at the time) and walking at 2 a.m. alone down a deserted road by the sounds of it. The other being older, living at a motel, and reportedly having a history of addiction. The answer as to why this young man from the first nations reserve and raised in foster care would target two women with little in common? Opportunism. Women walking around late at night can not really fancy themselves safe and carrying a cell phone cannot save your life especially if you are taken by surprise. I do not mean in any way to blame the victims, I'm just commenting on the way I see the world unfortunately.

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2012, 09:11:01 AM »
Perhaps the older murder was one of opportunity? Perhaps this perp is very troubled and he is "known" to police so he has some sort of records with the law. He was in foster homes so who knows what he endured there or even at home prior to being removed. Perhaps Carrie Ann reminded him of his mother or foster mothers with whom he had a falling out?
He was seemingly known to Tyeshia and her friends and they probably did not suspect he was of a violent nature. I wonder if the last call Tyeshia got on her cell was from him.

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2012, 09:21:55 AM »
http://m.ctv.ca/bc/20120421/bc_first_degree_murder_charges_vancouver_island_120421.html

Excerpt:

"Police say although charges have been laid, the investigation is ongoing.

A forensic team searched for evidence tied to the two killings in an abandoned home on the outskirts of Duncan Friday night and Saturday morning. It is unclear what the connection is to Elliott, who has a criminal record for break and enter and breach of probation.

Cowichan Chief Harvey Alphonse says Elliott had a troubled childhood.

"He was taken away from his family as a young kid," Alphonse said.

His words came on the heels of another elder's appeal to let the justice system do its work.

"I do need to caution all of us not to take revenge, not to seek revenge, but let the law handle that part," Arvid Charlie said to the group at the press conference.

Jim says her relatives had indirect ties to the arrested man.

"My nephews actually grew up with him, they went to school with him, they knew who his friends were," she said.

Cowichan band member Jon Coleman says the strong community support following the murders will help everyone cope as the court proceedings continue."

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »
Duncan double homicide case postponed  

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 10:05 AM
By SunFM News staff
Duncan

It was a full house at the Duncan courthouse Tuesday morning as the families of Tyeshia Jones and Karrie Ann Stone gathered to see the man accused in the two women's murders.

But William Elliott, 24, did not appear by videolink as scheduled.

Defense lawyer Scott Sheets asked for the case to be postponed and with no opposition from the Crown, the judge granted the request.

It's not clear why the case was delayed but Elliott is now scheduled to appear in court June 26.

SunFM News is waiting for a response from Sheets' office and the Public Prosection Service of Canada.

Elliott is charged with two counts of first-degree murder. Jones was was dead in Duncan in January 2011 and Stone in Glenora in July, 2010.

http://hqcowichanvalley.com/home/local/news/Local/12/05/22/Duncan-double-homicide-case-postponed

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2013, 10:54:33 PM »
Sentencing to be deferred for Duncan man who killed two women

Jeff Bell / Times Colonist
December 12, 2013 10:12 PM

The sentencing hearing for William Gordon Robert Elliott on two counts of second-degree murder will not begin Monday in Duncan as scheduled.

Elliott, 25, pleaded guilty in July to killing Karrie Ann Stone and Tyeshia Jones.

The burned body of Stone, 42, was found in July 2010 in a wooded area near Duncan. She was beaten with a baseball bat and set on fire while she was still alive. The body of Jones, 18, was found in January 2011, near Duncan’s Shaker church cemetery. She had been run over with a truck and also had blunt-force head injuries.

Elliott, a married father, revealed details of the crimes to undercover police officers pretending to be part of a crime organization.

When Elliott pleaded guilty, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Keith Bracken ordered a pre-sentence report that looked at psychiatric issues as well as a Gladue report, which is specific to aboriginal offenders.

Additional reports may be required, and Crown prosecutors expect a new sentencing date to be set Monday.

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/sentencing-to-be-deferred-for-duncan-man-who-killed-two-women-1.757898

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here