Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Perry Wong/Eloise Fendelet missing Dec 27/10 FOUND DECEASED  (Read 38038 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Perry Wong/Eloise Fendelet missing Dec 27/10
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 06:48:12 PM »
Here is more about their business
Taken from Financial Post January 22, 2011

An active Edmonton couple in their 70s has been missing since last month and police need help tracking them down, officers said Friday. Perry Kit Wong, 72, and his common-law wife, Eloise Fendelet, 71, were last seen by a friend on the evening of Dec. 27, said Const. Jim Gurney at a news conference. An employee and close friend of the couple contacted police Jan. 5 to report he was worried the pair had not returned to their dental business on Jan. 3 and could not be located. The couple live in an apartment downtown and visit the office every day, said the employee, who did not want his name published.

Read more: http://www.financialpost.com/related/topics/Police+searching+Edmonton+couple/4148791/story.html#ixzz1BoaE1pRf

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 06:57:52 PM »
This is what I don't understand.  All accounts so far, say this couple was active and had lots of friends.   Knowing that, I think the couple would have had plans for New Year's Eve......even if it was just going out for dinner.  But not with another couple or two?     I know that is 4 days after they were last seen, but I would think people would be more suspicious by New Year's.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
Jobo: New Years!! You have raised a very valuable point. The only way "around that" is if the couple never mentioned anything about New Years plans to anyone.  But, why do that?  I am wondering if perhaps this couple didn't tell people too much about their plans in general. They had each other, and to them that was the most important thing.
But not mention New Years?? Now that would be incredible.

PEACE
JB

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »
I wonder if the perps accosted them at the dental lab hoping for some kind of drugs...

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 08:51:23 PM »
SAP - the turtle is another good one.
So far it's - not missed on New Year's Eve and:
Did she designate a staff member to feed the turtle over Xmas - New Years? or was it left to her?
The police should be able to check these two items out.
Any more brainstorms?

PEACE
JB

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 09:13:35 PM »
If a crime was committed in business, or in home, police would have found some evidence - surely.

PEACE
JB

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
We now have 3 Business People missing in Edmonton.  Mike Kozicki in November, and this couple in December.

PEACE
JB

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 09:21:20 PM »
Yes, I belive Police would have found evidence, but they were probably apprehended between home and workplace. As much as the city council is trying to spruce up the downtown Edmonton, and it is a very lovely place now...I wouldn't be caught down there unless I was in a locked vehicle.

Here is the article on the couple:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2011/01/22/16990831.html

EDMONTON - Friends and colleagues are calling the disappearance of an Edmonton couple "beyond unusual."

The last time local business owners 72-year-old Perry Kit Wong and his common-law wife Eloise Fendelet, 71, were seen was Dec. 27.

The pair were supposed to return to work on Jan. 3, but colleagues have yet to see or hear any trace of them, sparking the police to get involved.

"We have now listed them as missing persons," said Const. Sean Jenkinson with the city police missing persons unit. "It causes concern for ourselves, as investigators, that we haven't been able to track them down and the fact that people know them best have concerns they are not around."

According to a close friend and employee, who did not want to be named, Fendelet has owned her small dental lab for the past 33 years and treated the business "like her baby."

When the couple would go on holidays, they would let staff know weeks ahead of time, and would often call to check in while they were away. Leaving the business without notice would be completely out of character, the man added.

The man said the couple don't have any relatives in Edmonton, with Fendelet hailing from Saskatchewan and Wong from China.

The couple also don't have any children, he said, but Fendelet's pride and joy is her tortoise Ruby, who she keeps at the office.

Trying to sleep at night without any word from the couple has been difficult for everyone who knows them, he said.

"This is not something I wish anybody to have to go through. This goes beyond unusual behaviour to the point where it's inconceivable behaviour," said the man, who is pleading for the couple to contact their employees to let them know they are OK.

"When you lay awake at night, things enter your mind. I would hate to think any type of misfortune fell on them. I don't even want to think about that."

Police said the couple's vehicles have been accounted for, although it is possible they could have rented a vehicle.

Bank records have also been checked, along with transportation companies to see if they have traveled somewhere, but so far police said there has been no activity to help them determine the location of the couple, described as "active."

"At this time, we just feel it's in our best interest to go out to the public," said Jenkinson, who didn't say if police are treating the disappearance as suspicious. "It's out of character for the couple. All options are on the table."

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 10:27:50 PM »
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Police+seek+information+elderly+Alta+couple+gone+missing/4147904/story.html

A portion taken from Edmonton Journal

The man, who did not want his name published, said in an interview Friday he was the last person to see Wong on Dec. 27.

The 31-year-old employee has worked for 10 years at the west-end dental business that Fendelet has owned for 33 years. Fendelet and Wong live in an apartment downtown and visit Fendelet's business every day, he said. They don't have children and have distant relatives who live out of the province. The busy pair has many friends and they go out often for lunches and suppers and socialize regularly, he said.

"You'd never know their age, watching them living day to day. They both have valid driver's licences . . . Eloise goes to the gym regularly," the employee said.

"I work for them, but we have been family from the time I started working here. They have taken a special interest in my life and have helped me along the way. They are as close to me as my own parents."

Edmonton police officially listed Wong and Fendelet as missing Jan. 18, and the missing persons unit is now investigating.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Police+seek+information+elderly+Alta+couple+gone+missing/4147904/story.html#ixzz1BpTW6ISG

PEACE
JB

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 11:41:31 PM »
Their business was in the west end of the city, but they lived downtown.  the employee saw them last on the 27th (Mon)  I.m guessing at work.  So if no vehicles missing they must have made it home that day.  Jan 3  (mon) The window for being missing is very large, 1 week.  I hope police have checked with all neighbors on their floor for any disturbances, or sightings.  Very strange

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »
Elderly couples will at times do things on the spur of the moment.  Perhaps they decided to take a nice short winter walk in the River Valley.  They may have got lost, and froze to death.  The River Valley can be accessed downtown.

We had a case here about 2 years ago, where a couple celebrating their anniversary disappeared.  After the guests left, they went missing.  The dishes were left on the table etc. and their car was gone. 
People were concerned about foul play.
They were found miles away from home, on a logging road.  They had  succumbed to the elements.
This area, was not even familiar to them.  The question, as far as I know, is how did they end up there?

Another woman in Edmonton went to a family gathering in a small town outside of the city.  She left the party to return home, and never got there.  She was found two days later, miles off course of her destination in her car on a dead end road. She suffered frost bite, but was otherwise okay - thank heavens.

At times when people go missing, it can be as simple as getting lost in an area where it is not always heavily populated.

PEACE
JB

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 11:46:52 AM »
JB excellent thoughts, as this couple were said to be very active, and certainly did not look their true age  to me anyway.  If nothing else was missing and their apartment didn't show any clues it is a better observation than that they took off on a holiday without telling anyone.

I understand there is or was massive snow there recently, so I guess ground searchs in the river areas would be very hard to do now.   

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 02:32:52 PM »
http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/video/index.html?categoryID=1050122435

I just checked the weather on Global December 27th, and the forecast was 1-2cm of snow for the 28th temps -9.  Yes, we have had loads of snow, and in trying to think that far back (just after Xmas)it wasn't like it is today. So the weather was fairly mild for winter and walkable.
But who knows what happened to them? Gosh, I hope that they are alright. How can an elderly couple in the City just disappear like that?  I am sure the police have checked their apartment, their place of work, and probably have not found anything amiss.
The fact that they always call the place of business and have not done so, is very troubling to those that new them, and to the police.
As I said that is 3 business people who have gone missing in just over a month.  Probably no connection - but still.
If they suddenly decided to take "a little trip" say by bus (even) they would certainly make arrangements for their turtle.

PEACE
JB
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:35:17 PM by jellybean »

Old Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 04:07:21 PM »
I do believe there is much more to this story than is being published at this time. Not much is being said about Perry that would truly identify him. From the picture, I think I know him. He may have been born in China, but he has been in Canada most of his life. If it is the Perry I knew he was from Moose Jaw Sk. and part of a very prominent business family there. He would still have a brother there. Perry was also in the dental business early on, but more recently in other businesses, possibly as a developer. I would be looking at his business conections and recent activities.

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »
That is interesting, thank you. Another person into real estate, more or less.
Plus one more thing that bothers me...staffers said they alerted Police before and after they did considerable searching, so Police knew by January 5th the couple was missing, yet nothing hit the news until January 18th. That's quite a gap for missing persons.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here