Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Richard Keith Orsten 65 Edmonton man charged over decades old sex assault  (Read 5309 times)

Carol-Lynn

Police in Lethbridge have charged a 65-year-old Edmonton man in connection with a sexual assault that occurred more than 30 years ago.

According to police, the alleged assaults occurred between 1975 and 1976 when the accused, who lived near Lethbridge in the small town of Coaldale, sexually assaulted a 10-year-old girl on multiple occasions.

The girl was in the man's care as a foster child.

Lethbridge Police spokeswoman Kristin Harding said the victim, now 45, didn't contact police about the alleged abuse until June 2009 when she was living in another jurisdiction.

The case was turned over to police in Lethbridge, who were able to lay charges after a year-and-a-half long investigation.

"It's fairly uncommon to lay charges in cases going back this far, but it's not unheard of," said Harding. "The passage of time can make it more difficult to investigate, but it's not impossible."

Richard Keith Orsten is charged with sexual assault and indecent assault. He is slated to appear Lethbridge court Feb. 16
http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/alberta/2011/01/05/16774896.html

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
I hope they check this guy out.

Coaldale is close to Taber, which is where many feel the killer of Kelly Cook was from.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
.  Court is July 4/prelim

I was told via email he goes to court on July 4th. That is good. The brave person who came forward must be nervous but I am sure she knows she is doing a good.

It is especially interesting when you consider Kelly Cook was found in 1981, just south of Taber at the Chin Lakes reservoir from a probable rape gone bad.

Thanks for the notice of which date he goes to court.

SAP

http://www.cjob.com/Channels/News/Edmonton/story.aspx?ID=1580203

Edmontonian jailed for 1970s sex crime involving girl
1:50pm
Click here to email Brent Pushkarenko
12/1/2011

An Edmonton man is going to jail for sex crimes involving a girl dating back to the mid-1970s in southern Alberta.
Richard Keith Orsten, 66, will spend 18 months behind bars after pleading guilty to indecent assault in a Lethbridge courtroom.
Orsten was charged early this year following a lengthy investigation by police.
The offence involved a girl who was just 10 and 11 at the time, in 1975 and 1976. She was a foster child living with Orsten's family in the town of Coaldale, just east of Lethbridge, at the time.
Besides the year-and-a-half jail sentence, Orsten will have to submit a sample of his DNA and his name will appear on the national sex offender registry. (bp)

leonagleant

• View Profile
Foster parent? That means there are probably numerous victims that were under his care.

SAP

It took the police several years to find enough on him on the one case. I suppose only because the young girl blew the whistle; others may not have. I'm not sure if he was the same person however there is a Richard Keith Orsten who was a man of the cloth and in that category he was likely very much in contact with young children through the church and likely never a suspect either for that reason. The church he pastored in was north of Edmonton in a small community. Only 18 months sentence for a life sentence of psychological effects for a young girl ... it is not right!

eta:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/alberta/2011/01/05/16774896.html

The lady didn't report the abuse until 2009.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:57:50 PM by SAP »

Sap1

• View Profile
This person now retired from "preaching" supposedly has had the Net scrubbed pretty well? He is not on the sex offender registry either! Flying under the radar once again??

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
This is the third pervert, in as many weeks, I've noticed managed to keep his face out of the news after being convicted.  Money hides shame.  ... we'll find a pic of the bastard eventually.

Sap1

• View Profile
With the deplorable state our province is in, he is probably running a day home for children with blessings from Child services.

eta: I had previously found a lot of info and posted here ... there were a few pages I remember, but now all is pretty well gone.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
true Sap;  we have been trying since years, to get those faces out there.  We had lots of links to pictures, but the John Howard Society, the government officials, and the mighty dollar either close those links down, or have certain faces deleted.  They use lame excuses like protecting the identity of victims (who may be known by "who did the crime")
.  ... and of course, they use privacy issues such as: once an individual does his time and passes "go", he needs to be kept secret so that he can find employment and a place to live.

It is all a pack of bull that goes back and forth to accommodate the rich and/or influential .... or their relative or friends.